Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating  (Read 196505 times)

Re: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating
« Reply #720 on: June 11, 2017, 05:45:57 AM »
A 3D printed gun is probably less practical to use than a real gun, but still far more dangerous than, say, an airsoft gun. I mean, it's a real gun that shoots real bullets, just a kind-of-crappy gun, compared to manufactured ones. Relatively shortly before ULiL came out, there was actually a big uproar over some guy in Japan being caught with a gun he made with his 3D printer, thereby bypassing all of Japan's gun control laws. He wasn't using it for anything more than shooting cans or whatever, but the idea that people could just make real guns in their own homes is sort of terrifying for a country without guns.

Obviously it's illegal to own a 3D printed gun in Japan, because no matter how you got it, it's still a gun. Sumireko is an outlaw. Practically speaking, 3D printers are really expensive so it's not really plausible for a high schooler to own one, but it's just a small part of the way ZUN is commenting on topical issues via Sumireko.

Edit: The way a 3D printer works is that you'd just download the design off the internet and print each individual part out of plastic. Then you'd have to assemble it yourself. Because it's made of plastic it's far less durable than a metal gun, and would probably break after a couple of shots. Of course you could then print replacement parts from the same design.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:49:56 AM by Clarste »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #721 on: June 11, 2017, 07:29:20 AM »
The way I hear it, most 3D-printed guns can't be used more than a couple times anyways. Which actually works kind of well with it being a "spellcard".

« Reply #722 on: June 11, 2017, 05:50:15 PM »
Sumireko's 3D printed gun is clearly based on the Liberator, which was designed and test-fired in 2013.
It is indeed just as dangerous as a "real" gun (and possibly more so as it tended to break down or explode after a few shots).
Sumireko having access to a 3D printer is very plausible. Having access to a 3D printer high-end enough to keep the gun from exploding immediately is much less likely. However, the real implausible bit is Sumireko having access to ammunition in Japan in the first place (I think).
Imo she probably cheats and uses her ESP instead.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:59:19 PM by shockdude »
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #723 on: June 11, 2017, 07:54:47 PM »
So something I've been wondering since Aya's new book came out is Kagerou. Her being a werewolf you could assume she's in the same boat as Keine only transforming on a full moon. But the picture used in Alternative facts shows her with her ears like in DDC.

It might just be coincidence that it's a full moon during the picture but with so little info it's hard to tell... I mean where does she even live?
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

« Reply #724 on: June 11, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »
3D guns aren't really something that I would feel comfortable around. I actually saw one blow up after someone just bought it, not the best thing to happen on a firing line. Guy was lucky that he was wearing safety glasses, but still got hurt pretty bad. It was partly his fault since I heard him telling someone that the lower was started to warp, but he still shot it anyway in the hope that it would get forced straight. From my understanding, the budget gun makers in the United States are pushing polymer AR-15 lowers as the next best thing. At this point, I'm waiting for the lawsuit to hit them after something happens (like someone forces a lot of 5.56 NATO through it and melts it). Even though the AR-15 is called a plastic gun, the parts that are subject to high pressures and heat are still metal. And it goes without saying that polymer and heat don't mix. A properly designed and built metal/polymer gun is only a danger to what the muzzle's pointed at, if there are no other problems like a clogged barrel or the wrong ammo. A fully plastic gun might end up taking the user with it when they pull the trigger because of something being warped on the inside.

I agree with shockdude, Sumireko probably uses her ESP instead of live ammo.

Drake

« Reply #725 on: June 12, 2017, 01:57:10 AM »
So something I've been wondering since Aya's new book came out is Kagerou. Her being a werewolf you could assume she's in the same boat as Keine only transforming on a full moon. But the picture used in Alternative facts shows her with her ears like in DDC.
Well for one it is just guest art, so take it with a grain of salt to begin with. But as far as I recall she isn't implied to have a "human" form, just that she can transform into a wolf and she gets hairier, left to audience imagination. Also, if she hasn't been shown any other way, how do you expect a guest to draw them? Are they supposed to try to take the initiative to establish that design? I know I wouldn't dare.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:00:14 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #726 on: June 12, 2017, 04:54:00 AM »
Well for one it is just guest art, so take it with a grain of salt to begin with. But as far as I recall she isn't implied to have a "human" form, just that she can transform into a wolf and she gets hairier, left to audience imagination. Also, if she hasn't been shown any other way, how do you expect a guest to draw them? Are they supposed to try to take the initiative to establish that design? I know I wouldn't dare.

Ah good point! But hasn't it happened before though? But I'm guessing the designs of the fighting games and kosuzu are directed by ZUN then... I'm also not trying to impose anything, sorry if it seemed I was forcing something. I was just curious is all, sorry T^T

Drake

« Reply #727 on: June 12, 2017, 05:03:26 AM »
No, that's about right; it's expected that any new character is going to have a design done by ZUN first and then adapted by the artist, and the fighting games and the manga are going to be supervised a lot more than guest illustrations. I'm not ragging on you or anything, just saying that a guest illustrator probably isn't going take any huge creative liberties like that in the first place.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #728 on: June 12, 2017, 05:10:34 AM »
It would be a bit odd that the first time would be in that. If we see her in a human form it would be in like a main series like game or book I guess, oh well back to waiting~ 🙄

« Reply #729 on: June 12, 2017, 07:40:25 AM »
If anything her arms aren't hairy like her design in DDC, so we could say that she has "stages" of transformation?  Or perhaps she can just conceal her ears at will when it isn't a full moon.  Since the article is about Youkais playing a game amongst each other, it's only natural she'd take her "youkai form" (provided she could switch to and fro as I said) for an interview.   

