Author Topic: SC-88Pro: ZUN's MIDIs the way they were intended to be heard (100% COMPLETE)  (Read 227544 times)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: SC-88Pro: ZUN's MIDIs the way they were intended to be heard.
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2017, 04:49:56 PM »
*snip!*
Congratulations on your new module! :toot:

I took a listen at your recordings compared to mine, and indeed I can't really tell much of a difference, nor is there much audible noise at all. Maybe my complaints were founded on how "muddy" the module sometimes feels, but I think that has more to do with the samples and onboard EQ settings, and not so much the impedence of the audio outputs. But for most listeners the levels present in either of our recordings shouldn't be much of a problem.

Thanks for the recording cross-comparison!
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2017, 09:00:19 AM »
*snip*
Well said!  I agree wholeheartedly.  It does sound a bit "muddy" for some of the high-volume, many-instruments-mixed moments, but from experience with other compositions being cleaner, I believe that's just naturally caused with these and similar files; any recordings of them on a true SC-8850 would probably sound this way.  And yes, an impedance mismatch would, as I understand it, just cause the high frequencies to be inaccurate, not the moments of slight "muddiness" we're talking about.

Thanks for your thoughts, and again for your quality recordings!

« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2017, 09:04:31 PM »
Just letting everyone know that I'm still alive and that downloads for the rest of the tracks will be posted eventually.

DeityDiz93

• Arahitogami of Contribution
  • Geez, Touhou and real life are set to hard mode...
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2017, 11:36:49 PM »
Thank you muchly for the update. ^^

Out of curiosity, how is your channel housing SC-88Pro uploads doing on YouTube? Do any need a boost in views still?
I'm a decade-old Touhou Project fan. I heavily advocate for what's obscure and less popular in this series such as the PC-98 era, not-often-heard ZUN music, and the much of unpopular/unused characters.

« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2017, 11:18:19 PM »
I'm getting about 700~ daily views which isn't too bad I guess (I was getting 1000-2000 views back when I was actively uploading).

Any help is still welcome. I suppose it helps show YouTube that people care about these videos even though I've not uploaded in a while.

« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »
Your work on this has been the best thing I've come across in Touhou music for a long while. I truly appreciate and enjoy what you're doing, and I look forward to your future work! I'll keep the YouTube views/listens coming.

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2017, 11:25:42 PM »
Why is it that some of SatoR'lyeh's extensions of the Seihou 1 OST sound like your proper recordings and others don't?

Thief.
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »
SatoR'lyeh never asked for permission to post these on his channel, and he's actively hurting the discoverability of this project by neither linking to my thread/channel or simply crediting me for the recordings. It's really disappointing to see people doing this. Please don't give this thief views.

What he claims to be the Seihou Shuusou Gyoku OST is actually the arrangements ZUN posted on his site. Some of these sound very different from the originals.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2017, 06:16:03 PM »
Romantique, just a question, and it may be a dumb one...but have you ever asked for this guy to take down the ones in question?  Or better yet make use of YouTube's flagging system?
I think you would have tried this already, I just wanted to make sure.
YouTube is full of people who try to take and reupload videos, so unfortunately I can't say this is the first time I've seen this.  It makes me sad to see this because your project had so much time put into it, I'd hate to see it go to waste because of another channel stealing views.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:02:50 PM by WishMakers »
Return of Eastern Wonderland! Made by a PC-98 fan FOR fans!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, HSiFS, WBaWC
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b), Barrage Musical Hard (PB: 28.?b)

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2017, 02:06:53 AM »
Hm. I was thinking of extending the original versions myself, but the response you gave me made that sound like a bad idea... so, since I like song extensions, maybe you yourself ould extend them?

DeityDiz93

« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2017, 06:18:25 AM »
I personally don't care much for extensions myself since I'd rather listen to a song's starts and stops on loop since extensions often leave out the opening and closing bits that make up the song (and sometimes the charm); plus, it's not hard to make an extension with Audacity which I would be doing for my owned songs if I cared enough.

