Author Topic: ZUN and Touhou Status 2  (Read 117837 times)

Re: ZUN and Touhou Status 2: last update before Reitaisai 12
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2015, 11:50:25 PM »
Well, LoLK is already out for preorder in D-stage and Melonbooks, so I guess he managed to finish it but it was quite rushed.
Or maybe he's referring to a certain part of the development process? I don't really know what is the hardest part when making danmaku game.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:55:12 PM by monhan »

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #211 on: July 28, 2015, 03:07:02 AM »
I don't really know what is the hardest part when making danmaku game.

I'd say testing them? "Is this pattern readable and possible to survive?", something like that.
iirc ZUN said Impossible Spell Card was a pain because of all the testing.

hungrybookworm

• Shipper On Board
« Reply #212 on: July 31, 2015, 11:42:32 AM »
Well, LoLK is already out for preorder in D-stage and Melonbooks, so I guess he managed to finish it but it was quite rushed.
Or maybe he's referring to a certain part of the development process? I don't really know what is the hardest part when making danmaku game.
If it's up for preorder then that means he's confident it'll be released at C88. It doesn't mean he's actually finished it yet, though! There's quite a few people on my twitter feed this comiket who seem to be putting their thing on melonbooks etc, but haven't actually sent it off for printing yet... Godspeed.

Drake

« Reply #213 on: August 02, 2015, 06:12:22 AM »
ZUN: You would expect game developers on the verge of burning the master CD to be thinking things like "I want to stir things up" and "I want to entertain people", but really it's more like their mental vocabulary is reduced to nothing but calls of "onsen. games. beer."

ZUN: I want to soak in an onsen while drinking beer and playing video games

(reading between the lines, ZUN is getting close to finishing the master)

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2015, 08:09:46 AM »
ZUN: I want to soak in an onsen while drinking beer and playing video games

That sounds... godly.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #215 on: August 03, 2015, 08:34:02 AM »
Yeah! SummerKet, Touhou 15 release. Getting more and more excited.

Drake

« Reply #216 on: August 03, 2015, 09:05:56 AM »
And of course, as expected:

ZUN: What a disaster. I already only have one Taiyo Yuden CD-R left.

ZUN: I went outside for the first time in a while but it's so hot I struggle to live

ZUN: Master copy sent! Ai Kyan Furai!

ZUN: [beer]

The Taiyo Yuden comment is probably relevant to their recent announcement that they would stop producing writable media at the end of the year. For context, this company was one of the pioneers of CD-R and their reputation for quality has remained constant, so now it's like people are trying to save a dying breed of CD-R.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #217 on: August 13, 2015, 10:35:10 AM »
http://tohogairai.dengeki.com/

Seems we're getting something new from ZUN?

Drake

« Reply #218 on: August 13, 2015, 01:09:21 PM »
This says it will be an official Touhou magazine. This is coming from Dengeki Bunko, a branch of ASCII Media Works that's specialized in subject-specific newspapers (Dengeki Playstation, etc) and has serialized various manga. I know them particularly from the Viva Tales Of magazine.

Quick and dirty translation:
With the full cooperation and supervision of its creator, ZUN, we bring you the latest form of Touhou Project. We introduce to you a smorgasbord of interviews with creators involved with Touhou Project in various ways, along with beginner-friendly terminology and worldbuilding explanations. Additionally, we have exclusive new ZUN serializations, and a special bonus guest artist arrange CD inside, so don't you miss it!

excite gaining

Fun thing about the title; they use 韋編 (ihen) which is a leather binding for bamboo scrolls, while 異変 (ihen) is our well-known term "incident".
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:16:54 PM by Drake »

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: ZUN and Touhou Status 2
« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2015, 12:02:02 PM »
ZUN has just pointed us to the announcement of Branching Paths, a documentary about Japanese indie game developers. The movie will be released in January 2016.

Of course, he will appear in the documentary, as can be seen in the teaser.

According to their website, the origin of this documentary is fairly interesting. If you've been reading these threads from the beginning, you might remember a conference panel from 2013.

The long and short of it is, Nolife-TV, a French TV channel for geeks, conducted a survey on their forum about what French gamers think of Japanese video games, and their director Anne Ferrero gave a panel about these results at CEDEC 2013, Japan's largest game industry conference. Since Touhou ranked surprisingly high in the "favorite franchise" poll, the news got ZUN to tweet, "Is it about time to consider overseas development?"

After the conference, Kimura Yoshiro came to Ferrero, and asked her to shot a video series where Kimura interviewed Japanese indie devs. Ferrero later obtained funding from a Japanese production company to expand the interviews into a full-fledged documentary.

See, there's no contest. Kimura Yoshiro >> Ota Jun'ya  :D .
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Drake

« Reply #220 on: November 15, 2015, 01:56:18 AM »
ZUN: Gentle rain like today's is the ideal gaming weather. By all means, please come to Digi Game Expo in Akihabara for a showcase of indie and doujin games. Yours truly is also sloppily participating!

ZUN: Everything's all set up. Digi Game Expo, let's do well today!

ZUN: All the precious little games I've released until now! I'll be distributing them today, so please come visit me.

Today is Digital Game Expo, a doujin and indie game exhibition in Akihabara for circles and small companies alike to promote and sell their games, and connect with other developers. I was surprised at the first tweet because it made me think for a second that ZUN had prepared a mini game as he did last year, but alas. He did bring his LLS setup he's carried around to a few events so that's pretty interesting, particularly for the many japanese fans who haven't played the PC-98 games. I guess it's also ZUN's way of showing what he had done in his early years as example for new developers, juxtaposing it with his most recent game.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 02:04:54 AM by Drake »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #221 on: November 15, 2015, 12:37:04 PM »
He also brought back Gold Rush which was a bit of surprise but makes sense. Also, he was selling all of his previous Windows releases, and the product listing (seen in the last picture in the above post) had a decidedly restaurant theme to it with a bunch of amusing little descriptions for each game.

EoSD: "A Chinese-style danmaku shooter comprised of fairies and vampires prepared by a maid."
PCB:  "A danmaku shooter with soft snow and cherry blossom petals for a springtime feel."
IN: "A therapeutic danmaku shooter that will stir ancient memories when looking at the harvest moon."
PoFV: "A lively danmaku battle salad abundant with 16 distinct personalities."
StB: "Bunbunmaru Danmaku a la carte, a special entree from a tengu newspaper."
MoF: An amphibian danmaku shooter with snakes and frogs, prepared with premium ingredients and spirit."
SA: High-quality French ingredients?! Kiln-baked crow prepared Hell-style." (I don't get the first part)
UFO: "An enlightening UFO-style dish with no meat or fish, rich enough to send you flying through the air."
DS: "It's back! Dueling newspapers produced a sequel: Danmaku Paparazzi."
GFW: "The chef's capricious battle - ice cream once again."
TD:  "A revival of a recipe from the Asuka period: A danmaku shooter that even Prince Shotoku may have once eaten."
DDC: "A full course of simple dishes in small containers. The chopsticks and bowls are for riding."
ISC: "Bad is good, and Seija is a Kijin! If this is delicious, anything is possible."
LoLK: "Care for a rice dumpling dessert? The rabbits worked hard pounding it."

« Reply #222 on: November 21, 2015, 02:01:51 AM »
TD:  "A revival of a recipe from the Asuka period: A danmaku shooter that even Prince Shotoku may have once eaten."
This just makes me giggle for some reason