Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating  (Read 196509 times)

Re: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating
« Reply #480 on: August 04, 2016, 05:12:59 PM »
Mokou dies repeatedly during a spellcard duel.

Hope ♦ Metal

• Royal Flares Can't Melt Steel Beams
  • Donald Trump will make waifus real
« Reply #481 on: August 09, 2016, 01:01:56 PM »
It's probably one of those unanswerable questions, like asking why the humans (except Akyuu) don't age normally.
We'll never know for sure, but i think the "magic that prevents deadly injuries" option is the one making more sense.
It could even explain why they need to actually use paper cards to declare attacks: it's the magic in the spell cards themsleves that makes it non-lethal, somehow.
ZUN once said death can still happen in SC duels, though.
You could get stabbed by knives flying at you or melt from the heat of a freaking sun. Clearly there has to be something making these things not deadly otherwise Reimu should have died several times by now. (Even though it probably wouldn't even make a difference) Maybe everyone is made of titanium or something. That would explain how Patchouli doesn't die from getting crushed by a giant Suika in the fighting games. (Or getting punched in the face by Tenshi or Remillia or anyone else that lifts)

« Reply #482 on: August 14, 2016, 07:49:30 PM »
Why do people in gensokyo even like Reimu? Aside from HS, it seems that Reimu is always grumpy and spends most of her time just being a total asshat to everyone and everything. And yet, everyone LOVES her, except for Kasen, why?
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #483 on: August 14, 2016, 09:31:25 PM »
Reimu just being a complete asshole?  I don't think that's accurate.  Like many other Touhou characters, her duty is paramount to her.  In this case, her only function is to resolve incidents and defeat youkai.  So yeah, she's gonna run around beating up people, and she's going to be tired of their shit.
But the duty is not all there is to her.  We've seen her other face a million times: at the end of games, with the fairies and Kosuzu, and even through Miko's power.  Reimu is someone who will accept absolutely anyone, who values her friends, and who wants peace more than anything.  She can't admit any of this at all, even to herself, because it is in direct opposition to her duty as the incident resolver.  But it's there, and Marisa calls her on it multiple times.
Reimu's neglect of being a proper shrine maiden is the main beef people like Kasen, Rinnosuke, and Keine have with her.  To me, it's simply because it's completely irrelevant to who she is, other than the flavor of her powers.
The greed though, that's just her being a typical Gensokyo jerk.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

« Reply #484 on: August 15, 2016, 04:31:40 AM »
Well, maybe not a complete asshole. But, while she can have her nice moments, those are really rare and outweighed by the bad. Take ALL of WaHH, for example. She's not just an asshole in that she doesn't keep her shrine in a good state, but also in every single way imaginable, like that chapter were she beat up poor Kosgasa just because she didn't want to pay for her needles.
There was the happy ending in the three fairies manga, but that was only after years of Reimu beating the hell out of them. And she only did that just so she could manipulate them into making her money. Seriously, she only does nice things for money, like when she brought Reisen 2 to Eirin and demanded a cash reward.

But the thing i'm hang up on is, why do people put up with her so much? Despite her continuing to beat innocent Youkai up (You can not justify all of her beatings as she doing her job, see that Bird Youkai who got beaten and then stolen from by reimu for no reason.) just for the sake of it, youkai always go to her parties, despite her being a huge jerkface. It makes her look like a mary sue.

To me, it's simply because it's completely irrelevant to who she is, other than the flavor of her powers.
The Hakurei Shrine is necessary for Gensokyo to survive, and its completely old and worn out. For all we know, Gensokyo's balance could be on the line because of this.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #485 on: August 15, 2016, 05:23:40 AM »
Reimu isn't particularly well liked. The majority of humans don't care about her. Youkai like her because youkai enjoy fighting, conflict and partying, all of which happens frequently around her shrine.

And beating up youkai is her job, regardless of what they're doing. Youkai are things that feed on conflict with humans. Keeping that alive is one of her duties, and though admittedly she can be overzealous about that, it is literally just because it's her job. As Miko noted at the end of SoPM, Reimu would prefer for Gensokyo to have a peace that required no violence. But that just isn't possible due to the very nature of the things that live there.