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #730 on: June 12, 2017, 10:20:38 PM »
You could speculate that the difference between her and Keine is that while Keine's therianthropy is acquired (which Akyuu explicitly states), Kagerou was born a therianthrope (which could be backed by Akyuu mentioning that numerous hereditary therianthropes can completely assume an animal form (like Kagerou does in her spell cards), while acquired ones often retain their human shape when transforming) and thus she either can better control her transformation or always has some animal characteristcs on display.

Not that worth noting since it's very minor, but the little cameo that she had on the WaHH manga shows her with her ears while the moon is not full:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:10:17 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #731 on: June 12, 2017, 10:36:02 PM »
Hmm I never noticed she showed up there. Do you think thats why shes nervous about humans? That she always has some traits despite almost being human herself that she doesn't want to be judged by them? I'd love to know more about Kagerou someday!~

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• look at dat pose, look at dat face
  • GARDORABLE!
« Reply #732 on: June 16, 2017, 11:45:40 PM »
Actually i always wondering, on mangas, that little/minor stuff like cameo that might not affect the story much, were they added by the mangaka on a whim where the mangaka think it might seem appropriate? or ZUN directed/supervised every little detail? or mangaka ask ZUN approval and ZUN "ok"-ing them?

Like, Cirno's fairy friend who looks like Daiyousei, there's also Lily White/Black Selena.
I'm also troubled about the stove which also looks rather modern in Sunny's gang house (if i remember right, i did saw that thing there).

Drake

« Reply #733 on: June 17, 2017, 01:32:05 AM »
As a general rule, inclusions of characters are ZUN's doing while miscellaneous artistic details and interpretations are the artist's. ZUN is known to want a great deal of control over some very particular details, as if he were the one drawing it in the first place. Things like character expression, interactions, having atmosphere and designs that match the time of year, are among things important to him. In any case, people in the manga industry seem to think he's overly detailed in his scripts, which can stifle artist creativity. Meanwhile many other things just don't matter to him and the artists can do what they want, and personally I feel like these are generally going to be the aspects that are unimportant to understanding the story, characters, and setting. Especially guest art in artbooks etc he seems to have no particular care about which is probably why the art can be all over the place.

Cameos are perhaps unexpectedly important, as they tend to imply character interaction. Putting characters in generic extra situations like festival stalls also suggests which characters would do those things and what they might sell. Daiyousei is likely supposed to be Daiyousei, but Lily White is "Lily Black" and so her double appearance in SSiB is likely an error. My theory is that the direction here was ZUN telling Eda that the page should be something like "have every character in the room chatting in ways that make sense" but because the Black outfit was turned around he didn't see it under supervision. The supervision of SSiB's art is already pretty questionable.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 01:33:52 AM by Drake »

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #734 on: June 17, 2017, 02:04:20 AM »
I'm also troubled about the stove which also looks rather modern in Sunny's gang house (if i remember right, i did saw that thing there).

That, and Alice having an obviously modern carton of milk (which even has a barcode on it) to make tea with, as well as Reimu and Marisa imagining a modern electronic megaphone and ICBM at the radio tower chapter (as discussed in my "Gensokyo's technological cultures?" topic), makes me wonder if it was Hirasaka Makoto's personal headcanon of Gensokyo being an underdeveloped countryside instead of the semi-medieval society it canonically is. (The former ain't my headcanon, BTW)

but Lily White is "Lily Black" and so her double appearance in SSiB is likely an error. My theory is that the direction here was ZUN telling Eda that the page should be something like "have every character in the room chatting in ways that make sense" but because the Black outfit was turned around he didn't see it under supervision. The supervision of SSiB's art is already pretty questionable.

Don't forget that Aki Eda's other mistakes include Chen being adult-sized (she's a canon loli), Toyohime's Weapon of Mass Purification being a fan (ZUN wanted it to look like an actual gun), and the Lunar Capital having a medieval Japanese appearance (ZUN wanted it to be a futuristic sci-fi-esque city, though I might be wrong on this one).
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Drake

« Reply #735 on: June 17, 2017, 02:30:01 AM »
Reimu and Marisa imagining a modern electronic megaphone and ICBM at the radio tower chapter
You aren't remembering those details correctly. They imagine the tower as a nondescript rocket kind of weapon, but literally just the tower flying like a rocket; the "modern megaphone" was also not modern at all but basically just a cone you speak through like the plastic ones you'd find at a dollar store.

