Author Topic: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread  (Read 149683 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread
« Reply #510 on: September 20, 2016, 12:17:30 PM »
Hey Matsuri, are you still looking at Modern Soul Sisters builds? I seem to remember that being a thing before. Have you seen this one?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-94-15-tix-modern-stake-sisters

Seems like a really cool variant (the non-budget one in particular is very potent) that I had never heard of before.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #511 on: September 20, 2016, 02:00:37 PM »
Aye, I saw that. I've been collecting pieces for Norin Sisters for a while now-- all I really need is the lands and I'm all set with it, really. And since Kaladesh is bringing out those lovely red-white fastlands, I can do without spending $60 on the shocklands instead.

Honestly, I want to give it a go. Much as I love Soul Sisters, the monowhite build is losing favor with me, and I don't really know why. I love the deck, to be sure, but I just can't get the value out of it that other players do. Maybe I'm just not very good at it? I dunno. Maybe a more aggressive, overwhelming build like this would do it good.

Right now I'm playing Death and Taxes in a white/blue shell so I can run Spell Queller and Reflector Mage. I'm not super crazy about it, though, because it's super soft to control decks. The black/white/colorless Eldrazi version is much less so, so I'll be making that soon, instead.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #512 on: September 23, 2016, 08:07:57 AM »
Prerelease today! Who else is braving the midnight with me?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #513 on: September 23, 2016, 09:13:01 AM »
No... I have obligations on Saturday mornings that would make midnight events  a bad idea, plus I don't really lije the local stores that run them. And I don't want to. :colbert:

My usual store isn't doing an event because the manager just didn't bother to order the kit, so I'm probably going to try a place I've never been before, and on Saturday instead of Sunday. I'd be lying if I said an interest in showing off my new Danmaku!! playmats wasn't a decent motivating factor in my decision to go.

« Reply #514 on: September 23, 2016, 04:20:42 PM »
Prerelease today! Who else is braving the midnight with me?
I'm recovering from a cold, so any prerelease this weekend is probably out of the question for me. Also, the one store that does prereleases that fit with my work schedule got rid of any of the staff I could really put up with on a regular basis

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #515 on: September 23, 2016, 05:40:49 PM »
There do seem to be some pretty.... unbearable personalities in the Magic community. I'm happy that while my main LGS has its insufferable bastards, the shopkeep is a well-to-do kind person.

« Reply #516 on: September 23, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »
There do seem to be some pretty.... unbearable personalities in the Magic community. I'm happy that while my main LGS has its insufferable bastards, the shopkeep is a well-to-do kind person.
The main LGS I frequent is good but their prereleases run from noon onward which conflicts with my weekend shifts, there's one that starts a few hours earlier so if I wanted I can barely squeeze it in but their TO is kind of loud and brash and the store in general attracts some people whose type I generally can't stand

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #517 on: September 24, 2016, 10:16:32 AM »
Back from prerelease after FNM for a total of 11 hours spent at the LGS. Dead tired.

FNM went well, I came in 2nd and got an Emrakul in one of my victory packs.

Prerelease was... well, I got Dovin Baan and a foil green/black fast land? My draft options were pretty terrible. Went 3-2 for 20th place. Two people pulled fucking MANA CRYPTS.  I faced one of them. The guy was pretty fucking insufferable and I'm glad he isn't a regular. Actually, a lot of the non-regulars were pretty unbearable. Very rude or argumentative over rules. Had to call the judge multiple times over obvious shit.

I'm so exhausted. My last round (with the insufferable Mana Crypt guy) went on for 30 goddamn minutes as I slowly stalled him out while explaining why his misplays were illegal (I'm sorry, you cannot declare your full attack at me ("I'm swinging 8!" "Ugh... yeah, I'll take it.") and then say "Your planeswalker dies" after damage has resolved and you never declared an attack at him. Do not get fucking pissy at me at 5 in the fucking morning when I explain how you cannot do that. It's your own damn fault and your own damn misplay and hell fucking no I won't let you rollback to try again, especially after I already let you do that earlier in the game.)

(And no, I'm not going to accept a draw just because you want to end the game, especially because I'm going to finish you off next turn. Yes, I'm tired too. I don't care if you "have only had 4 hours of sleep for the past 2 days". That's your fault too. Suck it up or forfeit.)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:38:43 AM by Matsuri »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #518 on: September 24, 2016, 12:07:36 PM »
I think my least favorite flavor of tabletop gamer, of all of the crappy terrible flavors, is "Constantly bring up the fact that I didn't get much sleep last night to justify how badly I'm playing and/or how frequently I'm attempting to cheat" guy. 

Now that I think about it, I have never had a positive experience at a midnight prerelease.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #519 on: September 24, 2016, 04:16:22 PM »
I won't lie-- sometimes I'm that person. Hell, that even happened at FNM tonight. I mulliganed at the start of a round and accidentally drew 7 again. My opponent saw and all I said was "ah, sorry. Kinda spaced out there for a second. My mistake." He simply let me re-mulligan.

