Author Topic: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread  (Read 147721 times)

Re: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread
« Reply #960 on: March 28, 2018, 05:48:49 PM »
I wonder if people ordered less stock of Masters 25 because they weren't sure they were going to be able to make their money back on it, especially after Iconic performed badly and a bunch of people had to cut prices drastically to clear out their stock

Remember when we only got one Masters set a year and people liked them? Honestly I hope more non-Standard sets are like Conspiracy and Battlebond in terms of "affordable, accessible, and actually meant for people to open up and play"

As for the card backs, they're probably staying as is because they've wanted to change them as early as Arabian Nights or the rest of the Deckmaster brand line tanking and both times they decided against it, so I imagine it'll stay as is unless they can come up with a very strong justification

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #961 on: March 29, 2018, 03:36:15 AM »
Has anyone else been playing MTG Arena? I've been having fun with it, threw all my resources at a Dino deck but been doing well with a UB deck featuring 1 Nicoh Bolas and Locust God

« Reply #962 on: March 29, 2018, 04:32:19 AM »
Has anyone else been playing MTG Arena? I've been having fun with it, threw all my resources at a Dino deck but been doing well with a UB deck featuring 1 Nicoh Bolas and Locust God
I've been trying to get into the beta, no response yet

Update: getting my key on Friday night when I'm going to be actually playing in paper so probably not getting to it until Saturday or so
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 08:15:46 PM by Threefingered Ancient Caster »

« Reply #963 on: April 05, 2018, 08:24:00 PM »
So anyone keeping up with the official Dominaria spoiler season? I feel like it's easier to take in with the slow, gradual reveal rather than having half the set dumped at once plus the art has been really, really good.

I really want to build monogreen aggro in Standard with some of the tools that are going to be available

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #964 on: April 05, 2018, 08:50:12 PM »
Yeah, I'm also really liking the look of mono-green. Or maybe knight tribal.

The art in this set is incredible. There are like ten cards so far I would buy playmats of. Adventurous Impulse has amazing art and also looks like a great card.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #965 on: April 12, 2018, 03:49:11 PM »
Full card gallery for Dominaria is up now.

As someone who only started playing within the last few years and didn't really feel at all invested in any of the old lore that happened before Lorwyn/Alara, they've done a really good job making me and a lot of people feel really excited for this set.

There are a lot of cool reprints here, and this isn't getting into all the cards which are designed as homages to previous ones as well.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #966 on: April 15, 2018, 04:11:09 AM »
Alright, Pauper cards...

-Blink of an Eye a functional reprint of Into the Roil with way goofier art. Into the Roil does see a fair amount of Pauper play, but I don't think any decks want copies 5-8.

-Unwind seems amazing. One of the weaknesses of Delver is that it tends to choke its own mana pretty badly between Daze, Gush, and a low land count, so you can sneak things past counterwalls by just casting running threats. And Unwind can produce extra mana pretty easily in Teachings since it runs a lot of Dimir Aqueducts.

-Cabal Paladin seems like it has some potential in some kind of weird Eggs-like deck. There are a ton of cycles-from-play-for-free artifacts in Pauper and people have been experimenting a lot with Bleak Coven Vampires lately, so maybe some kind of Black Eggs could become a thing?

-Dark Bargain is basically a stretch limo version of Read the Bones which is a stretch limo version of Sign in Blood/Night's Whisper, which see plenty of play. Some control decks may want it. I'm slightly interested in the fact that I can tutor for it with Dimir House Guard in Pestilence. It doesn't dig quite as deep as Read the Bones though which does matter.

-Demonic Vigor may be a bit better than Undying Evil in Zuberas.

-Divest seems pretty powerful in general, I could see it seeing sideboard play.

-Rat Colony is probably better than the newly-legal-and-basically-unplayed Relentless Rats despite dying to a lot of extra common removal. Still not sure if it's good, but it can get deadly fast.

-Ghitu Lavamancer is insane. I'm genuinely scared for how powerful this card is.

-Radiating Lightning is another board sweeper alongside Blazing Volley and Electrickery. It's a weird one, I'm not sure what deck would want it over those, but it seems pretty good on paper. Maybe it's main-deckable in Boros or something which could give it a niche?

-Adventurous Impulse is amazing in general and should see play in most if not all formats. Digging three cards is admittedly kind of shallow so it could miss occasionally in the wrong deck, but it makes a lot of sketchy hands easily keepable and smooths out inconsistent decks like Aristocrats quite a lot. Basically feels like a green Ponder to me, I can see it seeing a ton of play.

