Author Topic: Hourai Teahouse ~ Fantasy Crescendo v0.3.0-alpha Redditaisai Release  (Read 12087 times)

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer

The full v0.3.0-alpha version has been released! https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou/comments/6qcuzt/redditaisai_fantasy_crescendo_v030alpha/.
    Download it at https://houraiteahouse.net.

Important Notes
    • When launching the game, please use the Stable release branch. Development is our nightly build line. It is more regularly updated, but is significantly more unstable.
    • The listed changes and issues are the major ones. For a comprehensive list, please see the [ur=https://github.com/HouraiTeahouse/FantasyCrescendo/blob/develop/CHANGELOG.mdl]patch notes[/url].
    • If you find a bug with the demo, please file it on the GitHub Issue Tracker. This is our authoritative to-do list. If it's not filed as a bug, we likely not address the issue. We also suggest bringing it up on our Discord, it's the fastest way to get in contact with us.
    • We ran into a number of issues leading up to this release. Some planned changes are not currently in. We'll be adding a v0.3.1-alpha hotfix in the near future. v0.3.1-alpha is already live.

Announcements
    • We are switching to a monthly release model. Each month we will be posting a new public demo. **v0.4.0-alpha will be released August 27th**, hopefully with a lot of the current issues fixed.
    • We've been holding bi-weekly meetings on our Discord with a bunch of our contributors to help plan out the future of the game.
    • We are always looking for contributors - If you can code, 3D model, animate, compose music, etc. we strongly encourage you to help make the full game a reality.

Changes and Additions

• Youmu is now playable.
    • The Forest of Magic and Netherworld are open for playtesting.
    • A launcher/patcher for the game has been added. The game will be automatically be updated when there are available updates.
    • Localization into a large number of languages has been added. See the patch notes for more comprehensive list.
    • Game options have been added. Not too many available now. To be expanded in the future.
    • Gamepad control has been reimplemented.
    • Basic network play has been added.
    • Game pausing is now possible. A pause camera has been added.
    • Most movement options have been implemented. See patch notes for more information.
    • A large number of debug functions have been added. See the technical patch notes section for more information.

Known Issues
    • Automatic quality level detection is not implemented, and defaults to Ultra: our no-holds-barred balls-to-the-walls quality setting. If your computer is of an older build, please consider changing this to a lower setting before loading any of the stages.
    • The debug stage has two invisible "stage hazards" for the purposes of testing hitbox interaction. Please press F11 to toggle hitbox display to see them.
    • Gamepad controls are expected to work with a variety of controllers, but has only been tested with Xbox 360 controllers and Mayflash GameCube adapters. If you have issues using a gamepad controller. Please file a bug.
    • While hitboxes and the plethora of features related to them are implemented, attacks currently are purely visual, no hitboxes in response to an attack are spawned.
    • Youmu doesn't have some of her attacks and animations implemented. Many have placeholders or straight up don't have anything for them right now.
    • Menu UI as a whole is currently placeholder and does not work with gamepad input.
    • Smash attacks cannot be charged due to an animation bug.
    • Tapping down may occasionally cause players to jump.
    • Ledge guarding is not implemented yet.
    • Network animation and position synchronization is fairly primitive. May be very choppy, even for people geographically close to each other.

Overview
    Hourai Teahouse is a western doujinsoft circle focused on developing Touhou fangames and open source game development utilities. We currently have small team of developers scattered across the world Outside of creating cool Touhou fangames, one of our main goals is to engage  the western doujin community and encourage participation in creating cool works. Our main project is Fantasy Crescendo a Touhou platform fighting game inspired by Nintendo's Super Smash Brothers.