The difference here is that I didn't try to start a fight over my own damned mistake. Magic is, at its core, a complex game of rules. It's only natural to do a misplay now and again-- everyone does it and I typically give everyone one strike if they do likewise for me, as long as the strike isn't extremely obvious cheating.

I dunno how I feel about midnight prereleases, now that this is my third one. The LGS is hot and crowded with tons of unfamiliar people, many of whom are very socially inept or downright rude... at midnight and beyond, no less. You have to construct a deck with limited resources and if you don't get anything fairly synergistic, you don't stand a chance against people who drew nothing but solid gold. I actually completely reconstructed my deck from white/red to white/blue between Match 1 and Match 2 because the deck simply did not perform. And you KNOW that's desperation at work, because blue in Kaladesh is AWFUL. But I basically had to make the deck run around Dovin Baan, because once he's down, you can grind the game to a halt and slowly control it. The only reason I went 3-2 is because I played against a lot of tired, inexperienced players who made lots of misplays and I exploited those more with my own bluffs than with the quality of my cards. Otherwise, my deck was hot garbage and did not deserve to win anything. Compound that with how tired I am right now and how honestly irritated I am with the people I had to deal with and I have to wonder if it's worth it. I love getting prerelease packs and getting the fancy-shmancy promos and testing my MtG skills in Limited, but it still boils so much down to luck when I'm much more adjusted to Constructed, where decks are meant to run like clockwork. (So while I'm annoyed, I'm proud of myself for having a positive win ratio.) But I can't say I enjoy the rest of it-- the packed store, the rude players, the late-night grind... honestly, unless Aether Revolt is *amazing* I'll probably just pop in at midnight, grab my pack, and go home.

However, my tip for anyone playing prerelease draft: If you have good green cards, RUN THEM. Green is absolutely busted in Kaladesh Limited and probably Constructed too. The guy who won that night is an acquaintance of mine and his deck was Green with splashes of red and blue and he went completely undefeated. My green set was sadly terrible, while my White was fairly good and my red and blue were passable. Black is pretty bad in Kaladesh, possibly as bad as Blue.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #520 on: September 24, 2016, 04:51:47 PM »
As far as I know I'm still going to an event tonight, so good to know. I'll keep that in mind. I definitely looked at the spoiler but I didn't really evaluate it in terms of limited, just Commander
So I'm sure I missed plenty

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #521 on: September 24, 2016, 05:06:51 PM »
As much as I love the elegance of Kaladesh's artifacts, whoever designed the prerelease box and the cute little Thopter papercraft inside needs to be fired for how needlessly hyper-complicated they made such simple things. The box is awkward and hard to open, and the thopter is so EXTREMELY FRAGILE that I just spent about 40 minutes trying to build it, only for it to collapse. Thankfully, there's a little box inside the box for storage of the pieces to keep you from throwing the dumb thing across the room.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #522 on: September 25, 2016, 05:17:55 AM »
Just got back from my event. Pulled Nissa, played white/green, placed first. Got to kill multiple people with trains. Didn't pull anything much of note from my prize packs.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #523 on: September 25, 2016, 05:50:28 AM »
Told you green was busted. Nice job. :P

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #524 on: September 25, 2016, 03:55:13 PM »
I played a one-on-one Commander game with a guy before the event yesterday who had a deck that was built entirely around cheating original Emrakul into play with Polymorph kinds of effects, and I NEARLY beat him (he was at three life, and I let him rewind a play or I would have won) before we scooped to start the event, but I was probably going to lose at that point. It just dawned on me... Emrakul, The Aeons Torn is fucking banned in Commander! :wat:

« Reply #525 on: September 25, 2016, 05:02:45 PM »
I played a one-on-one Commander game with a guy before the event yesterday who had a deck that was built entirely around cheating original Emrakul into play with Polymorph kinds of effects, and I NEARLY beat him (he was at three life, and I let him rewind a play or I would have won) before we scooped to start the event, but I was probably going to lose at that point. It just dawned on me... Emrakul, The Aeons Torn is fucking banned in Commander! :wat:
Is this sort of thing a common occurrence in your local Commander group? I played against a guy with a RIDICULOUSLY expensive deck a couple weeks ago and my mind either broke from being destroyed so viciously or he had at least one mox in there (he definitely had a Time Twister)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #526 on: September 25, 2016, 05:37:50 PM »
Hard to say. My personal Commander group is five other people that I hand-picked and hand-crafted to be into the format on more or less the same level I am, so for the most part with them there's none of that kind of shit. Last time I played with a local group I wasn't familiar with, definitely. It was just all Stax and five-color superfriends and turn-three infinite combos. I got aggressively invited by a guy I work with to play with his group on Friday and he claims they're not that competitive, but everybody says that and they're often lying. I'll be checking it out and bringing at least a couple of my people with me this week.

He also insisted I built a Tiny Leaders deck with cards I happened to have laying around, so I reworked my old dismantled Alesha, Who Smiles At Death deck into one of those. Kind of curious to see how that works.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #527 on: September 26, 2016, 04:50:47 AM »
They've spoiled one Love Live Sunshine card and it's so insanely good and I'm so excited is it late November yet. Also Persona 5 is getting released for Weiss on December 16th, so beware of spoilers if you follow the game

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #528 on: September 26, 2016, 08:03:33 AM »
Oh yes/noooo! I really hope Persona 5 gets localized in a timely fashion because I do really want it, but not too fast because I definitely don't want spoilers.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #529 on: September 26, 2016, 01:22:50 PM »
As far as I know, P5 is coming out in English in February.

Meanwhile, on the MtG front: I'm really digging some of these Kaladesh budget deck ideas for Standard. Kaladesh has next to nothing to offer for my Spirits deck, so I may just leave it retired to Modern, since I'm switching my Death and Taxes deck from UW to BW once my Eldrazi Temples come in-- thus leaving my Modernized Spirits deck in place. So I think I may be running that "Car Zoo" deck because it seems... actually pretty fantastic? Though I think I'd use some Reckless Bushwhackers or something to pump everyone up.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #530 on: September 26, 2016, 01:32:49 PM »
As far as I know, P5 is coming out in English in February.

Oh yeah it is, sorry, I meant the cards. Although yeah, the odds of a Weiss Schwarz set being released just a few months apart in Japanese and English are pretty much zero I suppose.

Meanwhile, on the MtG front: I'm really digging some of these Kaladesh budget deck ideas for Standard. Kaladesh has next to nothing to offer for my Spirits deck, so I may just leave it retired to Modern, since I'm switching my Death and Taxes deck from UW to BW once my Eldrazi Temples come in-- thus leaving my Modernized Spirits deck in place. So I think I may be running that "Car Zoo" deck because it seems... actually pretty fantastic? Though I think I'd use some Reckless Bushwhackers or something to pump everyone up.

I was also admiring that deck. The judge at the place I played Saturday is also one of my coworker, and he's been trying to get me to play there forever. His latest offer is that he'll build me whatever deck I want to use at events, so I'm strongly considering having him make me a tweaked version of that. And if I like it and the people at his store enough I may build it myself.

« Reply #531 on: September 26, 2016, 01:37:59 PM »
So I think I may be running that "Car Zoo" deck because it seems... actually pretty fantastic? Though I think I'd use some Reckless Bushwhackers or something to pump everyone up.
My ideas for building RW was more in the vein of using the 0-mana equipment like Bone Saw or Cathar's Shield with stuff like Weapons Trainer and Reckless Bushwhacker to get a bunch of big stuff fast

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #532 on: September 26, 2016, 02:03:05 PM »
That sounds cool too, but I think I'm more on the Vehicle bandwagon because Smuggler's Copter and Fleetwheel Cruiser are just completely nuts-- even more so with Veteran Motorist and Depala.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #533 on: September 26, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »
Man, nobody's going to be able to stop me from junking up that deck with copies of Aradara Express and Start Your Engines. There's your Bushwhacker effect right there.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #534 on: September 26, 2016, 02:58:52 PM »
Oooh, I forgot about Start Your Engines. Even better than the Bushwhacker!

« Reply #535 on: October 01, 2016, 05:34:05 AM »
Finally got to play with Kaladesh after missing prerelease.

Drafted R/W with some vehicles, wound up not getting there with it due to facing an intense control matchup but I had fun seeing how all the parts fit together. Looking forward to more in coming weeks.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #536 on: October 10, 2016, 06:52:36 AM »
Help I won my Weiss Regional and now I have to fly to New York in a month for Nationals

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #537 on: October 10, 2016, 07:13:53 AM »
Oh wow, congratulations! How was that? I wish it was enough of a game for us to have something like that locally but nobody closer than Detroit plays it. How many people were at your regional? Do you know how many to expect for nationals?

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #538 on: October 10, 2016, 07:26:41 AM »
Oh wow, congratulations! How was that? I wish it was enough of a game for us to have something like that locally but nobody closer than Detroit plays it. How many people were at your regional? Do you know how many to expect for nationals?

A lot of people didn't care and screwed around, it was fun though. We had 12 people all local. Nationals is 94+ invites so it'll be around 100 if everybody shows up

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #539 on: October 24, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »
New Commander stuff is being spoiled. Thoughts?

I'm intrigued, if not only because I finally started building an EDH deck (commander: Sydri, Galvanic Genius) myself. It puts all of my favorite colors and artifacts to work, and has pretty Terese Nielsen art as well :*