Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating  (Read 198082 times)

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
Re: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating
« Reply #780 on: July 29, 2017, 11:20:40 AM »
I guess everyone will call whatever name that is shorter in case of Murasa or Sukuna.

For Kosuzu, I guess calling her Motoori is funnier? I mean, has anyone here called her properly in all syllables as "Moh-Toh-Oh-Ri" or just say "Muturi," which is kinda hilarious.

« Reply #781 on: July 29, 2017, 11:34:17 AM »
Almost everybody calls UFO's 4th stage boss 'Murasa', too.  I think it comes from the fact that one name is shorter than the other (Much like Shinmyoumaru), thus people refer to the easier-to-spell name to avoid blunders. 

Frankly tho I never saw anyone calling Kosuzu by her last name.
Murasa also has her boss theme "Captain Murasa", so that name stuck more to fans' minds.

I also never see anyone call Kosuzu by her last name.

Drake

« Reply #782 on: July 29, 2017, 03:43:03 PM »
Murasa is on purpose because she's addressed in universe that way already.

Sukuna instead of Shinmyoumaru is only because people figure that the "longer" name is the family name and don't check. Yoshika is also often called Miyako because people think Miyako sounds more like a given name, I guess. Calling Kosuzu "Motoori" is just silly and similarly sounds like they just have no idea.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #783 on: July 31, 2017, 04:48:59 AM »
Hey Summers, I know we've asked you before to put these one-off random questions in the Misc Questions thread. Really appreciate it if you could start doing that.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #784 on: July 31, 2017, 09:34:03 AM »
And with that said, this thread will be merged with the Misc thread.

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #785 on: July 31, 2017, 01:38:59 PM »
Hey Summers, I know we've asked you before to put these one-off random questions in the Misc Questions thread. Really appreciate it if you could start doing that.

Thanks for the reminder. I will.
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

« Reply #786 on: July 31, 2017, 04:08:48 PM »
What martial arts style does Hong Meiling do? It's hard to tell from her little sprite. Wondering if there is any official lore bits confirming.

« Reply #787 on: July 31, 2017, 05:15:39 PM »
Tai Chi Chuan, canonically.

However her sprites don't actually resemble anything like a real martial art, and is just looks like random cool martial art moves, i've been told.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:42:37 PM by the old guy »
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #788 on: August 02, 2017, 04:33:10 PM »
This is more thinking of something from a side-on perspective.

Mokou. It's unlikely that she had her Fire-powers before drinking the Hourai Elixir [She was stated to be an 'ordinary human'].

In addition; PMSS states Mokou is actually skilled in all sorts of sorcery; due to her long life; which suggests that Mokou's Fire-abilities were learnt not inherent. She just has a preference for fire. [Indeed; in IN; many of her spellcards have nothing to do with fire.]

Here's where the more lateral thinking comes in.

When Mokou's spells are broken; she dies. She of course; immediately respawns, and -Ressurection- appears on the screen where a spellcard name would be. However this also happens if you time out Mokou's spells.

This makes me wonder. Is Mokou using 'Blood Magic'; as in; magic powered by her own life? IN seems to suggest this with her literally dying if you time her out. She used up so much magic that she dies [As overuse of 'blood magic']. It's a perfect strategy for an immortal like Mokou; after all. Especially with her being an 'ordinary human'. She might not have much natural magical energy to even use.

Also bear in mind her Grimore of Marisa sigil. It's a heart; aflame; with wings.

It just seems like an interesting take on Mokou's abilities; they're effectively 'cast from hitpoints'. I'd kinda like to hear what other people have to say about it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:39:12 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

« Reply #789 on: August 02, 2017, 07:22:52 PM »
It's kind of true, but not as direct as "cast from your life force" or anything like that. Since Mokou doesn't have to worry about dying, she just really over-exerts herself to the point that she dies. She just really goes all out. The most famous use of this is her setting herself on fire or blowing herself up, but she also tends to starve herself to death outside of battle.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #790 on: August 02, 2017, 07:53:13 PM »
During IN you actually blow her up tho, i doubt she'd die so easily on her own after each spellcard.

« Reply #791 on: August 02, 2017, 09:23:21 PM »
Based from what happens on ULiL and taking that in a more realistic consideration, it wouldn't be far fetched to say that she's using her own life forced (HP) to cast/power up her spells. 

By that same logic, her ressurection would be like that Pillar of fire Move she does, she basically burns herself away and then ressurects with newfound vigor.  I guess that she basically refreshes her body (to a point, since even ingame she mentions that after a while she can't take it anymore) and keeps fighting.

It's also interesting to notice that before her final spellcard she ressurects 3 times.  Maybe she starts having trouble ressurecting properly after a while? 

Kuriz

• Flying Gatekeeper of no real significance
  • Watch out for my my Special Attack MOVE!
« Reply #792 on: August 02, 2017, 09:27:30 PM »
I got a question regarding PC-98 Reimu and Marisa's footwear. Dead meme incoming! WHAT ARE THOOOOOOOOSE!?

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #793 on: August 02, 2017, 09:54:05 PM »
I got a question regarding PC-98 Reimu and Marisa's footwear. Dead meme incoming! WHAT ARE THOOOOOOOOSE!?

