Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating  (Read 197921 times)

Re: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating
« Reply #420 on: June 13, 2016, 03:10:36 AM »
Well... I don't want to beat the topic into the ground but...
Nitori's an interesting case where people totally misread her personality, somehow.
My point is, at first people thought Nitori was a friend to humans and a generally nice girl, if a bit shy. Even though in hindsight we can say that's wrong, that was still the popular opinion for a while, and we thought the games showed us that.

Regardless of what the truth was, back then we thought the games pointed to Nitori being a good girl. Then when Akyuu contradicted that belief, we said "the games paint Nitori as a good girl, therefor Akyuu is wrong." That stance didn't change until HM came out and showed that Nitori is, in fact, not a nice girl at all.

I feel like I'm not explaining very well. I hope I'm getting my point across, though. I just feel like there's a double standard here because we're dealing with a PC98 work as opposed to a Windows work.

I guess I can't really say much about it, though. I can't exactly prove that more people accepted Nitori's "official" (wrong) personality over Akyuu's version back then. Maybe I just misunderstood what people thought back then.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

« Reply #421 on: June 13, 2016, 03:40:22 AM »
It's explicitly a double standard, because PC-98 is considered "less" canon by everyone up to and including ZUN. Whether or not it happened at all could be considered a matter of interpretation, but even PC-98 positivists will normally admit that it contains some bits that need to be ignored to make sense with the Windows setting.

There are other cases where Akyuu is clearly and intentionally wrong, but Alice's origins don't seem to be one of them and there's no reason to suspect that.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:42:41 AM by Clarste »

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #422 on: June 13, 2016, 06:28:03 AM »
Regardless of what the truth was, back then we thought the games pointed to Nitori being a good girl. Then when Akyuu contradicted that belief, we said "the games paint Nitori as a good girl, therefor Akyuu is wrong." That stance didn't change until HM came out and showed that Nitori is, in fact, not a nice girl at all.

Moral of the story: stop assuming that Akyuu is wrong unless there's an actual reason to. Wishful thinking isn't one.

I just feel like there's a double standard here because we're dealing with a PC98 work as opposed to a Windows work.

Taking a Windows-era source over PC-98 one takes precedence over everything else. There IS a strong divide between the two, and the latter can be safely ignored for canon matters.

« Reply #423 on: June 13, 2016, 03:14:22 PM »
Moral of the story: stop assuming that Akyuu is wrong unless there's an actual reason to. Wishful thinking isn't one.

...You've been really condescending this whole time, and I don't appreciate it.

That said I feel this topic has been safely beat into the ground, I think everyone understands my point even if they don't agree with it. I'll stop talking about it >_<
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.

« Reply #424 on: June 18, 2016, 01:49:34 AM »
Is there a list anyone on the internet of what urban myths each character has in ULIL? I've been searching for a while and i still can't find one.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

« Reply #425 on: June 18, 2016, 04:25:58 AM »
Reimu
神秘!結界の巫女
Mystery! The Shrine Maiden of Kekkai (Boundaries)
Name of Occult Phenomenon: "Gap Woman"
Gap woman is an urban legend already in existence in Edo era, which Yukari is partially based on, about a woman in red watching people through a gap.
Occult Special: "Gap of the Great Hakurei Boundary"

Marisa
恐怖!学校の魔法使い
Horror! The School Magician
Name of Occult Phenomenon: "Seven Mysteries of the School"
Occult Special: True Horrors of the School (rotates through different objects)

Kasen
脅威!願いを訊く仙人
Menance! The Hermit Who Listens to Wishes
Name of Occult Phenomenon: "Monkey's Paw"
Occult Special: "Inescapable Monkey's Paw" (keep pressing the button to extend the arm, can be controlled with up and down buttons)
Ichirin & Unzan:
Occult Name: Hasshaku-sama (The Eight-Foot Tall Lady)
A brute force character with an all-overwhelming companion, Unzan. That is her.
Whatever disadvantages she faces, she can blow them away with a punch.
This time, she has acquired a spell that unleashes the power of Hasshaku-sama, entrapping the opponent in a closed space of curses.

Hijiri:
Occult Name: Turbo Babaa (Turbo Granny)
A character specializing in melee and close-up techniques, as if hand-to-hand combat is itself a pillar of her faith.
Her chanting system has functioned as a handicap on her, requiring special attacks to be prepared beforehand.
But in this game, she may freely choose which special attack to use, as long as she has chanting charges remaining. In addition, by prolonging her chanting, multiple charges can be stored.
Her Occult Attack "Silver Skyway" allows her to gallop back-and-forth through the sky at will.

