Author Topic: Spell Cards and fighting styles - Your interpretations  (Read 3482 times)

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
Spell Cards and fighting styles - Your interpretations
« on: August 28, 2015, 07:29:29 PM »
How do you picture fights between Touhou characters, their spell card patterns and their general fighting styles? Walls of bullets are all well and good for a shooter, but they don't make for the most exciting material if you ever want to tell a story or draw a picture. And what if the fight comes to close-quarters, and there's no material from a fighting game to go on? Some characters have well-established fanon in this area, like Mokou fighting with flaming kicks and using attacks that hurt herself... and then that actually became canon. Others don't seem to have any real consensus.

Touhou 3D Dogfight is a good example of what I'm looking for in this thread. Some attacks are depicted fairly literally, but there's all sorts of embellishments from the large (the fistfights and Utsuho's transforming control rod) to the small (the bullets flying inwards in Subterranean Sun are actually tiles being ripped from the wall by the sun's gravity). Basically, how would you depict a character if they appeared in a video like that?

Let's start with one of the newcomers, Junko:

Junko's basic projectiles take the form of thin but powerful beams which can originate from any point within a certain distance and fire in any direction (think invisible funnels). They're precise enough to shoot down enemy attacks, often so fast that it's hard to see, but she never fires more than one at once unless she's getting really desperate. She can also fire a stronger beam by pointing, Frieza-style. In melee she fights with movements similar to Wing Chun, avoiding any unnecessary or colorful motions, and swatting attacks aside or just leaning out of the way rather than changing her stance. However, she doesn't like getting into melee range, so she mostly focuses on defence and tries to put some distance between herself and her opponent rather than following up on her attacks.

Lilies of Murderous Intent takes the form of a small energy ball from her palm that explodes when it hits something, swirling and "blooming" into a sky-piercing pillar of light. If her opponent is dodging the blasts too easily, she'll start firing them from both hands at once or detonating them prematurely.
Primordial Divine Spirit World traps her opponent in an illusory maze drawn from her memories, where doors lead to strange places and everything's trying to kill you.
Overflowing Impurity causes darkness to flow up from the ground and snare an opponent, preventing them from dodging her other attacks.

I haven't got quite as much :wikipedia: for Hecatia, but one of her spell cards sends three moons flying around the screen. I like to interpret this as her enlarging her three "planet shackles" and using them as flails.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 12:33:24 AM by Prime32 »

Boomer

• Lifeless Energy
  • Attributes and weaknesses are the same.
Re: Spell Cards and fighting styles - Your interpretations
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 12:07:35 AM »
I will use Wriggle Nightbug for my example:

Seeing as her ability is control over insects, I like to think of the way that she fights as similar to that of Vespiquen from Pokemon or Hornetman from Megaman, being that they summon insects(or bees in their case) to perform most of their attacks.  Wriggle's fighting style, I would imagine to be based more on hindrance rather than full on aggressive; the more slow and painful type, if you will.  For example: she summons a swarm of insects as a means of distraction or weakening in order to hopefully get her opponent frustrated or less fit to battle, and thus leaving them open for extra punishment.  Furthermore, I could also see the way in which she fights as varying in how deadly her tactics can be depending on her mood, especially because she is known to be short tempered.

"Firefly Phenomenon" in game shows Wriggle being surrounded by a thick layer of danmaku.  I imagine this being somewhat of a mix betweens the moves "Defend Order" and "Attack Order" from Pokemon.  But also, her wide swarm of fireflies, as well as herself being a firefly could be utilized to create some blinding light as a means of easier evading and the expanding of options.
"Comet on Earth" I could see as being more trap based and limiting the opponent's options.
I just know what I know...

Shadow1176

• Garden of Death
  • Reaper
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 01:36:45 AM »
For most of the combat scenes that I write and envision, I interpret certain background stories and their abilities as material for their combat capability, while ignoring the spell card rules in terms of lethality and power restrictions. As for their spell cards, I like to think of them as just bullets and inherent techniques that they know and adapt to the Spell Card Rules.

An example is Sakuya with how I believe her to be a supreme melee fighter, skilled in handling knives as well as performing ranged attacks with them.

For Yaname, as an earth spider, I see her attacks as being well versed in traps and the slowing of hostile opponents, her spider instincts and skill with thread allowing for dexterous manipulation and movement. Not only could this be used in defensive tactics such as the slinging of projectiles and the protective thread of powerful spider silk, but its offensive capabilities mixed with her bullets could be something like poison laced Danmaku rounds, if they were lethal. Her illnesses manipulation in particular could be used to great effect used in saboteur operations.