Ultimately, that's not my call to make since it is mainly up to Romantique to decide, but all I hope people know is that uploading a double of every song already uploaded right now with a longer time is asking a lot, and especially since deciding on a time, managing the song loops, extra upload time, and getting those videos views like the rest already up is still a lot to ask for.

I would not give those kinds of videos my view personally since my main method of getting the videos uploaded now parts of their views is by using the playlist and letting the songs play in the background, and that's less practical with extended uploads depending on the amount extended, so I'm at least glad there is still progress going towards the Touhou SC-88 uploads now.

I think for now what I care most about is those additional downloads, but that's just me; I don't know if anyone here feels the same way. =/
I'm a decade-old Touhou Project fan. I heavily advocate for what's obscure and less popular in this series such as the PC-98 era, not-often-heard ZUN music, and the much of unpopular/unused characters.

« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2017, 11:46:10 PM »
Are there full FLAC files of 妖々夢 and 永夜抄 ?
I want tracks that aren't in trial version.

Drake

« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2017, 07:21:57 AM »
Please read the thread.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:31:38 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

(!) SC-88Pro: ZUN's MIDIs the way they were intended to be heard.
« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2017, 03:14:25 AM »
Sorry for taking so long, I got distracted by a million other things and didn't realize that so much time had passed.
Here's everything that was previously missing from the big .zip downloads. This includes the second half of the TH07 and TH08 music and EP's recordings of the 3 MIDIs made by ZUN for the SC-8850.

FLAC update: Google Drive | Mega

AAC update: Google Drive | Mega

I've also updated the full .zips in the first post with the missing files.

Yesterday I got confirmation that the MIDI music in the C60 trial version of Kioh Gyoku is the same as the final version. Since there's nothing left to record, this project is now 100% complete.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:48:43 AM by Romantique Tp »

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2017, 01:25:10 PM »
Thank you so much for all that you've done on this project!  I'm sure a lot of other people thank you too.  You've put so much effort and work into it, I'm glad it's not going to waste at all.  Hearing the MIDIs of SoEW and EoSD especially have been a pleasure to hear and reinvented those tracks in ways I would have never thought possible.  Good luck with your future work!
1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (N, H), PCB (N), IN (N, H), PoFV (N, 5 char), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (E, N, L), WBaWC (N)

DeityDiz93

« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2017, 06:23:28 PM »
This has really come a long way, and I'm beyond overjoyed to hear this project has reached 100% completion now. I've just finished listening to the new tracks, too, and ending off on the final song really brought me chills knowing I've now listened to each of these tracks in the highest of quality we could hope to ask for. While this is definitely not the last time I'll chat about this project, these are my thought overall now that this has finished:

Since this project kicked off, I've been sharing this project as much as I can with as many people as possible, and while it's not as big yet on YouTube, which I hope it will in time, almost 30,000 reads makes me very happy this forum post has gotten out there. Your efforts here have honestly have been the highlight of the entire forum to me as a Touhou (but specifically a ZUN) music enthusiast, so your hard work getting this to people I will appreciate for as long as I listen to Touhou music, really, thank you a billion times over so very much!!

I cannot thank you enough, truly, doing this has only made me more thankful to be a Touhou Project fan, and the wait was well worth it, so no need to apologize at all since, after all, you only got confirmation about the trial yesterday in your time. ^^

I hope to share this forum post and various other posts about this with as many people who are interested in ZUN's music now more than ever, especially now that you've reached the end. Originally, I didn't think that much when ZUN talked about the SC-88Pro in his music comments, but now I see what he meant by
But then again, if you don't listen to it with an 88 Pro, it's pointless. (;_;
more than ever; it is well worth the listen with the SC-88Pro sounds, so that's easily why I'm beyond thankful to you, Romantique_Tp, for taking a crazy amount of time and energy getting this out there without any errors or mistakes; I will never stop being thankful for savvy nature regarding the SC-88Pro itself and even just audio in general. What you have brought the Touhou community is phenomenal, and every track you've spent time with; even down the edit you put on the arranged Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly ~ Ancients to cut down on the high-pitched noise in the original track, is well appreciated and fantastic!

