Author Topic: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread  (Read 149679 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread
« Reply #900 on: January 11, 2018, 05:18:40 PM »
Hmm, Grand Prix Indianapolis has a Pauper side event a week from Sunday. I miiight go to that. It's not too much of a drive from Lansing, so depending on the weather and if anyone else local  wants to go I might head down.

The Professor is going to be there and apparently he hates Pestilence, I'd love to make him sign one of my Pestilences.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #901 on: January 11, 2018, 05:23:46 PM »
I'm actually going to be in Indy playing Pauper with my college friend that weekend! Dunno if we'll go to the GP though. Is that something you need to sign up for? I'll probably be playing Kuldotha Boros if I do.

Also, you need to post a pic of that signed Pestilence if you do.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #902 on: January 11, 2018, 05:38:26 PM »
I'm not really sure how signup works. I know for the main events you have to sign up Friday(?) or earlier and I thiiiink side events can be day-of signup, but I'd have to ask someone who knows how these things work to be confident.

If I do end up going (which is going to be down to the snow or lack thereof in large part I think) then you better come too! Or at least we'll have to meet up for a game or something.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #903 on: January 11, 2018, 05:45:45 PM »
It all depends on if my friend wants to go. I'm driving  down there to visit my friend.

« Reply #904 on: January 14, 2018, 01:04:19 AM »
Went 2-2 at prerelease deck with a fairly decent blue/black deck with a small amount of white, although I had a very rough first round where I only got one land out after mulliganing to five.

Pulls:
-Kumena's Awakening (datestamped promo)
-Blood Sun
-Bishop of Binding
-Etali, Primal Storm
-Warkite Marauder
-Deathgorge Scavenger
-Vraska's Contempt
-foil Plains
-foil Forest
-World Shaper (prize pack)
-Polyraptor (prize pack)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #905 on: January 14, 2018, 02:04:56 AM »
Ended up going 3-1 with UG Merfolk in my prerelease. Placed third out of 14. Opened some stuff I wanted, but man, it's rough trying to get value out of this set. Some stuff will inevitably go up so maybe I'll make a little more of my buyin back once the prices settle. I think the best thing I pulled out of the twelve packs I opened as it was ended up being a foil Merfolk Mistbinder.

« Reply #906 on: January 15, 2018, 04:22:34 PM »
New Banned & Restricted update for Standard is out. The hammer's come down hard this time.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #907 on: January 15, 2018, 06:39:01 PM »
I mean, ultimately this is good. Wizards made their bed, they did this on purpose, so they gotta deal with it. And they are.

On the other hand, I can never help but think "What are we, Yu Gi Oh?" whenever this happens...

Watching the Rivals of Ixilan prices settle is going to be pretty interesting now...

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #908 on: January 15, 2018, 09:10:42 PM »
I know it's necessary, but it's fucking hilarious to me that such small, basic cards got banned.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #909 on: January 16, 2018, 01:03:54 AM »
I know right? I've got a buddy who played Magic years ago who I was showing the banlist to this morning and he was like "All of these cards seem perfectly fine compared to Skullclamp and Jace. Why are these banned?". Even Looter Scooter doesn't look that bad in a vacuum. And he was able to spot the Crazy Cat Lady combo pretty quickly, unlike Wizards R&D. :V (Granted I put the two cards in front of him and told him to spot the degeneracy, he probably wouldn't have if just presented with the whole card pool.)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #910 on: February 04, 2018, 12:29:18 AM »
Oof, yup, Pauper prices are getting crazy. I'm trying to build a Kuldotha Boros variant right now and Battle Screech has hit $6+ a copy. I swear I had a couple of copies laying around for years, but of course I can't find them now...

