Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating  (Read 197933 times)

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
Re: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating
« Reply #270 on: March 21, 2016, 01:00:41 AM »
One question:
Can Yukari go back to the past using her Inter-Dimensional travel power? If no, is there anyone in Gensokyo can?
We don't know. Maribel has traveled through time, as we know from the Memorandum in PMiSS, and although it wasn't voluntary (probably; she did think she was dreaming, after all), it still shows she has the ability to do so. If Maribel really is Yukari (and everything points towards that), maybe Yukari learned how to do it at will, but we have no clue either way.

Other than her, no one else has shown the power to travel through time, iirc.

Can someone explain the Lunarian concept of purity to me?  It seems about as vague as our modern "Terrorist"
The wiki has a page on it. It's basically the same as the Shinto concept.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:11:26 AM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

« Reply #271 on: March 21, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »
For what it's worth, there is no such thing as "purity", there is simply a specific metaphysical substance that they don't like. This seems to be the most common confusion. The substance is called "kegare" and in Touhou represents the cycle of life, ie: both life and death. Junko turned Clownpiece into pure impurity in LoLK, and that was not a contradiction in Japanese. The Lunarians plan to exist forever by never being exposed to life. Something that is not alive cannot die.

Chirumiru-chan

• Destitute shrine maiden
  • Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
    • Megagaga
« Reply #272 on: March 21, 2016, 10:22:01 PM »
I want a REAL copy of Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream. I want it in the plastic bag with the instructions and the disk. Please, does someone have it, or is there a Yahoo Auctions link to it? I WANT PODD!  :ohdear: :(
⑨-chan
1cc: PoDD Rikako (Easy), PoDD Marisa (Easy), LLS Reimu (Easy)

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #273 on: March 21, 2016, 11:53:47 PM »
I want a REAL copy of Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream. I want it in the plastic bag with the instructions and the disk. Please, does someone have it, or is there a Yahoo Auctions link to it? I WANT PODD!  :ohdear: :(

Even if you CAN find one, its gonna very expensive. And on top of that you won't be able to play it with out a PC-98, which will be expensive and just as hard to get ahold of.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Chirumiru-chan

• Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
    • Megagaga
« Reply #274 on: March 22, 2016, 01:41:12 AM »
Even if you CAN find one, its gonna very expensive. And on top of that you won't be able to play it with out a PC-98, which will be expensive and just as hard to get ahold of.
I don't care about the PC-98 I just want it for the pictures. DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ACTUAL PODD COPY?!
⑨-chan

Drake

« Reply #275 on: March 22, 2016, 07:28:41 AM »
you're like 13 there is no way you have the several hundreds of dollars to get a regular copy, never mind the over-thousand often listed for a full original set

i'm sure you realize these games barely even exist right

it's considered a special occasion for them to even show up in a shop because it means somebody sold theirs
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:30:14 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #276 on: March 22, 2016, 07:44:45 AM »
you're like 13 there is no way you have the several hundreds of dollars to get a regular copy, never mind the over-thousand often listed for a full original set
He's 13? I thought he was 25?
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #277 on: March 22, 2016, 07:47:53 AM »
He's 13? I thought he was 25?

Profile says 13 Female but that's neither here nor there. To make it simple its gonna be next to impossible to get a physical copy. Next best thing is to use that PC-98 (emulator?) Found in the forum somewhere and play it there.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Drake

« Reply #278 on: March 22, 2016, 10:44:30 AM »
Uh they said they didn't really care about playing it though

Hannibal_Kills

• To Hell and Beyond
  • I don't give a damn about rules...
« Reply #279 on: March 22, 2016, 11:05:23 AM »
I don't care about the PC-98 I just want it for the pictures.
How is it possible for you to post a reply here again? Yes, Internet. So, if you just want pictures and not caring about the game, just Google them out so. No need to spend more time and money, especially when you're that young, sweetheart.

A Hellcat went down the Hell's Highway after the Battle for Caen, "Byou". - Hannibal

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #280 on: March 22, 2016, 01:08:51 PM »
I don't care about the PC-98 I just want it for the pictures. DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ACTUAL PODD COPY?!

Just to give you a sense of perspective, here is a copy of SoEW that went up for bidding at Anime Boston 2014. The winning bid? $820 USD.

You can likely find images of the hard copy of PoDD somewhere in Google Images. Dropping close to a grand just for pics is a bit excessive, even if you have the funds, which is doubtful.

I think this question can be safely put to rest.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Chirumiru-chan

• Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
    • Megagaga
« Reply #281 on: March 22, 2016, 03:56:25 PM »
I want to see the instructions, the paper manual. What's on the paper manual?!
⑨-chan

Tengukami

« Reply #282 on: March 22, 2016, 04:27:24 PM »
I want to see the instructions, the paper manual. What's on the paper manual?!

Did you try Google? Seems a lot of your questions lately can be answered on the wiki, if they can be answered at all.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #283 on: March 22, 2016, 04:35:27 PM »
Sit down for a bit and try organizing your thoughts before posting. You're making it sound like you're going crazy and yelling just to know what's on a sheet of paper which most of the time has nothing on it besides contact info, system requirements and basic installation instructions.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:37:30 PM by Romantique Tp »

Chirumiru-chan

• Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
    • Megagaga
« Reply #284 on: March 22, 2016, 07:16:45 PM »
Sit down for a bit and try organizing your thoughts before posting. You're making it sound like you're going crazy and yelling just to know what's on a sheet of paper which most of the time has nothing on it besides contact info, system requirements and basic installation instructions.
I know that part of the paper manual. But the first part. I think it's something about not letting kids watch TV too much and people who confuse anime with reality, and that part hasn't been on the wiki. Oh well.  :(
⑨-chan

Tengukami

« Reply #285 on: March 22, 2016, 07:21:52 PM »
Maybe try and find where you heard that? Or get someone to translate the beginning text in the link I just gave you?

I mean, you ask for easily searchable stuff, or stuff without an answer. Neither are what this thread is for. If people seem frustrated that may be why. Take a few moments before you post - could save everyone a lot of time.

Hannibal_Kills

• To Hell and Beyond
« Reply #286 on: March 22, 2016, 11:21:17 PM »
Hey Mr. Janitor, I'm sure this happens a lot every year right? (Posting without thinking it through)

A Hellcat went down the Hell's Highway after the Battle for Caen, "Byou". - Hannibal

Tengukami

« Reply #287 on: March 23, 2016, 01:18:09 PM »
Doesn't happen really often, as far as I've seen, no.

« Reply #288 on: March 24, 2016, 02:38:19 AM »
Profile says 13 Female but that's neither here nor there. To make it simple its gonna be next to impossible to get a physical copy. Next best thing is to use that PC-98 (emulator?) Found in the forum somewhere and play it there.
Oops, sorry. I wasn't paying attention. (Also sorry for misgendering her)
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Ozzter

• Just lurking around, don't mind me.
« Reply #289 on: March 31, 2016, 05:38:01 PM »
Ah, hello again.
I've been wondering things, not explicitly Touhou related, but kinda since it's about a type of youkai. Regarding tsukumogami, I know how they are spirits residing in objects, bringing them to life in a sense. Is the actual body of the tsukumogami just the spirit itself or the object it resides in as well? Would damaging the object itself cause any harm to the tsukumogami, or does the object possess youkai-like qualities where it cannot be harmed physically, and what would happen to the spirit if said object was destroyed ( unless, again, the object possesses youkai-like qualities where it can't decay and such )? I know how mistreatment of the object would anger the spirit in the first place, it's more in the sense of defending against them as in the Touhou games. Whether the answers are specific to the Touhou series or just in general I don't mind, these were just some things I was thinking about recently.
Saying I rarely post is an understatement... but I'm always here...!

« Reply #290 on: March 31, 2016, 11:45:48 PM »
The object is the body of the spirit. It's not some random spirit that happens to be possessing an object, it's the spirit of the object that's lived there all along. The idea that every single thing has its own soul is the premise of animist religions like Shinto. It only becomes a youkai when it gets angered, but this is fundamentally no different from, say, cats becoming two-tailed youkai after living a long time.

As for whether it can be damaged, there's no universal rule for that. In Touhou, youkai are resistant to physical damage and weak to spiritual damage, but that's just something ZUN came up with for his story. Oftentimes youkai are just killed with mundane swords and whatnot.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 12:16:38 AM by Clarste »

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
« Reply #291 on: April 01, 2016, 12:54:53 AM »
What was the event where ZUN saw a Reimu cosplayer wearing high heels and he said Reimu doesn't wear heels?

Ozzter

• Just lurking around, don't mind me.
« Reply #292 on: April 01, 2016, 08:20:25 AM »
The object is the body of the spirit. It's not some random spirit that happens to be possessing an object, it's the spirit of the object that's lived there all along. The idea that every single thing has its own soul is the premise of animist religions like Shinto. It only becomes a youkai when it gets angered, but this is fundamentally no different from, say, cats becoming two-tailed youkai after living a long time.

As for whether it can be damaged, there's no universal rule for that. In Touhou, youkai are resistant to physical damage and weak to spiritual damage, but that's just something ZUN came up with for his story. Oftentimes youkai are just killed with mundane swords and whatnot.

Ah thanks alot for clearing things up for me, especially the second paragraph there. I've got a bit of an interest in mythology, and happened to have tsukomogami on my mind so just wanted to ask about them in particular.
Saying I rarely post is an understatement... but I'm always here...!

« Reply #293 on: April 02, 2016, 08:48:19 AM »
Question: the composer for the fangame Marine Benefit posted a new music series and a short story related to the game last year, and I'd like to make a post about it. Any thread for the game itself seems to have been dead for a while, though, so I'm not sure if it's worth starting an entire new thread for this? I'm not sure whether I would put said thread in the "games" or "fandom" subforum either, since there's nothing new regarding the game itself. Does anyone have some advice? (Also, if this isn't the right thread for this sort of question, I apologize in advance.)

Drake

« Reply #294 on: April 02, 2016, 09:45:34 AM »
Would probably go in TARC, yes. Should probably make a new thread, no reason not to.

Hannibal_Kills

• To Hell and Beyond
« Reply #295 on: April 02, 2016, 10:43:53 AM »
Can we find evidence to (fanonly) prove that PC-98 and Windows of Touhou was actually ONE CONTINUOUS TIMELINE?

« Reply #296 on: April 02, 2016, 11:08:40 AM »
Can we find evidence to (fanonly) prove that PC-98 and Windows of Touhou was actually ONE CONTINUOUS TIMELINE?

Alice and Yuka recognize Reimu as someone they've met before. I think that's pretty much it.

Chirumiru-chan

• Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
    • Megagaga
« Reply #297 on: April 02, 2016, 03:01:05 PM »
Do you know that the girl in the C62 Circle Cut is not Rin Satsuki? It's actually a Team Shanghai Alice poster girl, as revealed by a Tweet that a fan who talked to ZUN sent.
⑨-chan

« Reply #298 on: April 04, 2016, 02:10:28 AM »
I didn't know where to post this, I hope that my topic is at the right place.

Recently, I went on a discussion with some people and we were arguing about the Magician species.
And my point was that every Magicians in Touhou as a specie were youkais.
So, naturally, they talked about Marisa.
My thought is that Marisa was a "Magician" as a job/occupation because she can use magic
but not as a specie, as she never became a youkai to be immortal like real magicians, or like alice that was human before being a youkai magician.
Marisa is described as a "Human Magician" in all wikis, but she is said to be a "Human" as a specie.
for me, the "human magician" term is used to describe just a human that uses magic, but that is not a "real magician", like the native magicians (like patchy, byakuren) or the ones who became magicians (like alice).
I wanted to know what is the final answer behind that.

thanks.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:12:04 AM by ojisama »

« Reply #299 on: April 04, 2016, 07:10:23 AM »
Your interpretation is correct. Marisa is a human who works as a magician, but isn't a magician-type youkai like Alice, Patchouli, or Byakuren. You can get more details from PMiSS, but the gist of it is that magician youkai give up their humanity by drawing life energy from magic itself, rather than food.