Author Topic: 東方魔宝城 (Touhou Mahoujou) ~ Book of Star Mythology  (Read 73962 times)

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
Re: 東方魔宝城 (Touhou Mahoujou) ~ Book of Star Mythology
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2016, 06:53:52 AM »
Great. You can also submit your scores here.

I honestly thought you'd die on the second half of the stage. Well, you died three times on the boss, I guess.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2016, 06:56:22 AM »
I honestly thought you'd die on the second half of the stage. Well, you died three times on the boss, I guess.

In return for not having to bomb my way out of the second portion of the stage, I had to have a sub-par fight against Ichiyou. Funny how that works out sometimes...but the magnitude drops were definitely felt. Had I even just bombed my way through the entire fight, my score might have been a fair bit higher. I'll have to experiment further with it.

Gray21oh

• An excuse for a title
  • This is suppose to be nonsensical except it isn't
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2016, 02:19:04 AM »
Six misses and Om got 6.59b. MarisaB really does do well for score.

Edit: This player captures Shelia's midboss card in the strangest way. WAIT TILL YOU SEE HOW HE DOES IT.

I've been trying to get Om back onto this site but he seems to refuse to some... Quality issues he has and things here 5 years ago.
Weird how some people tick huh?
I've also conversed with him over Skype and he says it's possible to get 7bil at the end of stage 4.

Gray21oh

• An excuse for a title
  • This is suppose to be nonsensical except it isn't
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2016, 04:52:02 PM »
I guess since Om can't get an account here at the moment he's shared his score via tweet. Somehow I also think I was the one pestering him about getting it out there aside from mentions here an there.

Glaceon Mage

• Dragon Quest fangirl
  • Hahaha...
    • Glac's FFN profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2016, 02:24:08 AM »
Um, if it's all right, could I get an explanation of the Magnitude system?  I haven't quite gotten it.

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2016, 06:51:31 AM »
You get stars for shotgunning and killing enemies (like in TD). Gathering stars fills that constellation on the HUD. Every time the constellation fills up, the magnitude decreases by 1 and your score multiplier increases by, like, 0.4 or something, until you have a 1. Once you have a magnitude of 1, filling the constellation will increase your score multiplier by 0.05. Dying increases your number/empties the constellation meter.

It's basically the same as the rank system in MS (without making patterns more difficult) or the flower system in Len'en 2. But with a reward for shotgunning.

As something separate entirely, there's a smaller number below the constellation, to the left of the big shiny number. Whenever you collect stars, that number decreases. If you get that number to 0 by the end of the boss, you unlock the boss's last word.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:03:14 AM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2016, 07:05:14 AM »
Um, if it's all right, could I get an explanation of the Magnitude system?  I haven't quite gotten it.

I usually delve deep into things like this, but for whatever reason, didn't look hard enough into this one. I'll share what I've gathered from it.

Magnitude is a score multiplier with 6 levels to it. Each level of it seems to have its own set multiplier. This seems to be the same across all difficulties.

6 = x1.00
5 = x1.60
4 = x2:20
3 = x2.80
2 = x3.40
1 = x4.00 (Every subsequent magnitude raise adds 0.05 to the multiplier. 4.05, 4.10, 4.15...etc.)

Magnitude increases (or goes down, depends on how you look at it. Score goes up as magnitude goes down...pick your poison.) by one level either by getting enough wish items to fill up the constellation gauge near the Magnitude counter, (don't know how many you need...seems to be ~ 300 or so) or by capturing spellcards. If you lose a life, it drops a level. So in order to guarantee high scores, it is imperative to stay alive to stack the bonuses once you hit 4.00. Reason being, if your multiplier is at 5.35 and you get hit, that drops the magnitude to level 2, and sets your multiplier down by nearly 1/3 and you've lost all the bonuses your spellcard captures and wish items gave you. I imagine for score runners, that's a failed run.

If anyone knows more about it, feel free to let me know what I missed.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:10:31 AM by FleetingGaze »

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2016, 07:33:58 AM »
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell. This player is clearly a god lol. I wish I could do something as gutsy as that and not die in the process.
Hi hi :)
This strat is 100% consistent with Marisa B. Just get a couple of taps under the dark circle but still be inside the red circle. Tap left, down, right, up in quick succession once the note bullet to the left of you splits apart. Should work every time if you tap the right amount of distance.

Has anyone heard of any other 7bil+ records yet?  I'm not sure if I should keep working on getting a higher score or not, but at this point my main roadblock in that idea is Ichiyou and I'm not looking forward to grinding her battle.

