Author Topic: 東方三月精 ~ Visionary Fairies in Shrine. "Gensokyo's Weakest Are Back."  (Read 88601 times)

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
Re: 東方三月精 ~ Visionary Fairies in Shrine. "Gensokyo's Weakest Are Back."
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2016, 08:05:06 AM »
Never thought I'd see the day where people actually cared for the treatment of fictional Youkai(some of which can break a human easily so a little physical punishment won't hurt them that much).
That being said, Gensokyo really doesn't need any standards applied to it, least not in the case of Youkai, they may look human but they're still very different.

Also, Aya isn't much better.
While she said it was wrong, the way she said it implied she didn't even consider Ran a equal, amounting it to animal abuse.
Despite her clearly not in the leagues of an random fox.
Sometimes Streams at Hitbox.tv/Reu

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2016, 11:03:55 AM »
Also, Aya isn't much better.
While she said it was wrong, the way she said it implied she didn't even consider Ran a equal, amounting it to animal abuse.
Despite her clearly not in the leagues of an random fox.

Been a while since you've actually read that article, I take it? Aya considers herself an animal too.

But seriously, people, stop this already. Yes, this is a thing, and it provides characterization for everyone involved, so it's an important one. If you can abstract yourself away from it then good for you. But as Tengu said earlier, some people might have reasons to dislike it. Could you please stop trying to convince everyone that it's okay? People are free to have their own opinions you know, fictional characters or not.

Though all this talk reminded me of something. Remember how shikigami are supposed to be like computers? Well, you know how some people hit their computers in frustration if they act up? I believe Yukari/Ran situation might be just a reference to that.

Drake

« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2016, 11:46:10 AM »
Remember how shikigami are supposed to be like computers? Well, you know how some people hit their computers in frustration if they act up? I believe Yukari/Ran situation might be just a reference to that.
that's kind of literally it, yes

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Jeremie

• MoonScraper
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2016, 12:57:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure the whole beating thing with Eirin in "Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth" was merely exaggerated canon in general even though we see a mention of Reisen getting punished during "Forbidden Scrollery". I also think it goes much beyond an attitude issue seeing how Reisen is Eirin's student. Toyohime and Yorihime's visit at Eientei showed Yorihime giving a training just as harsh as Eirin would give (as shown with Reisen II being shaken up just as much as Reisen) to her student. Chances are the Watatsuki sisters went through the same thing and I always thought that the implication is that Reisen is being trained to grow in a similar way which clashes with the lifestyle Moon rabbits have (A bit detailed in "Cage in Lunatic Runagate").

While it's obviously wrong to give violent punishments whether it's Yukari to Ran or Eirin to Reisen, it's very clear that Eirin cares for Reisen. After all, the reason why she calls her Udonge (I don't fully remember but it has to do with how Reisen will grow to become a beautiful thing) is actually kind of heartwarming.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by Rumia.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2016, 04:02:46 PM »
Been a while since you've actually read that article, I take it? Aya considers herself an animal too.

Yes, thank you. Moreover, it's the reason why she's scandalized in the first place:

When I arrived, I saw in front of me a fox being dominated, a truly shocking view of animal abuse.
As I am a crow tengu, this case is extremely heart-wrenching.
The offender of this animal abuse is Yukari Yakumo

She expresses solidarity with Ran here. It would take a really ungenerous interpretation to read this as Aya looking down at her. Most interestingly, I think this shows a level of compassion we don't normally see very often from Gensokyans, let alone Gensokyo's resident troll.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2016, 08:12:32 PM »
Yes, thank you. Moreover, it's the reason why she's scandalized in the first place:

She expresses solidarity with Ran here. It would take a really ungenerous interpretation to read this as Aya looking down at her. Most interestingly, I think this shows a level of compassion we don't normally see very often from Gensokyans, let alone Gensokyo's resident troll.

I don't see it that way because she called herself a Crow Tengu.

I guess we just see it differently then.
EDIT: And to understand where I'm coming from with this, Aya herself has Crow Familiars, I take that for the reason why she doesn't like seeing others abuse their "pets"
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:19:23 PM by Reu »

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2016, 08:27:04 PM »
I don't see it that way because she called herself a Crow Tengu.