PC-98 Reimu appears to be barefoot in some portrayals [Touhou 4]; or wearing small; white boots in others [TH05 cover]. Sometimes it's just unclear.

PC-98 Marisa appears to be wearing white boots with a frilly top in Touhou 4. Everything else is too unclear or not shown.

During IN you actually blow her up tho, i doubt she'd die so easily on her own after each spellcard.

https://youtu.be/5buwO6erR5o?t=1m57s

You can clearly see; even timed out; Mokou dies at the end of her spellcard.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #794 on: August 02, 2017, 11:27:08 PM »
It's kind of true, but not as direct as "cast from your life force" or anything like that. Since Mokou doesn't have to worry about dying, she just really over-exerts herself to the point that she dies. She just really goes all out. The most famous use of this is her setting herself on fire or blowing herself up, but she also tends to starve herself to death outside of battle.
This. There's a lot of factors (including pain and unwillingness to hurt others) that prevent people from using their full strength in most situations, and Mokou shows a lot of signs of overcoming them - in WaHH she even does the "karate chop through a brick" thing without a moment of preparation. Though I'd say it's reasonable to assume that she can do the spiritual equivalent as well.

I like the Gensou Shoujo Taisen animation where she punches so hard that her hand disintegrates.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:30:27 PM by Prime32 »

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #795 on: August 03, 2017, 02:09:23 AM »
I'm fairly sure her deaths in IN are actually of her own doing and not the protagonists. In ULiL, she has to use her "set fire on herself" attack to heal the damage that using her other abilities causes her (which I think is a mechanic that represents her reckless abandon in using her abilities more than a "using lifeforce to fuel spells" thing, to be honest; it just seems to fit the character more imo). Thus, I think it stands to reason that she was doing the exact same thing back in IN. Her attacks, for one reason or another, hurt her own body, even when it's just danmaku, so from time to time (between spellcards, for example) she just blows herself up so that she can continue fighting with an undamaged body. The fact that she starts having trouble doing this near the end of her boss fight could mean it's a painful/tiring thing to do.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

« Reply #796 on: August 03, 2017, 02:38:12 AM »
I don't totally remember but I want to say that, while she can manipulate fire, she's not actually immune to it. I don't remember where I read that though so I might be pulling it out of nowhere. I'm totally certain that she still feels immense pain, so it makes sense that she'd get sick of fighting eventually. That I remember was in one of the IN extra ending dialogues.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

« Reply #797 on: August 03, 2017, 05:29:37 AM »
Speaking of which, when did Mokou get so associated with fire? It feels weird when I see IN Extra and see only 1/4 of her spellcards are fire-based.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #798 on: August 03, 2017, 05:36:15 AM »
25% of fire is a lot of fire.

Who else does 25% fire?

« Reply #799 on: August 03, 2017, 06:56:56 AM »
It's probably meant as a reference to Mount Fuji, which has where Kaguya left the Elixir.

Also she fucking wears red clothing.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #800 on: August 03, 2017, 11:56:48 AM »
She has a literal phoenix aura during each spellcard, for crying out loud!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #801 on: August 03, 2017, 02:37:58 PM »
Also all the fire puns she won't stop making.

« Reply #802 on: August 03, 2017, 02:54:27 PM »
Makes me wonder if Kaguya could use her ability to reverse the Hourai Elixer's effects... after all she does control Etarnity and the Instantaneous...
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #803 on: August 03, 2017, 03:18:48 PM »
Makes me wonder if Kaguya could use her ability to reverse the Hourai Elixer's effects... after all she does control Etarnity and the Instantaneous...

I don't think she can reverse what has already happened.
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
« Reply #804 on: August 03, 2017, 10:37:03 PM »
I don't think she can reverse what has already happened.

Debatable.
I believe that she could reverse it by making it "instantaneous" which is pretty much the opposite of eternity.

« Reply #805 on: August 03, 2017, 11:15:52 PM »
from what i understand her power is more like controlling the flow of time she can make it pass extremely fast or slow it to a halt. but there is no source of her being able to reverse the flow so it probably isn't possible for her to revert something to a previous state.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #806 on: August 04, 2017, 12:09:22 AM »
Don't quote me on this, but I think rather than just simply making her eternal, the elixir works by making her existence outright unerasable, therefore making her "always be" no matter what.

« Reply #807 on: August 04, 2017, 08:57:46 AM »
Plus let's face it, if she knew how to revert the Elixir's effects it's super likely that she'd've killed Mokou for good a long time ago.

Drake

« Reply #808 on: August 04, 2017, 09:54:22 AM »
Neither of them actually want each other to die anyways, though.

Not that this would be an argument for Kaguya being able to reverse the Elixir's effects, for which there's no reason to believe it even could be reversed.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #809 on: August 04, 2017, 06:55:02 PM »
Neither of them actually want each other to die anyways, though.

Huh, is that so?  It's honestly been a while since I read on the two (and admittedly I hear of so much fanart of them being happy friends or even downright lovers that my memory can't remember what's canon and what's not)

I was actually always curious about the true nature of their relationship.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 06:57:37 PM by Linnah »