Author Topic: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread  (Read 147706 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread
« Reply #990 on: May 25, 2018, 01:59:48 AM »
I just cashed in a chunk of my trade binder for most of a Modern deck. I'm picking up WB Tokens I think. Gonna start with a half-budget build and round it out over time.

Man, I really only play WB apparently. Pestilence in Pauper, Knights in Standard, and Tokens in Modern. My favorite color is green, how did this happen?
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #991 on: May 25, 2018, 03:16:24 AM »
My box wasn't great sadly. I got a Mox Amber, foil helm of the host, golblin chain guy, and a few lands. Most of the other stuff was sub 5$

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #992 on: May 26, 2018, 04:02:47 AM »
Back from my first FNM in Standard since Eldritch Moon.

Deck: Mono-Blue Winds, though replace 1 Nimble Obstructionist with Unwind (it was bad but I didn't get one more in time and the LGS was out), and drop 1 Island for Karn.

This deck is fucking great and I said I was just running this as a way to get my feet in the format again, but I'm sticking with it as long as I can because again, it's great.

Match 1: against Red-Green Vehicles... or something. Had Heart of Kiran, Scrapheap Scrounger, Rekindling Phoenix, Jadelight Ranger, Merfolk Branchwalker... stuff like that.
Went 2-1 against him, and would have been 2-0 if I hadn't kept a risky 1-land hand (I had 2 Siren Stormtamers and an Unsummon so I thought I could stall until I had more lands, but alas.)

Match 2: Mono-Black Control
Went 2-0 against it. I thought I'd have a hard time with it, but no, turns out Stormtamer is great against pesky kill spells and Negate stops Bontu's Last Reckoning and shit.
Also, cycling Nimble Obstructionist against Saga triggers (he had Rite of Belzenlok) is really fucking funny.
"Can you do that?!"
"Sure can."

Match 3: Blue-White Control
Went 2-0 again. I thought I'd be royally fucked against this deck but in game 1 I was able to counter all his counters/removal and he never pulled Teferi. Game 2, he had to mull down to 5, got Teferi out, but I killed him with extreme prejudice before he could get the emblem out. Felt kinda bad, but at the same time, I know I shouldn't.

Match 4: Black-Green Counters
Went 1-2. I just don't know what to do against this deck. I couldn't keep my creatures alive AND mitigate Walking Ballista/Winding Constrictor at the same time, and I just couldn't take off before the counters got stupid. And Unsummon wasn't a very good card because his kill spell of choice (Chupacabra) would have been reusable, Ballista and Constrictor are cheap, and Verdurous Gearhulk would be really dumb to send back.

Still, punching down really expensive decks with relative ease with this $30 ultra-budget deck felt good. Got 3 packs (Foil Isolated Chapel and Tempest Djinn, Goblin Chainwhirler, Marwyn the Nurturer), and felt lucky and bought 3 more (History of Benalia, Josu Vess and foil Forest, The Antiquities War).

It has been a good night. Feels good to play Magic again for once.

Losing Nimble Obstructionist in rotation is gonna feel real bad though. That card was easily the MVP next to Djinn.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #993 on: May 27, 2018, 06:09:48 PM »
WB Knights has been a huge disappointment so far because it has horrible matchups against both WU Control and BG Snake. It scoops to both board wipes and big Walking Ballistas and those are extremely common.

I think I need to abandon the aggro build of the deck and go midrange. The key card to Knights us really Aryel, Knight of Windgrace. I always feel like I'm winning when she's in play and losing when she isn't, and her "tap knights to destroy creatures" mode is secretly the payoff to the tribe. I need to go up to four Aryels and cut some one and two drops. Although that's edging me closer to a deck that just wants 4x Karn, and he's going to have to drop a ton for me to consider that.

Incidentally I sold my foil Karn for $100, including some cash, some credit, and some cards for the Modern deck. Modern WB Tokens is just about playable now, I'm just missing a couple of Inquisitions that are in the mail and three Auriok Champions. It's not an optimized list by any means, but it should be usable. My trade binder is lot lighter now, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #994 on: May 27, 2018, 06:16:36 PM »
I wound up with ANOTHER Karn at my draft on Friday. Someone passed it to me because their pack had that and a foil mythic (which we suspect was another Karn)

I feel this is going to be like Amonkhet where I coast by on store credit from trading in mythics I pull which I'm fine with because I can put my money to my other hobbies that way

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #995 on: May 27, 2018, 09:42:50 PM »
Now is probably a good time for a new thread if anybody wants too. Also Rat Colony in MTGA is actually fun don't know why