Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating  (Read 196544 times)

CyberAngel

• Retired
Re: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating
« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2016, 05:20:49 PM »
Recently I heard that the title of Marisa in FS,"Extremely Ordinary Magician", sounds very suspicious, is possible that after years of using and studying Magic Marisa has become a youkai maybe whitout fully realizing that herself ? Also her title in touhou 3 and 4,"A Being made of Magic and Red Dream", sounds like to suggest that she was something non-human even then (if you treat the pc-98 as Canon), what do you think about it ?

There's a very specific condition for a human to become a magician youkai. Marisa was working on it, but quite explicitly didn't succeed yet. Odds are she doesn't really want to actually do that.

« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2016, 06:24:53 PM »
Recently I heard that the title of Marisa in FS,"Extremely Ordinary Magician", sounds very suspicious, is possible that after years of using and studying Magic Marisa has become a youkai maybe whitout fully realizing that herself ? Also her title in touhou 3 and 4,"A Being made of Magic and Red Dream", sounds like to suggest that she was something non-human even then (if you treat the pc-98 as Canon), what do you think about it ?

She's very explicitly human, and her title in FS is mostly a joke. The PC-98 stuff isn't a very useful reference either since ZUN hadn't really started thinking about worldbuilding at that pont.

« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2016, 12:11:09 AM »
  • Is Junko the Mother of Suns? Or is that Changxi? Dijun had two wives and 10 sons. Or is the Mother of Sons none of two? What is going on?
  • If Junko is somehow filled with hate and grudge due to losing her "sons", wouldn't that have been at the time her sons got shot down?
  • Dijun already punished Houyi for this by stripping his "god status". Even though I would assume Junko to be unpleased with this and kept her grudge for murdering her sons.
  • Jouga gained immortal life due to the elixer. And Houyi died I assume.

Does this mean Junko always had a grudge on Houyi and everything he related to? Would this indicate that as Houyi died, she moved her hate/grudge to Jouga, who actually should've been mortal but became immortal? So it is like eternal shoved blame on Jouga?

ZUN took several figures named "Hou Yi" and combined them, is the thing.

• There's the mythological Yi who shot down the suns and was married to Chang'e; the sun thing is where Hecatia's grudge comes from, but it has nothing to do with the person Junko is based on.
  • There's also the Xia dynasty ruler named Hou Yi, who married a woman named Chun Hu (纯狐), killed the son they had together, and was murdered in a conspiracy between Chun Hu and a minister. The accounts involving this Yi have no relation to Chang'e.

I try to avoid making super definitive statements, but I think it's pretty obvious that Junko is Chun Hu; their names are even identical save for what language you read the kanji in. Her connection to Chang'e comes from the fact that ZUN mashed the two Hou Yis together.

(Note that conflating the two Hou Yis, or the other people involved in their stories, isn't a ZUN invention in itself. In fact there's even a Chinese academic paper analyzing and comparing the various accounts.)

« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2016, 06:55:10 AM »
Canon-wise, how is Momiji's attitude? For some reason I get the impression that she acts highly professional and that if you have no business with her she'll be quite aloof with you.
Momiji is one of the vaguest characters personality wise. She seems really aggressive imo, but that's about it.
Do whatever you want. I guess.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2016, 11:08:08 AM »
Well, there's this thing.
ZUN took several figures named "Hou Yi" and combined them, is the thing.

• There's the mythological Yi who shot down the suns and was married to Chang'e; the sun thing is where Hecatia's grudge comes from, but it has nothing to do with the person Junko is based on.
  • There's also the Xia dynasty ruler named Hou Yi, who married a woman named Chun Hu (纯狐), killed the son they had together, and was murdered in a conspiracy between Chun Hu and a minister. The accounts involving this Yi have no relation to Chang'e.

I try to avoid making super definitive statements, but I think it's pretty obvious that Junko is Chun Hu; their names are even identical save for what language you read the kanji in. Her connection to Chang'e comes from the fact that ZUN mashed the two Hou Yis together.

(Note that conflating the two Hou Yis, or the other people involved in their stories, isn't a ZUN invention in itself. In fact there's even a Chinese academic paper analyzing and comparing the various accounts.)
Your two posts seem to connect (the screenshot + the explanation) and makes it more clear. Thanks.

So if I am not mistaking or confusing: the story I read on that wiki isn't the Hou Yi being related to LoLK?

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2016, 03:45:34 PM »
Canon-wise, how is Momiji's attitude? For some reason I get the impression that she acts highly professional and that if you have no business with her she'll be quite aloof with you.
She hates Aya, 'nuff said.

And I think I asked this before, but anyway...  Are there any fan works that actually portray Hisou Tensoku as what it actually is, a balloon?

Thanks in advance!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2016, 10:21:43 PM »
Sorry if this has been covered before, but if it has I couldn't really find it.

Anyway, how it Marisa's name pronounced? Most people seem to pronounce it as a homonym of "Marissa", but it's my understanding that it's pronounced with a long e (Mareesa). Which, if either, is right?

Marisa is a slightly less common name than Marissa, but it is a real name. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be total consistency among how people with that name pronounce it, so that doesn't help a ton. At least some people named Marisa seem to make a distinction between the two names, anyway,
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2016, 10:39:15 PM »
Anyway, how it Marisa's name pronounced? Most people seem to pronounce it as a homonym of "Marissa", but it's my understanding that it's pronounced with a long e (Mareesa). Which, if either, is right?
Her Japanese pronunciation has all short syllables, with emphasis on the first one, MAH-ry-sah (-ɾi-sɑ). The closest pronunciation that makes sense in English would have to be muh-RI-suh (mə--sə).
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Hannibal_Kills

• To Hell and Beyond
  • I don't give a damn about rules...
« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2016, 12:15:00 AM »
One question here, but in the start of a Danmaku duel in general,
Like Rumia vs Cirno for example, fair enough?
How does the Spell Card Rules decide who 'spams bullets' and who 'dodges bullets'?

A Hellcat went down the Hell's Highway after the Battle for Caen, "Byou". - Hannibal

« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2016, 12:53:04 AM »
I don't think there are such rules. Either one can spam or dodge bullets.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2016, 01:44:25 AM »
Yeah, that's just for gameplay sake, I think.

Actual danmaku battles seem to have more to do with the fighting games, going by SSiB.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Hannibal_Kills

• To Hell and Beyond
  • I don't give a damn about rules...
« Reply #192 on: February 16, 2016, 02:11:11 AM »
Okay, then how about battling against someone who can't use Danmaku.

Because after reading Touhou fanfics, I'm starting to think, for example, protagonist thrown into Gensokyo, accidentally pissed off somebody, got himself into a Danmaku battle in which protagonist don't even know how it works, or how to fire one, and gets rekt even if it's not his fault in the first place, doesn't make sense for the Spell Card Rules.

Then again, it's fanfiction so I can't blame the writer, except for making me stuck thinking of this crap.  :colonveeplusalpha:

A Hellcat went down the Hell's Highway after the Battle for Caen, "Byou". - Hannibal

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #193 on: February 16, 2016, 04:34:07 AM »
Any link to that unused picture of Kana with a stop sign?  I'm adding that piece of trivia to the Wiki, and I need the source pic as proof.  I remember someone posting a link to an old ZUN website that shows this before here.

Thanks in advance!

Because after reading Touhou fanfics, I'm starting to think, for example, protagonist thrown into Gensokyo, accidentally pissed off somebody, got himself into a Danmaku battle in which protagonist don't even know how it works, or how to fire one, and gets rekt even if it's not his fault in the first place, doesn't make sense for the Spell Card Rules.
I feel like crying every time I see an "OC goes to Gensokyo" fic, even more so if Yukari gapped the OC there.  :qq:

Where is the originality...?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:38:35 AM by game2011 »

Drake

« Reply #194 on: February 16, 2016, 05:32:10 AM »
Danmaku is easy. Apparently not everyone can toss danmaku, but it's meant to be so easy that pretty much anyone can do it. Because it's a method of conflict resolution, the rules are going to be explained and whatnot beforehand. You aren't going to force someone into a game without explaining the rules... although really due to the nature of danmaku you don't really need to be in a duel to attack someone with it. They're just going to get wrecked.

Any link to that unused picture of Kana with a stop sign?  I'm adding that piece of trivia to the Wiki, and I need the source pic as proof.  I remember someone posting a link to an old ZUN website that shows this before here.
You're referring to this post:

https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,13761.msg911943.html#msg911943

However, he never actually published a picture of Kana like this as far as I can recall.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #195 on: February 16, 2016, 07:45:02 AM »
Didn't stop people from using it often in fan arts, though.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 07:47:25 AM by game2011 »

Drake

« Reply #196 on: February 16, 2016, 07:46:04 AM »
Yeah, just saying that I don't think there's an "unused picture" like you suggested.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #197 on: February 16, 2016, 07:47:57 AM »
I remember seeing one...  Must've mistaken a piece of ZUN-style fan art for it or thought I saw one...

« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2016, 05:47:09 AM »
Okay, then how about battling against someone who can't use Danmaku.

Then again, it's fanfiction so I can't blame the writer, except for making me stuck thinking of this crap.  :colonveeplusalpha:

They don't do that. Touhou characters will explain spell card rules to whoever they want to battle with.
Spell Card rules is a game with both players agreeing to it.

That said, it is wise to challenge Youkai to a spell card duel if they catch you. If you don't, odds are, they will just outright kill you.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2016, 02:38:07 PM »
What's the wiki's policy about spoilers? If i wanted to add Yukari's role in LoLK to her profile, how much should i wait before it isn't considered spoiler anymore?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2016, 02:39:58 PM »
Pretty sure you can spoilerize text on the wiki, too.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Chirumiru-chan

• Destitute shrine maiden
  • Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
    • Megagaga
« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2016, 09:34:14 PM »
ZUN made SoEW with MIDI music, and I want to transcribe the rest of the PC-98 games' music to MIDI. PoDD and LLS were gonna have MIDI, as a hidden option shows. But how would I make their music MIDI?

Is there a free PMD to MIDI software I can use? Or a MPT to MIDI software I can use (for HRtP)?
⑨-chan
1cc: PoDD Rikako (Easy), PoDD Marisa (Easy), LLS Reimu (Easy)

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2016, 11:23:45 PM »
There's some PC-98 MIDIs here on ZUN's old site. It's not all of the songs, though.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Chirumiru-chan

• Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
    • Megagaga
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2016, 01:15:45 AM »
I know that, but I want to transcribe the PMD files themselves to MIDI.
⑨-chan

« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2016, 03:58:47 AM »
Yukari had a role in Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom?

« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2016, 04:54:58 AM »
Spoiler:
She appears in Marisa's ending to give some cryptic commentary.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2016, 11:45:59 AM »
What's the wiki's policy about spoilers? If i wanted to add Yukari's role in LoLK to her profile, how much should i wait before it isn't considered spoiler anymore?
If it is something being spoiled in the ending of the story, don't. I believe the wiki standard follows ZUN's wish which was something along the lines of: "Don't post endings and such" (someone correct me if I am mistaking). This includes screens, dialogues or narrative text.

Chirumiru-chan

• Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
    • Megagaga
« Reply #207 on: February 26, 2016, 02:57:28 AM »
So why would Alice Soft sue ZUN Soft for a character portrait in PoDD? Are we talking about Marisa's? That's similar to some nurse portrait from a PC-98 game. I don't know if it's Alice Soft or not.
⑨-chan

« Reply #208 on: February 26, 2016, 03:25:31 AM »
Your wording is a bit confusing but tracing was extremely common in the 90's. They wouldn't bother suing a doujin dev.

Chirumiru-chan

• Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
    • Megagaga
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2016, 12:29:06 AM »
Your wording is a bit confusing but tracing was extremely common in the 90's. They wouldn't bother suing a doujin dev.
Nobody even played the PC-98 games back when they came out.
⑨-chan