Author Topic: Urban Legend in Limbo English patch  (Read 68723 times)

Urban Legend in Limbo English patch
« on: December 10, 2015, 07:09:30 PM »
The English patch for Touhou 14.5 is finished! You can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/m5h33mx22252662/Touhou_14_5_English_Patch_v1_00.zip
(Edit: the last version is here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/v39ga9y7iob6jfj/Touhou_14_5_English_Patch_v1_41.zip)

A note about compatibility: it should work on the same computers than the japanese version. It should work with non-japanese locales as long as there isn't any special characters in the path. I think it should work with nvidia drivers while the original game doesn't, but I couldn't test. I absolutely don't know whether it works on Wine or not. And it works on Windows XP!

Thanks to everyone who helped with this project. Thanks to Riatre for its 135tk, which I upgraded and reused for this patch, and thanks to rr-, who made an unpacker for the ULiL archive (https://github.com/vn-tools/arc_unpacker) and cracked some anti-hack stuff. On the translation side, thanks to the Touhou wiki (en.touhouwiki.net), and thanks to Clarste for translating the texts that weren't on the wiki. Thanks to Gamer251 for the image editing. Thanks to the thcrap team for the beta test and some design suggestions.
And, finally, many thanks to Splashman, for some translations, for image editing, and for taking care of everything related to the archive files: searching for translatable content, replacing the texts in the various files, going through all the texts to ensure they're correctly displayed, making the releases etc. You really helped a lot on this.
Ah, and of course, thanks to ZUN and tasofro for making the game, and also for not releasing hundreds of updates (1.34b from HM was a nightmare...).

Also, during this patch, I documented the technical things I made, Splashman documented things regarding the file formats, and I explained things about some files formats I remember from HM. We decided to document all that, first because it has been useful for us to have an unique points containing a remainder for everything, and secondly because it could be useful for other people (for example, the documentation about the TFPK format is only for other people, my memories and my source code are enough for me). You can find all this documentation here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1jzCIkoNdTRNFYwQVlJaDdQZUk&usp=sharing
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 01:04:38 PM by brliron »

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
Re: Urban Legend in Limbo English patch
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 09:01:58 PM »
Yay my patience has finally won over! Thank you guys for the English patch I'll play it when I get back from the store question though is it compatible with the current patch of ULiL?
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 09:35:54 PM »
As with the HM English patch, this English patch bundles the updates, so it should work with any version of the game.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 09:48:26 PM »
Oh man nice. Time to get the word out on this patch as well. Time to work on that trailer :V

ZXNova

• Life is an explosion!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 11:08:46 PM »
This came outta no where

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 11:39:58 PM »
Glad to see the patch is finally complete, well done!

Minor bug report: in the Versus/Practice character select screen, when 2P is selecting a spellcard, the first spellcard's text is slightly cut off. 1P's spellcards are fine.
A similar issue is visible in the Story Mode character select; the text of the first spellcard is misaligned from the rest.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

ShadowNCS

• Prinny Overlord
  • Highly Responsive to Jinxes
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 12:09:47 AM »
Oh, nice! I think this is the first thing I gotta play once I'm done with exams!
... or during breaks from studying for exams. Depending if I can wait so long or not. xD

Thanks a lot for the translation patch!

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 02:46:57 PM »
Thank you all for english patch

Python

• Plains of Chi-u have no end.
  • They are boundless and last forever.
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 03:37:30 PM »
SWEET BANANAS! I'll definitely try this out later. Huge thanks from me to everyone who was involved.

Considering this means that stuff from ULiL can be ripped now, are you considering making the rips themselves (or at least the tool(s) you used for them) public?
Have a look at my truly scrumptious scripts!.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 04:06:38 PM »
I've already released an image rip someday. Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/download/tbsbl0i95lttn94/th145+images.zip
As for the tools for making this rip, or to rip other things, 2 of them exists. First, I made th145arc, which is based on th135arc from Riatre. It is, with its source code, in the google drive link I gave in my 1st post
Also, during this patch, I documented the technical things I made, Splashman documented things regarding the file formats, and I explained things about some files formats I remember from HM. We decided to document all that, first because it has been useful for us to have an unique points containing a remainder for everything, and secondly because it could be useful for other people (for example, the documentation about the TFPK format is only for other people, my memories and my source code are enough for me). You can find all this documentation here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1jzCIkoNdTRNFYwQVlJaDdQZUk&usp=sharing
And there is another tool, arc_unpacker, which can be found here: https://github.com/vn-tools/arc_unpacker . Both have some benefits and drawbacks. For a rip, I recommend you to use arc_unpacker (and I made my image rip with arc_unpacker).

Edit: Ow, this auto-coloring for google is quite surprising.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:08:22 PM by brliron »

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 05:02:19 PM »
Thanks for the translation!