It's funny to me how I originally thought I had heard all of what ZUN had to offer, but it's clear that this project can show a whole new side of ZUN's music to everyone, and I'm sure ZUN has plenty of unreleased music we might never hear stored away or even deleted, but I've mostly been fine with what music has come out despite this possibility. ^^;

If I had anything else to say in parting thoughts about this project overall, it's that I feel kind of silly for getting so hopeful for the C60 trial version of Kioh Gyoku music because on one hand it would have been cool if there was something unique to them, but I'm alright with the fact that we no longer have to worry about that when it might have not have surfaced. At this point, the only things I wonder about is if the Japanese audience will be able to get access to hear these at some point with the same kind of information about this music as you've shared (I also wonder about the idea of these appearing on something like Niconico at some point), but, in light of getting stuff out there, I hope to see the rest of ZUN comments on some of these music pieces on the Wiki that are still untranslated to get translated, but I'm hopeful they will get translated in time.

This all said, I will continue to support you and continue to share this work with all who are unfamiliar with it, but just know that I will never forget the time you spent on this. Thanks again for everything you've brought us, and I give to you my best regards; besides, it's the least I can do and say for receiving such a stellar selection of music. ^^
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 08:30:42 AM by DeityDiz93 »

Seihou Kioh Gyoku C60 trial version
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2017, 09:26:09 PM »
Thanks guys.

Here's what I know about the C60 trial version of Kioh Gyoku (稀翁玉).
All of this info comes from @ronronmilk96, who knows a lot about ZUN/Ponchi (pbg)-era Amusement Makers and owns an impressive collection.
My japanese isn't perfect, but I'll try to translate some of the info posted by him. (See the post below for images)

-Nearly all of the character art is different, including the character portraits, battle cut-ins, title screen and ending.
-The ending shows a picture of VIVIT holding a small cactus while wearing a sleeveless shirt. (Cacti are an important energy source in the Seihou world)
-3 stages, but no character win quotes and only one background set in a grassland.
-Differences in VIVIT's sprite.
-No music comments by ZUN.
-The music is in WAV, but they're just SC-88Pro recordings of the MIDI files included with the final version.
This confirms that the WAV music in the final version are arrangements, while the MIDIs played on the 88Pro are indeed the original versions.

-The music from the C60 trial version: (YouTube Playlist)

-It seems that at this point Kioh Gyoku was considered the third game in the Seihou series. Shuusou Gyoku (秋霜玉) and the unreleased PC-98 STG prototype (Neo Gian) shown at 1998 Hatoyama Matsuri are considered separate games. ZUN composed Fly Above Hatoyama at Night (夜の鳩山を飛ぶ) for that prototype, since it originally had no music.
The Windows prototype of Shuusou Gyoku was also referred to as Neo Gian. It included "Plastic Space", "Frontal Attack" and "Inventive City".
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:09:14 PM by Romantique Tp »

Kioh Gyoku C60 images
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2017, 04:43:50 PM »
Here's a few images, again thanks to @ronronmilk96.
The C60 trial version of Kioh Gyoku is super rare. As far as we know, these images are being posted to the internet for the first time ever today.

-Title screen

-The playable characters, VIVIT, Gates, Mei and Mai (Click to expand)

-The ending picture

Drake

vivit please that is not how you hold a cactus

DeityDiz93

I see Frontal Attack remains the ever elusive musical track it is. I hope the track surfaces at least one of these days, but thank goodness we have something else that has been elusive surface, the C60 trial version images are really neat, so thank you so much for sharing them! Kind of a pivotal piece of Seihou's history for sure. ^^

I wonder what the ending text says exactly, or if the artwork could be ripped from the game's files to show the most minor differences between the trial and final game exactly without the interface/text boxes obstructing it, but eh, passing thought really that I myself am not too concerned about since I'm very thankful to ronronmilk for their help in not only sharing the vital information on the C60 trial version, but bringing these images our way as a neat referecne, it's awesome to be one of the first few people to see something never before seen like this. Truly, this makes me wonder how long until people make fan art of Vivit's exclusive ending picture here, but sadly Seihou fan art is as scarce as it comes, so probably not for a while unless someone really cares about being the first to draw it. ^^;

