Author Topic: ZUN's Lecture on Kyoto University on Nov. 28, 2015  (Read 22034 times)

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
ZUN's Lecture on Kyoto University on Nov. 28, 2015
« on: November 15, 2015, 05:58:21 AM »
Incoming news that ZUN will do a lecture on Kyoto University under the title of 幻樂団の歴史 ~ Chart of a Strange Creator.  Fill more information as it comes along.

Twitter / Poster: https://twitter.com/kumanoryo/status/662097949845942272/photo/1

ZUN's tweet: https://twitter.com/korindo/status/664616836097421316

Home Page of the Event: https://peraichi.com/landing_pages/view/kouen

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
Re: ZUN's Lecture on Kyoto University on Nov. 28, 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 10:50:40 PM »
sounds like it'll be cool  :3
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

Drake

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 05:43:52 AM »
By ZUN's tweet and the description on the site, the general subject of the lecture will be about ZUN's personal life going forward from university days up until today; various things that have happened to him throughout this period, how his lifestyle has developed and how he's changed as a person between then and now. This is illustrated in the title: "History of Gengakudan" i.e. of Shanghai Alice Gengakudan, and "Chart" being the roadmap of his life, as a "Strange Creator" (authors of Touhou works all being "Strange Creators").

Bound to be an interesting talk, I cling to the hope that there will be a record.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:49:16 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 09:39:12 AM »
I'm sure someone will be there taking notes if nothing else.

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 06:13:10 AM »
Twitter feed on notes taken for Q&A currently happening.  https://twitter.com/sou8901016

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 08:33:41 AM »
Q&A with ZUN on Lecture as transcribed by @sou8901016 

質問「お酒に興味を持ち始めたのはいつ?また東方のアルコール純度は?」
神主「もちろん20歳だよ笑 純度はビールくらいだから5パーセントくらいかな」
Q: When did you start having interest in beer?  And what's the alcoholic percentage of Touhou?
A: Of course, when I was 20 (laugh)  It's like a light beer, so roughly 5%?

質問「なぜ男性キャラクターはあまりださないんですか?」
神主「男性キャラだしちゃうとシリアスになっちゃうし笑 あと弾幕って少女的で男性的じゃないしね」
Q: Why don't you release some male characters?
A: Releasing male characters will make things too serious (laugh) Danmaku is also pretty girlish thing, rather than boyish stuff.

質「二次創作物を条件つきで許可したきっかけは?」
神主「許可する前から皆始めてたね笑 条件をつけたのはよく聞かれる(求められる)からあらかじめ作ったね」
Q: What motivation drove you from allowing the derivative works with guidelines?
A: It started even before I allowed it (laugh) For guidelines, they were made based on the things I was often asked with.

質「紅魔郷頒布当時から変わっていない信念やスタンスは?」
神主「その時代時代にあわせること自体が当時から変わらない信念かな」
神主「コンテンツは自分のコントロール下、自由にできるくらいが自分としては幸せかな」
Q: In terms of your resolve or attitude, what has not changed since the release of EoSD?
A: I always want to make sure that the contents I create are relevant to that time and age.
A: Also, I'm happy as long as the content is at my disposal to do whatever I want freely.

質問「絵やプログラミングはどうやって学んだ?」
神主「それ聞いてもきっと同じやり方するんだろうなあ笑 独学ですよやっぱり」
Q: How did you learn drawing and programming?
A: Why am I keep hearing the exact same questions? (laugh) For sure, it's self-taught.

質問「ゲームと違って音楽CDの方は曲調がゆったりしてますが、作り方の違いとかは?」
神主「ゲームの音楽はゲームの音楽で、CD用のはCD用として分けて作ってる。ゲーム曲のままだとちょっとテンポ早すぎるからね笑」
神主「やっぱり音楽CDはおまけというか副産物みたいなものだよ」
Q: Unlike games, the CD music is relatively calm.  Any differences on how you make them?
A: Game music is for the game, and CD music is for CD.  The trend of the game music is that it has rather a quick tempo (laugh)
A: CD musics are like omake.  A by-product.

質問「東方のモチーフになっている日本伝記や神話の魅力は?」
神主「やっぱり皆が知ってることかな。マニアックな伝記とかを使うなら自分で作るし」
Q: What's the appeal of borrowed materials in Japanese mythology and legends for Touhou?
A: I'm sure everyone knows about it.  Like how taking some hardcore legends and making them as my own. 
(Words are ambiguous so need more clarification)

質「どうやって魅力的な元ネタ等と出会っているか 神社仏閣に取材するときどんなことを心がけているか?」
神主「京都とかそれ以外にも魅力的なところがあるから、そこを歩いて気になったものを掘り下げてる。取材って感じで行くよりはぶらぶら観光って感じ」
Q: How do you encounter such appealing materials, such as from Shinto shrines and buddist temples?
A: Many places, including Kyoto are filled with captivating places.  I often take a walk to quench what I always wondered about.  But rather than it being an investigation, it's more like a slow-paced tourism.

会社を辞めた経緯の話の中で 「仕事をとるか同人をとるかで行くと同人ですよ笑 (給料安かったし ボソッ)」
神主「同人はやっぱ金銭的というか精神的というか、自分に余裕がある時じゃないとキツイね 社会人か大学生か、やっぱり大学生の時にやるのが一番いいんじゃないかな」
Q: How did you end up quitting your company?
A: I was faced with the life's choice of giving up work or giving up doujin, I ended up giving up work.  (The wage was simply not enough)
A: Doujin is quite difficult unless you have some room for yourself, whether it is mental, or financial.  So a salaryman or university student, but I suppose the prime time is when you are in the university.

質「作品への感想や反響、人気投票とかの結果は見てた?」
神主「今はあまりだけど昔はよく見てたよ 人気投票とかコメント付きで投票してたもん」
司会「ちなみに誰に?」
神主「霊夢だね」
Q: Are you following with the character popularity polls or opinions on your work?
A: As of now, I don't do that much, but in the past, I've followed it quite often, and voted for some characters myself.
Q: Like who?
A: Like Reimu.

質問「ZUNさんお洒落ですが、服はどうしてるんですか ゲームクリエイターはおしゃれであるべきか」
神主「おしゃれって訳ではないけど特徴づけるようにというか、人に見られることは意識はしてるかな 帽子も家に何個かあるよ」
Q: What is the deal with your fashionable clothes?  Should game content creator be fashionable?
A: It's not much of a fashion, but perhaps unique?  I suppose I do keep in mind on how I would look to the other people.  And I do have a few more hats at home.

質問「スマホで東方のゲームとかは考えてますか?」
神主「可能性はあるよ サクッと移植とかできるならいいけど、一から勉強とかだと面倒クサイ笑」
Q: What do you think about Touhou in smartphone?
A: There is a possibility.  If porting were easy, I would have done it, but studying is already too much of a bother for me (laugh) 

質「東方以外のゲームは考えてますか?」
神主「僕が作ったらなんでも東方になっちゃう笑 それこそビール作っても居酒屋作っても東方になる」
Q: Any plans for making games other than Touhou?
A: Anything I make ends up being Touhou (laugh) Even if I were to make my own drinking bar of my own beer brew, it would have 'Touhou' on it.

質問「続編製作のモチベーションはどうやってあげている?」
神主「創作の辛い部分を知ってるからモチベーション下がることがあんまりないねー 楽しいことばかりと思うと創作は折れる」
Q: How will you keep your motivation of creating for the sequels?
A: I am familiar with the pain of creating contents.  There's nothing especially keeping my motivation down.  You can't create contents if you only think about having fun.

神主「僕としては自分の代わりと言うか後継いでくれる人みたいなのがいるなら正直引退したい笑」
A: To speak the truth, if there is someone out there who can take up my mantle, I would gladly retire (laugh)

質問「何かを作るのに才能はいりますか?」
神主「うーん、才能ってのがピンとこないけど、まあないよりあったほうがいいんじゃないかな。例えば絵が上手く描けるってのは才能ってより技術なんじゃないかな」
神主「自分には才能あるっていう人は大抵才能ないよね笑 言うなら裏付けが欲しいな」
Q: Do you require talent if you want to make something?
A: Well, I can't really pinpoint what 'talent' is, but it's probably better to have it than not having one.  For example, when drawing something, having various techniques would be considered 'talent'.
A: And those who say "I am talented!"  usually fail to uphold their claim.  (laugh)  Talking is cheap, show some evidence instead.

質問「10年前から東方はオワコンと言われつづけていますが?」
神主「オワコン?お前の中ではな笑」
Q: Touhou is dead.  It has been for 10 years.
A: For you. (Laugh)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 06:04:13 PM by Sedrife »

N-Forza

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 09:32:01 AM »
I'll try clarifying that one you asked about.

質問「東方のモチーフになっている日本伝記や神話の魅力は?」
神主「やっぱり皆が知ってることかな。マニアックな伝記とかを使うなら自分で作るし」
Q: What's the appeal of borrowing Japanese mythology and legends for Touhou?
A: It's because everyone's familiar with them.  If you're going to use something obscure, you might as well come up with your own ideas.

There was a another more recent tweet that said what ZUN would consider his biggest failure in Touhou, which was how his games had too strong of an impact on the doujin game world.

ZUN also signed a few copies of the magazine that people brought with them. Apparently Cirno signs her name in hiragana like a grade-schooler.

https://twitter.com/XiLuo_1020/status/670518769576341504
"If you can't decide how you want your booze served, you can't go wrong with 'on the rocks'! - Cirno"

https://twitter.com/gom_tao/status/670502468334174208
"Assuming that drinking parties are for communication is old-fashioned. - Sanae"
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:43:13 AM by N-Forza »

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 10:30:34 AM »
Thanks for clarifying, N-Forza.

