Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating  (Read 196604 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating
« Reply #450 on: July 07, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »
No, I did not post this here by mistake.  This is probably a question that only those who dwell deep into the series's fanon will understand.

Old Maids Alliance is a fan term where the fandom groups together some of the more matured women in the series.  It's like a reverse of Team 9.  Consistent members include Yukari, Yuyuko, Byakuren, Eirin, and Kanako.  Yuuka, Shinki, and Mima are occasionally put into the group.  Basically, the group is for characters the fandom think are very mature and wise-looking and look like they are in their 30s.

EDIT: Did come across a couple of fan arts that include Junko in the group, but the fact still stands that it's uncommon to see her with the others.  Again, this is really only something that people who are familiar with all the fan stuff and memes of the series will understand.

Uh thanks for the explanation that only Troo Fanz will know what you're talking about, but I didn't just get here yesterday.

Your question is still unclear. Are you asking if any fans make such fanart of the Old Maids with Junko included? Or are you presuming no one does, and asking why? The former is probably answerable by searching, the latter doesn't seem like it can be answered without telepathy.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #451 on: July 07, 2016, 04:42:43 PM »
Uh thanks for the explanation that only Troo Fanz will know what you're talking about, but I didn't just get here yesterday.

Your question is still unclear. Are you asking if any fans make such fanart of the Old Maids with Junko included? Or are you presuming no one does, and asking why? The former is probably answerable by searching, the latter doesn't seem like it can be answered without telepathy.
Both, but like I said earlier, I finally came across a couple.

Drake

« Reply #452 on: July 07, 2016, 07:05:19 PM »
No, I did not post this here by mistake.  This is probably a question that only those who dwell deep into the series's fanon will understand.
lmao did you really say this

The BBAs aren't just the "more mature ladies", it's specifically making a joke at a stereotypical notion of old women and applying it to those characters. It's almost literally "granny". Seiga, Yuuka, Iku, Shinki, Mima, Komachi, and so on don't fall into this joke because they aren't played off as those kinds of characters; usually they're considered onee-san, lady next door, or at worst housewife or motherly, which is still some degrees off of the whole babaa joke. Even though Junko literally has had a kid, she still doesn't fall into the babaa stereotype as far most of the fandom has concluded.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #453 on: July 08, 2016, 03:05:24 AM »
lmao did you really say this

The BBAs aren't just the "more mature ladies", it's specifically making a joke at a stereotypical notion of old women and applying it to those characters. It's almost literally "granny". Seiga, Yuuka, Iku, Shinki, Mima, Komachi, and so on don't fall into this joke because they aren't played off as those kinds of characters; usually they're considered onee-san, lady next door, or at worst housewife or motherly, which is still some degrees off of the whole babaa joke. Even though Junko literally has had a kid, she still doesn't fall into the babaa stereotype as far most of the fandom has concluded.
Tengukami didn't get what I said, so it shows that it's not something everyone understands.

Some fan arts do include Yuuka, Shinki, and Mima in the group.  And I did come across a couple of BBA fan arts that include Junko.

Onion

• Classic era Marisa-like entity
  • Failing at Touhou since 2000-something
« Reply #454 on: July 08, 2016, 05:12:58 AM »
Change of pace!
What, exactly, does it mean to capture a spell card?
Please wait warmly. Girls are intentionally leaving this space blank.

Since everybody has these: 1CC PoDD ez, 1CC(?) EoSD ez, PD LoLK, something something HM ULiL

« Reply #455 on: July 08, 2016, 05:19:58 AM »
No body knows. Spell Cards in general are one of Gensokyo's greatest mystery.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
  • Just your neighborhood-friendly Yoshi!
« Reply #456 on: July 08, 2016, 07:39:51 AM »
I'm mostly convinced that "capturing a spellcard" is purely game jargon. Nowhere have I seen an official work ever refer to "capturing a spellcard."

So, I guess capturing a spellcard in the literal sense is to weaken the spellcard border to the point that it breaks before the allotted time passes (unless it's a time-out spellcard) without dying or using any spellcards (or other "bombs") of your own.
I suppose that in a more canonical sense, capturing a spellcard could be compared to how we say we "own" something upon performing exceptionally.

Of course, if anyone has a source where the characters do refer to capturing spellcards, the actual case could be different.
My perception of my work ethics.

Tengukami

« Reply #457 on: July 08, 2016, 09:04:53 AM »
Tengukami didn't get what I said, so it shows that it's not something everyone understands.

I understand the Old Maids running gag just fine; it was trying to find a coherent question in your post I was having trouble with. Jesus...

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Drake

« Reply #458 on: July 08, 2016, 09:29:16 AM »
TBH I don't know what was actually being asked either, I just disagree that Junko somehow "should" be labeled as a BBA character, as the fandom has largely settled on her not being one. This kind of thing is necessarily de facto, so if people don't depict her as such in derivative works then that's that.

Anyways, what I found funny was that anyone would talk about BBAs as though it's some hardcore obscure thing not just anyone would know, when it's really one of the most common fandom jokes surrounding those characters.

Tengukami

« Reply #459 on: July 08, 2016, 02:31:28 PM »
Anyways, what I found funny was that anyone would talk about BBAs as though it's some hardcore obscure thing not just anyone would know, when it's really one of the most common fandom jokes surrounding those characters.

Yeah exactly. Like being explained at about yukkuris or something.

Now I actually have a question! I'm re-reading CiLR, chapter by chapter, and fell upon this quote from Eirin:
I also had been the teacher of two princess sisters since they were very young - princesses other than Princess Kaguya, with whom I now live. The two princesses were my distant relatives. To put it in human terms, one was the wife of a grandnephew of mine, while the other was the wife of their son.

First of all, ew. Second of all, have these husbands appeared in or been mentioned again in other Touhou works? Could be my search skills are off, but I'm very curious to know if their existence has been demonstrated or implied elsewhere.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #460 on: July 08, 2016, 05:44:56 PM »
Now I actually have a question! I'm re-reading CiLR, chapter by chapter, and fell upon this quote from Eirin:
I also had been the teacher of two princess sisters since they were very young - princesses other than Princess Kaguya, with whom I now live. The two princesses were my distant relatives. To put it in human terms, one was the wife of a grandnephew of mine, while the other was the wife of their son.
First of all, ew. Second of all, have these husbands appeared in or been mentioned again in other Touhou works?
Basically, no.
I'm very curious to know if their existence has been demonstrated or implied elsewhere.
Basically, this.

« Reply #461 on: July 09, 2016, 06:45:32 AM »
Yeah, its a mythology joke about Omoikane, Tamayori, and Toyotama.

As for the BBA, while the simple answer is that Junko just doesn't act like an old lady, there's also the fact that the original BBA was based on a pun in their names. Yukari, Eirin, and Kanako all have the kanji 八 in their surnames (the 'ya' in Yakumo, Yagokoro, and Yasaka). They also happen to act older, and "old hag" can be written as  ババ, which you'll note looks awfully similar. There's obviously no hard and fast rule for this, and Byakuren became an honorary member at some point later on, but the point is just that it originated as a specific joke, not just an arbitrary collection of characters.

But yeah, Junko doesn't act like she's all that old. In fact, she seems somewhat childish and is often portrayed as such, despite explicitly being a mother.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 06:47:59 AM by Clarste »

« Reply #462 on: July 09, 2016, 06:53:31 AM »
First of all, ew.
Shinto Myth, and other Mythologys as well, often have a trend of Gods marring and having sex with their family members. It reflects the culture. Incest was common in feudal japan. And, well, the Lunarians are based off Shinto gods.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

« Reply #463 on: July 09, 2016, 07:10:32 AM »
In Catholic doctrine, God impregnated his own mother and fathered himself. Kinda sorta technically. It's that sort of joke about mythology.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #464 on: July 09, 2016, 10:23:50 AM »
Incest is pretty common in most creation myths, because there generally aren't all that many options.

Tengukami

« Reply #465 on: July 09, 2016, 11:22:48 AM »
I mean, yeah. There's a footnote right there in CiLR that explains the reference. Was more asking if the husbandos have appeared elsewhere in Touhou lore.

Am also aware of the existence of incest amongst deities the world over. Still squicks me out.

TableCloth

• Call of Loli: Waifu Warfare
« Reply #466 on: July 09, 2016, 12:45:35 PM »
Am also aware of the existence of incest amongst deities the world over. Still squicks me out.
My brain is fucked up enough to not feel disgusted.

Anyway, since ZUN does not release a new game this year, will we get a new one next year for sure? Or is there any chance that things will go south (is that how you westerner call it? I kinda forget ^^;) and we won't get our Touhou 16 next year?

I mostly just hope that the next Touhou will make up for the wreck that is DDC and LoLK
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: MoF, IN, SA, PCB
Lunatic 1cc: MoF, IN

Currently struggling against depression by writing a light novel. Also, stop talking about nazi. The fact that I have Swastika in my name makes me stressed whenever anyone brought up any topic related to nazi and neo-nazi (unless we're talking about history, then I'm up for it). No, I'm not a neo-nazi. Neither are my parents. F**k off.

« Reply #467 on: July 09, 2016, 01:29:38 PM »
I mean, yeah. There's a footnote right there in CiLR that explains the reference. Was more asking if the husbandos have appeared elsewhere in Touhou lore.

Pretty sure no. That's the only time they're mentioned.

Tengukami

« Reply #468 on: July 09, 2016, 03:01:10 PM »
Pretty sure no. That's the only time they're mentioned.