If you have nVidia graphics and use this patch to run the game, renaming the original th145.exe to something else and renaming th145e.exe to th145.exe allows you to run the patch and English translation at the same time.

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 04:50:53 PM »
Hey guys, glad to hear that you all like the patch.
At last I worked on something that has a bit more broad appeal than my German translations on thpatch :P

If you find any errors, like compatibility issues or dialogue typos, etc, drop them here and we'll fix them in a later release.

As for translations: During patching, Touhou Wiki still hadn't finished with translating some of the VS scripts, so I had to chime in with my limited Japanese and do them myself. If somebody could take another look at them, that'd be great.

By the way, we've had some requests coming in for various features:
  • Switching the BGM in story mode to character themes
  • Include HM music
  • Changing Marisa's cowgirl accent and Futo's ye olde speeche to more standardized English (don't ask).

So we're going to work on this alternative patch next.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:13:28 PM by Splashman »

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 08:45:36 PM »
As like the previous english patch for HM, I made a trailer for this patch too so more people can know about it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4uTpMao14c

Gamer251

• DJ FlanFlan
  • Too lazy to type long sentences.
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 02:46:48 PM »
Congrats for the release~
I'm kinda honored at the mention, although I didn't do much :ohdear:
Are you still gonna do the font hacks?

"You ought to watch out, yourself. Even a high-school girl can make her own weapons these days, after all..."

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 04:09:14 PM »
As like the previous english patch for HM, I made a trailer for this patch too so more people can know about it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4uTpMao14c
Now isn't that great? Thanks! :D

Congrats for the release~
I'm kinda honored at the mention, although I didn't do much :ohdear:
Are you still gonna do the font hacks?

Your work on the Mystery Spot images is worth a mention itself, I couldn't have made those on my own.

What font hacks do you mean?

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 06:57:45 PM »
Can I reprint it in my local group website?

Gamer251

• DJ FlanFlan
  • Too lazy to type long sentences.
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 05:15:23 AM »
Your work on the Mystery Spot images is worth a mention itself, I couldn't have made those on my own.

What font hacks do you mean?

Still, it was still only a little part, unlike what you guys did

Substituting some of the font symbols to another symbol (e.g. > to「)
iirc this was done with HM

"You ought to watch out, yourself. Even a high-school girl can make her own weapons these days, after all..."

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 08:21:32 PM »
Can I reprint it in my local group website?
Sure, go ahead.

Substituting some of the font symbols to another symbol (e.g. > to「)
iirc this was done with HM
I thought the regular square brackets look well for now, but I guess we can replace those in a later update.

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 03:13:57 AM »
Finally, it's here.

tooru7608

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 05:47:01 PM »
Hello!

Firstly, I must thank to the people who have released the English patch for ULiL.

The thing is that it showed me an error saying that the file "d3dx9_43.dll" was missing, so I downloaded DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer and the error wasn't shown anymore. Now, when I run the application "th145e.exe", it doesn't appear anything, I mean, it doesn't actually run. What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

ShadowNCS

• Prinny Overlord
  • Highly Responsive to Jinxes
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 11:57:37 PM »
Now, when I run the application "th145e.exe", it doesn't appear anything, I mean, it doesn't actually run. What should I do?

Whenever a game doesn't appear after executing it, there's a high likelihood of your anti virus program identifying the game as a virus. You may want to check your anti virus software and see if that's suppressing the game or anything. The fastest (and dirtiest) way to check if your anti virus software is blocking the game is by disabling it for a few minutes (but don't forget to reactivate it after you're done checking!) If the game shows up, then you need to figure out how to white-list the game in the anti virus software.

I hope that helps!

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 12:28:22 AM »
Now, when I run the application "th145e.exe", it doesn't appear anything, I mean, it doesn't actually run. What should I do?
Or perhaps it is still stuck as a background task. Try checking task manager and force quit it, or just reboot your system.

tooru7608

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 01:51:52 PM »
The fastest (and dirtiest) way to check if your anti virus software is blocking the game is by disabling it for a few minutes (but don't forget to reactivate it after you're done checking!)

I tried to run the application after having disabled all the shields from my antivirus software, but it didn't solve the problem.

Try checking task manager and force quit it, or just reboot your system.

I checked the task manager and there wasn't the application running. I also rebooted the system, but nothing.

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 05:48:42 PM »
I personally want to thank everyone from Team Occult for creating such a magnificent English patch. It completely defied my expectations! I thought there where going to be some things that weren't going to be possible to patch such as the splash screen before the game title or Koishi's Miss Mary Occult finisher but you did it. This patch is everything I could have hoped for and nothing was left out. We here as the Touhou English community are very lucky to have such a talented and dedicated group of people to bring such projects to fruition.

