Author Topic: [Music] Failure Industries, Music Division (bigyihsuan's bad arrange thread)  (Read 3392 times)

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
My bad arrange thread

All links lead to MuseScore.com, where you can download the original MuseScore file, PDF, MIDI, MP3, and MusicXML, if anyone uses that.

WARNING: The default soundfont is bad. Don't judge it, it's just plain bad.

The Mysterious Shrine Maiden Flying Though Space for clarinet ensemble
I originally made this for band camp. It was too hard to sightread for my group.

Undertale piano arrange
I did this for fun. My friend is requesting me to do a clarinet ensemble version, though.

A World of Nightmares Never Seen Before Piano Arrange

Midnight Spell Card piano arrange
Made months ago and didn't bother to upload until now, and it's really bad.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:38:21 AM by Failure McFailFace »
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
New arrange! This time it's a piano arrangement of "A World of Nightmares Never Seen Before."

link
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
I don't understand why you chose to use different chords for that left hand starting from mm.38 with the bouncing pattern. You had the correct chords immediately before at mm.30, and yet for some unfathomable reason you decided to use different ones, ones that sound less good. All you had to do was use the third and fifth of the chords that you had already written down before and oscillate between those. Same thing at the end. Was this intentional? Intention is very important.
And I'll nitpick about some other things too. Well first off I was caught off guard and let slip an unexpected laugh or two at the sudden fff at the beginning. Do we really need a fff? The last thing I want to hear is a Gatling gun of repeated eighth notes at fortississimo dynamics. And for some reason you were content with keeping the melody at just a 'plain' ff. There's absolutely nothing interesting happening in the bass, so let's make that softer, maybe p or mp, and let the melody ring out at say mf or so. Always make the melody clear and on top of everything else. It takes human nuance to make those repeated eight notes in the bass interesting, otherwise we have a Gatling gun. If the only thing you have access to is musescore, then I would suggest either changing it to make it less like projectiles or mark in the nuances with dynamics markings (and make them invisible if that's an available feature).
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
I don't understand why you chose to use different chords for that left hand starting from mm.38 with the bouncing pattern. You had the correct chords immediately before at mm.30, and yet for some unfathomable reason you decided to use different ones, ones that sound less good. All you had to do was use the third and fifth of the chords that you had already written down before and oscillate between those. Same thing at the end. Was this intentional? Intention is very important.
Intentional. I transcribed the music first onto HookPad/TheoryTab then used that as a basis. Here's where I dumped all of my transcription on to.
You can see under Chorus, for some reason, when I asked someone to take a look and see if it was passable or not, he decided to invert the chords even though the second half is almost exactly the same. When I listened through the piece, it sounded alright so I kept it.

And I'll nitpick about some other things too. Well first off I was caught off guard and let slip an unexpected laugh or two at the sudden fff at the beginning. Do we really need a fff? The last thing I want to hear is a Gatling gun of repeated eighth notes at fortississimo dynamics. And for some reason you were content with keeping the melody at just a 'plain' ff. There's absolutely nothing interesting happening in the bass, so let's make that softer, maybe p or mp, and let the melody ring out at say mf or so. Always make the melody clear and on top of everything else. It takes human nuance to make those repeated eight notes in the bass interesting, otherwise we have a Gatling gun. If the only thing you have access to is musescore, then I would suggest either changing it to make it less like projectiles or mark in the nuances with dynamics markings (and make them invisible if that's an available feature).
The fff there is because, for some reason, MuseScore decides that it's a good idea to play twice as soft than on the web browser, so I had to turn it up to fff and ff so that I can actually hear stuff.

Either way, I'll modify it a bit to make it more reasonable.

EDIT: New version updated.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 09:10:37 PM by Failure McFailFace »

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
Intentional. I transcribed the music first onto HookPad/TheoryTab then used that as a basis. Here's where I dumped all of my transcription on to.
You can see under Chorus, for some reason, when I asked someone to take a look and see if it was passable or not, he decided to invert the chords even though the second half is almost exactly the same. When I listened through the piece, it sounded alright so I kept it.
The fff there is because, for some reason, MuseScore decides that it's a good idea to play twice as soft than on the web browser, so I had to turn it up to fff and ff so that I can actually hear stuff.

Either way, I'll modify it a bit to make it more reasonable.

EDIT: New version updated.
The problem wasn't that you used an inversion of the chord, the problem was that you used the inversion of a different chord. So the first part is fixed now, but you still kept the problem in mm 70-77. To make my point clearer, mm 70 and mm 66 right above it should have the same harmony. The one in mm 66 is a D major in root position, the one in mm 70 is a B minor in second inversion. See? Different harmonies. What you want to use is a D major chord, which would require not F# B D but F# A D. Same with the rest of them. Except for mm 74 where you actually do have the harmonies correct, those are D and E majors chords, both in first inversion. And then you go back to a D major chord in mm 75, this one in second inversion, when what you may want is the tonic f# minor chord. Unless what you're doing is prolonging a resolution to the tonic f#, if that is what you're doing, with intention, then it doesn't not work. But it's followed by a random G# minor 7th chord (or G# half diminished which at the very least shares a common tone) so that altogether (mm74-77), it's:
DM -> EM -> DM -> G#m7 -> DM -> E#dim -> F#m
VI    -> VII  -> VI    -> iim7    -> VI    ->  ♮viio     ->  i
the last three are fine, even if the bass line is a little unconvincing (F#->E#->C# ??). Though it's somewhat passable since it does lead into the next D chord smoothly (C# F# A -> D F# A) at least and isn't the final section of the song and thus doesn't have to sound convincing.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
Midnight Spell Card Piano Arrange

I made this months ago, way before I made this thread. It gets really wonky near the transition to the E key signature, but then again this was months ago before I got better at transcribing music.

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
Current idea: Arranging "Awakening Wolf's Instinct" by Senpi.

link to my notes of the chords and stuff