Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating  (Read 196541 times)

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
Re: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2015, 11:14:48 PM »
Who would be the best opposite of Reimu ? I think it's Rika because I see Rika as determined as Reimu and instead of using occult/magic thing, she uses science. I don't see Marisa as the opposite of Reimu at all but as a friendly rival.
While Reimu is relying on her yin yang orbs, Rika relies on her machines/tank.

Who do you think is the opposite of Reimu ?

There's the Marisa answer above; but there's another one:

Sanae.

Sanae is a dutiful shrine maiden. Reimu is not to the degree her god has actually abandoned her shrine.
Reimu is very friendly to youkai [When they are not causing trouble.]. Sanae is not, and is openly excited about exterminating them.
Reimu is level-headed. Sanae quite frequently shows signs of either air-headedness or mild insanity.
Reimu is from Gensokyo, which is basically stuck in the past. Sanae is from the Outside World and modern day.
Reimu relies heavily upon her talent [And things like sealing needles/talismans. She hardly ever uses actual divine powers]. Sanae almost entirely relies upon the power of her Gods, and if she's not using their divine powers she's using her own power of miracles; which is full on divine too.
Reimu is human. Sanae technically is not. [She is a Demigod. Well; not a Demi [Half] god but you get the idea.]
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:17:57 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Marron

• Ordinary crow
« Reply #121 on: December 14, 2015, 05:52:43 PM »
Ah yes, I find Sanae a great exemple of what an opposite of Reimu can be. She's a great opposite while having the "same job". Seeing things like that, she really is the opposite of Reimu concerning almost everything.

I have another question. Why some person of gensokyo says that Yuuka looks like Reimu ?(mostly in POFV) Are they obly talking about the color of the dress or something ? Even Vivit asks Yuuka if she met her before, apparently, she would be talking about Reimu. What is the basis of this ? Do you think Yuuka and Reimu shares many similarities ?

Also, I wonder why Yuuka oftenly play the ambiguous person about the "human" thing, saying "treating people like youkai . . ." or Shinki saying "Though you're a human !". Maybe it can be explained because peoples confound the two of them, but that's another story.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2015, 09:33:42 PM »
Reimu is very friendly to youkai [When they are not causing trouble.]. Sanae is not, and is openly excited about exterminating them.
Reimu isn't really friendly towards youkai. She just doesn't really care about either youkai or humans. Like clastre said, she's quite antisocial. She is frequently shown to be  annoyed at youkai hanging around the shrine since they scare humans away, and likely only wants humans around so that they can donate to the shrine.
Reimu is level-headed. Sanae quite frequently shows signs of either air-headedness or mild insanity.
Kinda debatable. Sanae was acting quite off her rocker in touhou 11 and 12, yeah, but ever since 12.3 (where she even chews Suwako out for doing sneaky stuff) she has toned it down quite a bit. She's more airheaded than Reimu, yeah, but going by her recent game and manga appearances, saying she has "mild insanity" is kinda pushing it. Also, calling Reimu "shoot first, ask questions second, care about the answers never" Hakurei "level-headed" is a bit of a stretch as well. I mean, she has a pretty damn short-fuse :V

A better contrast between them might be their different dispositions; Reimu is usually shown as grumpy/generally apathetic in the mangas, while Sanae frequently appears quite chipper and cheerful.

I have another question. Why some person of gensokyo says that Yuuka looks like Reimu ?(mostly in POFV) Are they obly talking about the color of the dress or something ? Even Vivit asks Yuuka if she met her before, apparently, she would be talking about Reimu. What is the basis of this ? Do you think Yuuka and Reimu shares many similarities ?

Also, I wonder why Yuuka oftenly play the ambiguous person about the "human" thing, saying "treating people like youkai . . ." or Shinki saying "Though you're a human !". Maybe it can be explained because peoples confound the two of them, but that's another story.
I assume it's just because they both wear red, and in PoFV it might just be a nod to the occasions that happened before.