Supporting/Other Hourai Teahouse Projects

• HouraiLauncher - A game launcher and updater particularly targeted for doujin developers. Employs the principles of continuous deployment for doujin games. See GitHub repo for more details. Used as the way to keep client installations of Fantasy Crescendo up to date.
    • HouraiDeploy - Secure webhook based deployment for websites and games. Integrates with Unity Cloud Build, static file servers (nginx/Apache), and CDN services (CloudFlare) to produce valid web structures for HouraiLauncher to deploy games from.
    • HouraiLib - Library for Unity3D. General utilities library for Hourai Teahouse projects.
    • HouraiOptions - Library for Unity3D. Code-driven options system for Unity3D.
    • HouraiOptions.UI - Extension library for HouraiOptions, enables automatic UI generation for options.
    • SmashBrew - Platform fighting game engine behind Fantasy Crescendo. Unlike Fantasy Crescendo, which is GPLv2+, SmashBrew is more leniently licensed under MIT.
    • HouraiInput - Library for Unity3D. Fork of previously open source InControl. Input device abstraction layer for Unity3D games.

FAQ
    Q: What is your connection with FromSoySauce?
    A: We have zero ties with FromSoySauce and their previous attempt at the game, outside of the fact that we are making a 2.5D Touhou platform fighter.Hourai Teahouse is a separate entity with completely different goals.
    Q: Are there any plans on (crowd)funding this game?
    A; We definitely do not want to crowdfund this game, especially after the FromSoySauce fiasco. However, there were talks of the developers putting in a bit of their own money in for helping further the project. I, james7132, do pay some of the people who contribute to the project as thanks.
    Q: Which characters are going to be in the game?
    A: Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, Youmu, Wriggle, Murasa, Yuuka, and Yuugi. Please see the wiki for more information.
    Q: What stages are going to be in the game?
    A: Confirmed stages are Forest of Magic, Netherworld, and Makai. Others are purely speculative and exploratory for now.
    Q: Can/Will you add X character/stage to the game?
    A: We will not consider additional characters until the base 8 characters are complete. If you feel up to the challenge of creating another character for the game that we do not currently plan, we will gladly accept and add them to the game. We simply ask that you notify us ahead of time.
    Q: When will the game release?
    A: The game is in a rolling release schedule. The development branch, where we continually iterate and improve on the game is publicly available now, and is updated on a near daily basis. The release branch, following the v0.3.0-alpha release on July 29th 2017, will be the "stable" branch, where updates will be regular, but more tested and less often. We aren't sure how often the releases will occur: perhaps monthly or weekly.
    Q: Why is it taking so long to make this game? I want it now~!
    A: We are essentially creating a parody of a AAA game within the Touhou universe with essentially zero funding as a hobbyist group. We are doing this out of our love for the series and not for some quick profit. That said, we all need to put food on the table and have our own personal lives to deal with, so we can't all dedicate our lives/livelihood to completing the game. If you really want to see the game come faster, please help contribute to the project in one way or another.
    Q: I found a bug with the game. Please fix it!
    A: We use Github's issue tracker to keep track of bugs and feature requests. Please log the issue at https://github.com/HouraiTeahouse/FantasyCrescendo/issues. If no issue is logged, we will not acknowledge it.
    Q: I feel like the game is lacking X feature. Please add it!
    A: Please see above regarding bugs. Feature requests are filed in the same way and format.
    Q: I want to help out with the game!
    A: We welcome any and all contributions. We strongly encourage contributors to join our Discord server (see top of thread), as it is the main medium for communication regarding the game's development.[/list]
    « Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:38:28 AM by james7132 »

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
    Re: Hourai Teahouse
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 11:36:40 PM »
    [reserving this post for future use]

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
    « Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 08:08:29 PM »
    Small update: Fantasy Crescendo now supports multiple controller types, including GameCube controllers (for those who are used to playing Melee/Brawl/Sm4sh with them), Xbox360 controllers, and a bunch more. The support is coming from the InControl package (that's the properitary version on the Unity Asset Store), we're using an modified version of the most recent open source version).