The Hakurei Shrine is necessary for Gensokyo to survive, and its completely old and worn out. For all we know, Gensokyo's balance could be on the line because of this.
The shrine itself is irrelevant. It gets destroyed numerous times during SWR, after all, and Reimu even thinks about making its destruction and reconstruction an annual thing in that same game.
Which, btw, means that the shrine really isn't old at all. Assuming SWR was really the last time it was destroyed, it's only more or less 9 years old.
And it's never really portrayed as being worn out, dunno where you took that from.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:30:22 AM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #486 on: August 15, 2016, 05:48:45 AM »
Oh, there's certainly a bit of the Sue in her.  Reimu's the Effortless Protagonist, after all.  But that position is manufactured by Gensokyo's metaphysics and the spell card rules.  And as I said, the whole purpose of her existence is to defeat youkai.  If a random youkai appears, you can probably guess what she's gonna do, even if her inner character doesn't like it.  Sometimes that makes her a hero, sometimes that makes her an asshole.
In my opinion, that neglected status of the shrine is actually vital.  Reimu's role in the balance is huge, since she's the one who "protects" the humans.  They can't have her distracted by actually having a god to serve or things like that.  Reimu being a shrine maiden is like Marisa's broomstick, she doesn't really need it, but it's something that gives her pride.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #487 on: August 15, 2016, 06:04:44 AM »
Why are people still using the term "Mary sue" in this here year of our lord 2k16

It has had no meaning other than "female character I don't like" for a long time now

Besides, Reimu doesn't even fit the classical definition
The narrative doesn't bend to her will, she constantly ends up as the butt of jokes, outside of incidents she hardly acomplishes what she sets out to do, etc
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 06:10:55 AM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #488 on: August 15, 2016, 07:04:07 AM »
Speaking of WaHH, remember that at one point (chapter 8? I don't remember anymore), Reimu straight up lectures Kasen that she has to treat youkai seriously because youkai need to be taken seriously as fearsome entities.

That goes into the real reason to like and respect Reimu. She knows what she's doing, and takes it as seriously as she needs to. Not to mention people (Or at least me) enjoys the idea of her being a war-weary veteran who has done this business over a dozen times now and really just wants everyone to get along, and gets disappointed when someone bright spark has to cause a problem.

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• look at dat pose, look at dat face
  • GARDORABLE!
« Reply #489 on: August 31, 2016, 07:05:04 AM »
If yukari open a portal gap in a person limb then move both the separated part then close the gap, would that sever the limb just like being cut physically?
Or the limb would stay intact as if the gap are just a projected hologram? assuming no object traversing the gap

Has it ever been done something like that? i havent explored all the material.

« Reply #490 on: August 31, 2016, 08:10:06 AM »
According to Perfect Memento in Strict Sense, Yukari's gaps can only be entered through by Yukari, but yet SSIB has her open gaps so that other people can go through them. Personally i presume its the later that is true, as while Heida isn't wrong about everything like 90% of the fanbase seems to think, its not too implausible to assume she just got the info wrong or Yukari lied to her. So i would say the answer is yes, she can cut peoples arm off with her gaps (she's creepy like that).

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #491 on: August 31, 2016, 08:54:30 AM »
"No one can follow her through the gaps" probably means you cannot do it unless she wants to, as in "she'd close it before you do it". And if you try, pray you aren't in the middle when she does it.

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #492 on: August 31, 2016, 06:54:40 PM »
Was there a source where ZUN speaks about the game making process, that he wants everything to fit together so that's why he always draws new character art every game? Maybe an interview or something?

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #493 on: August 31, 2016, 08:50:37 PM »
Was there a source where ZUN speaks about the game making process, that he wants everything to fit together so that's why he always draws new character art every game? Maybe an interview or something?
Regarding the "making everything fit together" thing, ZUN did mention that in the interview part of that Touhou coverage by NHK from last year. Likewise for the making of the games. Heck, questions pertaining to the develoment of the game tend to be asked in pretty much any interview with ZUN. So yeah, there you go. I can't say much about the relevance of the new character art, though.

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #494 on: September 06, 2016, 12:24:40 AM »
Not sure if this is the most proper thread, but it seems like the best thread to put this in to me  :derp:

Recently, I've been looking for Touhou plushes (because I like soft toys) and the prices for them are quite high. The FumoFumo plushes are around ~ $70 - $100 US. (And I haven't been successful in finding other brands).

Not sure why they're so expensive. If someone could fill me in on that, and maybe also tell me about a cheaper alternative, that would be great  :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 12:27:04 AM by Lollipop »
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #495 on: September 06, 2016, 01:41:48 AM »
Fumos are expensive because they had limited stock. Sometimes they get reprinted but that's still pretty rare. More recent ones are still available at retail price, but that's currently limited to Kourindo Marisa, Kourindo Sakuya, and maybe SWR Reisen.

There aren't any official alternatives at the moment though.

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #496 on: September 06, 2016, 01:57:49 AM »
Fumos are expensive because they had limited stock. Sometimes they get reprinted but that's still pretty rare. More recent ones are still available at retail price, but that's currently limited to Kourindo Marisa, Kourindo Sakuya, and maybe SWR Reisen.

There aren't any official alternatives at the moment though.

Where would a good place to buy them from be? (Excluding your service)
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #497 on: September 06, 2016, 03:13:44 AM »
Akiba-Hobby, just off the top of my head.

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
« Reply #498 on: September 20, 2016, 11:08:26 PM »
If Yoshika can eat anything, does that mean she can eat poisonous things with no ill effects?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #499 on: September 20, 2016, 11:47:47 PM »
Probably, she's a zombert after all, so less pesky biology to get in the way.

« Reply #500 on: September 21, 2016, 12:27:28 AM »
Of course she can eat poisonous things. It'd be weird if she couldn't, being undead and all. That doesn't even have anything to do with her ability, however that works.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #501 on: October 13, 2016, 03:18:21 AM »
Since Junko is a divine spirit, does that make her a ghost (spirit of the dead) or a phantom (naturally-existing spirit)?  Or is she something else entirely?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 03:48:55 PM by game2011 »

Drake

« Reply #502 on: October 13, 2016, 04:14:22 AM »
Neither really. Divine spirits are gods more than anything else; they were humans that are thought of as gods and worshiped after death. Kanako is also a divine spirit, being worshiped as a god based on a legend that was originally human. In Junko's case ZUN kind of used "divine spirit" as what's closest, since it's difficult to pinpoint exactly what she is. She's definitely the spirit of a human, but rather than being worshiped as a god, it's that her resentment overwhelmed her existence and her nature as a human was lost, leaving only the "kami" nature of her resentment. It's once again a small commentary on how her exact origin has been lost to stories of her.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #503 on: October 13, 2016, 05:52:15 AM »
So did she have to literally die to become one?

Drake

« Reply #504 on: October 13, 2016, 06:34:59 AM »
Well, considering the story is of her as a human, it would be assumed that she died at some point, but it isn't all that relevant since it's her story that outlives her. As to why she got super purification powers and didn't just become a vengeful spirit of sorts (which her story makes it seem like she should, almost) I can't really say.

« Reply #505 on: October 13, 2016, 10:53:14 AM »
Just thought of something a few days ago about Kaguya. If Kaguya's ability is the manipulation of eternity, would it be plausible that Kaguya can revive dead people and youkai? Also would Kaguya be able to make others immortal without the Hourai Elixer, just with her powers?
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

PapilLionesskort

• "Perfectly Immoral Moral Person"
  • Pretty much just lurking innocently
« Reply #506 on: October 13, 2016, 11:01:22 AM »
EDIT: I somehow posted the original reply in the wrong thread. Carry on.
Write or fight, same thing. You might as well come out swinging either way.<3 Just not too hard, as that's no fun.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #507 on: October 13, 2016, 11:28:08 AM »
Just thought of something a few days ago about Kaguya. If Kaguya's ability is the manipulation of eternity, would it be plausible that Kaguya can revive dead people and youkai? Also would Kaguya be able to make others immortal without the Hourai Elixer, just with her powers?
She can make things indestructible, but reviving something would be more like reversing time than manipulating eternity. She could make corpses eternally unrotting, though.
She could also make others immortal without the elixir, because they would stop changing in the first place. The elixir was only Kaguya being bored and curious, but it also serves as a device to give others (Mokou, Chang'e) immortality even if Kaguya isn't directly involved. And to tie Kaguya's whole story to actual mythology, where a immortality elixir was present.

Drake

« Reply #508 on: October 13, 2016, 12:11:43 PM »
Just thought of something a few days ago about Kaguya. If Kaguya's ability is the manipulation of eternity, would it be plausible that Kaguya can revive dead people and youkai?
No. It's always presented as "eternity" being the same as an "instant". There aren't really any connections between her ability and resurrection, outside of the obvious one being that the Hourai Elixir preserves the soul as-is forever.

Also would Kaguya be able to make others immortal without the Hourai Elixer, just with her powers?
Something like that isn't necessarily out of the question, but we don't have any instances of her ability being used in any kind of similar way. We know she can target objects, but the "eternity" experienced by Eientei to make it unchanging and making a soul eternal are kinda different things. Was everything in Eientei immortal by virtue of being under her power? Probably not?

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #509 on: October 13, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »
1. Not very likely.

2. Kaguya can recreate the environment of the Lunar Capital (where things don't age or decay), and was doing this to Eientei until the events of IN. She has also "enchanted" an udonge with this power to prevent it from blooming, but seems to believe that it will wear off as she herself becomes more impure.
So presumably "yes, but she needs to actively maintain their immortality, will eventually lose the power to do this, and can only prevent death from natural causes anyway". And it seems unlikely that she'd agree to do it in the first place, given that she already rejected that kind of life herself.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 02:21:45 PM by Prime32 »