Just a little heads up to everyone, I talked to Mangekyou (one of the people who had recorded the Seihou 1 soundtrack with the Windows MIDI synthesizer), and while they refused to take their videos down, they did agree to temporarily make their videos private to give my recordings a chance to have their YouTube search rankings improved.
Taking a look back, I see that Mangekyou has unprivated his Seihou music uploads, but as I said before, it's to a fault with the Windows 7 default Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. As someone who has heard Seihou 1's MIDI soundtrack with the GS Wavetable Synth on Windows XP, it's frankly unbearable to listen to his videos because it's missing bloody instruments everywhere, bleh.

What I will ask is this: Have you asked Mangekyou, besides at one point getting him to take down/private his videos, encouraged him to link the SC-88Pro videos you uploaded, as well as the thread? It's probably ideal to do on his part as apposed to others freaking uploading music from this thread without crediting, 'tis a jerk move to be sure. I think the efforts of this thread should never go unnoticed, which is why I am aiming to promote this project as much as I can, so could you ask him about this since his videos are back up?

Believe it or not, back in the day had plans to do exactly what this thread attempted to do and bring this MIDI music to the rest of the Touhou community myself, only one thing, I was using the GS Synth to do it since I had no idea about the SC-88Pro. I did start my plan though, which was cut short when my laptop with Windows XP died, stopping any hopes I had of doing this myself, and this was somewhere back in 2012 or so; however, I had at least recorded a few tracks, but was never completed before my laptop gave out, and the reality is I was using Stereo Mix and recording with Audacity in .mp3 at not the best quality settings, so kinda wasted effort in a way even if I know better now.

There are others who have done what I did; however, the user Clockorkzone has uploaded a lot of the arranged Seihou 1 arranged versions on his channel as well as a few of the in-game tracks using default Windows MIDI synthesizer from XP, so there's that; however, he's never finished uploading all of them so it's incomplete as well (the channel seems completely inactive too). I'd honestly would have preferred back in the day to see a full series of uploads like I tried to set out and do, so that's why I'm very thankful for this thread.

Personal opinion wise? I don't think the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth version sounds too bad at all, but you could argue that it wouldn't be that different to use something like SoMiRe or even VirtualMIDISynth to listen to the music, but honestly the matter with alternate soundfonts can be such a can of worms that it's not really something I'd think worth sharing on YouTube because then you'd have probably hundreds of different versions of the MIDI songs in that case, I'm only showcasing the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth here because I find it unlikely that people who bought Seihou 1 back in the day would have their own personal SC-88Pro when they listened to the music, t'was probably with the the default GS Wavetable Synth, if that makes any sense.

I suppose the point of me posting this is to ask this: Is it an issue at this point for those who uploaded/will upload the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth versions to YouTube> Even if it's on the grounds that it's what you hear by default? Ultimately I'm not going to go out of my way to get another Windows XP and do what I originally set out to do, so I wouldn't really expect me to do this since I favor this project, but you never know if someone else might get the same original idea as I and didn't know about this thread in advance.

If you ask me, it's not completely unwelcome as long as it's not the more limited version of the default GS Wavetable like in Mangekyou's Seihou music uploads where it's missing instruments everywhere, but also, I'm a firm believer that the ideal situation for these uploaders to link the SC-88Pro version in the description given it is "the way they were intended to be heard."

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
For those that cares about bit-depth, like I do, I uploaded all of 24-bit FLAC onto MEGA.
Click here to download

24-bit creates a more natural sound wave; it's especially important when transfering vinyl, analogue formats and in music production (fidelity of sound).

SiIvagunner uploaded one of your SC-88 rips on their channel, just a heads up. Their upload sounds higher quality than your upload for some reason, but I can't put my finger on it.

Spoiler:
lol, well done. Is there a story behind this rip?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:51:26 AM by shockdude »
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • printf("h*ck");
SiIvagunner uploaded one of your SC-88 rips on their channel, just a heads up. Their upload sounds higher quality than your upload for some reason, but I can't put my finger on it.