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
    « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 10:03:31 PM »
    We now have a preliminary wiki for the project. We will be using this both for documentation of the  characters' status, as well as documentation for the various systems that the game uses.

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
    « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 09:12:54 PM »
    Man, it has been a looooong time since we last posted an update here.

We've had a large number of art updates. ProfitShame has made a bunch of wonderful, in game portraits, which can be seen on our (visually) almost complete character select screen: (Wriggle and Youmu are still in the works, currently using Marisa as a placeholder).

Animation update, Nineball has improved and redone a lot of Marisa's basic animations, other attacks to come soon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08a9m4uyVbE

Music update: Never really posted any of the music we have, did we? Here is our current menu theme (by iceerules/Daydream Workshop): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo4UIl-jsjU. as well as Cresentia's Dream Battle arrange (for use on the Hakurei Shrine):https://soundcloud.com/crescentia/maidens-capriccio-battle-concerto?in=crescentia/sets/touhou-orchestral-suite-grand. There are also very large number of contributed music pieces that I don't even know whether they have been shared online or not, all of an assortment of genres: from orchestral to chiptunes.

Marisa, visually, is almost complete. Her face is rigged, and we have improved all of her textures. No more of that creepy lifeless stare.

Reimu has been modeled and textured, she still needs to have her rig finished and animated, but here she is in-engine:

The Forest of Magic is almost visually complete. The only things that need finishing touches on are the ground texture and the skybox:

We have also increased our language support significantly. The game will automatically detect what language your computer is running, and translate everything without you needing to change the setting. We've added a number of new languages since our last post too.

The progress is slow, but steady.  A lot of our members are meeting up IRL at Anime Boston this March.  We'll be at the Touhou panel giving a talk about fangame development. If you can, come and chill with us then. Hopefully, we'll have a working demo for everyone to play (so much is still broken right now).

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
    « Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 06:25:50 AM »
    Version 0.2.0_pre-alpha of Fantasy Crescendo is available now here.

We've also announced the finalized initial 8 roster (ones announced at Anime Boston are in bold):

• Reimu Hakurei
    • Marisa Kirisame
    • Izayoi Sakuya
    • Youmu Konpaku
    • Wriggle Nightbug
    • Yuuka Kazami
    • Yuugi Hoshiguma
    • Minamitsu Murasa

We're also starting weekly incremental build releases for those interested.

ShadowNCS

• Prinny Overlord
    • Highly Responsive to Jinxes
    « Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 02:57:33 PM »
    • Yuuka Kazami
    • Yuugi Hoshiguma

You just made my day.
    Two of the most powerful physical combatants, one of them my 3rd favorite character and the other one in my top 30 (or so).
    I'm really looking forward to when they are implemented. ^^
    Oh, and when Wriggle can finally do her kick (hehe).  :D

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
    • Pave your own path
    « Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 04:22:28 PM »
    • Minamitsu Murasa
    If you don't make May (Guilty Gear) references I will be sorely disappointed. :colbert:

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
    • Spin like there's no tomorrow
    So which one will be the Ganondorf of the game, Yuugi or Yuuka?
    Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
    Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 02:12:07 AM »
    • Keyboard support is currently entirely broken.

Oo, I guess I won't be able to play it then.

I'm still happy progress is being made and that the cast has been decided, but isn't it a bit too early to start releasing playable teasers?

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
    So which one will be the Ganondorf of the game, Yuugi or Yuuka?
    Probably Yuugi, though that's up in the air right now as we haven't even finished conceptualizing either's moveset yet.

I'm still happy progress is being made and that the cast has been decided, but isn't it a bit too early to start releasing playable teasers?
    The goal of it is that the earlier we test, the more bugs we find, thus the more bugs get patched. We're looking to fix a number of bugs this week, including keyboard support.

Also lol. (Please don't take the post seriously at all, note the date it was posted on).

