Author Topic: [GAME RELEASED] 東方落流星 ~ The Shattered Sky (lit. "Eastern Falling Meteor")  (Read 21855 times)

東方落流星 ~ The Shattered Sky
Fanmade Touhou Project Game heavily inspired by Ido's Fangames

<<GAME RELEASED>> Updated Post:

After 2 years, we are finally done with this game. TSS was an adventure, and I have to say, I am happy that its done and over.
When I started with this project, I had no idea how to code and how to do stuff. I learned it with this project how to program and I also learned that you should never do that.
I am now much more advanced in DNH, but when I started, I was a noob and some of the bugs came with me. So. See this as our first project from a noob team, and expect our second, much more polished game, in around a year or so.

You can download the final Version on BULLETFORGE:
http://www.bulletforge.org/u/eredom/p/the-shattered-sky

I am looking forward to reading your feedback =3

~ Eredom

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 04:39:17 PM by Eredom »

Alright! Another new project to look forward to! I will wait warmly for the trial then and post my thoughts/issues~ Music sounds good, too! I wanna learn how to compose Zun-Style stuff, but I never have the time X3 And well, programs and stuff XD

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
It seems that we're lately more and more being blessed with full fan games. Great stuff, curious people playing this and posting videos. Maybe Jaimers will take a shot at the lunatic mode when released.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
Oh wow. I didn't realize that the game was already this far in development! Keep up the good work!

As a note, if you are getting ready for the demo release, you may want to consider looking for new testers for fresh feedback, and you may want specific testers to address any log window, optimization, and framerate issues on a variety of computer types, so that you can make sure that everything works smoothly for your demo and for the rest of the project development cycle.

I have quite a big testing team atm. The game seems to run fine on most computers, only dropping FPS on some Curvy-Laser-Parts on higher difficulties. I will add an Option to disable visual effects and Backgrounds as some Bosses (Especially the - not in the demo included - Stage 4 boss) have some rather cpu killing effects. The tests are currently running every day and I am working 4-5 hours every day to solve any problems popping up.

It still won't run on low-end computers even though I already did a lot of optimizations.
On my mediocre Laptop (4x2.5GHZ) it runs on constant 60 fps, I have some reports though that it would drop to 40 on some computers during some curvy laser parts.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:39:36 AM by Eredom »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
only dropping FPS on some Curvy-Laser-Parts on higher difficulties.
It still won't run on low-end computers even though I already did a lot of optimizations.
On my mediocre Laptop (4x2.5GHZ) it runs on constant 60 fps, I have some reports though that it would drop to 40 on some computers during some curvy laser parts.
Curvy Lasers are known to be quite heavy on the CPU yes. On low-end PC's it is quite difficult in general regardless of optimizations. Needs i3 at minimum. Even though we can somewhat assume people have i5 these days, it still remains an issue.

Though to be fair, in general developers have to set a minimum somewhere. Can't please everybody. That is how it goes in RL with commercial games too.

SuppatenkoMaster

• the Master of all Suppatenkos
and I use this project as preparation for studying game programming.
oh, BRO! Same story here!) Just, I felt that I studied game programming fully long before even half of my game has been ready :V

Well, anyway, good luck with completing it. For now, I'll be guessing what MPP characters you will use. Possibly, "electric girl"? Or "mathematician teacher"? Or "Yuyuko#2"?

Maybe Jaimers will take a shot at the lunatic mode when released.
so, "Jaimers making a lunatic 1cc" is the finest possible stage of development of any touhou danmaku fangame? ::)
 are there any other guys like Jaimers on MotK forums, may be Naut, or anyone else?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Haven't seen Naut around for ages. Otherwise plenty of good players around. But not all of them play fan-made games I think.

For now, I'll be guessing what MPP characters you will use. Possibly, "electric girl"? Or "mathematician teacher"? Or "Yuyuko#2"?

One of them is right :P

Stage 3 will be dedicated to Ido games so in that stage the Mid and Final Boss will be characters from Ido games. Stage 1 and Phantasm will have characters from the original Touhou game and Stage 2,4,5,6,Extra and Heaven (new extra Stage above lunatic difficulty level) will have fanmade characters.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 08:50:41 AM by Eredom »

TalosMistake

• Master of Aura and Shade
  • I'm Talos, not Talo~~
Look interesting.
I will definitely give it a try once the demo is released.