I could actually just list how each character would be able to fight, but it that would take up a lot of space... So that's for another time.
That time, is breakfast time!
My Fanfiction Profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2752493/Shadow1176
My Deviantart Account: http://shadow1176.deviantart.com/

Tsuken Yasashi

• Student of War
  • Ready to start fightin' for real?
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 02:19:07 AM »
Hmmm... I know Youmu's fighting style is based off on Japanese Sword Techniques, most specifically handling a no-dachi katana, judging from her size and the sword's length.  She may be the best in Gensokyo and perhaps in the netherworld, but maybe far from the best compared to the outside world.

Meiling's is obviously based on Chinese Martial Arts, plus she can manipulate Ki to her will, as any skilled martial artist is capable of doing so.  Now, if only if she knew how to fire a Kamehameha wave....

Byakuren should know some Shaolin Martial Arts, seeing that she is a Buddhist monk.  Then again, maybe I'm profiling Buddhist Temples always having followers who studied martial arts, since that fact can probably be proven wrong...

Between Two Dimensions - Arc One Complete

"War is a grave affair of state; it is a place of life and death, a road to survival and extinction.  A matter to be pondered carefully..."  -Sun Tzu's Art of War

Tribow

• pichuun
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 04:47:24 AM »
Meiling's is obviously based on Chinese Martial Arts, plus she can manipulate Ki to her will, as any skilled martial artist is capable of doing so.  Now, if only if she knew how to fire a Kamehameha wave....

Based on all the stuff Meiling already does with Ki (qi? chi?) I bet she can.

oh look at that, new gifs
(I apologize if I made you constantly reload)

Drake

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 10:54:35 PM »
(ki is japanese and pronounced like "keep". qi (often spelled chi) is chinese and pronounced chi like "cheer", basically)

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 11:51:34 AM »
The only thing i wanna say about this is: How does Youmu and Sakuya fight people with knifes and blades without seriously harming people?

My headcanon: As part of the spell card rules, normally lethal weapons are to be enchanted so that they are basically magical beanbag rounds/rubber bullets, i guess yukari's train counts too.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 12:22:37 PM »
The only thing i wanna say about this is: How does Youmu and Sakuya fight people with knifes and blades without seriously harming people?

My headcanon: As part of the spell card rules, normally lethal weapons are to be enchanted so that they are basically magical beanbag rounds/rubber bullets, i guess yukari's train counts too.
Danmaku.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 02:05:28 PM »

There are also others things like Okuu not incinerating the opponents in an instant despite being nuclear-fusion-level heat, and WaHH shows how Reimu's 50cm needles actually pierce the opponents (and are "soaked" in the blood of youkai). Sakuya commenting how her knives couldn't pierce Tenshi means they would normally pierce the opponent if it wasn't Tenshi.
I have my theory on this, but we'd stray from the thread.

For the characters:
Rumia: her ranged attacks would be really strightforward.
Things like her Night Bird and Midnight Bird attacks would be "blades" of raw power, visually similar to Sakuya's Inscribed Red Soul/Soul Sculpture in SWR.
Lazors all the way, too. As Marisa says, lasers are the strongest.
Her physical fight would be not really refined. Mostly claw attacks and jumping at the enemy with youkai strength (not very effective against oni and vampires).

Yuugi: Almost only physical attacks. Other things would include her using her voice to annihilate the enemies by shouting, blowing a large amount of strong fire after drinking alcohol, or sending unexplainably super-hot air against them.

Flandre: I see her less likely than Remilia to go into an actual physical fight, prefering raw power and swinging that flaming sword. Some of her attacks would be like making explosions away from her. Her clone technique would be used to run aroud the enemy and confuse them, or attack them from various places at the same time (can sacrifice the copies so she can send them against physically strong characters while staying away).

Ran: Dunno why, but i always liked to imagine that she can summon various kind of melee weapons out of nowhere (or with a scroll, like that one from Naruto) and overwhelms the opponents with them, or can create barriers with amulets like Reimu. Her shikigami would be used similarly to Alice's dolls, but without the needing of controlling them herself, meaning she can command them and attack at the same time while using her physical prowess.
I'm also sure she can use the same disguising techniques as Mamizou and the other foxes shown in the print works.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:14:33 PM by PK »