I guess we just see it differently then.
EDIT: And to understand where I'm coming from with this, Aya herself has Crow Familiars, I take that for the reason why she doesn't like seeing others abuse their "pets"

Seriously, read that article. Because it says at the end:

The offender continued with her irrational claims, attempting to justify her abuse. As I am half animal, I intend to pursue this further.

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2016, 08:27:46 PM »
Seriously, read that article. Because it says at the end:
HALF, never has she once referred to Ran as anything more than a animal.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2016, 08:52:22 PM »
HALF, never has she once referred to Ran as anything more than a animal.
Why would she be stating she is half-animal in this context if she wasn't angry at this fact?

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2016, 08:54:48 PM »
Why would she be stating she is half-animal in this context if she wasn't angry at this fact?
Why feel the need to distinct yourself in this context at all?
Like I said though, you guys could think differently about the topic, I already have my own opinion on it.

« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2016, 11:11:37 PM »
Like I said though, you guys could think differently about the topic, I already have my own opinion on it.

Yes, and this is offering of opinion from the other side. All that can be done is we disagree.

Tengukami

« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2016, 01:27:40 PM »

"I have my opinion" does not shield you from your interpretation of the facts upon which your opinion rests being criticised. Just for future reference.

Seems pretty clear to me in Aya's own words what she means, and I think it's safe to say Aya is aware that Ran is not an ordinary fox. You're entitled to your interpretation of her words, just as others are entitled to question your interpretation. But as it seems you're pretty dug in to your take on the matter, it's probably pointless to continue this volley.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 02:00:17 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2016, 05:36:02 PM »
"I have my opinion" does not shield you from your interpretation of the facts upon which your opinion rests being criticised. Just for future reference.

Seems pretty clear to me in Aya's own words what she means, and I think it's safe to say Aya is aware that Ran is not an ordinary fox. You're entitled to your interpretation of her words, just as others are entitled to question your interpretation. But as it seems you're pretty dug in to your take on the matter, it's probably pointless to continue this volley.
Saying "I have my opinion" is another way of saying that we're not going to get anywhere with this conversation, never have I said anything of that sort.

« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2016, 06:31:05 PM »
While it's obviously wrong to give violent punishments whether it's Yukari to Ran or Eirin to Reisen, it's very clear that Eirin cares for Reisen. After all, the reason why she calls her Udonge (I don't fully remember but it has to do with how Reisen will grow to become a beautiful thing) is actually kind of heartwarming.

Udongein is the flower that blooms in the presence of impurity. The implication was that Reisen is the canary in the coalmine: the member of the household that is most sensitive to impurity and will be used as a test subject to see how lunar beings react to living on Earth. It's not really flattering.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:32:54 PM by Clarste »

« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2016, 03:06:44 PM »
This whole discussion on the ethics of Yukari beating Ran and the way Aya goes about when discovering it really in the end is simply pointless. After all, when I cleared the extra mode in PCB, using Reimu as my avatar.... I, Half-Grand, beat Ran into submission myself and demanded her to wake Yukari from her slumber. Dose that make me an evil person? I don't think so. Everyone is Gensokyo gets a beating on a regular basis so focusing on this incident with Yukari and Ran is simply a speck of sand on a whole entire beach of beatings. I mean, what about all of those nameless fairies that we slaughter mercilessly on our playthroughs of the main games and the bosses on each level that often are not even that serious on fighting us?

Udongein is the flower that blooms in the presence of impurity. The implication was that Reisen is the canary in the coalmine: the member of the household that is most sensitive to impurity and will be used as a test subject to see how lunar beings react to living on Earth. It's not really flattering.

Well... Eirin is a woman of science and medicine. Endearment or experiment, it fits her character well.

Without Eirin and her fondness of 'punishment time', we wouldn't have such great music videos like Sadistic Eirin and her S&M club! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvzg4d4BWUY
 _, ,_ ∩
( ゚∀゚)彡 Eirin! Eirin! Please beat me, Eirin!!!
  ⊂彡

But anyway, lets actually discuss what this thread is about, shall we? I took a glace over the first chapter of VFiS and I'm really liking what I see of it so far. I will look forward to more installments.

... Clownpiece still is a cocky little shit who just got off the Hell boat to Gensokyo, it seems.

Tengukami

« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2016, 10:58:37 PM »
This whole discussion on the ethics of Yukari beating Ran and the way Aya goes about when discovering it really in the end is simply pointless. After all, when I cleared the extra mode in PCB, using Reimu as my avatar.... I, Half-Grand, beat Ran into submission myself and demanded her to wake Yukari from her slumber. Dose that make me an evil person? I don't think so.

I know you were hoping to say your piece and re-rail this rollercoaster of a thread, but I should point out that no one has called anyone, in Gensokyo or out here in the real world, "evil". A couple people expressed discomfort with a stronger being beating a weaker one with an umbrella, and then we got tailspun on this weird argument about whether Aya thinks of herself as animal, or part animal, and if it matters. Silly and mostly harmless, yes, but I think pretty much everyone here is aware that Gensokyo is a place of danger and flexible morality; some people just bristle at certain depictions of physical abuse, for their own reasons, which I think is a totally fine position to take that doesn't require a reminder of what a psychotic place Gensokyo is.

Like, if I watch an action movie and people are shooting and blowing each other up, it won't phase me, but some little kid gets hurt and I nope the fuck out of the movie - I know the whole movie is violent, but certain types of violence are just unbearable for me. I think this is important to have in mind when people side-eye things that happen in Gensokyo. Although having said that, just how psychotic Gensokyo is is very important to remember anytime someone talks about how cool it would be to end up in Gensokyo, or how idyllic it must be to live there. I don't understand those people. Have they ever played Touhou? Gensokyo is like Somalia with flying magical girls.

Hey this turned out to be a fun discussion after all!

Jeremie

• MoonScraper
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2016, 04:53:51 AM »

I took a quick read into CiLR since it's been quite a while and...

Thinking of which, Eirin often calls Reisen "Udonge." I wonder why that is? She must think of her as something to gauge the extent of the impurity that's creeping into us... Or perhaps it's meant to mean that a moon rabbit who knew no impurity on the moon will become something beautiful when touched by the Earth's.

... It kind of does sound like you say but at the same time it also feels like it can be left open to interpretations. Touhou has a lot of serious and dark undertones regarding many aspects but further depictions of Eirin in various other events seems to make it quite possible that the latter bit from Kaguya's thoughts is quite literal even though yes, Eirin takes advantage of Reisen's abilities in multiple ways. However, Eirin's tone with Reisen also comes off as an adult dealing with an overly excited child at times. Chances are that the physical punishments she gives to Reisen are completely open to interpretation as it often happens with Touhou seeing how "Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth" were wacky adventures and later in FS we're told she was gently scolded by her master (dunno if we'd want quotation marks around gently) after she acted without permission.

I'm not trying to argue about this, just that Eientei, the Lunar Capital and the Myouren Temple are settings that I find interesting and fun to discuss about. 

And then I missed HalfGrand's reply which addressed this well. Whoops, I'll try to remember knowing how to read from now on, lulz.  :V
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:17:01 AM by Jeremie »
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by Rumia.

« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2016, 06:34:17 AM »
... Clownpiece still is a cocky little shit who just got off the Hell boat to Gensokyo, it seems.

She is a stage 5 boss, I don't see why she wouldn't be cocky.

« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2016, 06:13:53 PM »
She is a stage 5 boss, I don't see why she wouldn't be cocky.

Well, looking back at the last stage 5 bosses we have had (I'm thinking of Shou and Futo in particular), they never really gave off the vibe of a hyperactive ADHD demon child that was left to run riot. Stage 5 bosses were motivated to protect their boss most of the time while Clownpiece was just kinda let loose to terrorize the moon populous and that power that Hecatia infused in her kinda got to her head. The only stage 5 boss that got near her level of cockiness was probably Rin and that was simply because she wanted to wheel your soul away in her cat-cart.

Actually, I can see quite a few parallels with SA here now that I think about it.  :V

Kyahahahaha! It's lunatic tiiiime! Welcome to a world of madness! If anyone comes from the Lunar
Capital, show them no mercy! Ooh, I got a good idea just now. How about I make you cry and silence you?

Nigga please, your so about to get a spanking that your mamma never gave you (and I gave her that spanking, on normal mode in point device).