The official website was launced.

The website provides a lot of information about gameplay, the system, difficulty modes and includes a bigger gallery with more screenshots than shown here.
The download link will also be provided/uploaded there.

Click here to reach the shiny new website: http://www.touhoushatteredsky.net/

The Trial is here, the download link has been released!

After 6 Months of developing, the game is finally in a state that I am releasing a trial. We're already working on stage 5, but the latest System Update took some time :P
Since the development has started, the System has been majorly reworked 2 times and the graphics have been (completely) reworked 1 time.

Still lacks in Animations though, but we're only 3 people and this is a non-Profit Work.
I hope you still have fun playing through the trial and I will highly appreciate any kind of Feedback.

Download the game here: http://www.touhoushatteredsky.net/downloads
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:25:26 AM by Eredom »

I will add an Option to disable visual effects and Backgrounds as some Bosses (Especially the - not in the demo included - Stage 4 boss) have some rather cpu killing effects.

Good to hear, as some parts (especially bosses) run kinda slow on my shitty laptop. Congrats to the whole team again on doing such a good job so far, and I'll be uploading the fanart in a few minutes xD

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
Got 124 170 million trying for score, and that wasn't even perfect.

Some issues:

• Title theme is missing from music room
  • Lots of Calibri
  • Using default typefaces for spellcard names and titles in the music room
  • Reisen's name in her intro is in Chinese?
  • "Leafes" should be "Leaves"
  • No graze sounds
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 07:55:02 PM by Fluffy8x »
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Trickysticks

• What am I? TRICKYSTEAKS I AM!
  • A stick of the tricky variety.
I did a blind run of Hard mode. Pretty good work so far!

I think you should try to branch out to other pattern types. A lot of the danmaku used during boss fights is fairly slow yet dense micrododging, so why not try some faster patterns or other types of dodging?
Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
I think you should try to branch out to other pattern types. A lot of the danmaku used during boss fights is fairly slow yet dense micrododging, so why not try some faster patterns or other types of dodging?

Nope.

The last thing we need is more reflextrash.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
The speed of the bullets are generally too slow. They make the patterns seem very uninteresting and in many cases too easy, especially on harder difficulties. You should also use ObjLaser_SetInvalidLength() on the curvy lasers, getting killed before the visual graphic touches you is not fun.

I will also mention that sun flower enemies tend to shoot too much, and that creates for more walling and unnecessary streaming patterns than there should be. Reimu's hitbox is also too big or maybe the shots are, that doesn't really help when you take the previous statement into consideration.

The real highlights so far are the stages, the bosses I feel could be done abit better, namely the stage 2 boss. Overall, just work on your balancing.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
The last thing we need is a bunch of sleeping players.

Just fixed that for you. You're welcome.

Personally I would make the speed of danmaku cap at 5 or 6. In terms of making a pattern fun to play, have bullets at those speeds sprinkled in with bullets at a speed range of like 2 to 4 something.

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
The game is great, and the vortex system is okay. The only problem I have with the game is that the 'vortexes' are hard to see IMO. Also, what does the vortex system do? Other than that, the game's awesome and I can't wait for the full version!  :)
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

Thank you all a lot for your feedback. I am currently not at home and can't react too much, but I am Reading everything and I will

(1) rework some bullet patterns especially for sayuri

(2) make the Overall bullet Speed a but faster and try to improve the Balance a bit

(3) Change fonts. I already had a custom font for some UI Elements but for some reason it doesn't work. So I Decided to use the default until it works.

-------
If you don't understand the Resource System, there is a manual on the official Website, can't link to it because mobile but it's under The Game > Gameplay.
It explans what the Items are doing, how the Vortex works and how to score.

Since stage 3 is very peaceful, I didn't felt like fast danmaku would be good. The bullet Speed greatly increase with the stage 4 boss and Stays quite fast until the end of the game. Stage 4 itself will be a bit slower again since it has to fit into the Style of the stage and music. But the peaceful slow danmaku ends with the end of stage 4 (without boss)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 03:58:00 AM by Eredom »

SuppatenkoMaster

• the Master of all Suppatenkos
 I've just played it 1 time, Needle Reimu, normal difficulty. Tomorrow I will play it too, liked it.