Thank you.

Suppose it's to be expected. Love the way he folds history and legends into Gensokyo.

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
  • Just your neighborhood-friendly Yoshi!
« Reply #469 on: July 09, 2016, 07:04:13 PM »
Anyway, since ZUN does not release a new game this year, will we get a new one next year for sure? Or is there any chance that things will go south (is that how you westerner call it? I kinda forget ^^;) and we won't get our Touhou 16 next year?

When it comes to game development, never expect anything by a certain time.
However, I can say that ZUN lately has been releasing main games on a two-year basis, so it is likely that Touhou 16 will be released around August 2017.
If he doesn't, it's still not really cause for concern. He used to release the games annually, so it wouldn't be the first time he increased production times.
That of course won't stop the majority of the fanbase from pulling a Seija...
My perception of my work ethics.

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #470 on: July 26, 2016, 11:12:46 AM »
Is there a way to see/or extract the ending dialogue in the official Touhou game without actually playing the game? I am going to use it to compare the translation with another wiki.

« Reply #471 on: July 26, 2016, 03:04:51 PM »
Is there a way to see/or extract the ending dialogue in the official Touhou game without actually playing the game? I am going to use it to compare the translation with another wiki.

The Touhou Patch Center should have all the dialog ripped straight from the game, including endings. In case you're unaware of this, the project was meant to create a self-updating patch that reads a wiki whenever it boots up, so it has all the dialog in multiple languages.

Tengukami

« Reply #472 on: July 26, 2016, 03:46:17 PM »
I have a friend in Japan right now, who has been tasked with buying a copy of LoLK for me, but he has been having trouble finding it. He says he has been to Akihabara and seen loads of console games, but no Touhou.

Where do you recommend he go, specifically, i.e., what shop or chain store should he visit? Honestly have no idea how it all works.

e: Disregard, he's got it sorted. Also thanks to Sect in IRC!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:21:24 PM by Tengukami »

MANoBadAssGar Jr.

• look at dat pose, look at dat face
  • GARDORABLE!
« Reply #473 on: August 02, 2016, 11:09:19 AM »
Are akyuu, kosuzu, & unshou would be able to use spell card ?

Does a normal(not marisa "normal") human needs to have certain talent in magic/mystical/supernatural to some extent to be able to utilize the spell card rule/system?
or it can be just your mediocre everyday average joe human who been living in the human village?

Regardless of the requirement, how do you make your spellcard?
just make a drawing of it, give name, and then just declare "unshou super special - unshou pellet fishies" and then just pew pew ? (<-half joking)

If you own made a goddess or youkai as a sax-slave allies can you borrow their power for your spellcard with their permission/oath/blackmailing regardless whether or not you are a shrine maiden(or guy-miko if that a thing) or shikigami master ?

Drake

« Reply #474 on: August 02, 2016, 11:42:05 AM »
There's no indication that Spell Cards are anything but a formality for the rules of the duel. What the Spell Card actually does is up to the user. That being said, it doesn't seem to be the case that just anyone can use "magic"-like danmaku, but many arbitrary physical objects also count as valid danmaku so the point seems to be more that you give meaning to whatever you're throwing. If you threw a dodgeball as though you were actually playing dodgeball (which you kind of are), that would count as danmaku. In that sense, maybe those characters could make Spell Cards for something, but considering they probably don't intend to duel in the first place it seems kind of pointless.

« Reply #475 on: August 02, 2016, 06:54:31 PM »
I don't think everyone can shoot magical bullets for no reason, but it doesn't seem to be something that's all that difficult to learn. You don't need to be a special person, you just need to invest the time in it.

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #476 on: August 04, 2016, 12:46:08 PM »
What causes danmaku or spell card battle to be non-lethal? Did the draft of spell card rule itself create a magical barrier that rendered all bullets non-lethal? Or all characters just happen to have 2 types of bullets: One is deadly for in case of emergency but the other one isn't.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 12:47:57 PM by Kageshirou »

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #477 on: August 04, 2016, 02:02:06 PM »
It's probably one of those unanswerable questions, like asking why the humans (except Akyuu) don't age normally.
We'll never know for sure, but i think the "magic that prevents deadly injuries" option is the one making more sense.
It could even explain why they need to actually use paper cards to declare attacks: it's the magic in the spell cards themsleves that makes it non-lethal, somehow.
ZUN once said death can still happen in SC duels, though.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #478 on: August 04, 2016, 02:25:19 PM »
ZUN once said death can still happen in SC duels, though.
Was it something along the lines of "death due to sheer pain" or something else entirely? I heard something like that before, but can't quite remember from where.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #479 on: August 04, 2016, 02:39:26 PM »
IIRC, it was literally "death can rarely still happen in SC duels". Was in an interview.