Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating  (Read 196516 times)

PK

• Border of Whatever
Re: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2015, 07:29:30 PM »
Regarding shinigami not being the ones who kill hermits and celestials, is there a possibility that they actually do it for celestials? When Komachi fights Tenshi, Tenshi says that shinigami are one of the few things celestials fear, and that she already fought them before.
If she only said celestials fear shinigami, i'd suppose it's just because they represent death and not because they kill, but since she also claims that she already fought them to extend her life, maybe reaper shinigami exist after all?

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2015, 03:03:32 PM »
For those of you who can read japanese, I was wondering if there were any relevant information that ZUN has said during those interviews below and if yes, what were they, please?

- http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Febri/Ten_Desires_and_Touhou_Project_interview_with_ZUN_Part1 /2
- http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Febri/Fairy_Wars_interview_with_ZUN

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2015, 06:52:43 PM »
Regarding shinigami not being the ones who kill hermits and celestials, is there a possibility that they actually do it for celestials? When Komachi fights Tenshi, Tenshi says that shinigami are one of the few things celestials fear, and that she already fought them before.
If she only said celestials fear shinigami, i'd suppose it's just because they represent death and not because they kill, but since she also claims that she already fought them to extend her life, maybe reaper shinigami exist after all?

In WaHH, Komachi said that shinigami don't even collect souls, since souls move to Higan on their own after death. And if the Ministry really wants someone dead they'd send a Kishin instead. While it's possible there's some weird exception for Celestials, I think the more likely explanation is that the shinigami are testing them to see if they're worthy of their immortality. Remember that shinigami not collecting souls is supposed to be a secret, so Tenshi may not have realized that they were just testing her and actually thought she was fighting for her life.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:58:44 PM by Clarste »

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2015, 07:36:44 PM »
So I was looking at the character mottos in PoFV and noticed that there were some idioms being translated literally. I tried to make the translations more, well, idiomatic, but then I came to Merlin's.

It's 高山流水, currently translated as "Alpine Stream". A Japanese dictionary gives me "High mountains and running water; the beauty of nature; beautifully (skilfully) played music", while a Chinese one gives me "intimate and understanding friend; sublime musical composition". Taking the Chinese version rather loosely... would "Play By the Same Tune" make sense here?
For that matter the other two Prismrivers both have the motto 光彩陸離 - I'm not sure if it was originally like that or just a transcription error.

Yuuka's motto also has me puzzled. Komachi's and Eiki's are readable I guess but they could be more clear.

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2015, 07:39:32 PM »
I remember when I played the demo using thcrap that there were some differences between the stories, namely whether the main character drank Eirin's medicine. I don't see any differences in the story now that I'm playing the full version through thcrap though. Am I just recalling things incorrectly or doesn't anyone else remember this, I would check myself but for some reason thcrap doesn't work on the demo or me atm.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
  • I feed on your tears...
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2015, 10:03:53 PM »
Small question: In Junko's dialogue, she calls herself a 仙霊 (translated as sagacious spirit). What exactly is that? We're trying to find a good French translation for it, and are just coming short.
Thanks!
I stared into the abyss, and the abyss didn't stare back. Even the void doesn't want to be my friend :(

Now working with Touhou-Online in French

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2015, 03:04:12 AM »
I remember when I played the demo using thcrap that there were some differences between the stories, namely whether the main character drank Eirin's medicine. I don't see any differences in the story now that I'm playing the full version through thcrap though. Am I just recalling things incorrectly or doesn't anyone else remember this, I would check myself but for some reason thcrap doesn't work on the demo or me atm.

Two things first; you can find out any differences on the touhou wiki, and there is a miscellaneous questions thread for things like this. You don't have to make a whole topic for it.

Junko's dialogue is different based on your mode, and you get a different ending based on your mode. Also, if you get through Legacy without dying once, the game treats you as if you'd been playing on Point Device (as far as story goes).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:54:17 AM by Tengukami »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Drake

« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2015, 04:05:23 AM »
Nobody knows whether it has particular relation to divine spirits (神霊) or hermits (仙人). It's just what Junko calls herself so there might not really be much meaning to it. "Sagacious" would have come from "sage" being an alternate translation of "hermit". Avis? ou sagace sont probablement assez correctes? Je ne sais pas si on a un vocabulaire plus "fantastique" que cela.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:09:19 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

kevin1127

• 古明地こいし is cute and beautiful!!
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2015, 04:38:23 AM »
Isn't her profile says divine spirit? (種族:神霊)

Drake

« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2015, 06:24:27 AM »
She is classified as a divine spirit, yes. The relevant line in her dialogue is 私の名は純狐、月の民に仇なす仙霊である, or "My name is Junko. A [仙霊] bearing a grudge against the people of the Moon".

« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2015, 10:16:46 PM »
Two things first; you can find out any differences on the touhou wiki, and there is a miscellaneous questions thread for things like this. You don't have to make a whole topic for it.

Junko's dialogue is different based on your mode, and you get a different ending based on your mode. Also, if you get through Legacy without dying once, the game treats you as if you'd been playing on Point Device (as far as story goes).

I didn't realize there was a misc question thread, thanks for pointing out that there are differences on stage 6 also.

I did check the Touhou Wiki before posting this by the way, I just didn't check past stage 3 since the demo didn't go past stage 3. It's probably that I'm just remembering it completely wrong but I was sure that in the demo Doremy Sweet's dialogue was different depending on the gamemode, but that was 001a and an earlier version of the translation.