ZUN's signed copies of magazines were total five: Reimu, Marisa, Cirno, Sanae and Youmu. 

Aside from the two N-Forza mentioned, this is for Reimu.  Still waiting for Marisa and Youmu reveal.

https://twitter.com/Reichon_Nuenue/status/670521952411348992

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 06:35:41 PM »
nice!  ;)
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 12:22:32 PM »
Oh, thank you for everything! It was very interesting.

質問「10年前から東方はオワコンと言われつづけていますが?」
神主「オワコン?お前の中ではな笑」
Q: Touhou is dead.  It has been for 10 years.
A: For you. (Laugh)

If i remember correctly, the term "owakon" used here by ZUN is a japanese term that means that something (doujin, TV show, or whatever) that once had a great success has been deflated, losing quality and/or interest.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 12:46:08 PM »
I don't understand how two sentences with ? in them get translated as two statements.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

N-Forza

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 01:37:21 PM »
It's a summarization, but it gets the point across well enough. The first one doesn't even directly translate into a question. ("They've been saying Touhou's been dead for 10 years?" although the intent is more like "Do you know they've been saying Touhou's been dead for 10 years?" or something) And his answer is literally "It's dead? In you(r mind)."

Welcome to Japanese.

Tengukami

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 01:59:17 PM »
Interesting! Thanks, I appreciate the clarification.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 03:33:56 PM »
Probably going to be a critic here, but I really wished people who interviewed ZUN came up with some more original or more deeper/better thought questions. 80% of them are general questions which we probably have seen in every interview. Remaining almost sounded more interest but not enough touch / twist to get a nice answer.

I guess due to time constraints or perhaps lack of preparation?

Though my thanks for the translation as ever for us gaijin fools.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 04:55:03 PM »
That complaint came up in the wake of the AWA 2013 Q&A session. The response was generally that not everyone takes the time to research every ZUN interview/commentary session and thus genuinely doesn't know the answer to the question they're asking. It's easy to get tired of such questions when one is in a position as fortunately informed as ours, but plenty of people don't have those same experiences, and it's a bit uncouth to hold that against them.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Tengukami

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 07:29:22 PM »
I think if you were a reporter, sitting down with ZUN to interview him one-on-one, then you absolutely should read up on his past interviews and exclude the more FAQs. But if you're just a student or con attendee, just excited to be in the same room with the guy, then we can't really have that kind of expectation, as much as we'd like it to be the case for the sake of our own curiosity.

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 08:01:09 PM »
FYI, here's a recording of the full lecture.

Gonna listen to it if I have time and pick up if there has been anything else that's interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7uDezJeflM&feature=youtu.be

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 12:19:44 PM »
@ Kilga, true true. I think Ammy worded it correctly that we cannot expect everybody to read into it or research. Of course there will be always the standard questions. Someone who is attending a con, obviously didn't go research ZUN's last interviews. So asking several general questions will never hurt and is actually highly encouraged.

I was mentioning more like the following up questions when going more in-depth. But to be honest, I wouldn't be able to proper come up with questions either. It takes lots of research/reading. Including the interviews he held in Japan.

I would say the fun-factor has to remain present, regardless of the content.

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 07:30:46 PM »
Perhaps building a thread on the topic with "Questions I would like to ask to ZUN" would help to prepare for the future events to ask the right questions. 

A process where if questions has already been answered on some interviews or Q&A sessions before, answer them by the forum members with proper references.  If question cannot be answered through any reliable source, store it on the first post, and hopefully it would be asked in the future event and be answered.

Given that the question is intelligent enough, and ZUN doesn't dodge the bullet by being ambiguous. 

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 03:57:21 AM »
A: ... And I do have a few more hats at home.

This made me chuckle.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 08:41:23 AM »
Perhaps building a thread on the topic with "Questions I would like to ask to ZUN" would help to prepare for the future events to ask the right questions. 
That would be taking it bit too serious, as if people are forced to commit to professional journalism.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 10:21:42 PM »

A process where if questions has already been answered on some interviews or Q&A sessions before, answer them by the forum members with proper references.  If question cannot be answered through any reliable source, store it on the first post, and hopefully it would be asked in the future event and be answered.

Given that the question is intelligent enough, and ZUN doesn't dodge the bullet by being ambiguous.

I think i've already seen a thread like that, maybe a year ago?

Phantasmal

• I'm good at breaking the forum rules on accident..
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 05:35:29 AM »
Q: Do you require talent if you want to make something?
A: Well, I can't really pinpoint what 'talent' is, but it's probably better to have it than not having one.  For example, when drawing something, having various techniques would be considered 'talent'.
A: And those who say "I am talented!"  usually fail to uphold their claim.  (laugh)  Talking is cheap, show some evidence instead.