Author Topic: 30 Minute Anime -Now with a running list  (Read 6414 times)

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
30 Minute Anime -Now with a running list
« on: September 10, 2015, 07:17:07 AM »
So, my local anime club started back up and I love suggesting shows to watch. The problem is that people don't come consistently. To combat this I'd like to suggest we watch shorter <30 minute movies in one of our show blocks. I wanted to ask if anyone here knew of such shorter movies to watch.
I know a few so far, including Anime Mirai which produces 4 every year.

Running List:
30 min:
  • Cencoroll
  • Hoshi no Koe (Voices of a Distant Star)
  • Arata naru Sekai: World's/Start/Load/End
  • Kakurenbo
  • Kowarekake no Orgel
  • Little Witch Academia
  • Ryo
  • Arve Rezzle: Kikaijkake no Yousei-tachi
  • Death Billiards
  • Pale Cocoon
  • Tenbatsu Angel Rabbie☆
  • Taifuu no Noruda
  • Yuri Seijin Naoko-san
  • Plastic Nee-san
  • Anything from Anime Mirai
  • Tailenders
15 min
  • Gambo
  • Hi no Youjin
  • Tsukumo
  • Tsumiki no Ie
  • Parts of The Animatrix
  • Parts of Batman: Gotham Knight
Stand alone episodes
  • Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey): any episode
  • Mushishi: any episode
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:05:25 AM by Imosa »

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
Re: 30 minute anime
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 09:58:43 AM »
My friend circle frequently hosts viewing parties for anime, and we watch them Con Style, e.g. first four episodes back to back, no more, no less, only the first four. It gives the audience a taste of what the anime has to offer, and lets them explore the rest on their own time if they're interested enough.

Of course, that's assuming you have ~2 hours to spare with each meeting, but it works pretty well if you do.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:00:14 AM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 10:47:32 AM »
Yep, Anime Mirai. Death Billiards would be great if they haven't seen it since you'll have a lot to talk about once it's over. There's Cencoroll too.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 03:07:12 PM »
Plastic Nee-san.

Maybe the Puchi Eva series, but I don't know whether you can consider them anime.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 04:00:12 PM »
I forget, was 5cm per second a 30min movie?
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Imosa

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 07:06:15 PM »
I forget, was 5cm per second a 30min movie?
It is not. Its made of 3 separate parts and one of those may be 30 minutes long but I dunno if anyone watches the parts separately.

My friend circle frequently hosts viewing parties for anime, and we watch them Con Style, e.g. first four episodes back to back, no more, no less, only the first four. It gives the audience a taste of what the anime has to offer, and lets them explore the rest on their own time if they're interested enough.

Of course, that's assuming you have ~2 hours to spare with each meeting, but it works pretty well if you do.
Yeah, that might be cool. Our club chooses to watch the first episode of 4 anime. I'm not in a position to change the format.

Jq1790

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »
Ah, ok.  It's been years since I watched it so I forgot.  I know I rented some weird one once that I was really upset over it being only half an hour since I paid full rental price.  It had a bunch of timeskips or something and I think it involved someone waiting for a friend or lover to come back from some space mission or some such but I forget what it had been, ehe.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 08:27:18 PM »
Little Witch Academia.

There's also a second OVA that just came out but that's almost an hour long.

Imosa

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 09:22:37 PM »
Ah, ok.  It's been years since I watched it so I forgot.  I know I rented some weird one once that I was really upset over it being only half an hour since I paid full rental price.  It had a bunch of timeskips or something and I think it involved someone waiting for a friend or lover to come back from some space mission or some such but I forget what it had been, ehe.
Sounds like Voices of a Distant Star. That movie is so cool I'm gonna explain it to you. The whole gimmick with that movie is that there's a pair of middle school lovers and one of them goes into space, where the space ship can travel faster than the speed of light. Meanwhile she's sending messages to her lover but because the messages can only travel at the speed of light and the distance between the ship and earth is increasing by astronomical scales, each message takes subsequently longer to reach the guy on earth. The "time skips" happen when we jump back to earth to check out the guy as he's getting the messages, so months or years after they were sent.
The ending was amazing so I won't say what happened.

Jq1790

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 09:24:31 PM »
Sounds like Voices of a Distant Star. That movie is so cool I'm gonna explain it to you. The whole gimmick with that movie is that there's a pair of middle school lovers and one of them goes into space, where the space ship can travel faster than the speed of light. Meanwhile she's sending messages to her lover but because the messages can only travel at the speed of light and the distance between the ship and earth is increasing by astronomical scales, each message takes subsequently longer to reach the guy on earth. The "time skips" happen when we jump back to earth to check out the guy as he's getting the messages, so months or years after they were sent.
The ending was amazing so I won't say what happened.
Ah, that was it!  Thanks!

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 10:46:20 PM »
Voices of a Distant Star and 5cm per Second have the same director.

Cat Shit One is only one episode, because sadly they weren't able to make more

Imosa

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 05:08:17 AM »
Voices of a Distant Star and 5cm per Second have the same director.

Cat Shit One is only one episode, because sadly they weren't able to make more
Oh, I know my Makoto Shinkai pictures, don't worry.
Cat Shit One was previously shot down as not an anime. Lots of stuff from the Animatrix and Batman: Gotham Knight was also not accepted. Although, I suppose I could contest that stuff again.

Also, I guess I might as well put my running list in OP.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
Re: 30 Minute Anime -Now with a running list
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 02:33:44 PM »
Oh, I know my Makoto Shinkai pictures, don't worry.
Cat Shit One was previously shot down as not an anime. Lots of stuff from the Animatrix and Batman: Gotham Knight was also not accepted. Although, I suppose I could contest that stuff again.
What? Cat Shit One is totally an anime: it's a Japanese adaptation in Japanese of a Japanese manga.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 05:48:40 PM »
"Tsumiki no Ie" is about12 minutes, give that a try.

Imosa

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 12:03:32 AM »
OK, so... I discovered something which I'm really hyped about and don't wanna be because I fear its setting myself up for disappointment: Tailenders. Holy shit, its like Gurren Lagann and Redline had a head on collision. 
This is also another reminder that there are completely obscure one shots which look amazing but have no connection to anime at large. How would we even find projects like this? Also I remembered that Cencoroll2 is a thing... can't wait, trailer looks awesome.

What? Cat Shit One is totally an anime: it's a Japanese adaptation in Japanese of a Japanese manga.

*shrug*

"Tsumiki no Ie" is about12 minutes, give that a try.
It's on the list but I'd really need to watch it because it really doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would resonate in the club. Thanks for the suggestion. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:05:06 AM by Imosa »

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 10:51:14 PM »
Furiko (Pendulum) 3 minute story of life.
Memories is split into 3 stories, unfortunately the best one, Magnetic Rose is 45 minutes long.  The others are still decent though. 
Japan Animator Expo has a variety of interesting shorts.  Cat Soup is really surreal, may not be for everyone. 
Happy Machine from Genius Party is another surreal short.  Genius Party in general has a few interesting shorts.

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 04:26:39 AM »
This is pretty late, but why don't you just do a long movie, but just stop at parts that would leave the audience in suspense? I've personally haven't seen a lot of movies, but my favorite one is Up on Poppy Hill. It's a classic and the graphics are decent.

Maybe even consider asking your club members if they have a anime episode they would like to share for that meeting and then everyone can take turns? Perhaps bring snacks and have a discussion after a move/episode?