I also want to double thank you for somehow making this patch work on Windows XP when the original game doesn't recognize Windows XP. I am probably one of the handfuls of people who haven't upgraded their OS yet and I was pretty bummed out to find that ULiL didn't work on XP when I got a hold of a copy. But when I installed the English patch... The patch made the game work! I am not sure if this was an intentional feature or simply a coincidental byproduct from the patching process but I just want to let you know that the patch allowed me to play the game on an OS that otherwise wouldn't have let me play on it straight. As a Windows XP user, thank you so much for having your patch make the game work on that OS. I know that you didn't have to do it, but none-the-less I am grateful for it.

Keep up the wonderful work Team Occult. You are all masters at your craft and we salute you! : )

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 10:07:20 PM »
I personally want to thank everyone from Team Occult for creating such a magnificent English patch. It completely defied my expectations! I thought there where going to be some things that weren't going to be possible to patch such as the splash screen before the game title or Koishi's Miss Mary Occult finisher but you did it. This patch is everything I could have hoped for and nothing was left out. We here as the Touhou English community are very lucky to have such a talented and dedicated group of people to bring such projects to fruition.

Why, thank you for the kind words. We were truly aiming for a quality patch, and it looks like all the hard work wasn't in vain :)
Koishi's spell card was fortunately just a very simple matter of replacing images, and the very first thing I edited... in Papyrus to boot! XD

I also want to double thank you for somehow making this patch work on Windows XP when the original game doesn't recognize Windows XP. I am probably one of the handfuls of people who haven't upgraded their OS yet and I was pretty bummed out to find that ULiL didn't work on XP when I got a hold of a copy. But when I installed the English patch... The patch made the game work! I am not sure if this was an intentional feature or simply a coincidental byproduct from the patching process but I just want to let you know that the patch allowed me to play the game on an OS that otherwise wouldn't have let me play on it straight. As a Windows XP user, thank you so much for having your patch make the game work on that OS. I know that you didn't have to do it, but none-the-less I am grateful for it.

That credit (and more) goes to brliron, for having the foresight of keeping XP users in mind.

Anyway, here's th15.5... or whatever nasty anti-hack stuff TasoFro can think of next.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:12:39 PM by Splashman »

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 03:15:22 PM »
Why, thank you for the kind words. We were truly aiming for a quality patch, and it looks like all the hard work wasn't in vain

Kind words are the least I can do for such a fantastic effort on a long and probably grueling project. You deserve every bit of praise that I and the English community have to offer.

Anyway, here's th15.5... or whatever nasty anti-hack stuff TasoFro can think of next.

I always wonder why game developers always insist on including anti-hack and encryption into there games. I mean, lets face it, hasn't TasFro noticed that all of their Touhou fighters in the past have been cracked and translation patches have been made. It's not just language patches either; there are also fan balance patches and even a Japanese voice patch for the characters in a previous game. So I wonder, what is the point if some computer whiz is simply going to run rings around their futile encryption.

Could it be that TasFro doesn't want the sauce code to be easily available in case someone takes it and makes their own game out of it and profit from it? Maybe the lead developer left a nudie pic of his girlfriend in their and forgot to take it out... I don't know, I'm reaching here.

Did team occult find anything past the encryption that they may want to keep close to their chest?

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 06:56:13 PM »
I think the idea is to prevent people from screwing around with the game files and do stuff that will bug up the multiplayer aspect. You know, things like hitbox hacks and the like.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 07:34:02 PM »
I think the idea is to prevent people from screwing around with the game files and do stuff that will bug up the multiplayer aspect. You know, things like hitbox hacks and the like.
This makes sense mostly because of the matchmaking system they have now (which would be great if it wasn't mostly filled with JP players which means lag-filled matches all the time for us)

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2016, 09:52:14 PM »

Multiplayer modding would be the most reasonable explanation to implement anti-hacking methods, because it's not cool if cheaters try to ruin your fun. And of course Tasofro has every right to secure themselves from 3rd parties tampering with their product.

It is always a futile attempt, however. No matter how secure you make your code, it can always and in the end and WILL be cracked eventually. Because code is information, and information is a fleeting thing that's impossible to trap.

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 12:42:53 AM »
Maybe the lead developer left a nudie pic of his girlfriend in their and forgot to take it out... I don't know, I'm reaching here.

Did team occult find anything past the encryption that they may want to keep close to their chest?
Nope, didn't find anything like that.

And yeah, protecting a program is impossible. Windows is able read the instructions inside the exe file, so a human can do it as well (well, the result isn't easy to read, but it is readable). And with these instructions, the game is able to extract its archive files and to load them in its memory. So, by reading these instructions, we can know how the game loads its archive files, and we can figure out the format of these archives.
BTW, I'm amazed to see how useless some protections are. For example, there's the famous problem with nvidia drivers. I suppose it's an abusive protection against DLL injection. But I tried a basic DLL injection with a custom DirectX DLL on a clean version of the game, and it worked.