Don't forget that Aki Eda's other mistakes include Chen being adult-sized (she's a canon loli), Toyohime's Weapon of Mass Purification being a fan (ZUN wanted it to look like an actual gun), and the Lunar Capital having a medieval Japanese appearance (ZUN wanted it to be a futuristic sci-fi-esque city, though I might be wrong on this one).
Chen being adult-sized isn't all that important, and the fan thing has no evidence. The Lunar Capital is supposed to be Chinese in design and have an aged aesthetic, but in utility everything is advanced. This is detailed more in CiLR; it follows a motif of wabi-sabi, where the Lunarians having such advanced technology means they can afford to have that aesthetic by choice.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #736 on: June 17, 2017, 02:26:19 PM »
Does Marisa have bad relationship with her family, at least her father?  I remember reading about that...

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #737 on: June 17, 2017, 06:47:59 PM »
Toyohime's Weapon of Mass Purification being a fan (ZUN wanted it to look like an actual gun),
You sure? I remember he only said the description of the weapon was vague, but nothing regarding a gun.

« Reply #738 on: June 17, 2017, 06:52:05 PM »
Does Marisa have bad relationship with her family, at least her father?  I remember reading about that...

We don't know for sure. Akyuu theorized that Marisa ran away from home because they didn't deal with magical items. Also, when she and Rinnosuke talked about her home, she said " i'm not coming back to that place " or something like that.

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• GARDORABLE!
« Reply #739 on: June 17, 2017, 09:46:32 PM »
We don't know for sure. Akyuu theorized that Marisa ran away from home because they didn't deal with magical items. Also, when she and Rinnosuke talked about her home, she said " i'm not coming back to that place " or something like that.
You know, she saying that in suggestive tone, like, "this gonna be my house, i'm not going back to my parents", well done gal *wink*wink*wink*.
But they aren't even living together?
Because they aren't married yet, fools

just kidding, sorry i can't hold myself i just eat so i don't think much

Serious now, talking about Rinnosukokek, i think i never read about this anywhere but i'm assuming Keinen stopped aging physically normally after since she acquired bull-ification therianthropy, is she? execuses avoiding junking off-topic so mods don't lash at me

Drake

« Reply #740 on: June 17, 2017, 11:08:15 PM »
The way she talks about her father in CoLA pretty obviously suggests there are issues there.

« Reply #741 on: June 24, 2017, 05:33:24 PM »
Why does Sagume has only 1 wing? Iirc, she's based on Ame-no-Sagume but I can't find much information about her. Can someone enlighten me?

« Reply #742 on: June 25, 2017, 06:20:01 AM »
In which it's said that she's capable of "firing bullet from another dimension". Do you guy think it's literally a bullet dimension, made out of the remnant of fired danmaku, or it's just her shooting bullet with extra dimension step, which, after firing, she open a portal? If so, could she be invincible in it if we follow her there or not? So many question...

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• GARDORABLE!
« Reply #743 on: June 25, 2017, 08:41:23 AM »
In Wiki I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be from official profiles, i also think it's kinda not easy to grasp, probably inaccurate translation? i'm sorry if my suspicion are wrong.
or probably just the rabbit official profiles that are inaccurate or lazily ambiguous.... (i'm not blaming ZUNsan-kun, don't beat me)

But "dimension" might be not really smoething like different realm or parallel world, but if it's really that, it's sure is flashy and sounds cool as f*** for freakin mere stage 1.
Or maybe it's related to her 3 sizes BWH "sekseh body dimension" woot! no i mean width height length of the bullets. <- main reason making this post
or by the comment of her spell card, it's dimension as in angle?

6th game stage 1 boss also has power of darkness which sound attractive for chuuni-kin (lol)

« Reply #744 on: June 25, 2017, 10:31:01 AM »
Nah, even japanese fanwork adopt the "another dimension" angle in a form of portal, so the translation's probably right.

Drake

« Reply #745 on: June 25, 2017, 10:38:20 AM »
I mean you literally see the portals open in-game...

« Reply #746 on: June 25, 2017, 11:28:17 AM »
I always thought that "dimensions" in this case was taken a bit more literally, as in ZUN tried making her distinct triangle-clusters-aimed-at-you seem kinda 3D. 

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #747 on: June 25, 2017, 02:18:02 PM »
This question also should have gone in the Miscellaneous Questions thread.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• GARDORABLE!
« Reply #748 on: June 25, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »
Yeah i meant to say that in my original post but somehow forgot.
But bodey dimension manipulation would hot, portal just boring sounds like extra boss mundane ability.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #749 on: June 25, 2017, 11:30:31 PM »
Why does Sagume has only 1 wing? Iirc, she's based on Ame-no-Sagume but I can't find much information about her. Can someone enlighten me?

It may be because Ame-no-Sagume is merely a vassal-god; to reflect standing.

The other reason could be perhaps to do with the story; where Ame-no-Sagume urges Ame-wa-kahiko [Superior] to shoot a pheasant [That itself was a messenger sent by gods to test Kahiko; Nakime]. Perhaps the one wing reflects that the arrow hit the pheasant and perhaps damaged a wing in doing so?

That's about the best I can find.

Also the arrow continued to heaven; was caught; and thrown back; killing Kahiko. Due to Sagume's words and urgeing. Probably why Sagume has her ability and personality of being careful with her words.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:34:26 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.