Edit: Alright, managed to hunt down all the pieces and get some decent deals, so I ordered a token-heavy Kuldotha Boros. I've always wanted to use Rally The Peasants in Pauper and didn't realize it was actually downgraded to common after all in Eternal Masters.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:45:56 AM by commandercool »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #911 on: February 04, 2018, 04:22:16 PM »
Pauper prices are volatile as fuck. I built Kuldotha Boros/Boros Monarch a few weeks ago, and my Battle Screeches were like $7 a piece. A week later, I snagged a whole playset for around $2 a piece.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #912 on: February 04, 2018, 04:56:37 PM »
All things considered the deck will have probably run me around $60. But my Lightning Bolts and Pyroblasts are borrowed and they're a decent chunk of that, so I only actually paid $40-45 so far. That bought me a lot of mismatched playsets that I'll need to straighten out later, but I guess that's still very cheap even if it's approaching expensive for Pauper.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #913 on: February 10, 2018, 02:33:42 AM »
So I just ordered $5 worth of tokens from Troll and Toad to finish off Pauper Boros, and I figured I'd check to see if they had any sales on sleeves. They have a ton of Touhou sleeves in stock right now. I've bought these before, some of the same designs and some different ones, and I'm pretty happy with the quality of them. So if you have any interest in Touhou sleeves, grab 'em quick before they disappear. My $5 order turned into a $50 order in like 30 seconds.

Now I have Reimu sleeves to go on my red and white deck, which is very satisfying. Too bad it doesn't use counters so I don't have an excuse to whip out my custom Reimu D6s, but I have some red-and-white percentile dice I can use for my life total...  :D

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #914 on: February 10, 2018, 04:23:50 AM »
I dropped a little money into PTCGO to get myself some Tapu Lele GXs and some vital cards for Gardevoir-GX deck. It's a blast to play and I kiiiiiiiiiiinda want to build it IRL?

I also pulled 2 Dusk Mane Necrozma-GX from consecutive packs of Ultra Prism in the game too, and pulled a third today. The DM Necrozma and Magnezone deck is real.

« Reply #915 on: February 10, 2018, 05:32:47 PM »
Finally got around to buying the last few cheap pieces I needed to finish up my Ghave, Guru of Spores deck and was wondering if anybody had any insights.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #916 on: February 11, 2018, 01:42:23 AM »
Alright, let's see...

-32 land is extremely low, even with a few mana rocks and mana dorks.

-Speaking of mana dorks, traditional ones are awful in Commander. Get rid of Elves Of Deep Shadow and Avacyn's Pilgrim. Add Cultivate and Kodama's Reach, which should always be in all Commander decks with green.

-Meren is not very powerful when he's not your commander IMO because it's harder to keep him in play to build up and use experience.

-Ainok Bond-Kin and Kheru Bloodsucker seem underwhelming to me. Ruthless Knave is also questionable.

-Add Lifeblood Hydra if at all possible. Lifeblood Hydra is one of my favorite cards ever. Likewise with Hornet Queen, which is just always good to have around.

-Bone Splinters and Angelic Purge are extremely weak removal by Commander standards. Also not a fan of Abrupt Decay in Commander. Meanwhile Return To Dust, Swords To Plowshares, and Hero's Downfall are much more powerful and not too expensive.

-Manalith is strictly worse than Commander's sphere, which you aren't playing. Felwar Stone and Darksteel Ingot are also much better than Manalith.

-I'm of the opinion that pretty much all Commander decks should be running Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots.

-Temple Of The False God, Exotic Orchard, and Path Of Ancestry are all must-have lands.

-You're in the correct colors to run the Cabal Coffers package if you want. Add Cabal Coffers, Urborg Tomb Of Yawgmoth, Forgotten Temple, Hour Of Promise, Expedition Map, and Sylvan Scrying. Uvenwald Hydra is optional.

« Reply #917 on: February 11, 2018, 03:00:52 AM »
-Kheru Bloodsucker I mostly wanted to put in because I had the foil version from a Khans draft but it can be replaced if necessary. Ainok Bond-Kin and Ruthless Knave are removable to make room for other, better cards if possible.
-Return to Dust, Swords, and Path can go in. I don't have Hero's Downfall but I do have Vraska's Contempt and Ruinous Path which I consider "close enough", plus Utter End is reasonably obtainable.
-Meren is mostly there because I wanted the reanimation engine, although it can be replaced with something more stable like Baloth Null
-Lifeblood Hydra can go in although I'll have to buy it first. Is Genesis Hydra worth bothering with for this sort of deck?
-Boots/Greaves was being considered but I wasn't sure I had room for it in the 99
-I have Temple of the False God and Path of Ancestry, I don't have Exotic Orchard but I imagine Reflecting Pool is close enough.
-Cabal Coffers and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth are right out unless I can straight-up trade for them. Sylvan Scrying can go in.

This deck is more "I had a bunch of rares, draft chaff, and stuff from other precons I could make something synergistic with" rather than anything meant to be 100% super optimal

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #918 on: February 11, 2018, 03:17:56 AM »
-Return to Dust, Swords, and Path can go in. I don't have Hero's Downfall but I do have Vraska's Contempt and Ruinous Path which I consider "close enough", plus Utter End is reasonably obtainable.

Any of those would be great. Ruinous Path is pretty mediocre in my opinion (I much prefer Never//Return as sorcery-speed Hero's Downfalls go), but it's still a totally solid option if you don't happen to have anything else on hand.

-Meren is mostly there because I wanted the reanimation engine, although it can be replaced with something more stable like Baloth Null

Consider Journey To Eternity. If you want to get spicy, Moldgraff Monstrosity is really fun to play with too.

-Lifeblood Hydra can go in although I'll have to buy it first. Is Genesis Hydra worth bothering with for this sort of deck?

I've tested Genesis Hydra in a few decks and I think outside of maaaaybe hardcore ramp it's stone-cold unplayable.

-I have Temple of the False God and Path of Ancestry, I don't have Exotic Orchard but I imagine Reflecting Pool is close enough.

Reflecting Pool is fine, might as well run it, but it's much worse than Exotic Orchard. I recommend anyone interested in Commander pick up 10+ Exotic Orchards, they can be gotten VERY cheaply online (just a few cents), they go in every non-monocolored deck in the format, and they're great trade fodder. I had 20 of them at one point and I'm down to a handful remaining between putting them in my own decks and trading them en masse to people who aren't already running them but have a bunch of decks to put them in. The rules change to Commander mana generation made them great, since they can now produce any color if any opponent controls a Command Tower. And they probably do.

-Cabal Coffers and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth are right out unless I can straight-up trade for them. Sylvan Scrying can go in.

I'm not a big fan of Sylvan Scrying outside of searching Cabal Coffers or maybe other very specific utility lands in certain decks. I wouldn't just slot it in over something like Rampant Growth or Satyr Wayfinder or a mana rock unless you're looking for Coffers or Academy Ruins or another very crucial land. Some people like it just to search out Temple Of The False God though, which is fair enough.

Other generally good and inexpensive cards that are worth considering in your colors: Sunblast Angel, Graveborn Muse, Whip Of Erebos, Greenwarden Of Murasa, Woodland Bellower, Sepulchral Primordial, and Hallowed Burial. I consider all of those cards to be "personal staples", where I would think hard before building a deck in their colors that doesn't include them. Special mention goes to Austere Command, the best board wipe in the format in my opinion, but it's been creeping up in value for a while now and I don't think I could consider it "inexpensive" anymore.

Edit: Hooooly shit I had no idea Urborg and Cabal Coffers had gotten THAT expensive. I wonder if that happened after Hour Of Promise came out? Almost makes me want to sell mine, but my FNM Cabal Coffers has been with me for a long time and I've gotten tons and tons of use out of it, so I think I'll hang onto it. Also, I meant Deserted Temple, not Forgotten Temple, which is not a card. Incidentally, Deserted Temple may be my favorite Magic art of all time. I'd love to have a foil but they're monstrously expensive.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:21:14 AM by commandercool »

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #919 on: February 12, 2018, 05:11:11 AM »
Been pawing through my Pokemon card collection and wondering...Is the Pokemon TCG still played these days? I barely played the actual game (aside from its digital counterparts), and was wondering if anyone still cared about it.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #920 on: February 12, 2018, 07:07:24 AM »
Been pawing through my Pokemon card collection and wondering...Is the Pokemon TCG still played these days? I barely played the actual game (aside from its digital counterparts), and was wondering if anyone still cared about it.

I dropped a little money into PTCGO to get myself some Tapu Lele GXs and some vital cards for Gardevoir-GX deck. It's a blast to play and I kiiiiiiiiiiinda want to build it IRL?

I also pulled 2 Dusk Mane Necrozma-GX from consecutive packs of Ultra Prism in the game too, and pulled a third today. The DM Necrozma and Magnezone deck is real.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #921 on: February 12, 2018, 02:25:43 PM »
InB4 Modern banlist update.

What do you think, will we see the predicted "Ban Lantern piece, unban Jace, unban Bloodbraid"?

I genuinely considered buying a few Tarmogoyfs and a stack of Lightning Bolts at the last second in anticipation of those changes but if they do spike the window to flip will be short because I assume they'll both be in M25. And of course there's a decent chance the banlist doesn't shake out that way after all.

« Reply #922 on: February 12, 2018, 03:47:34 PM »
InB4 Modern banlist update.

What do you think, will we see the predicted "Ban Lantern piece, unban Jace, unban Bloodbraid"?
well the fools did it

Jace and Bloodbraid are unbanned, nothing else has been touched
now to watch repeatable fateseal push Lantern over the top

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #923 on: February 12, 2018, 04:16:52 PM »
I don't want to be alarmist, but put me in the camp that thinks this is unnecessarily risky at best. Blatant ad for Masters 25 is blatant...

Hopefully it works out, I dunno.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #924 on: February 12, 2018, 05:47:40 PM »
So much for ever getting a Jace for EDH.

I'm so glad I quit modern.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #925 on: February 13, 2018, 03:36:40 AM »
quotes
Huh, what's your username on that game? I wouldn't mind dueling you! :D

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #926 on: February 17, 2018, 01:12:03 AM »
I finished Kuldotha Boros and have been testing it against a few people. I really don't like the mana base of the standard version of the deck. It feels like it has too many tapped lands and too few lands overall. I may need to make room for 1-3 more lands and consider cutting the Windscarred Crags or cycling lands or something for more basics. If it gets rolling (and doesn't get an awkward draw with all Kor Skyfishers and Glint Hawks or something) then it tends to take over games, but the slow and light manabase seems like it chokes more often than I want it to.

I've had more than a few games where I could have been completely blown out by having my Prophetic Prism destroyed since it was my only source of red mana and my only artifact to bounce with Glint Hawk, but fortunately people never target it. People tend to board in artifact removal for my Great Furnaces and Ancient Dens, but if you're ever playing against Kuldotha Boros keep in mind that Prophetic Prism can be really important early game, so it might be totally worth spending half an Ancient Grudge on. Especially in response to a Glint Hawk or Kuldotha Rebirth. The blowout potential can be huge.

« Reply #927 on: February 23, 2018, 03:58:07 PM »
So they just posted the lists for the Challenger Decks and they look... actually pretty playable out of the box. Wish these weren't coming out with so much Kaladesh/Amonkhet content with rotation gradually approaching but the fact three out of the four prebuilts resemble ones that have been popular in the meta gives me hope for the product

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #928 on: February 23, 2018, 04:14:05 PM »
Woah, I'm really impressed by those. They're not perfectly refined obviously but that's a very solid foundation.

« Reply #929 on: February 23, 2018, 05:46:28 PM »
meanwhile I am really having a craving for building UG Merfolk for standard. I feel like I want to go for "Deeproot Elite, a bunch of hard-to-block and/or hard-to-kill stuff, and Curious Obsession". Short of more stuff getting hit with the banstick it should be reasonably future-proofed until 2019 apart from Blossoming Defense rotating out