Drake

10/10

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
    - original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
    Yuuka's Portrait:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfobwdbUMAEEbl2.png:large

WIP Youmu Model:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfoYi1wUkAAPI_f.jpg:large

Wriggle's Finished Model + Alt Colors:
    http://i.imgur.com/fYio3ac.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/3e7ccfW.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/IT1lyiw.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/BJFzou6.jpg

Biweekly Build Update: found here

Images need thumbnailing with so many large ones previewed. --Hele
    « Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 08:22:29 AM by Helepolis »

...Why does Yuuka look so chubby?

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
    I dunno, but I really like that concept art. Her umbrella looking a bit more like it does in PMiSS is a very nice touch too.

I'm curious about why Youmu looks so young, though; like, she looks like a little kid.
    Maybe it's the haircut.
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 11:48:38 PM by Sagus »
    Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
    We've mostly been going off of Soku's height chart for this (shown below), where Youmu is somehow shorter than Marisa, who is already short as hell, though that might be because of stance. (Personally I think a shorter Youmu is cuter)
    https://hisouten.koumakan.jp/images//a/a9/Standing.png

Youmu's been textured barring minor details. Hair color and potentially shape will change. The little strands that usually appear near the ends of her hair will be added via transparency later.
    http://i.imgur.com/d1JiB7Q.jpg

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
    I'm curious about why Youmu looks so young, though; like, she looks like a little kid.
    Maybe it's the haircut.
    Someone needs to take another look at CoLA chapter 13. :V

There's also the official height breakdown from way back
    Quote from: ZUN
    Tall: Sakuya, Meiling, Yukari
    Fairly Tall: Reimu, Yuyuko, Alice, Letty, Ran
    Fairly Short: Marisa, Youmu, Patchouli, Lunasa, Merlin
    Short: Remilia, Lyrica, Chen, Cirno, Rumia, Flandre

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
    Someone needs to take another look at CoLA chapter 13. :V
    ...she looks like a generic anime youth?, which can mean anywhere between 10 to 20 depending on series =P

There's also the official height breakdown from way back
    Height doesn't indicate age either, and by that logic, Marisa should look like a child too =P

I'm not complaining though, I think it's good to have the characters have differences other than clothing, eye shape and hair style.
    Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
    So, I know you have concepts for Touhou locations to turn into stages, but what about the other direction? That is, are there any SSB stages that you want to have an analogue for (like a Battlefield clone, or a scrolling stage where players have to jump between platforms)?

I could see the Sea of Prosperity being used for similar purposes as Final Destination, albeit as a walk-off stage rather than a floating platform. Youkai Space Travel and Lunatic Blue seem like they'd be great fodder for a Final Destination style remix.
    For something where you can actually fall off the edge, maybe the roof of one of the skyscrapers from ULiL's final stage? It's hard to do anything fancy with that location without making it look like Fourside or Saffron City.

The Bamboo Forest of the Lost seems like a decent candidate for a Mushroomy Kingdom type stage (static + side-scrolling).

...she looks like a generic anime youth?, which can mean anywhere between 10 to 20 depending on series =
    Height doesn't indicate age either, and by that logic, Marisa should look like a child too =P
    She spends the whole chapter being childish and being called childish. Rinnosuke even draws attention to her hairdo.

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
    I could see the Sea of Prosperity being used for similar purposes as Final Destination, albeit as a walk-off stage rather than a floating platform. Youkai Space Travel and Lunatic Blue seem like they'd be great fodder for a Final Destination style remix.
    Funny you should mention that. Makai is currently our Final Destination parallel. Probably going to be a floating island above the standard creepy Makai backgrounds. It is far off, there are also ideas of who would be an appropriate Master Hand and Crazy Hand parallels. You can probably guess who they are.