Out of curiosity are those 1CCs in your signature? I only ask because Flan is one of the only extras I've beaten and I can't imagine SA with no continues on hard, let alone lunatic.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:54:41 AM by Tengukami »

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
  • I feed on your tears...
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2015, 03:36:14 AM »
Nobody knows whether it has particular relation to divine spirits (神霊) or hermits (仙人). It's just what Junko calls herself so there might not really be much meaning to it. "Sagacious" would have come from "sage" being an alternate translation of "hermit". Avis? ou sagace sont probablement assez correctes? Je ne sais pas si on a un vocabulaire plus "fantastique" que cela.
Alright thanks! I wasn't sure if her calling herself 仙霊 was in any way related to being a divine spirit, like it said in the article, a person reaching godhood. So, I thought, maybe she was an hermit of some sort that became this way in death, hence why she called herself a sagacious spirit. Et oui, on a ?t? avec "sagage", c'?tait celui le plus pr?s du sens des kanjis. Merci encore!
I stared into the abyss, and the abyss didn't stare back. Even the void doesn't want to be my friend :(

Now working with Touhou-Online in French

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2015, 11:12:27 PM »
Are moon rabbits considered youkai? I'd always assumed so, but lately, more and more information has come up that has made me start questioning this.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2015, 02:29:01 AM »
Are moon rabbits considered youkai? I'd always assumed so, but lately, more and more information has come up that has made me start questioning this.

They don't seem to be, especially as of LoLK.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2015, 11:19:06 PM »
Does anyone know what the standards of hygiene are in this period, in the history of Japan, that Gensokyo is set in? If they took showers, if they did, how they did it. In rivers? I know that washing clothes in rivers has been around since forever in Asia. I assume the Japanese also used outhouses? Did it also involve pigs?
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2015, 11:49:07 AM »
Any fugue Touhou arrangements out there? I know there's one based on Flandre's theme (sort of).

« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2015, 04:41:50 PM »
Try searching 東方 フーガ

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2015, 03:04:23 AM »
In the mangas, Reimu does a bunch of shrine maiden-ey stuff like summoning gods and spirits, but she's never used these abilities in the games. Is there a particular reason for this, or is simply a case of "it just hasn't happened?" Spirit summoning would make an interesting game mechanic imo.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Drake

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2015, 04:19:18 AM »
Yeah but you can't exactly generalize that to other characters

Does anyone know what the standards of hygiene are in this period, in the history of Japan, that Gensokyo is set in? If they took showers, if they did, how they did it. In rivers? I know that washing clothes in rivers has been around since forever in Asia. I assume the Japanese also used outhouses? Did it also involve pigs?
Well one thing is that Gensokyo isn't reflective of a single era, especially now that we have various factions explicitly from various eras, e.g. Taoist faction from the Asuka period, Myouren faction from the Heian period, etc. Gensokyo was sealed at the very beginning of the Meiji period, coming off from the Edo period, so one would assume technology hasn't advanced much since then (but it has, in a sense), but around that time the first simple water pipe and sewage systems were being built, even if it wasn't widely adopted until much later. Wooden basins were used to wash faces, hair, etc, as well as clothes for which there were kinds of wooden washboards. Communal bath houses were also a thing throughout Edo.

« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2015, 02:02:34 PM »
Yeah but you can't exactly generalize that to other characters
Not really; it could just fall under the generic category of "character-specific ability," e.g. Reimu with summoning things, Sakuya with timestop, Sanae invoking snakes/frogs/Moriya science, Marisa doing whatever because she's Marisa.
Could be implemented as an alternate bomb, could be implemented as a meter-based special power, etc.

Besides it's ZUN he's implemented stranger mechanics before.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 02:05:57 PM by shockdude »
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2015, 09:56:11 PM »
Is there anyone currently in the process of translating (Eng-translation) the ongoing 'Strange Creators of Outer World' magazine (at least the ZUN interview)?

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2015, 10:46:01 AM »
Is there anyone currently in the process of translating (Eng-translation) the ongoing 'Strange Creators of Outer World' magazine (at least the ZUN interview)?
I would also be interested in the introduction for beginners, especially regarding the barrier (since it came out relatively often in this last period). Anyone knows if there are things that got retconned/confirmed/denied?

Drake

« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2015, 03:01:53 AM »
I really want to go over it at some point, just for a rough translation that could be worked on later, but I've been really busy lately and haven't had the time :/

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2015, 05:51:35 PM »
How is Suiki's (not Suika) name written in japanese?

Drake

« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2015, 10:05:45 PM »
水鬼, lit. water oni

« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2015, 11:02:13 AM »
Not sure where to post this but there's a paid Touhou game on the app store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magus-run/id886904612?mt=8

Is this legal?

Drake

« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2015, 04:39:31 PM »
This is a very fun, awesome game to pass the time and for road trips. HOWEVER it's as what others say, things "need" to be fixed. For one the Coin Store to purchase more coins is no longer working and that it'll crash the game if attempted. I thought maybe reinstalling it would work, but that clear made things worse....I've lost EVERYTHING... $20 ripped off... I solely wish and demand a refund from my purchases and I want my data back, because if the Coin Store is not working anytime soon, I WILL sue the creator. I'm sorry... But justice "must" be made for this! >_<***
This isn't a request; this is an absolute order...
can people actually be this dumb

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2015, 04:50:05 PM »
You, sir, have no idea. :V

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2015, 12:27:28 AM »
What do you guys think Sunny Milk eats? She has ONE tooth. Other than liquids, I don't think she can eat anything else.
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra