Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating  (Read 198182 times)

Drake

Re: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2016, 03:21:47 AM »
Why is Sakuya in DDC, other than fan demand?
Because ZUN wanted to use that particular character

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2016, 08:22:06 PM »
Because her knives were affected by the mallet's power.

Also, I sincerely doubt Zun including Sakuya in DDC had even the smallest thing to do with fan demand.
Otherwise she'd still be around in LoLK.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2016, 10:09:43 PM »
To be honest Sakuya has probably the most annoying fanbase out of all of the Toehoes.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »
To be honest Sakuya has probably the most annoying fanbase out of all of the Toehoes.

Oh this can definitely be disputed.

Anyway, I don't think fan expectations have much influence on ZUN's casting decisions, if at all. And I don't know why this idea persists e.g. "ZUN is trolling us" or whatever.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2016, 05:35:35 PM »
Why is Sakuya in DDC, other than fan demand?

DDC's quest starts at Misty Lake which is close to the SDM. Even Cirno is there. I guess it makes sense to have Sakuya as another EoSD reference.

Drake

« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2016, 01:06:26 AM »
That might seem like the case, but the choice of Misty Lake is itself just as arbitrary as picking Sakuya for no reason, there's no real difference.

« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2016, 06:14:52 AM »
Oh this can definitely be disputed.

Anyway, I don't think fan expectations have much influence on ZUN's casting decisions, if at all. And I don't know why this idea persists e.g. "ZUN is trolling us" or whatever.

Can it? I don't disagree with the last part btw, but i feel that The Maid's fanbase seems to like treating characters who become playable (Like Sanae and You-moo) as "spot sealers" who stole Sakuya's respectful place as playable character, even thou she was shit gameplay wise. They wined too loudly about it IMO.

Thou, to be honest im probably saying that just because i don't like sakuya that much. Probably because i like Youmu so much.

(Thou, Youmoo's fanbase can be annoying at times as well, treating her as a innocent and easily fuckable child.)
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2016, 10:05:28 PM »
The only supervision he does is those editorial meetings. He is good at procrastinating until the deadline though.

Does that mean ZUN mostly just wrote the script for the manga without thoroughly examine the drawing for character inconsistency (if there is any)?
Does he just provide the artist loose guidelines about how he want his character(s) to be portray through the manga or is that the role of the artist to interpret the script?

I don't mean simply the overall design of Hakurei shrine which change thought out the numerous manga or the slight difference in Reimu personality between FS and WaHH which I think may have been done intentionally and isn't really important. I also read somewhere in one of his interview that Watatsuki no Toyohime suppose weapon of mass destruction end up being design as a fan because he did not really provide the artist any indication of it design.

« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2016, 10:42:27 AM »
Has ZUN ever commented on the higher difficulties of UFO? In the Afterword to SA (http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Subterranean_Animism/Translation/Afterword), he notes that he made Hard and Lunatic a bit too difficult. However, the consensus appears to be that UFO's Hard and Lunatic are more difficult than their counterparts in SA. I was wondering if an explanation from ZUN himself existed for this (or if not, what the most probable speculation is).

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2016, 11:30:48 PM »
I've seen an untranslated version of SCoOW, and i noticed that the first pages are about ULiL, LoLK characters (not the interview), IN, SSiB, and what i think is something about Yukari's Moon invasion (don't know if the 1st one or the one in SSiB). Those things don't seem to be on the wiki yet, does anyone know if there's something interesting/new there?

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2016, 11:32:26 PM »
I've seen an untranslated version of SCoOW, and i noticed that the first pages are about ULiL, LoLK characters (not the interview), IN, SSiB, and what i think is something about Yukari's Moon invasion (don't know if the 1st one or the one in SSiB). Those things don't seem to be on the wiki yet, does anyone know if there's something interesting/new there?
A few of those are translated.
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Strange_Creators_of_Outer_World#Strange_Creators_of_Outer_World_Volume.1

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2016, 11:58:50 PM »
Yes, i know. What isn't on the wiki (not even untranslated) is the whole part before the interviews:
page 5 - the 4 playable characters of LoLK, and ULiL plot as backstory
page 6 - Seiran, Ringo, and Doremy, with pictures of their danmaku
page 7 - stuff about IN, SSiB, and what looks like "Youkai VS Lunarians" with Yukari's portrait.
page 8 - Sagume and Clownpiece with pictures of their danmaku
page 9 - Junko ad Hecatia with pictures of their danmaku
page 10 starts the LoLK interview, which is already translated.

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #162 on: February 07, 2016, 10:12:06 PM »
I don't think this should go here, but I can't find a better place :( Someone can move it or whatever

I've been trying to download this for the past while, but I have no idea what the password is. On the nico video that accompanies it, it says that the password is the time and month the creator posted the download link (i think) but that doesn't work. So uh help please
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:24:19 PM by Lollipop »
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

Drake

« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2016, 03:09:02 AM »
Password is 201108192100 ("submission datetime, numbers only"). If that doesn't work, you have the wrong link.

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2016, 03:20:42 AM »
thanks!
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2016, 05:47:01 AM »
Where can I download IOSYS Flash videos - exactly Flash, i.e. swf, not Youtube videos? I want to set wallpaper from one of IOSYS videos, but the highest resolution of this video on Youtube is 360, maybe original flash had better resolution. (It's "Endless Tewi-ma Park" video.)
Easy: PoDD, FW, LoLK
Normal: SoEW, UFO, HSiFS
Hard: LLS, MS, EoSD, PoFW, MoF, SA, TD, DDC
Lunatic: PCB, IN
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, DDC, HSiFS; Phantasm

Chirumiru-chan

• Destitute shrine maiden
  • Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
    • Megagaga
« Reply #166 on: February 08, 2016, 10:41:45 PM »
Would the girls all have a crush on Bass (from the Mega Man series) if he somehow ended up in Gensokyo?
⑨-chan
1cc: PoDD Rikako (Easy), PoDD Marisa (Easy), LLS Reimu (Easy)

« Reply #167 on: February 09, 2016, 01:17:23 AM »
Would the girls all have a crush on Bass (from the Mega Man series) if he somehow ended up in Gensokyo?
No, cause the girls never seem to have any sexual attraction to anyone in any of the canonical games.
Proof: in IN none of the playable characters seemed to show any attraction towards Kaguya, even thou she is described as the most beautiful woman in the world. Same goes for Yuyuko, who is also described as being very beautiful.
And it can't be because they are straight, because none of the girls show attraction to Rinnosuke ether. Even thou Reimu and Marisa spend a lot of time around him, and despite the fact that he has a "White Haired Petty Boy" look, they seem to only regard him as a friend.
There ARE 4 toehoes that have been known to be married, but 1 of them (Seiga.) faked her death so she could get away from it. And Junko's husband is dead. Those two moon sisters who's name i cant remember, are married, but we don't know anything about their marriage, like if it was arranged or if they married out of love. and their husbands never show nor are named, so it doesn't matter.
IMO, having the girls show sexual attraction to Bass would not be in the spirit of The Touhou Project. Romance is not very important to the people of Genosokyo.

Drake

« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2016, 01:29:33 AM »
The Watatsuki sisters being married refers to their status as Toyotamahime and Tamayorihime, who are married to Hoori and Ugayafukiaezu respectively. Ugayafukiaezu is the son of Toyotamahime (i.e. married his aunt) and the father of Emperor Jimmu.

Chirumiru-chan

• Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
    • Megagaga
« Reply #169 on: February 09, 2016, 01:42:37 AM »
No, cause the girls never seem to have any sexual attraction to anyone in any of the canonical games.
Proof: in IN none of the playable characters seemed to show any attraction towards Kaguya, even thou she is described as the most beautiful woman in the world. Same goes for Yuyuko, who is also described as being very beautiful.
And it can't be because they are straight, because none of the girls show attraction to Rinnosuke ether. Even thou Reimu and Marisa spend a lot of time around him, and despite the fact that he has a "White Haired Petty Boy" look, they seem to only regard him as a friend.
There ARE 4 toehoes that have been known to be married, but 1 of them (Seiga.) faked her death so she could get away from it. And Junko's husband is dead. Those two moon sisters who's name i cant remember, are married, but we don't know anything about their marriage, like if it was arranged or if they married out of love. and their husbands never show nor are named, so it doesn't matter.
IMO, having the girls show sexual attraction to Bass would not be in the spirit of The Touhou Project. Romance is not very important to the people of Genosokyo.
Anything can happen in Gensokyo! They WILL have a crush on Bass. This is my opinion though.
⑨-chan

« Reply #170 on: February 09, 2016, 02:20:31 AM »
Anything can happen in Gensokyo! They WILL have a crush on Bass. This is my opinion though.
Well, if you were going to say that, then i have no idea why you ask that question in the first place.

But do whatever you want i guess. just as long as you don't have ALL of the girls of gensokyo bend on their knees for bass. that would be dumb IMO.

Chirumiru-chan

• Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
    • Megagaga
« Reply #171 on: February 09, 2016, 03:11:53 AM »
Well, if you were going to say that, then i have no idea why you ask that question in the first place.

But do whatever you want i guess. just as long as you don't have ALL of the girls of gensokyo bend on their knees for bass. that would be dumb IMO.
He has arrogance, so obey!   :U
⑨-chan

« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2016, 04:15:55 AM »
He has arrogance, so obey!   :U
Hey, Mystia also have arrogance, and as far as we know she doesn't have an harem following her at all times.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #173 on: February 09, 2016, 04:55:56 AM »
Canon-wise, how is Momiji's attitude? For some reason I get the impression that she acts highly professional and that if you have no business with her she'll be quite aloof with you.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2016, 09:36:06 AM »
Yesterday on IRC I was discussing shortly with Drake about Junko and Jouga (Chang'E ). I dove into various links (mainly the main wikipedia (not touhou)) and read the mythology regarding Houyi shooting down the suns. It was quite interesting thing to read. Though I have some questions. Please forgive me from jumping below in certain subjects, at the end of the post I will ask some ordered questions:

I want to start with Junko. I hate use wiki as sources but in the story of Houyi, the suns were 'sons' of Dijun. He ordered him to 'teach them a lesson' as they decided to all rise at the same time cause major issue. How the shooting happened I will put aside, but the fact remains he shot down 9 suns (children). If Junko's son got shot down, it means she lost 9 children and not just one as it seems to report on the Touhou Wiki. Does this mean Junko is Dijun's wife? Dijun is mentioned to have two wives. And was Junko (called Xihe in the article) the Mother of the Suns? Would this explain her sorrow for losing her son and possibly generating that grudge?

Article also mentions 'Changxi' (Not Chang'E (Jouga)) but questioned to be her and thus also Dijun's wife. This would make it odd if such was the case. I mean, Jouga can't be both Houyi and Dijun's wife. The hate towards Jouga seems very odd since it was her own husband who ordered the discipline of the 10 sons but they ended getting shot. Plus, it is also said that Dijun himself was angry of this and thus stripped Houyi of his heavenly immortality and sentenced him down to earth as a mortal. Only after some quests on earth he was granted the Hourai Elixer as exchange. Two of them, which his wife Jouga eventually drank and ascended to the moon.

Right so now down to my questions, but I need to mention few things before that:
- I sense that Houyi had no wife at the time of his heavenly immortality. Because Jouga is mentioned nowhere when the shooting of the suns happen.
- Jouga is mentioned after Houyi was punished mortal life.
- Jouga drank the elixers and ascended to the moon. (Article mentions various reasons, but the fact remains she drank them both)

Now here is what bothers me:
  • Is Junko the Mother of Suns? Or is that Changxi? Dijun had two wives and 10 sons. Or is the Mother of Sons none of two? What is going on?
  • If Junko is somehow filled with hate and grudge due to losing her "sons", wouldn't that have been at the time her sons got shot down?
  • Dijun already punished Houyi for this by stripping his "god status". Even though I would assume Junko to be unpleased with this and kept her grudge for murdering her sons.
  • Jouga gained immortal life due to the elixer. And Houyi died I assume.

Does this mean Junko always had a grudge on Houyi and everything he related to? Would this indicate that as Houyi died, she moved her hate/grudge to Jouga, who actually should've been mortal but became immortal? So it is like eternal shoved blame on Jouga?

This quite fascinates + confuses me at the same time.

Wiki article source about Houyi and story of shooting the 9 suns: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houyi
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:52:52 AM by Helepolis »

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2016, 04:13:35 PM »
I thought Junko's son and the suns were two completely separate things, and that the suns were only relevant to Hecatia for the darkness of Hell.

For what i could understand from Reisen's ending,
Spoiler:
Houyi has been married to both Junko and Chang'e. The triangle-scheme-thing indicates that Junko had a son with him, then Houyi killed him because, to use Eirin's words, his wife (Chang'e) had "an evil gift". If the killed son was Houyi and Junko's son, it couldn't have been Dijun's son as well. Afer Junko killed Houyi, her grudge went completely towards Chang'e and the Lunarians, so she started to repeatedly attack the Capital. Unless i'm missing something, we don't know how long Junko's grudge has been going on before LoLK.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 04:16:05 PM by PK »

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2016, 08:47:24 AM »
Not sure if this is the thread to ask, but I've seen a similar question here before.

What font does ZUN use for the boss names that appear in the top left corner of the screen (where the boss's health is above it and the number of spellcards are below it)?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2016, 12:02:34 PM »
I thought Junko's son and the suns were two completely separate things, and that the suns were only relevant to Hecatia for the darkness of Hell.

For what i could understand from Reisen's ending,
Spoiler:
Houyi has been married to both Junko and Chang'e. The triangle-scheme-thing indicates that Junko had a son with him, then Houyi killed him because, to use Eirin's words, his wife (Chang'e) had "an evil gift". If the killed son was Houyi and Junko's son, it couldn't have been Dijun's son as well. Afer Junko killed Houyi, her grudge went completely towards Chang'e and the Lunarians, so she started to repeatedly attack the Capital. Unless i'm missing something, we don't know how long Junko's grudge has been going on before LoLK.
I am not quite sure if I am following your post or it reflects LoLK and/or Junko's speculative profile. Neither sure about Reisen's ending. Is Houyi even mentioned in there? Or Dijun?

My post was mainly analysing the story of Houyi shooting the 9 suns. In the mythology, Dijun is the father of the suns. Xihe and Changxi are mentioned as wives. The Mother of Sons is mentioned as a title, not linked to Xihe or Changxi.

« Reply #178 on: February 11, 2016, 12:40:05 PM »
Recently I heard that the title of Marisa in FS,"Extremely Ordinary Magician", sounds very suspicious, is possible that after years of using and studying Magic Marisa has become a youkai maybe whitout fully realizing that herself ? Also her title in touhou 3 and 4,"A Being made of Magic and Red Dream", sounds like to suggest that she was something non-human even then (if you treat the pc-98 as Canon), what do you think about it ?

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2016, 01:58:25 PM »
Neither sure about Reisen's ending. Is Houyi even mentioned in there? Or Dijun?
Well, there's this thing.