Author Topic: International Doujin Circle: Four Corners - Creators Wanted!  (Read 8464 times)

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
International Doujin Circle: Four Corners - Creators Wanted!
« on: November 03, 2015, 01:52:21 AM »
As some of you may be aware, I have recently started a circle called "Four Corners" in an effort to make more high-quality foreign fan/original works available to the Japanese doujin audience. Here's an example of what my circle has produced so far:

http://ec.akbh.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=2100000050208
How the Girls Get Along with Each Other, by MotK's very own Pasu (Singapore)
A cute little series of 4-panel comics, in English AND Japanese!

http://ec.akbh.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=2100000050192
Yuyuko & Youmu clear plastic file folder, by Jamuko (USA)

https://twitter.com/NForza26/status/654297302836752384
Reimu & Yukari clear plastic file folder, by Kiriu Kanako (Indonesia)

I have more on the way, but at the moment I'm looking for someone to create something for Winter Comiket at the end of December! A bit of a tight schedule, perhaps, but if you had something in mind, be it a comic, CD, or merch of some kind, let me know! I'd like something along the style of the above, though retaining your own personal touches (if that makes any sense), so link me some samples and I'll let you know if I'd like to request/commission something (if not Comiket then a future event). Compensation will be provided, naturally. And let me know if you have any questions!

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
Re: International Doujin Circle: Four Corners - Creators Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 06:54:47 AM »
I do have a question, how long do you plan on keeping this gateway open? It looks fun but I'm very very incompetent and also unreliable currently in many ways. If possible, it would be nice to be able to contribute in the far future (~a year or so) when I may be sucking less to be able to contribute to a community whose works I've admired and been fond of throughout the entire time since I joined this site.

But otherwise, MotK represent! Gj to you and pasu too.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

N-Forza

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 01:46:56 AM »
Well, it depends on how long I can find interested parties to contribute, as well as a number of other factors, but I intend to keep it up for as long as I can.

As for actual skill level, you don't necessarily have to be "good." If you can do simple yet cute (like Walfas), that would work out fine. In fact, I'd sort of like someone to who is able to do that kind of thing (since I'd like to produce a clear file folder with all of the characters like the previous circle I was a part of did).

GhoulMage

• Be careful, be... a Xeno.
    • GhoulMage blog
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 05:35:27 PM »
Music CD's you mean :3? (I'm not native, so I don't understand everything).

hungrybookworm

• Shipper On Board
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 06:32:13 PM »
*dumps 20,000 word fanfic*

Here we go, should be a snip to translate, and you'll barely notice the printing costs, kuhuhuhu!

N-Forza

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 02:27:03 AM »
Yes, I mean music CDs. Drama CDs might be kind of hard, although games could be possible.

On that note, one thing I forgot to mention is that I do know a couple people who can translate English to Japanese (like Masuo, the guy who did Pasu's comic), so even if you don't know Japanese, we can still produce your work. And if you're having a hard time coming up with ideas, I'd be more than happy to write a script given a few specifications. I want to release more bilingual comics, one way or another.

However, as far as more novel-like fanfics go, that's a bit iffier. It's not that I think they're a waste of time or unprofitable or even that much more expensive to print, but they seem to move slower than comics, and I only have so much storage space...

hungrybookworm

• Shipper On Board
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 09:33:05 PM »
However, as far as more novel-like fanfics go, that's a bit iffier. It's not that I think they're a waste of time or unprofitable or even that much more expensive to print, but they seem to move slower than comics, and I only have so much storage space...
It's true, half my doujin novel friends have a wall dedicated to piling up their leftover stock, and cheerfully comment "Wow it's shaking pretty dangerously! I might get crushed! lol" whenever there's an earthquake...

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 11:09:30 PM »
I'm interested as well but I'm sort of in the same boat as Mea. I currently have a bunch of life problems so I don't think it'll be possible for me to sit down and come up with a comic and have it ready by your deadline.

..Although I was planning on using my upcoming school break to start coming up with simple Touhou merch ideas; maybe I can help in that area?
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 11:57:41 PM »
I won't have time to make my comic for winter comiket (the storyboard isn't even finished), but I could probably help if you want to print up something with an illustration on. Folders, buttons, whatever.
Otherwise, I will probably be at Reitaisai next year as usual (if I'm accepted).

N-Forza

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 02:33:35 AM »
Aoshi: If your break is before Comiket, that'd be most helpful, since the next opportunity might not be until well into next year. The file folders, buttons, or maybe even keychain accessories might not be a bad idea if you manage that.

Ragathol: Yeah, that's fine. Normally I let the artist choose what they want to draw, but for some reason I think if you did something artistic with the Komeiji Sisters, that'd be cool.

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 06:11:55 AM »
Cool! I should be done with school around the 20th (of November). Is that all right?
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

N-Forza

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 11:45:28 AM »
Yeah, I think that should be workable, since the deadline for printing file folders is only about a week before Dec. 30th (and I doubt anything else would take much longer). We can work out details via PM when you're ready.

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 12:55:08 PM »
A file folder would be around A4 + 1 cm or so, right? If I draw the Komeijis... Would you like it in my style (grumpy, tired Satori), or cute? :P
Also, how would the sales revenues be divided?

N-Forza

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 02:54:29 PM »
Yes, it'll be A4 size (there's a template and everything).

The designs of most folders usually skew pretty cute and moe, yeah. I'm tempted to ask for one in your style just to be stand out but I dunno, lol. (For what it's worth, Moomin is crazy popular over here, as you might know...
Spoiler:
Mymble-ized Touhous???? jk
) If you don't want to do cute, like I said, something artsy/cool might work. If you want to brainstorm some ideas and send them to me, I can offer feedback. (also, you can do something interesting things with transparency effects).

I generally pay the commission fee in full upfront upon completion, although I'm open to other arrangements (buying stuff, exchanging your work with other artists, etc.). I just don't like to do a straight cut of the profits since that means I actually have to keep track of how many I sell, heh.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:01:49 PM by N-Forza »

N-Forza

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 04:36:31 AM »
Bumping to announce that I'm currently looking for artists who want to release a comic at Reitaisai/Comiket! I'll even see about writing the story if desired.

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 01:00:10 PM »
What would be the deadlines/time ranges to comfortably submit something completed to you for those two events?

Say I want to make a comic, what resolution and page format would it have to be in?

What's the typical process of printing and making physical copies like?

Finally, does this circle tend to focus on only Touhou related works? (obviously Reitaisai is Touhou only)

N-Forza

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 02:40:42 PM »
Generally the deadline is about 2 weeks before the event, although there are printing discounts for early submission of manuscripts.

Resolution varies by printer, but it's either 300 or 600 dpi. Need to double-check on that. Page size is either B5 or A4, although the latter is mostly for artbooks while B5 is for comics.

What do you mean by process exactly? I guess you just put the pages in the template, submit it via upload or visiting their office, and paying the printing fee.

I do mostly Touhou but I've got a friend who made an original book that I'm trying to sell at Comitia. The focus is Touhou but I don't mind doing anything that I am also interested in that I think might have an audience.

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 03:14:23 PM »
I'm asking about the printing because I'm curious about how or where small scale independent circles make copies of their work. You said "their office" and "printing fee" so that means they go to a dedicated printing service to get everything needed. I was just missing that bit of context.

Aside from that I'm interested in making something Touhou related. I'll message within a week as I flesh it out.

N-Forza

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 03:09:49 AM »
It's possible to just staple together booklets from regular print machines, but yeah if you wanted anything in color, including the cover, it's easier to go to a print company.

And cool, just send it over when you have a chance.

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 08:04:53 PM »

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 06:21:02 PM »
Hi, I've been developing a Touhou Fangame called 東方異變魎 ~ Ephemeral Unnatural Balance for a few years now, and am planning a release by this September. You mentioned earlier in the thread that games are a possibility. It's been my desire to release the game as a true Doujin product complete with physical CDs, so I'd like to contribute to your circle to that end.

However, the lack of proper Doujin venues in the West has made me worry if a physical release would ever be practical. TouhouCon is the closest (Western Touhou) equivalent to something like Reitaisai or Comiket (outside of miscellaneous anime conventions) but it's become increasingly likely that TouhouCon is not going to happen this year. I was also tentatively planning to get help to translate the game into Japanese and prepare a digital release for Japanese audiences, but releasing it this way would be much better.

You can take a look at the game demo's trailer here with a link to the demo itself here.
NOTE: The demo contains many copyrighted official Touhou assets merely as placeholders. No copyrighted material will be present in the final version.

N-Forza

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 02:14:59 AM »
Infinnacage: I didn't mean to ignore your post (even if you weren't serious) but I keep forgetting to check the link when I'm in a place I can listen to it closely, heh.

Porygon: I can actually arrange getting physical CDs printed over here with little problem, as well as a translation (possibly). If you're certain it will be ready by September, I could likely release it at Koromu, Fall Reitaisai, or Comiket.

Tsuken Yasashi

• Student of War
  • Ready to start fightin' for real?
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 11:23:04 PM »
Huh... Interesting... I do have a doujin novel I'm writing, though it probably won't be ready for about a year and a half at most, given that I'm 2/3 done and have to final edit it and all.

I am in need of a publishing company that is valid for printing out Touhou doujins, specifically if novels would be fine, and a circle to join in to distribute it out.  Been looking at DoujinPress for publishing, but I'm unsure how circles work.  It is, after all, my first time jumping into selling a work of mine.

Between Two Dimensions - Arc One Complete

"War is a grave affair of state; it is a place of life and death, a road to survival and extinction.  A matter to be pondered carefully..."  -Sun Tzu's Art of War

N-Forza

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 12:51:57 PM »
Bumping this to announce I'm looking for an artist to make or draw a comic or some other sort of book for this upcoming Winter Comiket! I'm flexible so PM me if you're interested or have a friend who might be!