And Yuuka probably does that because she's canonicaly an unpleasnat youkai that enjoys lying to people for her own amusement.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 11:01:40 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2015, 10:28:26 PM »
And Yuuka probably does that because she's canonicaly an asshole that likes to lie to annoy people for shits and giggles :V
You can make interpretations about canon without being offensive, you know.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2015, 11:01:43 PM »
You can make interpretations about canon without being offensive, you know.
You're right, I apologize. I've changed the wording in my post.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2015, 01:38:16 AM »
Also, calling Reimu "shoot first, ask questions second, care about the answers never" Hakurei "level-headed" is a bit of a stretch as well. I mean, she has a pretty damn short-fuse :V
Thats also debatable, EVERYONE in Gensokyo has a shoot first policy, and Reimu seems really only pissed on certain occasions, sure she's not "level-headed" but i would say she is at least somewhat "Layed Back", i mean when she's not solving a incident or trying to scam people out of their money, she's usually sitting on her ass getting drunk as hell and laughing at some dumb jokes, or just laughing at some dumb joke with her pal Marisa. Sure, sometimes she is a bitch, but sometimes she not, basically, shes a Teenager.

Also Reimu DOES like Sukia, sure she's kind of Youkai racist, but she does at the very least see Sukia as a drinking buddy.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2015, 01:46:30 AM »
Reimu is indifferent to everyone, both humans and youkai. That's why she's apathetic and antisocial. However, her job requires her to be antagonistic to youkai (despite her personal feelings), so whenever anyone might be looking she tightens the screws. When no one's looking though, they can do whatever the heck they want as long as they don't bother her.

Her "friendship" with Suika has been greatly exaggerated by the fandom. Suika just stayed over at the shrine for a while, I don't think she's there anymore. Suika's a roamer in general: she also hung out in heaven for a bit after SWR and presumably moved on to something else later.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:17:21 AM by Clarste »

« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2015, 02:02:27 AM »
Her "friendship" with Suika has been greatly exaggerated by the fandom. Suika just stayed over at the shrine for a while, I don't think she's there anymore. Suika a roamer in general: she also hung out in heaven for a bit after SWR and presumably moved on to something else later.
Huh, so i guess Reimu's only "friends" are Marisa and sort of kind of Kasen and sort of kind of Sanae, kind of sad if you think about it, but then again Raymoo did sort of bring it on herself.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2015, 02:20:13 AM »
Well, Reimu routinely has drinking parties with pretty much everyone so it's not like she's a complete loner, she just doesn't seem particularly close to Suika.

Marron

• Ordinary crow
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2015, 01:09:30 PM »
What you're saying reminds me of Sengoku Gensokyo, a fan game where Yukari is in fact worried about Reimu because Reimu is always alone in her heart. Since then, I've always thinked that Yukari is right when she's saying that.
After all, you can know many people and sometimes visit them without really being friends with them. You're just on good terms with them. That's exactly how I see Reimu, not too close to other yet not cold to them.
She's not intolerant about youkai and does her job because she has to do it but Reimu doesn't really care if someone's a youkai or human. She's lonely and she lives it well.(or at least, she seems to be)

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2015, 07:13:14 PM »
Technical question incoming:

About ZUN's terms of service, does it follow closely the system of an actual copyright license (eg. Creative Commons)? My biggest interest is the part that prevents "commercial"/"mass-produced"/"mass-distributed" works.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2015, 09:14:11 PM »
Technical question incoming:

About ZUN's terms of service, does it follow closely the system of an actual copyright license (eg. Creative Commons)? My biggest interest is the part that prevents "commercial"/"mass-produced"/"mass-distributed" works.

I highly recommend reading this thread, which may have the answers you need. If not, I hope someone who actual knows copyright law responds to you - that is, if you cannot find the information yourself. This is kinda one of those things you don't want to speculate and guess about.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2015, 12:10:49 AM »
I highly recommend reading this thread, which may have the answers you need. If not, I hope someone who actual knows copyright law responds to you - that is, if you cannot find the information yourself. This is kinda one of those things you don't want to speculate and guess about.
Actually, maybe i do need someone who knows about law. Leave 2hu aside for a while, and suppose that, hypothetically, me or some other wants to make a model like ZUN's, and be backed by actual law.

« Reply #133 on: December 17, 2015, 12:20:11 AM »
Well, unless you're planning to do whatever it is in Japan, modeling it after ZUN would be pretty meaningless anyway.

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2015, 02:29:55 AM »
Are Hecatia's Moon and Spirit World bodies known as Hecatia Peridot and Hecatia Garnet respectively or is that just something cooked up by a Steven Universe fan?

« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2015, 02:54:02 AM »
There is no information on this subject.

Drake

« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2015, 03:08:46 AM »
peridot is green anyways so it isn't even accurate

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2015, 05:58:42 AM »
Yeah its just some dumb steven universe fan with a dumb headcanon. Ignore him.

Phantasmal

• I'm good at breaking the forum rules on accident..
« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2015, 04:35:41 AM »
Any news on Tofu 16? ZUN has been working hard recently, so it's understandable if he wants to take a break, but, is there any news? Anything at all?

Drake

« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2015, 06:26:29 AM »
LoLK came out four months ago. Calm down bud!

Most of ZUN's efforts right now are prooobably going towards the various running written works, considering Fairies is starting up again plus he's going for the next Strange Creators volume in Spring.

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2015, 02:14:41 PM »
I have a question about kegare/impurity. So, it's a Shinto concept, something undesirable linked to the process of life and death including birth, illness, menstruation, death.

Now, does it limit itself to bioligical matters, or also to the actions/thoughts of people? Searching for the term pretty much always leads to the same source, whereas our THwiki mentions emotions like anger, and i find that the Persona series has a similar idea, but both are pieces of fiction with their own systems.

Drake

« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2015, 05:02:59 AM »
Tsumi is more related to actions (in and of themselves) and thoughts than kegare, which is more associated with natural occurrences like disaster, disease, injury (i.e. bleeding), and matters to do with death. Often kegare is seen as transmissible as well, and this follows in the Touhou universe. Tsumi would be one more usually translated as sin, whereas kegare is more of defilement, in a sense.

Hannibal_Kills

• To Hell and Beyond
  • I don't give a damn about rules...
« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2016, 11:11:51 AM »
Short off-topic question:
Who the hell in the Internet invented the word 'necro'ing'? Which means posting a message in an old rotten topic (from what I understand). And all I can think of when I heard this is Yukari typing a message in the first MotK topic.

Also, sorry if this is question is not suitable in this section. If only there was a Miscellaneous Questions thread in Shrinemaiden Cafe that would be great.

A Hellcat went down the Hell's Highway after the Battle for Caen, "Byou". - Hannibal

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #143 on: January 01, 2016, 12:33:46 PM »
"Necro" is a Greek word meaning "death", we use it as a prefix. For example necromancy. Originally necromancy meant divination, specifically by using the death (such as contacting ghosts) (things ending with "-mancy" refers to methods of divination, the prefix refers to the method used, like fire, the clouds, minerals, etc). Now necromancy refers to fictional magic which permits manipulation of the death, like reviving them, making them slaves, invoking death upon enemies.

Necroing, or necroposting, refers to the latter definition, where one poster "revives" a "death" thread by making a post weeks/months after the last one, thus bumpting the thread to the first page.

« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2016, 04:29:29 PM »
Yea, necromancy is raising the dead, but not as an actual ressurection.  Instead what you get is an icky rotting undead thing.

Honestly not sure what other word could be used for raising up a dead rotten thread that people really shouldn't be caring about anymore.  "Necro" is pretty much exactly what's going on when someone does that.  I wouldn't be too surprised if there wasn't any singular creator for "necro" but instead that lots of different people just decided that was the right word for it, because I sure as heck can't think of any better or more accurate word for the action.

Hannibal_Kills

• To Hell and Beyond
  • I don't give a damn about rules...
« Reply #145 on: January 03, 2016, 10:08:49 AM »
I wonder if that usually happens around here (Of course yes, every forum experienced it). By the way, the Internet's English usage is full of weirdness that it could be unofficially declared another type of English. :derp:   

A Hellcat went down the Hell's Highway after the Battle for Caen, "Byou". - Hannibal

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2016, 05:26:28 PM »
I wonder if that usually happens around here

Happens regularly, but it's usually done by brand new users whose posts still need staff approval, so the necropost is deleted before anyone can see it.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2016, 03:28:10 AM »
How do i edit the touhou wiki?
I was going to add infomation to the Prismriver's pages. But i can't seem to edit the pages.

« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2016, 03:45:24 AM »
I believe they require you to create an account, which also requires mod approval. Or something like that.

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2016, 02:10:56 AM »
Why is Sakuya in DDC, other than fan demand?