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
    Re: Hourai Teahouse ~ Fantasy Crescendo v0.3.0-alpha Redditaisai Release
    « Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 10:43:32 PM »
    I hate to necro an old thread, but it's been a long while without any updates on this forum regarding the progress made to the game. Been posting our stuff to our social media a lot but haven't updated this since probably this time last year. Big announcement time:

The demo version of Fantasy Crescendo will available for download at Redditaisai on July 29th, 2017. It will  include the following:
    • Playable version of Youmu Konpaku
    • First ingame experience of the Netherworld stage
    • Networking will be available for the first time
    • A new Launcher is added to easily access the game

Until then, we need more testers for the game. Please see https://houraiteahouse.net for more details. It's strongly recommended you join our Discord if you plan on helping out with testing.
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:22:51 PM by james7132 »

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
    « Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 12:36:57 AM »
    The full v0.3.0-alpha version has been released! https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou/comments/6qcuzt/redditaisai_fantasy_crescendo_v030alpha/.
    Download it at https://houraiteahouse.net.

Important Notes
    • When launching the game, please use the Stable release branch. Development is our nightly build line. It is more regularly updated, but is significantly more unstable.
    • The listed changes and issues are the major ones. For a comprehensive list, please see the [ur=https://github.com/HouraiTeahouse/FantasyCrescendo/blob/develop/CHANGELOG.mdl]patch notes[/url].
    • If you find a bug with the demo, please file it on the GitHub Issue Tracker. This is our authoritative to-do list. If it's not filed as a bug, we likely not address the issue. We also suggest bringing it up on our Discord, it's the fastest way to get in contact with us.
    • We ran into a number of issues leading up to this release. Some planned changes are not currently in. We'll be adding a v0.3.1-alpha hotfix in the near future. v0.3.1-alpha is already live.

Announcements
    • We are switching to a monthly release model. Each month we will be posting a new public demo. **v0.4.0-alpha will be released August 27th**, hopefully with a lot of the current issues fixed.
    • We've been holding bi-weekly meetings on our Discord with a bunch of our contributors to help plan out the future of the game.
    • We are always looking for contributors - If you can code, 3D model, animate, compose music, etc. we strongly encourage you to help make the full game a reality.

Changes and Additions
    • Youmu is now playable.
    • The Forest of Magic and Netherworld are open for playtesting.
    • A launcher/patcher for the game has been added. The game will be automatically be updated when there are available updates.
    • Localization into a large number of languages has been added. See the patch notes for more comprehensive list.
    • Game options have been added. Not too many available now. To be expanded in the future.
    • Gamepad control has been reimplemented.
    • Basic network play has been added.
    • Game pausing is now possible. A pause camera has been added.
    • Most movement options have been implemented. See patch notes for more information.
    • A large number of debug functions have been added. See the technical patch notes section for more information.

Known Issues
    • Automatic quality level detection is not implemented, and defaults to Ultra: our no-holds-barred balls-to-the-walls quality setting. If your computer is of an older build, please consider changing this to a lower setting before loading any of the stages.
    • The debug stage has two invisible "stage hazards" for the purposes of testing hitbox interaction. Please press F11 to toggle hitbox display to see them.
    • Gamepad controls are expected to work with a variety of controllers, but has only been tested with Xbox 360 controllers and Mayflash GameCube adapters. If you have issues using a gamepad controller. Please file a bug.
    • While hitboxes and the plethora of features related to them are implemented, attacks currently are purely visual, no hitboxes in response to an attack are spawned.
    • Youmu doesn't have some of her attacks and animations implemented. Many have placeholders or straight up don't have anything for them right now.
    • Menu UI as a whole is currently placeholder and does not work with gamepad input.
    • Smash attacks cannot be charged due to an animation bug.
    • Tapping down may occasionally cause players to jump.
    • Ledge guarding is not implemented yet.
    • Network animation and position synchronization is fairly primitive. May be very choppy, even for people geographically close to each other.
    « Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:46:57 AM by james7132 »

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
    « Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 12:39:38 AM »
    Also a sneak peak into the next update: