Author Topic: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread  (Read 147691 times)

Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread
« on: September 10, 2015, 06:31:35 PM »
I figured we could use a thread for card games. MTG, YGO, Pokemon TCG, Vanguard, if there's a significant playerbase here it would be nice to get some discussion going.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
Re: Cardboard rehab: TCG/CCG thread
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 07:30:09 PM »
Currently playing WeebWeiss Schwarz, just made a new deck (RIP wallet). In terms of preference I like WS > MTG > YGO. I quit YGO forever ages ago, couldn't stand its expensive cards and dumb metagame. Didn't get into Vanguard or Pokemon that much so I can't really judge.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 07:59:51 PM »
We play a ton of Vanguard at our association, though when I say "we", I mean I just help organizing the tournaments because I'm more of a WS guy. I have a Railgun deck, and I am still sad Melty Blood is bottom tier.

I'm a big fan of Yu-gi-oh, though I don't play that much IRL. I wanted to make a Madolche/Ghostrick hybrid deck out of my Ghostrick deck, but the price of certains cards I want is ridiculous (Yuki Usagi, to name it), so I settled for a Quasar Synchron Deck, being a big fan of Synchros.
Maybe I'll try to make an Aromage deck once they're more supported, I like cute archetypes, like Naturia or Majespecter. :derp:

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 08:05:30 PM »
I have a couple friends here who play Magic, but personally I don't like it too much. Too slow, and half your deck is filler, you can get tanked so easily either waiting for mana cards or drawing nothing but mana cards.
I have one friend who plays Vanguard, but that's it, so I don't really find it worth it to play that either. The game kind of eludes me to be honest, it's a bit hard to understand. He also plays Yugioh, but again he's the only one I know of. We like to make fun of how stupid the game is becoming. It's sooo fast. I do half wish I had more card playing buddies like in high school, but it is a somewhat expensive hobby.
Art style wise, I think the full-card illustrations for Vanguard is really cool, but seems too anime-y. I like the Yugioh style better, it's anime-ish, but not weeaboo levels of it.
I stopped Yugioh a bit before XYZ was a thing. I had cyber dragons and a fortune lady deck. Both anime inspired really, they both sucked. Watching Arc-V though.
Those are the only three I know of unfortunately :/
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 08:27:57 PM »
I play Magic extensively (though casually). I also sort of play Weiss Scwarz and VS. System, although those are distant second and third place.

Now that we're on this topic, has anyone else picked up the new Vs. System reboot? For those who won't know, Vs. System was a superhero card game published by Upper Deck between 2004 and 2009. It played similarly to the arguably better-known World Of Warcraft CCG, and it was (mostly) great.

A few weeks ago Upper Deck released the first wave of their reboot of the brand after threatening to bring it back for years. It's published as an LCG now, the game is significantly different, and frankly it kind of blows. The card pool is tiny, the ruleset is so harshly simplified that it seriously harms gameplay, and there are virtually no utility effects in the game which makes it extremely topdeck-centric. I sort of hate it, but has anyone else played it? Am I not giving it enough of a chance?
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Dahel

• Preparing myself for an incoming failure...
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 01:54:54 PM »
I'm a big fan of yu-gi-oh! on simulators, with a few decks IRL. My current deck is a Prediction Princess mill deck, because I love how tarotray can abuse flip effects, especially the MVP of the deck : Needle Worm.

I'm not a big IRL player though, I mostly plays on YGOPro-percy unranked, I like fighting varied and uncommon decks more than meta decks.
Soon

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 02:26:00 AM »
I'm a big fan of yu-gi-oh! on simulators, with a few decks IRL. My current deck is a Prediction Princess mill deck, because I love how tarotray can abuse flip effects, especially the MVP of the deck : Needle Worm.
That's just pure evil.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 02:58:10 AM »
That's just pure evil.
You wouldn't want to fight one of my friends who had literally over a hundred working-to-various degrees decks.

One of them was a mill deck, and Needle Worm was much, much worse in his hands.

>has a couple, let's say 2, Needle Worms facedown
>flips em up, -10 cards right there.
>plays Book of Eclipse

Let's not get into how he also commonly had Gravekeeper's Servant on the field.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:00:45 AM by Jq1790 »
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 07:16:30 AM »
One time, I played against my roommate and he pulled out Cactus Fighter with All Out Attacks. Annoying, but funny.

Dahel

• Preparing myself for an incoming failure...
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 07:39:15 AM »
4 words : Jam Breeding Machine Beatdown
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:40:48 AM by Dahel »
Soon

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 08:25:22 AM »
You wouldn't want to fight one of my friends who had literally over a hundred working-to-various degrees decks.

One of them was a mill deck, and Needle Worm was much, much worse in his hands.

>has a couple, let's say 2, Needle Worms facedown
>flips em up, -10 cards right there.
>plays Book of Eclipse

Let's not get into how he also commonly had Gravekeeper's Servant on the field.
Hello.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 09:07:04 AM »
Oh hey I just realized your avatar's a Yugioh reference  :V :V :V

How do other card games measure up in terms of versatility with OTK decks, or is this more of Yugioh's silliness?

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 12:45:20 PM »
Hello.
Ah, we had stopped well before those came into being.  I believe we stopped playing together before XYZ even, or only a little after they came out.  I imagine the game has gotten absolutely riduculous by now.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 03:11:03 PM »
How do other card games measure up in terms of versatility with OTK decks, or is this more of Yugioh's silliness?
One-turn kills seem to be specifically YGO's thing; Pokemon needs a few turns for a round to get underway, and MtG is currently balanced to try and prevent wins before turn 3-4. Don't know how it works in Vanguard or WeissSchwarz.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 03:15:54 PM »
Pokemon needs a few turns for a round to get underway
Except Big Fan Shiftry.

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 05:48:37 PM »
Don't know how it works in Vanguard or WeissSchwarz.
It never happens, it's just not possible to do enough damage on the first turns, and there are ways to prevent it anyway.

Ah, we had stopped well before those came into being.  I believe we stopped playing together before XYZ even, or only a little after they came out.  I imagine the game has gotten absolutely riduculous by now.
Basically, everything is broken, and some things are more broken than others.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 06:33:50 PM »
Weiss Schwarz games tend to last long enough for you to cycle through every card in your deck. Twice. Although sometimes bad luck will spell an early end.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 11:12:11 PM »
Roommate and I just semi-accidentally bought an entire box of the new Weiss Schwarz Madoka set between the two of us. I had some store credit so I bought a couple packs, then he bought a couple to trade me for something I pulled, then I bought a couple more, and we went through the whole box. Nothing spectacular, but we got a handful of RRs and an SR. The production quality is consistent with most other sets, as opposed to the first Madoka set which was stingy with (or possibly completely devoid of?) foils. And wow, packs are SO EXPENSIVE at stores. If I hadn't paid for all of mine with credit I couldn't have justified buying them, even though I like the store and don't usually mind paying a premium to support them.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 12:23:45 AM »
Weiss Schwarz you don't buy packs, you buy  by the boxes :V
Especially since you need 4 boxes just for a complete set of climaxes and most common

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 12:46:14 AM »
Yeah, I think these were the first packs either of us ever bought that weren't from sealed boxes. And even those were mostly token purchases, I bought a lot of singles because most cards go for like ten cents.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think I've spent a penny on this game to date. I'm pretty sure every card I've ever bought was paid for with another card. 

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 03:56:31 AM »
Did a sealed prerelease tournament for the new MtG set today, and I really like what's in it so far. Lots of interesting cards and plenty of fun ways to put them together, looking forward to seeing how this stuff interacts with the larger metagame once it's out in full.

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 02:00:38 PM »
D-does anyone play Fire Emblem Cipher here?

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 05:24:54 PM »
I played in a Magic: Battle For Zendikar sealed yesterday and it was... Crazyballs. I don't really care about this set, I just want a few copies of each Blighted land and a few copies of Greenwarden Of Murasa, but my roommate likes it a lot and had to work, so he paid for me to play.

Right out of the box I opened the prerelease Ulamog. So that alone was basically his money back. First pack, pulled an expedition (Blood Crypt). Next couple packs pulled some junk rares and two multilands, then last pack I pulled a second expedition (Breeding Pool). I genuinely did not know that was possible. Out of 18 players those were the only expeditions pulled, and I got both.

I did okay in the event. Placed just above half, got two more packs containing a third multiland. I made a kind of dumb blue/green mana ramp deck to try to play with the Ulamog I opened, but it only worked once for the whole event in a game I was winning anyway. Should have played blue/black, but I don't care, my pulls were incredible so if I had done much better it would have just been mean. Too bad I don't get to sell the cards myself, but I know roommate is buying a PS4 with the money from them, so that means I don't have to buy it when Persona 5 comes out.

As for the actual set itself, I don't understand it at all. Much of the metagame seems to be "did you pull a couple of the allies that make allies actually matter?", but beyond that I can't figure out the archetypes. Ramp isn't really a thing, but maybe it's supposed to cap out at seven drops or something. Converge makes no sense to me in sealed, since there doesn't seem to be much support for it. This is a weird, weird set, but then again I didn't really understand Khans until someone explained it to me in context of the whole block like a year later.

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 07:38:36 PM »
As for the actual set itself, I don't understand it at all. Much of the metagame seems to be "did you pull a couple of the allies that make allies actually matter?", but beyond that I can't figure out the archetypes. Ramp isn't really a thing, but maybe it's supposed to cap out at seven drops or something. Converge makes no sense to me in sealed, since there doesn't seem to be much support for it. This is a weird, weird set, but then again I didn't really understand Khans until someone explained it to me in context of the whole block like a year later.
Allies seem to be split into multiple archetypes, focusing mainly on black/white lifegain and red/white Rally effects. Landfall is in all colors, but it's strongest in red/green aggro decks where you have tools to put multiple lands on the field in one turn. I can see what looks like black/green growth archetype where sacrificing a creature gets several bonuses at once. Even the Eldrazi seem to be split into archetypes, with green Scion ramp, blue evasion, red aggro, and black forced discards.

This looks to be a fun format for sealed/draft because while Allies are designed to work with each other and Eldrazi are designed to work with each other, there isn't really much stopping you playing the two together, which is where you get some really wild and bizarre synergies.

Addendum: While a lot of the mechanics like Awaken and Rally seemed to be centered on two-color pairs, they're spread out enough that with enough dual color lands or something like Beastcaller Shaman/Lifespring Druid for mana fixing you can get some interesting three-color builds like BRG landfall, WBR allies, or WUB Awaken control.

Also, congrats on pulling two Expeditions AND promo Ulamog, that's hitting the jackpot right there.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:17:52 AM by Tokiko, Ancillary Character »

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015, 11:40:16 PM »
I played in a Magic: Battle For Zendikar sealed yesterday and it was... Crazyballs. I don't really care about this set, I just want a few copies of each Blighted land and a few copies of Greenwarden Of Murasa, but my roommate likes it a lot and had to work, so he paid for me to play.

Right out of the box I opened the prerelease Ulamog. So that alone was basically his money back. First pack, pulled an expedition (Blood Crypt). Next couple packs pulled some junk rares and two multilands, then last pack I pulled a second expedition (Breeding Pool). I genuinely did not know that was possible. Out of 18 players those were the only expeditions pulled, and I got both.

I did okay in the event. Placed just above half, got two more packs containing a third multiland. I made a kind of dumb blue/green mana ramp deck to try to play with the Ulamog I opened, but it only worked once for the whole event in a game I was winning anyway. Should have played blue/black, but I don't care, my pulls were incredible so if I had done much better it would have just been mean. Too bad I don't get to sell the cards myself, but I know roommate is buying a PS4 with the money from them, so that means I don't have to buy it when Persona 5 comes out.

Good job (fuck youj, salty :(). My shop had 4 Expeditions in 180 kits.
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 04:27:04 AM »
Re: Magic

Played in an Oath Of The Gatewatch sealed earlier. It wasn't two-headed giant like I was hoping, but oh well. I placed first which was unexpected. Played white/red because I opened so much removal in those colors that I couldn't even play all of it, supplemented by a balanced spread of kind-of-shitty creatures. I don't know if my deck was good or I got lucky, but I never really tripped over or choked on my mana base for the entire event. I only lost a single game out of four rounds, and that was due to a huge misplay on my part (although my opponent had an equally big misplay earlier, so I guess it evened out). I didn't pull anything incredible, but I opened a couple of moderately-valued mythics, so whatever. I was really hoping to get a bunch of Bonds Of Mortality because it's so heroic in Commander, but I didn't pull a single one out of the 18 packs total I opened. I traded for a foil one, but I still need three more at least.

I mentioned before that I didn't understand Battle For Zendikar. I couldn't wrap my head around the themes or archetypes. Oath Of The Gatewatch was completely different. It didn't help re-contextualize BfZ in a way I could understand like Dragons Of Tarkir did for Khans, but as a freestanding thing I found it to be intuitive and interesting. I had option paralysis three different times where I found myself on turn three with three land in play and a hand containing Endless One, Lantern Of Insight, and Wall Of Resurgence. Even with no other cards to consider there are so many possible plays there it's amazing. I did something different each time, and it worked out each time. The choices felt interesting and relevant, the environment felt fast-paced and balanced, and overall it was just a very pleasant experience (and not just because I won, although that did help). Almost wish I had played earlier in the weekend so I could squeeze in a second sealed after how much fun I had at this one.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 12:31:59 PM »
I'm in the process of learning both MtG and Force of Will. Not really sure where to start on either of them, they're both so complex. I kind of want to lean toward Force of Will since it's newer and thus less catch-up for me to have to do (20+ years of MtG is a lot of info to learn), but I don't want to invest in a game that no one plays, you know?

What should I do?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 01:05:16 PM »
I don't play Force Of Will or know anyone who does, so I say learn Magic personally.

Any of the recent Magic video games are probably a good place to start. They're a little simpler than normal Magic because they don't give you all of the cards to play with, but the ruleset they use is 100% genuine Magic so they're a good place to learn.

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 03:41:01 PM »
I'm in the process of learning both MtG and Force of Will. Not really sure where to start on either of them, they're both so complex. I kind of want to lean toward Force of Will since it's newer and thus less catch-up for me to have to do (20+ years of MtG is a lot of info to learn), but I don't want to invest in a game that no one plays, you know?

What should I do?
Seconding Duels on Steam as a jumping-on point; it does a good job of slowly introducing the rules to you. Also, don't worry about having to learn 20+ years worth of cards and mechanics; the commonly played formats limit it to far less (usually only about the most recent year and a half).

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 04:15:11 PM »
Hmm. All right, I may fire it up tonight.

It's funny really. At the card store, the employee who taught me gave me some free starter decks and he used a white deck and l picked a blue one. I ended up winning because while his deck revolved around healing and attacking, mine was purely defensive and attacked by forcing discarding. He almost beat without me doing a single point of damage, but I exhausted his deck and won. It was pretty funny.

Do all the colors have different specialties/play styles? I've only seen white and blue in action and it seems that blue seems to focus in deck fuckery and defensive crowd control and it's pretty fun.

Still wanna try Force of Will though, too. The game itself seems faster-paced and the cutesyness of the art style is an aesthetic selling point. The game itself seemed really complex though.