They did a (MIDI version) before but I believe it had the Windows default MIDI instruments so this might be important?  Knowing a few of the members on the team (including Sylvysprit), odds are one of them has a SC-88 or SC-88Pro themselves, so I don't think it's an issue.
It is a fairly good video however, if you like that sort of video.  Personally I do.

Drake

Obligatory mention if you watch that the video go open the actual recording in the recommended videos so Youtube gets more people to see it

Thank you so much for completing this project!!!!

I found one problem...
I downloaded completed version of FLAC from the top site, but it didn't have added tracks from th08.
It contained all other files, such as th07.
Please check if it is updated.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 04:15:42 PM by Suwako Moriya »

I guess I forgot to reply to a few posts here.

I downloaded the FLAC pack to check and everything is in there.
You may be thinking of the th09 folder, which does indeed have no new files. This is because ZUN never made MIDI versions of the tracks exclusive to the final game.

Thanks! 
I need some help, i'm creating my game and the music aswell using fl studio.
I want to buy a sd-90 but where do i start? i can't find information on internet about how to set it up on my pc with fl studio and start using it.
All i have is an audio interface scarlett solo and my akai mpk mini. That's all.
I'dont pretend to create music 100%  zun's style, just take some cool instruments and mix them in fl studio with others vst
Thanks!

All you have to do is install the drivers and it will show up in your DAW as a MIDI output. Windows 10 doesn't have official Edirol SD-90 drivers, so you'll have to use Windows 7 or 8 to guarantee that it will work at full performance.
You'll have to use the SD-90 as your primary audio interface, because your Scarlett Solo doesn't have the required audio inputs to record a synthesizer. The SD-90 will have worse latency and worse guitar/mic recording quality than the Scarlett.

Buying an old hardware module is a big investment with minimal return. For about the same price, you could buy Steinberg's Absolute 3 or NI Komplete 11, or a DAW that comes with good stock sounds like Cubase Pro. All of these will have sounds used by hundreds of well known video game musicians and will be both faster and easier to use than a module. Both Cubase and Absolute 3 come with sounds from recent professional Yamaha keyboards.

It makes very little sense for a newbie to get a hardware module. It makes even less sense if you're only interested in a few sounds. I strongly recommend buying something that's guaranteed to be useful in the future instead. All of the sound packages I mentioned above are constantly being updated with new sounds and can easily be resold for a decent amount of money if you ever need it.

pbg has posted the first video ever of the 1999 Seihou Shuusou Gyoku prototype.

You can hear Frontal Attack for the first time, which was previously a lost track by ZUN.
https://twitter.com/pbghogehoge/status/976805892556447744

YouTube upload for anyone without a Nicovideo account:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIPsX5kBVLc

DeityDiz93

Dreams can come true.

I didn't think I'd live to see the day where something like this came to be, I had worries that there would no longer be a prototype build of the game. Glad to be proven oh so wrong, I just hope there is more to come beyond this, and that this fabled build of the game isn't left exclusively locked away forever. The gameplay while largely unrefined was still very cool to witness as Seihou 1 is a game with very interesting history, and it nice to know pbg was, even if eventually, willing to share a part of that with us.

While I really did love the Frontal Attack piece so much so that I was physically affected, alas as you said in the description, it's not too clear, and even beyond that we aren't hearing the full thing. I don't know if pbg has any plans to release more regarding this, but I'm incredibly thankful we finally got the confirmation that it's a real, wholesomely unique track. Very cool to know that there are unique variants to Plastic Space and Inventive City also not heard before, so with any hope, I hope that if the music were to be released, we'd get each and every track.

While the inner subconscious desire in me is reaching for the MIDI files and longing for another Seihou game, I am seriously very thankful to pbg for doing this already. I hope that we get to hear more from them as I'd love to hear what they have to say. Thank you also for the port from Niconico to YouTube. If there is any more important details that come to light, I'd love to hear them as well if there is anything more important to know.