Futo:
Occult Name: Banchou Sarayashiki

A technical character that shoots plates as her danmaku, and utilizes the plates deployed on screen as media for certain special attacks.
Positioning is crucial to Feng Shui. That is why her footwork is among the fastest.
Her Occult Attack is "Okiku Uppercut", which is strengthened by the number of plates she has broken. When the number reaches nine, its true value becomes apparent.

Miko:
Occult Name: Red Mantle, Blue Mantle

A jack-of-all-trades character who excels at both melee and projectiles.
Yet this is only a facade concealing her true power.
When hit by her Occult Attack "Red or Blue, Which Do You Want", the opponent will be forced to choose between red and blue, with red enhancing her melee attacks, and blue enhancing her projectiles.
Striking the oppoent with these enhancements in effect, this is where she truly shines.

Nitori:
Occult Name: Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster

This time, even Nitori has been drawn into the ball ruckus. Without sparing another thought for business, she entered the arena with her Occult Ball-powered invention, the Nessie.
Once deployed, the Nessie acts as an independent turret that provides fire support. It is however a double-edged sword, as she would lose the Occult Ball when its energy runs out.
How to make the most of it is all up to her.

Koishi:
Occult Name: Ms. Merry's Phone Call

A character with a never-seen-before feature: her attacks are readied unconsciously, then released automatically.
Using the ability thoughtlessly will bring her own demise, yet when properly managed, her counterattacks can be triggered faster than one can react.
Her Occult Attack is "I'm Coming to You, Right Now". She makes a phone call to the opponent nearby; when it hits, she will teleport and attack the opponent from behind.
Every time she makes a call, her signal range is expanded, until the opponent has nowhere to run.

Mamizou:
Occult Name: M.I.B.

She can grab her obake-danuki underlings to throw at the opponent.
However, the obake-danuki will retreat if they get hit.
So she must fight with deliberate restrain on her underlings' excesses.
Her Occult Attack is "Alien Capsule". She can deploy capsules containing her underlings, ready for surprise attacks at any moment.

Kokoro:
Occult Name: Kuchisake-onna (Slit-mouthed Woman)

An emotionally unstable character who can switch her mood with special attacks, changing the properties of her projectiles and other attacks with dizzying frequency.
Her Occult Attack "Aesthetic Counterattack" is an all-purpose counter technique that retaliates all opponent attacks, useable only once each round.
After one successful use, it will be replaced by a projectile attack composed of a blade of spiritual qi.
Fujiwara no Mokou - Blaze! Human Inferno
Occult Name : "Spontaneous Human Combustion Phenomenon" (No explanation needed, I guess)

An immortal human that can manipulate fire. Melee-type character utilizing flames, clad all over her body.
With a light footwork, she fights on close combat without regards on her own body.
Her Occult attack is "Spontaneous Human Combustion".
Using it will start to kindle her body in blue flames. Increases attack power at the expense of reducing health. However, she also has several moves that will use up her health, so use her regeneration skill "Resurrection" as a follow-up for that.

Sukuna Shinmyoumaru - Fake! Inchling in Green
Occult Name : "Little Green Men" (Almost certianly Liliput or Leprechauns, but it may refer to Xiaoluren)

An inchling fighting with Needle swordsmanship and a mysterious mallet. Tiny, but she compensates with dynamic attacks and reach using her whole body. A combatant that circles around her opponent using flurry of attacks.
Her Occult attack is "The Little Green Men Tumbled".
Call upon green inchlings that will sneak and float over the opponent. When the opponent shows their back to them, they'll strike with ruthless attacks.
Shinmyoumaru's Occult Attack is called "The Little Green Men Tumbled" 「緑の小人さんが転んだ」.

It is based on a children's game, "Daruma ga koron da" ("the Daruma doll tumbled"), which is the Japanese equivalent of "Red light, green light". Daruma doll is the Japanese tumbling doll.

Similar to the game, the opponent will got attacked by the little green men if she has her back turned to them, something like that.

I don't have any nice quotes on Sumireko, but her occult phenomenon is ESP.

If there wasn't a list there is now XP

...They're also in each character's ULiL profile, so you can check there.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 04:29:13 AM by TresserT »

« Reply #426 on: June 18, 2016, 07:34:18 AM »
I don't have any nice quotes on Sumireko, but her occult phenomenon is ESP.

Are you sure about this? ESP seems more like something she just ?has, not something she gained through her occult balls. Her profile even calls her a ?genuine psychic?.

Kasens victory quote against Sumireko seems to imply her actual urban legend is something she hasn?t shown us. If we take Sumirekos victory quote against herself seriously, then her urban legend could be the doppelganger. If that were true that would explain how in Reimus final scenario
Spoiler:
after Sumireko is defeated, a shadowy clone of her appears with one final spellcard. The shadowy figure that appeared at the end of the demo/prologue scenario might even be the same urban legend clone.

« Reply #427 on: June 18, 2016, 07:55:09 AM »
Sumireko actually does have a Doppelganger though. I don't think it's an Urban Legend, it's just part of how she travels to Gensokyo.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #428 on: June 20, 2016, 07:10:48 PM »
Ok so there's this thing going around that's attracting some attention, some photographer named Charles Fr?ger recently starting collecting photos of Japanese cultural costumes for use in festivals/matsuris and whatever else shinto/mytho stuff, releasing them in a collection called Yokainoshima (land of youkai, go figure). There's quite a few youkai costumes in it as well.
This one costume caught my eye though: pic 1, pic 2
And I'm like, this kinda reminds me of doremy??
The caption, supposedly, that he put under it is: 富山県魚津市小川寺のビッチャル, and after briefly scanning around, noone in Japan knows what this youkai "bitcharu" is either, and the collection of this among other unique costumes and etc photos seem to be attracting some attention.

So I'm probably way off, but anyone know what this costume actually is from or is based off of? No references to anything called "bitcharu" I can find anywhere, so I don't even know if it's even supposed to be based on some actual youkai myth. If, however, on the small chance that ZUN did reference something as so absurdly obscure like this, that'd be pretty cool.

e: some relavent articles about Yokainoshima: 1, 2
(the latter link, national geographic, doesn't seem to want to work for me, but someone might have better luck)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:15:30 PM by Mуа »
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

« Reply #429 on: June 20, 2016, 07:34:02 PM »
Doremy is a baku. It says so in her official profile.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #430 on: June 24, 2016, 11:24:37 AM »
Are there any images/descriptions that show/describe the look of Hakugyokurou and Eientei? I looked at their respective pages on the wiki (Hakugyokurou, Eientei) but the images on those pages don't show very much. Have more detailed depictions ever been released?

« Reply #431 on: June 24, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »
Are there any images/descriptions that show/describe the look of Hakugyokurou and Eientei? I looked at their respective pages on the wiki (Hakugyokurou, Eientei) but the images on those pages don't show very much. Have more detailed depictions ever been released?

Yuyuko's home is a location for a scene in SSIB (and, IIRC, a fighting game stage).  It's very... normal traditional Japanese Pagoda, though.  (assuming my memory is right.  Been like, a decade I think?)

Same goes for Eientei (SSIB, Inaba of the Moon and Earth, CiLR, maybe briefly in some fighting game endings and possibly at the end of a Forbidden Scrollery chapter where Reisen sees Eirin. I forget)

My memory could be wrong, though I recall both locations to be kinda boring, really.

« Reply #432 on: June 24, 2016, 05:16:59 PM »
Ok so there's this thing going around that's attracting some attention, some photographer named Charles Fr?ger recently starting collecting photos of Japanese cultural costumes for use in festivals/matsuris and whatever else shinto/mytho stuff, releasing them in a collection called Yokainoshima (land of youkai, go figure). There's quite a few youkai costumes in it as well.
This one costume caught my eye though: pic 1, pic 2
And I'm like, this kinda reminds me of doremy??
The caption, supposedly, that he put under it is: 富山県魚津市小川寺のビッチャル, and after briefly scanning around, noone in Japan knows what this youkai "bitcharu" is either, and the collection of this among other unique costumes and etc photos seem to be attracting some attention.

So I'm probably way off, but anyone know what this costume actually is from or is based off of? No references to anything called "bitcharu" I can find anywhere, so I don't even know if it's even supposed to be based on some actual youkai myth. If, however, on the small chance that ZUN did reference something as so absurdly obscure like this, that'd be pretty cool.

e: some relavent articles about Yokainoshima: 1, 2
(the latter link, national geographic, doesn't seem to want to work for me, but someone might have better luck)

Did some really deep digging. The costumes are apparently from the lion dance at Ogawa-ji (in Uozu, Toyama) and are called baba-men (ばば面) (source). Apparently in the Houryaku Era (c. 1751~1763) there existed some heroes named Moriki San'emon (森木三右ヱ門) and Joudo Rokubee (十王堂六兵衛), and the costumes are based off of them (source). I can't find anything else on them so it seems like they're local (and maybe even specific to the lion dance only). I have no idea why they were labeled as biccharu, though.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #433 on: June 24, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
Wow, good job, and thank you! I'm not at all surprised that I was way off. Nor am I surprised that this 'biccharu' name he derived from somewhere was completely off, which was what sparked my curiosity in the first place.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #434 on: June 26, 2016, 02:33:34 AM »
Someone said Sumireko's urban legend is supposed to be about end of the world prophecies.  Her Last Word does look like the world is being destroyed by a giant laser beam.  Explains why her moves involve falling architectures as well.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 02:35:10 AM by game2011 »

Mr Jovial

« Reply #435 on: June 26, 2016, 09:40:27 AM »
blah blah blah are there depictions of Hakugyokurou and Eientei
So I looked at the PMiSS page about Hakugyokurou and thought one of the translations on the page might be a bit off.
Original text:
建物の中は一般には公開していない為、詳細は判らないが、本殿は枯山水の中庭を囲むようにコの字型になっていると言う。
Translation given:
As the inside of the building is generally not open to the public, not much is known about it, but it's said that the inner sanctuary is surrounded by a large, U-shaped rock garden.
Could someone check if it's actually the garden that is U shaped? Looking at various official images, including the one on the PMiSS page, it seems more likely that the building is U shaped. I also threw it into Google translate which agreed with me though I'm skeptical about blindly believing that.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #436 on: June 26, 2016, 10:12:30 AM »
Could someone check if it's actually the garden that is U shaped? Looking at various official images, including the one on the PMiSS page, it seems more likely that the building is U shaped. I also threw it into Google translate which agreed with me though I'm skeptical about blindly believing that.
You're correct, it's the 'inner sanctuary' that surrounds the rock garden in a U-shape, as, I think, is commonly depicted

Drake

« Reply #437 on: June 26, 2016, 10:16:04 AM »
it's literally in the picture

Also worth noting is that "rock garden" isn't a very memorable description. It's basically a traditional zen garden, which is probably more evocative for most people.

EDIT: fixinated
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 10:30:27 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Mr Jovial

« Reply #438 on: June 26, 2016, 02:25:06 PM »
Thanks both of you C:
it's literally in the picture
I was a bit confused by this image and this image which could mean that the building wasn't U shaped. From what I understand though, it's just a rather short U and the second image is one of the ends of the U rather than in the middle like all the others.

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
« Reply #439 on: June 29, 2016, 11:36:32 AM »
Is there a Touhou fangame inspired by Star Fox?

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #440 on: June 29, 2016, 01:56:08 PM »
The closest you'll get is the one based off After Burner Climax.

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #441 on: June 29, 2016, 03:05:14 PM »
Is there any reason why Youyou Kengeki Musou is often referred to as Dat Youmu game?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #442 on: June 29, 2016, 03:15:55 PM »
Because no one knows what Youyou Kengeki Musou is, but everyone knows what you mean when you say  Dat Youmu Game.

« Reply #443 on: June 29, 2016, 08:34:17 PM »
Its just nicer to say.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
« Reply #444 on: June 30, 2016, 12:51:19 AM »
The closest you'll get is the one based off After Burner Climax.
Which is?

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #445 on: June 30, 2016, 01:06:11 AM »
Which is?
This.
You can find a download link by searching the game's name, Master Burner Climax, on google. I'd give you the link but I'm not sure if we're allowed to give download links to fangames and such.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #446 on: June 30, 2016, 04:06:02 AM »
There's also that 3D version of Touhou 6.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09ngfE279uk
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 08:51:42 AM by game2011 »

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #447 on: July 07, 2016, 04:16:23 PM »
No fans see it fitting to include Junko in the Old Maid Alliance?  I think she qualifies to be in that group, but I have yet to see any fan arts depicting her with the existing members.  But then, the fandom seems to have lost interest in the Old Maid Alliance as a whole...

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #448 on: July 07, 2016, 04:25:02 PM »
No fans see it fitting to include Junko in the Old Maid Alliance?  I think she qualifies to be in that group, but I have yet to see any fan arts depicting her with the existing members.  But then, the fandom seems to have lost interest in the Old Maid Alliance as a whole...

I don't understand what question you're asking here or how it can be answered. Did you mean to post this in Misc Thoughts and Commentary or something?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #449 on: July 07, 2016, 04:33:03 PM »
I don't understand what question you're asking here or how it can be answered. Did you mean to post this in Misc Thoughts and Commentary or something?
No, I did not post this here by mistake.  This is probably a question that only those who dwell deep into the series's fanon will understand.

Old Maids Alliance is a fan term where the fandom groups together some of the more matured women in the series.  It's like a reverse of Team 9.  Consistent members include Yukari, Yuyuko, Byakuren, Eirin, and Kanako.  Yuuka, Shinki, and Mima are occasionally put into the group.  Basically, the group is for characters the fandom think are very mature and wise-looking and look like they are in their 30s.

EDIT: Did come across a couple of fan arts that include Junko in the group, but the fact still stands that it's uncommon to see her with the others.  Again, this is really only something that people who are familiar with all the fan stuff and memes of the series will understand.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 04:38:35 PM by game2011 »