And as an honorable mention, the basic land in this set is incredible. Wizards has been hitting basic land out of the park lately in general with Amonkhet and Kaladesh, but these might be even nicer. It even has pretty Mountains which is often not the case.  :D I'll be on the lookout for foils of a solid half of the basics.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #967 on: April 22, 2018, 12:07:09 AM »
I got an incredible sealed pool where I opened a prerelease foil Karn, which I pretty much immediately flipped for a bunch of money toward a box. The box was... weird, only three mythics, but they were all decently good mythics and there were some nice foil rares in there too. Strongly considering building the knights deck, but History of Benalia just keeps going up and up in price which is kind of worrying. I didn't open any and I don't know anyone who did. The knights deck feels pretty weird, not really sure it actually works, but I definitely want to try it.

« Reply #968 on: April 22, 2018, 12:41:47 AM »
Went 2-2 at my prerelease, wound up going mostly white/blue but had to splash black because I had both WB legendaries and a Cast Down and you don't look that gift horse in the mouth. Got Jaya Ballard and Multani but not enough of a red or green pool to make either work. Doing another prerelease tomorrow and gonna see how that one turns out

« Reply #969 on: April 22, 2018, 01:05:39 AM »
I realize that this video isn?t TCG related, but it is cardboard related.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #970 on: April 22, 2018, 04:32:49 AM »
Man, feels like so many people are getting crazy luck with their prerelease packs.

Meanwhile, over here in chaff city:

Promos: Yargle (a good froggy boi) and Woodland Cemetery
Rares:
The Mending of Dominaria
Helm of the Host
Precognition Field
Fall of the Thran
Grand Warlord Radha
Hinterland Harbor

Honestly if I stayed for the games (I'm so done with staying out so late for real), I could have done really well with a GB deck. I had a ton of good commons and uncommons for that.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #971 on: April 22, 2018, 03:08:48 PM »
Yargle is secretly terrifying in sealed. My buddy got third place (one higher than me out of 24 people) with a black/white deck with a Yargle and an On Serra's Wings that occasionally combined to instantly win games, and one of the other people who came with me got a game over on me in the last round with the same combo. Along with The Blackblade there's a lot of scary inevitability in this sealed environment..

Meanwhile, who out there has the guts for a Yargle Brawl deck? :D

« Reply #972 on: April 22, 2018, 03:20:18 PM »
personally my interest in Yargle is the six months that Fling is going to be still in Standard because that sounds like the most hilarious wincon, especially if you can cast Insult first

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #973 on: April 22, 2018, 03:37:47 PM »
Maybe this is my Pauper bias talking where I've died to this combo a million times with artifact lands, but Fling Yargle seems kind of counterproductive when Fling Atog is in the format. Only needs four artifacts to be as big as Yargle and getting bigger doesn't seem tricky. Especially when one of the artifacts can be Inspiring Statuary to make everything cheaper. And you can throw Claim//Fame in there for consistency.

« Reply #974 on: April 22, 2018, 03:44:00 PM »
honestly I'd rather just stick with Pummeler for the Fling combo since you don't necessarily need Fling to win with it plus you get Blossoming Defense to protect against removal

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #975 on: April 23, 2018, 03:01:04 AM »
Ended up going to another prerelease tonight. A two-headed giant one. It was fun, my buddy and I built really fun decks and they were a blast to play, but rounds were best-of-one and we got dunked by variance against much worse decks in two games which was unfortunate. Picked up a prerelease foil Kwende for the knights deck, that was nice.

This format honestly feels great. It's bombs bombs bombs slapping into each other in a way that feels pretty balanced. I haven't seen a card yet that felt format-breaking, the removal feels right for the power level, and there are a few directions you can build in. It maybe doesn't feel like there are super defined archetypes outside of a couple of color pairs, but that's fine by me. Might not be the best sealed format to play a hundred times, but it's great to play a few. And maybe it would be fun a hundred times, I dunno.  :D

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #976 on: April 30, 2018, 09:29:37 PM »
Has anyone played any Brawl? I'm building Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons but I don't really know how I should be building my decks. Do Commander rules apply as far as determining general playability goes, or are smaller effects good? Especially on creatures?

« Reply #977 on: May 01, 2018, 03:33:14 AM »
I dunno. I imagine having the smaller card pool to work with means you're going to be possibly using smaller effects out of necessity just because you don't have any better tools at your disposal. I'm going to try putting together the Beckett Brass deck I had planned and see how that works out

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #978 on: May 01, 2018, 04:31:35 AM »
I had a really hard time shaving the deck down to 59 cards, so I don't think there's a lack of playables in the format. It's just a weird tension between being on-theme to support your commander and including general goodstuff.