Glaceon Mage

• Dragon Quest fangirl
  • Hahaha...
    • Glac's FFN profile
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2016, 01:37:29 PM »
So is it automatically increasing PIV, basically?  Alongside the PIV counter based on graze and wish items below it?

(I guess you could say I'm asking which aspect(s) of the score is it multiplying by the factor I see)

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2016, 02:22:56 PM »
So is it automatically increasing PIV, basically?  Alongside the PIV counter based on graze and wish items below it?

(I guess you could say I'm asking which aspect(s) of the score is it multiplying by the factor I see)

Looks like the magnitude multiplies everything. From spellcard bonuses to shooting down enemies. By stage 4, the spellcard capture bonuses seem to be in the 100 million mark, so it adds up pretty quick. Each wish item increases the PIV by 20, too. Also, it seems that you lose PIV when you die, like MoF. I'd have to do more research to find out how much you lose.

Glaceon Mage

• Dragon Quest fangirl
  • Hahaha...
    • Glac's FFN profile
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2016, 02:42:54 PM »
Looks like the magnitude multiplies everything. From spellcard bonuses to shooting down enemies. By stage 4, the spellcard capture bonuses seem to be in the 100 million mark, so it adds up pretty quick. Each wish item increases the PIV by 20, too. Also, it seems that you lose PIV when you die, like MoF. I'd have to do more research to find out how much you lose.
Hm, I see, thank you for this information.

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »
I think you lose 10% of your PiV each time you die. Which really makes this a game where late game deaths are major major score killers.

Also nearly timing out the first LW on Lunatic gives like a 14k PiV boost which is a beautiful thing.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 03:35:44 PM by ZoomyTsugumi »

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2016, 06:36:31 AM »
I've decided to try MarisaB. Om, got any useful replays? like stage practice, or spellcard practice for the tough things? (e.g Midboss Shelia spellcard would be nice)

Enjoying the extra power on some of the earlier spellcards. For instance, turns out I'm more consistent just point-blanking Shelia's first spell than doing it normally with ReimuA. .-.
Also found out Ichiyou's last normal spell gives a fair amount of graze with Marisa. Thank god it's easy - my capture of it in spell practice (which I think got it to ~24 seconds left), got about 7-8k from graze alone. Another run I did got 1730 graze and got me to 37000 PIV at the end of it, including the cancel + wish item drops. In a real run you'd pretty much want to time it out. So heh.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:48:38 AM by Nolegs the Cat »

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2016, 06:56:35 AM »
Edit: This player captures Shelia's midboss card in the strangest way. WAIT TILL YOU SEE HOW HE DOES IT.
This is still the best I have to offer (7bil run), seems to be mostly optimal strats on Bosses, stage 2 could use some work and maybe even a bit of work on stage 3 too. Stage 4 is a mess tho but mostly @Ichiyou. It's really unpolished but I'm not very polished myself.
Mid Shelia strat here is 100% consistent and you really just need to look at it to get it, but I can attach a replay of the specific card too hang on. #11 is the consistent strat, seems to work with Marisa B and Sanae A only, as the others are not strong enough to kill the card before you get hit. #12 is a risky and much less consistent strat (probably with perfect movement each time it'd be consistent but that's suprisingly hard to do) but has a slightly better score gain so I figured I'd include it, it also looks slightly more impressive ;)

Shelia in general is point-blankable the entire fight except for her second card and her LW with Marisa B. Sanae A should be able to point blank too I think.

Also side note: Sanae A seems to be stronger at shotgunning than Marisa B, if Shelia's midcard is anything to go by. However Marisa B is still probably superior score wise due to better 1st stage mid/ boss patterns and also a more manoeuvrable shottype for dealing with enemies from different angles (her side shots are great for easy shotgunning while staying out of harms way especially in stages like stage 4.

Nolegs the Cat

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2016, 07:50:36 AM »
How is that "100%" consistent?
It's still very percise. -sigh- Oh well.

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2016, 08:26:17 AM »
it's not thaaat precise, keep the taps relatively quick and it should work 100% of the time, there is enough leeway there. I've performed it consistently at least 5 times in a row without running into too much difficulty :P
Start in the same place i do (just inside the red circle when it starts), then when the bullet to the left of you splits just tap left, down, right, up and stay there, you should be golden. maybe it takes a little bit to get used to .

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2016, 08:37:19 AM »
Sanae A seems to be stronger at shotgunning than Marisa B, if Shelia's midcard is anything to go by. However Marisa B is still probably superior score wise due to better 1st stage mid/ boss patterns and also a more manoeuvrable shottype for dealing with enemies from different angles (her side shots are great for easy shotgunning while staying out of harms way especially in stages like stage 4.