1) Stage 1
1.1 Density (total amount) of bullets in preboss part of the stage looks low. Mostly, I'm talking about lots of free space on screen. Suggest increasing.
1.2 Reisen's spellcards look a lot like her non-spells. Suggest more "special mechanics" (like in that spellcard, last or prelast? where bullets "classically" disappear in certain area), and some bullet recolour/sprite replace (red circles, for example, if it fits the idea).

2) Stage 2
2.1 Density (total amount) of bullets in preboss part of the stage is OK.
2.2 Were 100% of bullets green-coloured? Good idea, but I suggest recolouring 15-20% of bullets into dark blue or black, it will fit the Bamboo forest background.
2.3 May I call the boss "Hedhehog girl"?  :V

3) Stage 3
3.1 Kodamo girls, YAY!!!
3.2 Density (total amount) of bullets in preboss part of the stage is way too high.
 Judging by gradation from stage 1 to 3, what will be on stage 6? Suggest considerable reduce.
3.3 Butterfly faires with purple-white large circles that spawn elliptic ballets should be nerfed. They are too difficult for this difficulty and this character, and make way too much walling (at the very beginning of the stage I was blocked to the death). I suggest 1.5sec-pause between each 4-6 bullets or smth like that.
3.4 Last spell of Boss - I was killed twice by the yellow sun before actually understanding what had killed me. :V The sun looked like the part of spellcard background :]

4) Total:
4.1 Liked the music, liked the 3D background
4.2 Liked the difficulty of bosses. Balanced just like specially for me.
4.3 Liked the spells, mostly.
4.4 Bullet density's gradation per stage should changed (more at stage 1, less increase with each stage).
4.5 Looking forward to the next update.

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
4.4 Bullet density's gradation per stage should changed (more at stage 1, less increase with each stage).

Do most people here dislike a reasonably perfectable (to normal modos) stage 1? I'm seeing the trend of challenging first stages quite often.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

Thank you for your positive Feedback :)

1.1 Density (total amount) of bullets in preboss part of the stage looks low. Mostly, I'm talking about lots of free space on screen. Suggest increasing.
I actually like the density. It's stage 1, usually stage 1 is quite nice and easy ^.^ Don't worry, some of my testers said that the game would get pretty brutal in stage 4/5 so be happy to have those easy parts ^.^ (Lunatic harder than UFO)

1.2 Reisen's spellcards look a lot like her non-spells. Suggest more "special mechanics" (like in that spellcard, last or prelast? where bullets "classically" disappear in certain area), and some bullet recolour/sprite replace (red circles, for example, if it fits the idea).
I think for a stage 1 boss thats not too bad. Look at Seirans last card for example ^.^

2.2 Were 100% of bullets green-coloured? Good idea, but I suggest recolouring 15-20% of bullets into dark blue or black, it will fit the Bamboo forest background.
2.3 May I call the boss "Hedhehog girl"?  :V
I will change some of the bullets, that's a good idea ^.^ And you can if you want to, even though the boss boss is inspired by the japanese Legend of the Furaribi: http://yokai.com/furaribi/

3.2 Density (total amount) of bullets in preboss part of the stage is way too high.
It's actually fine if you know HOW to do the parts. Problem is apparently it's not intuitive enough. Most of the thing is just streaming (Bubble Fairys) or searching for the blind spot(Butterfly Fairys).

3.3 Butterfly faires with purple-white large circles that spawn elliptic ballets should be nerfed. They are too difficult for this difficulty and this character, and make way too much walling (at the very beginning of the stage I was blocked to the death). I suggest 1.5sec-pause between each 4-6 bullets or smth like that.
See comment above. You can stream them up (Not to the side) without any problems.

3.4 Last spell of Boss - I was killed twice by the yellow sun before actually understanding what had killed me. :V The sun looked like the part of spellcard background :]
I will add a better indicator that the sun is actually a bullet

4) Total:
4.1 Liked the music, liked the 3D background
4.2 Liked the difficulty of bosses. Balanced just like specially for me.
4.3 Liked the spells, mostly.
4.5 Looking forward to the next update.

Thanks for your feedback.

