Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating  (Read 196554 times)

Hannibal_Kills

• To Hell and Beyond
  • I don't give a damn about rules...
Re: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating
« Reply #330 on: April 19, 2016, 02:45:06 PM »
What a damned coincidence of coincidences...

Oh well, another day in Gensokyo  :V, by the way thanks for the quick reply!

A Hellcat went down the Hell's Highway after the Battle for Caen, "Byou". - Hannibal

« Reply #331 on: April 21, 2016, 04:11:30 AM »
Still want an answer to this question:
Has ZUN ever talked about Hijiri's boobs jiggling in HM?
And another what if question:
Would Yukari be in support/agreement or disagreement/opposition to the kind of slavery that humans do, mainly the kind practiced by american before the civil war? I mean, she does own a slave, but she's a youkai and her views on slavery are bound be different from humans. I think she would find the idea of selling slaves silly, but what do you guys think?
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

« Reply #332 on: April 21, 2016, 05:37:08 AM »
It's hard to to say, but I doubt she'd find it "silly" in the sense that she thinks it's illogical: she's a smart woman who'd easily realize how such a system benefits those in power. She might find it silly, in a condescending way, that powerless humans are pretending to be in charge of their own fates and the fates of others, but she'd probably think the same thing of government and whatnot.

« Reply #333 on: April 21, 2016, 06:37:02 AM »
I was thinking more along the lines that she would think that slave owners did not do a very good job at "improving" their slaves, considering that slaves often rebelled against their owners, But yeah that worrks too, even if it makes Yukari look like a hypocrite considering she's in control of Ran's fate. But i guess if a youkai does it its okay!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:55:27 AM by the old guy »
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

« Reply #334 on: April 23, 2016, 11:26:41 AM »
I don't quite understand Yukari's and Reimu's relationship with each other. Can someone enlighten me? I always thought that Reimu hates Yukari in some way but that might be just my own interpretation. (I'm new to the fandom btw)

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #335 on: April 23, 2016, 11:48:07 AM »
"Hate" is too strong a word. Reimu does get annoyed at Yukari at times, but in general Yukari fills a mentoring role for her. They do share the job of maintaining the barrier, which Yukari is more knowledgeable about.

Hannibal_Kills

• To Hell and Beyond
« Reply #336 on: April 23, 2016, 03:06:41 PM »
Yukari is a derp teacher in a school who teaches an under-educated security guard during her free time, period?.

A Hellcat went down the Hell's Highway after the Battle for Caen, "Byou". - Hannibal

« Reply #337 on: April 23, 2016, 08:25:53 PM »
Yukari is a derp teacher in a school who teaches an under-educated security guard during her free time, period?.

That summed it all up

« Reply #338 on: April 24, 2016, 09:36:26 AM »
Does anyone know what the extra stage theme of Touhou Mashousei (Fairies of Sorcery) is?
I haven't found its name anywhere and Touhou wiki doesn't have information about it either.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #339 on: April 25, 2016, 06:06:57 PM »
I've been enjoying a lot of the Peanuts x Touhou comics, but this one stumps me.

Can someone explain the joke?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Drake

« Reply #340 on: April 25, 2016, 10:24:23 PM »
Pretty sure the joke is that the Tokugawa Shogunate was established by... Tokugawa (Ieyasu).

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #341 on: April 26, 2016, 09:11:50 AM »
Huh. A joke so obvious I missed it. Well thanks!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #342 on: April 26, 2016, 02:27:00 PM »
Can someone explain to me what the Dream World introduced in LoLK is? I don't get how it relates to the plot, why the Lunarians had to go there, or what it even does, frankly.

(hope this is the right place to ask...wasn't quite sure, don't want to cause a hassle for the mods)

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #343 on: April 26, 2016, 10:19:25 PM »
Can someone explain to me what the Dream World introduced in LoLK is? I don't get how it relates to the plot, why the Lunarians had to go there, or what it even does, frankly.

(hope this is the right place to ask...wasn't quite sure, don't want to cause a hassle for the mods)

Uh, the Dream World is fairly new and there aren't too many explanations about it, but let's try anyway :
Can someone explain to me what the Dream World introduced in LoLK is? (...) or what it even does

Even if LoLK introduced it, I think WaHH gave the most explanations regarding Dream World related stuff. If I understood correctly, things goes more or less like this : when people sleep and dream, their consciousness (or soul?) goes on a trip to another reality : the experience it lives there is basically what a "dream" is ; and in order to get to that dream, the consciousness (or soul?) of the dreamer passes through the Dream World : in other words, the Dream World is essentially some sort of passageway that binds differents worlds / places / realities together. Sort of. For example, Sumireko can access Gensokyo through her dreams.

As for LoLK, in order to get to the Moon, the heroines used a certain passageway that brought them in the Dream World physically. Here, the Dream World might seem like it's just some random place that they happened to pass by in order to solve the incident, and might therefore seem irrelevant ; but its relevance is mainly because of how it is tied to Sagume's plan :

How it relates to the plot
The plot being mainly about Sagume's plan, the Dream World is obviously not the focus of the story. But it does hold a certain relevance toward Sagume's plan, and the plan's point is basically how to get the Lunarians out of the mess they are in :

Why the Lunarians had to go there, or what it even does, frankly.
Junko's invasion was basically about flooding the Moon with "impurity" / lifeforce and render the "pure" Moonies unable to react. "Impurity" here is mainly about life and death : if it's alive, it can die. But here's the thing : the "pure" Lunarians are able to enjoy extremely long lives because they reject the notions of "life" and "death" : if it's not alive it can't die (so, basically, they're amortals). So, if the Lunarians were affected by the impurity, what would happen ? They'll become mortals, and that is not certainly not the first thing on their wishlist. So, basically, the Lunarians had to move to the Dream World because the Lunar Capital was threatened by a massive amount of impurity.

Now then, back to how the Dream World is related to the plot : Since the Moonies were unable to do anything against this threat, obviously, getting people who had no trouble whatsoever with impurity deal with their problem was the obvious choice... and these people had to somehow end up in the Moon, say, for instance, through the Dream World. Besides, the heroines getting in the Moon conveniently to deal with their problem seems reeeaaaaaaaally suspicious, I mean, the Moonies have shown in CiLR that they are able to with whatever way outsiders might have to intrude the Moon, so...

So yeah, all in all, the Dream World is essentially an important piece of the puzzle that is Sagume's plan, but certainly not the focus of the story. There might certainly be other ways to highlight its relevance, but IMO, it's minor compared to the Lunarians's scheme.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:21:51 PM by Suspicious person »

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #344 on: April 27, 2016, 08:18:53 PM »
Besides, the heroines getting in the Moon conveniently to deal with their problem seems reeeaaaaaaaally suspicious, I mean, the Moonies have shown in CiLR that they are able to with whatever way outsiders might have to intrude the Moon, so...
That's pretty much on Eirin. She's the one that gave the Ultramarine Orb medicine for the heroines, after all. Sagume, at least, assumes she's responsible for sending the player character in all routes, and I don't think she's wrong, considering it's Eirin we're talking about. Also, the lunarians couldn't deal with the attack because not only did Junko make the fairies a force of pure impurity, but likely also because fairies simply respawn if killed. So they couldn't get rid of them as they normally would (however that is, be it weapons or something else). They really needed a human/impure moon rabbit to do the job.

Also, I think it's relevant to say that the majority of the lunarians had no idea they were in the dream world, and it was actually said that it wouldn't be good for them to remain there for much longer than they already had been (nearly a year), because prolonged stay in the dream world would eventually decay their minds, iirc.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:05:11 AM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

« Reply #345 on: April 29, 2016, 11:41:33 PM »
STILL want an answer to this:

Also, whats that wooden thing that Miko carries with her? (Not her Sword.)

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #346 on: April 29, 2016, 11:51:40 PM »
Also, whats that wooden thing that Miko carries with her? (Not her Sword.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaku_(ritual_baton)

Drake

« Reply #347 on: April 30, 2016, 12:06:19 AM »
STILL want an answer to this:
Nobody answering suggests there is a lack of evidence that he has, which doesn't mean he definitely hasn't, but you just shouldn't assume he has.
The fact is that it exists in the game, so it isn't like it was so apparently awful that ZUN had to do something about it. If he has commented on stuff like this at all it probably would have been on something like Nikenme, which would be very difficult to find without a text source quoting it.

Hannibal_Kills

• To Hell and Beyond
« Reply #348 on: May 02, 2016, 11:35:03 PM »
What exactly is the content rating for Touhou if we include the backstories and the manga? I think 13+, but I don't think that's accurate at all.

Drake

« Reply #349 on: May 03, 2016, 01:51:37 AM »
Depends on what rating system you're using, but most of Touhou is pretty much for general audiences as far as its face value goes. Some works like CiLR and FS you might rate 10+ for some violence?

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
« Reply #350 on: May 08, 2016, 06:46:12 PM »
Hey guys,

A few days ago I happened to stumble upon this IRL. Long story short, it's a simple crosswords magazine, but well, just look at who's on the cover for some unknown reason...

Now, beyond wondering just "why" they're even there in the first place, it did raise a few questions in my mind, namely:
-Was the photo used with or without permission?
-If anyone happens to know who the cosplayers are?

If this is in the wrong place, I apologise, I wasn't sure where a topic like this could even go so I just picked the most general thing.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #351 on: May 08, 2016, 10:15:11 PM »
Somebody sent it to me this morning, and I am honestly tempted to give the magazine a call tomorrow to ask them.

Or I could also order the magazine, but uh...

Thinking about it, I could probably find it in a store.

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
« Reply #352 on: May 08, 2016, 10:18:43 PM »
I also checked the photo credits part earlier, but there's nothing about the cover photo, only photos used inside the magazine itself... So that didn't help either.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #353 on: May 12, 2016, 05:59:28 PM »
How did English speakers decided that Utsuho is a raven and not a crow?  She's referred to as a crow (karasu) like Aya and Hatate in Japan, where they don't differentiate between crows and ravens, at least among those who aren't scientists.

Thanks in advance!

« Reply #354 on: May 12, 2016, 06:37:08 PM »
How did English speakers decided that Utsuho is a raven and not a crow?  She's referred to as a crow (karasu) like Aya and Hatate in Japan, where they don't differentiate between crows and ravens, at least among those who aren't scientists.

Thanks in advance!

Well, the simplest answer would be that because the language doesn't clearly distinguish them (unless you're a birdwatcher or whatever), whoever was translating SA just mentally flipped a coin and landed on raven instead of crow. Or maybe they even just thought that "hell raven" rolled off the tongue better than "hell crow." It's not exactly wrong, although it certainly bugs me that some people make a huge deal of it, and sometimes I'd rather just see it all switched to "crow" to avoid any confusion. It also distances her slightly from her corvid brethren (Aya, etc), which I'm certain was not intentional.

Either way though, I'm interested in hearing the story myself, if there is one.

Hope ♦ Metal

• Royal Flares Can't Melt Steel Beams
  • Donald Trump will make waifus real
« Reply #355 on: May 13, 2016, 07:00:24 PM »
Well, the simplest answer would be that because the language doesn't clearly distinguish them (unless you're a birdwatcher or whatever), whoever was translating SA just mentally flipped a coin and landed on raven instead of crow. Or maybe they even just thought that "hell raven" rolled off the tongue better than "hell crow." It's not exactly wrong, although it certainly bugs me that some people make a huge deal of it, and sometimes I'd rather just see it all switched to "crow" to avoid any confusion. It also distances her slightly from her corvid brethren (Aya, etc), which I'm certain was not intentional.

Either way though, I'm interested in hearing the story myself, if there is one.
My theory: Ravens are bigger than crows so if we equate "bigness" to which stage they are the boss of, we get that Okuu is "bigger" than Aya, therefore she HAS to be a raven.

« Reply #356 on: May 13, 2016, 08:43:18 PM »
To be honest Raven sounds cooler than Crow.

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #357 on: May 16, 2016, 10:25:30 PM »
I found this "crossover" (so to say) on Twitter, which leads to an official-looking page for Taiko no Tatsujin: Dokodon! Mystery Adventure, set for release for...today (May 16th)?

I was reminded of cuc's post regarding some licenses with ZUN and Nintendo, but it did not mention Taiko Drum Master.

Any extra info on this?

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #358 on: May 16, 2016, 10:43:23 PM »
This was announced some time ago.

See that article on Gematsu. Some Touhou songs (Night of Nights, Cirno?s Perfect Math Class and Utakata, Ai no Mahoroba) are featured in the song list.

IIRC, it already happened in previous Taiko no Tetsujin games.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:45:03 PM by Spotty Len »

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #359 on: May 20, 2016, 06:41:07 PM »
Do we know that the Komeiji sisters are in fact seperate beings?  Even as I ask this I wonder what the definition would be when involving youkai.