Seriously, her dialogue reminds me of an overly spoiled brat who thinks the sun shines out of her star spangled arse. So annoying! :flamingv:

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2016, 08:29:19 PM »
Seriously, her dialogue reminds me of an overly spoiled brat who thinks the sun shines out of her star spangled arse. So annoying! :flamingv:

Well, in her defense:

1) empowered or not, she is still a Fairy, ergo not particularly bright
2) before meeting the player, she basically was kicking the ass of a very arrogant and powerful race by simply existing.... a serious ego-boosting feat  :V

« Reply #140 on: February 12, 2016, 08:43:58 PM »

Yeah, she's Cirno. And Sunny. All fairies are like that, it's great.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2016, 05:25:43 AM »
Hirasaka has been tweeting about his experience with Touhou.

Interestingly, he happened to get into the hobby of mineral collecting a short while before covering this very topic in OSP Chapter 14. He posted a pic of an "iron rose" hematite, the same mineral Marisa found in said chapter.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2016, 10:24:34 AM »
I can't wait to get my Touhou reading backlog up to OSP. Marisa finding a precious mineral sounds like an interesting and straightforward story.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2016, 05:26:16 AM »
The Melonbooks preorder bonus book cover for FS Vol. 5 (Apr 26 release) is looking pretty good.

(Click through for the full-sized image)
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2016, 02:46:24 PM »
The Melonbooks preorder bonus book cover for FS Vol. 5

YES yes yes yes yes oh goodness, all my YES! Byaaaakuren!

Ichirin is looking pretty banchō there too. Lovin' it!

Namusan!

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2016, 02:57:33 PM »
And she still has her bike too, nice.

New issue just got translated, and in it:

*SPOILERS* (Too lazy to remember how to do spoiler tag.)

They try playing a prank on Reimu, Marisa, Yuyuko, and Youmu. Clownpiece uses her touch of insanity to make Youmu go crazy, but all that happens is that Youmu threatens to cut things, and then she falls over and goes unconscious, Raymoo, Marisa and Yuyuko just shake it off as Youmu being drunk. And the Fairies are all like patting themselves on the back when NO ONE EVEN GOT HURT, hell not even Youmu had much happened to her, jeez, they sure are shitty pranksters! Whatever happened to scaring youmu with obviously fake ghosts?
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

New issue just got translated, and in it:

*SPOILERS* (Too lazy to remember how to do spoiler tag.)

They try playing a prank on Reimu, Marisa, Yuyuko, and Youmu. Clownpiece uses her touch of insanity to make Youmu go crazy, but all that happens is that Youmu threatens to cut things, and then she falls over and goes unconscious, Raymoo, Marisa and Yuyuko just shake it off as Youmu being drunk. And the Fairies are all like patting themselves on the back when NO ONE EVEN GOT HURT, hell not even Youmu had much happened to her, jeez, they sure are shitty pranksters! Whatever happened to scaring youmu with obviously fake ghosts?

I think the idea is that they were too busy running away to look back and see what actually happened, so they just assumed it worked because they successfully hit their target. Also Youmu didn't simply "theaten" to cut, she was actually swinging her sword but everyone else was casually dodging her while eating and chatting because it's Touhou and they're used to that.

I think the idea is that they were too busy running away to look back and see what actually happened, so they just assumed it worked because they successfully hit their target. Also Youmu didn't simply "theaten" to cut, she was actually swinging her sword but everyone else was casually dodging her while eating and chatting because it's Touhou and they're used to that.
I know, i phrased my post badly, but my point still stands, whats the point of an prank if your not even going to to watch it? Stupid Fairies!
Also i wouldn't be surprised if the next chapter is about the Fairies finding out that their prank was a total bust. And so they'll have to reclaim their honor. Or Youmu is still suffering from madness and they have to fix the problem they started. Or they'll get cut into sushi!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 05:46:52 AM by the old guy »
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Next chapter is in 3 months so probably not. Considering it's a "seasonal" publication, I'd imagine the focus is going to be on Clownpiece reacting to some uniquely summer event. I wouldn't expect any direct follow-ups to anything that happened this chapter.

In general, the Touhou comics are pretty obsessed with the seasons. Like, every other chapter starts with them talking about the weather or festivals or something. They're very grounded in a specific time of year. This tri-monthly fairy comic is going to be like that even moreso.