I'm kind of concerned about the format just because there are very few ways to protect and recover commanders. Arguably the best protection option is Curator's Ward in blue unless I'm forgetting something, but no Lighting Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots makes me think locking people's commanders under removal is going to be a common occurrence. And if you have a synergy commander and not a goodstuff commander that means you're automatically on the back foot.

Seems like maybe the "best" strategy would be to play a commander with ETB value and just ignore it beyond that, which is pretty lame in my opinion. But Hapatra is 2 mana so hopefully I'll be able to keep her in play enough to use her. I was running a bunch of mediocre one-time protection at one point but I had to cut most of it for space.

« Reply #979 on: May 07, 2018, 08:52:58 PM »
Finally stopped procrastinating and got around to opening the Dominaria bundle I got with store credit a few weeks ago. Managed to pull a Karn so that pretty much is the entire value earned back right there.

Slimefoot still hasn't come home yet.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #980 on: May 09, 2018, 04:22:22 PM »
Goddamn, Dominaria prices just keep rising. I think I gotta grab my fourth History Of Benalia today. I can't imagine it rising any more but this is like the third time I've said that...

« Reply #981 on: May 18, 2018, 03:02:38 PM »
Spring announcement day is here again.

In summary: Ravnica confirmed

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #982 on: May 20, 2018, 10:02:06 PM »
Goddamn, Dominaria prices just keep rising. I think I gotta grab my fourth History Of Benalia today. I can't imagine it rising any more but this is like the third time I've said that...

I just ordered a booster box. I've always wanted to order a booster box.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #983 on: May 21, 2018, 02:06:32 AM »
Well good luck! Opening boxes is always a blast and this is one of those rare times that it has a decent chance of being worth it.  :D

So I've been playing quite a bit of Brawl lately and I think my Hapatra deck is accidentally good. I keep oppressively rolling people with it. I don't know if Hapatra is secretly meta or people are building bad decks or I'm just getting lucky. Probably a combination of the last two. After the format changes Brawl is actually great, I look forward to Brawl games between rounds more than actually playing in events. Been seeing a nice wide variety of decks, lots of cool cards are playable, it's extremely affordable... I definitely recommend people give it a shot. I didn't think I would like it, but I do, a lot.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-05-18-CTf-hapatra-brawl/?cb=1526868346

« Reply #984 on: May 21, 2018, 05:15:11 AM »
I'm hearing from my LGS that part of the reason for the Dominaria price increase is that demand for the set massively outstripped supply and WoTC simply isn't able to ship print runs to retailers fast enough to keep up in the US

UPDATE: Battlebond previews are starting. Support and Partner are returning mechanics, we have a new mechanic called Assist, and Doubling Season is getting a reprint
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 03:00:24 PM by Threefingered Ancient Caster »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #985 on: May 22, 2018, 03:36:50 AM »
So is it just me or is Gorm The Great from Battlebond very confusing?

"Gorm the Great must be blocked if able, and Gorm must be blocked by two or more creatures if able."

What? So if I have three creatures do they all have to block him? Or do just two have to block him? Either way I feel like that should have been worded differently.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #986 on: May 22, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »
Just have 2.

It would be better worded as "must be blocked by 2 or more creatures, and must be blocked if able".

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #987 on: May 22, 2018, 02:34:33 PM »
It would be better worded as "must be blocked by 2 or more creatures, and must be blocked if able".
Although this makes it sound like it wouldn't be blockable if you only have 1 creature, whereas the original text sounds to me like you can block it with just 1 creature if that's all you have available to block with.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #988 on: May 23, 2018, 12:58:41 AM »
My box came today. Now to find people to open it with.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #989 on: May 23, 2018, 12:41:27 PM »
Although this makes it sound like it wouldn't be blockable if you only have 1 creature, whereas the original text sounds to me like you can block it with just 1 creature if that's all you have available to block with.

It makes it sound that way because it can't be blocked by just 1 creature. The reason why I flipped it is because "can't be blocked unless blocked by 2 or more creatures" is Menace and I'm not sure why they didn't just label it as such since Menace is more or less an evergreen mechanic. So Menace already establishes that it can only be blocked by 2 or more, and the second bit says that opponents don't have a choice, they MUST block with at least 2 if they have 2 or more.