Current State of the Changes from the current Trial:
- Sayuris First and 3rd spellcards will get changed. Second Spellcard only minor changes.
- Reisens Second Spellcard will get changed on normal and easy. Since the card is pretty perfect on hard and lunatic imo I will not change that. Maybe it's nothing special but I just love the pattern.
- Yaezakis 3rd card will be completely replaced

A quick Update on the Game Progress:

- Stage 5 has been completed - the boss is a nice gimmicky boss ;) , Work on Stage 6 has started
- Marisa and Sanae Shottypes are nearly finished
- Testing team has been increased AGAIN to get more bugs found and fixed. Bugfix: Search and Destroy

- I will update the game very soon to include the two new shottypes and give you the updated Stages since I have changed them after your feedback.

Thank you very much for your interest in the project. :)

Maple

• Mukyuu!
Hey guess what.

Wanwan, yes that one, the one who did the OSTs of RSS, MPP, and others, has tweeted the video with The Shattered Sky's Stage 3 Boss theme.

Source.

Congratulations.

Wanwan, yes that one, the one who did the OSTs of RSS, MPP, and others, has tweeted the video with The Shattered Sky's Stage 3 Boss theme.

Thanks for informing us, didn't see that. Directly informed Abner about this. That's really cool!

**PUSHED** Because of the new Trial release!!

Hey look, it's this game again! I was honestly wondering if it was dead, even though the website said it wasn't...
I'll post a more detailed review after playing this demo some more, but right now, I've got two questions:
-I see some characters got new portraits with a different style. Will all the other characters get these in the final release?
-Is there an explanation of the new mechanics anywhere? The website isn't up to date, and it seems to be the only place that has information on them in the first place.

Hey look, it's this game again! I was honestly wondering if it was dead, even though the website said it wasn't...
I'll post a more detailed review after playing this demo some more, but right now, I've got two questions:
-I see some characters got new portraits with a different style. Will all the other characters get these in the final release?
-Is there an explanation of the new mechanics anywhere? The website isn't up to date, and it seems to be the only place that has information on them in the first place.

I promised I wont let this project die ;) at times the development was slowed down, but it never died. I just underestimated the amount of work needed to create such a big game (its already bigger than every game zun has ever created, even bigger than th08). So instead of giving a release day, I am just saying ?its done when its done? now. I dont want to rush myself to get it out and then create a game I am not satisfied with.

The char pictures: its still the old artist, but she evolved too over time :) sayuri is the only char currently planned to get a new portrait, not saying that other characters definately wont though. Its just a question of using the resources correctly and I rather want her to work on a new characters picture, for example the heaven stage Midboss is still missing, than on reworking old art.

The System: yeeeaaa I forgot to update the website and I dont have time to update it now (i am on mobile). So basically
- staying in vortex long enough will give you an SA-Style autocollect (gauge on the bottom left)
- vortexes now give the resources immediately when reaching 100%
- different difficulties fill up the vortex in different speed now (faster on lunatic since you cant spend that much time in Vortexes anymore)

Soo... I hope you enjoy the new version :)
~Eredom

I promised a more detailed review, so here's my large collection of complaints, suggestions and (mostly) nitpicks.

About the menus:
-Once you select a difficulty option or a character when starting the main game, there's no way to go back. It's a slight annoyance.
-You actually can backpedal out of the Ura mode character selection, but doing so seems to freeze the menu entirely. It's a serious annoyance.
-Ura mode really needs some way to be accessed in stage practice.

About the shottypes:
-Master Spark should probably have some transparency, as the current version obscures a large part of the screen and makes it impossible to see important elements like vortexes.
-MarisaA's star shots should be a little easier to see; the current appearance makes it hard to figure out what the shottype does.
-MarisaB's bomb seems to occasionally have glitchy rendering on some of the projectiles, but I have no idea what causes it. It seems to happen during boss fights.

About the stages: (Do note that I mostly played hard mode and gave Ura a try to see what it was like)
Stage 2:
-Sayuri's curvy lasers feel difficult to react to, especially during the second nonspell.
-Her final spell on Ura mode lasts way too long for what it is. I'd suggest halving its duration.

Stage 3:
-The first red vortex that appears in the stage is almost a death trap because of the streaming and laser fairies that show up after it spawns.
-Now that you have sprites for each separate type of Kodama, I'd suggest the following changes:
 -The midboss Kodama should be the pink (stage 1) type, since the danmaku fits that type better.
 -The Kodama that fires curvy lasers in An's second spell should be the yellow (stage 3) type, for the same reason.

And lastly... the one thing in this game I'm not a big fan of is the spell names, especially some of the Ura variations. Would you take offense if I gave rewriting them a try?