MarisaB is the shotgun queen in this game. You just weren't close enough.  :)

100 is likely the best you'll get as far as score.
101 is optimal flame shotgun.

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2016, 08:48:46 AM »
100 seems really effective actually and probably should be adopted instead of my tactic.

I mostly made up mine cos i wanted to see if i could clear it with minimal moves and make it look really difficult to do ;P

Still, even if that is the case having a significantly powerful shot without needing to be 100% pointblank is extremely useful. If Sanae A was a B type instead I'd definitely try her out for score, she'd very much give Marisa B a run for her money I think.

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2016, 08:56:28 AM »
Still, even if that is the case having a significantly powerful shot without needing to be 100% pointblank is extremely useful. If Sanae A was a B type instead I'd definitely try her out for score, she'd very much give Marisa B a run for her money I think.

SanaeA's a cool shot - it's my favorite by far.  If I actually tried, I could probably get past the 5 billion I have...now that I'm more familiar with how the shot works and stage 4 in general. She's the second strongest and even her unfocused shotgun isn't bad as far as damage.

Kizune-Chao

• Overambitous Fandom-hopping otaku
  • Fandom-hopping Otaku
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2016, 07:23:22 PM »
It's been nearly half a year since the second demo got released, and still no word about the full version.
At this rate, it'll be a few more months until we get the full version of the game. :(

But in the meantime, I've been busy working on an English patch for the current version!  :D
Interested? Look here!

EDIT: Make that a few HOURS.
( Of course I'm so late it's nearing release by the time I post  this...*FACEPALMS*)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 05:49:08 AM by Kizune-Chao »

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2016, 05:28:02 AM »
A couple weeks ago, Maceknight tweeted that the commemorative edition of the OST, including remixes and companion booklet, will be released on Oct. 16 at Autumn Reitaisai. The OST (including remixes) will also be released for free shortly after the game itself is, which... I imagine that'll probably be around October? But you never know.

Milka has also made several tweets about how they were originally planning an Overdrive Mode for the full version, but have settled for simply beefing up Lunatic and bumping the Overdrive card concepts down to there. Normal mode will remain pretty easy, though.

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
  • ♪ Present World Overhaul ♪
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2016, 06:27:20 PM »
Oh hey this game looks good too. I guess I've got some new games to stream soon :V
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »
HYPE INTENSIFIES

beware of minor spoilers

EDIT: Full game preview is up! (Nico's working this time) Heavy spoiler warning!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:34:33 PM by Jimmy »
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!

« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2016, 06:39:51 PM »
Here's a summary I wrote of the Stage 5 and 6 bosses' backstories from the info in the video. ssssssssssspoilers

« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2016, 07:12:24 PM »
Stage 5 and 6 looks really fun... and my expectancy for stage 6 certainly went beyond words... it gives a really different feel from others...! Although stage 6 boss fight is a bit too flashy... now can you imagine that in Lunatic mode...?  :V Now to wait for the full download...

Also I wonder what they have in store for EX Stage... possibly more exhilarating than Stage 6...  :D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:15:36 PM by Gradius2002 »

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2016, 11:45:37 PM »
BoSM v1.00 download

be cautious of the NSFW ads on the site (as usual)

EDIT: Having been eagerly awaiting this game's full release, I couldn't help but immediately play it through right after release. And Lord Almighty, this is by far the most elaborate shmup final boss fight I've ever seen anywhere to date, but goddamn she's hard as heck.
The themes kinda sound a bit eccentric on the first listen, but they've really grown on me after 2-3 more times and I already like them more than many official pieces.

I love this game.

A big thumbs up to Mace, raichu and anyone who participated in the making of BoSM!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 01:55:01 AM by Jimmy »
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2016, 12:52:35 AM »
Lunatic final boss is really tough...

EDIT: Lunatic 1cc Sanae A attached replay
I wanna put it up on youtube but I can't record the game without it crashing when I press the record button.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 01:26:24 AM by ZoomyTsugumi »

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2016, 02:04:54 AM »
Just did a normal 1cc of the game. The music is what sold me all the way. Gonna have to see how well the new bosses fare in Hard/Lunatic.

Seems like there was more to the end completion bonuses this time. Since it's all in Japanese, I had no idea what it said, but it looked really good. Speaking of which, I had the same feeling of confusion during the stage 6 boss and what ensued in that as well. But this definitely does not disappoint - can't wait for the extra + phantasm to show up, too.

Nolegs the Cat

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2016, 02:12:48 AM »
Download here since Jimmy's one is taken down apparently.

I can't wait. Watched Maceknight's video, looks amazing.