Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating  (Read 196012 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating
« on: August 22, 2015, 11:17:46 PM »
Old thread here.

Here you can ask your random, one-off questions about different aspects of Touhou. Before asking your question, please consult the Touhou wiki to make sure your question cannot be answered through some easily verifiable means.

When answering, please try to cite canon to the best of your ability, and understand the difference between speculation/headcanon/fanon and stuff that is actual canon.

Fire when ready!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Re: Miscellaneous Questions 6: The Questionating
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 08:32:28 PM »
I've got a question about Sumireko.

I've read on the wiki that she has the power to manipulate psychic powers and some of her spell cards involve psychokinesis. So I was wondering, is there a chance that she could further evolve her powers? I was wanting to know if she could get to the level of, say, Starkiller from The Force Unleashed. I know that it might be a large stretch, but the seeds are there with her powers now. And I would also like to know if there is a possibility of her evolving other powers as well.

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 11:27:00 PM »
So regarding LoLK's extra stage, what does Doremy mean exactly by saying things to the Heroine such as "You wouldn't be seeing such a Lunatic Dream now"?

Admitedly, I don't understand much of what any of this dream world talk is about. 

kevin1127

• 古明地こいし is cute and beautiful!!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »
Just curious, which boss theme is the longest final boos theme? Junko's or Eikishiki's?
And speaking of which, Rikako has the longest music in Touhou, right?

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 11:49:51 PM »
Just curious, which boss theme is the longest final boos theme? Junko's or Eikishiki's?
And speaking of which, Rikako has the longest music in Touhou, right?
Rikako has the longest theme, at roughly 11:20 at 2 loops. Junko has the longest final boss theme at roughly 9:30 with 2 loops. Eiki is not 2nd place, that actually goes to Kokoro at roughly 8:45 with 2 loops. Eiki has roughly 8:30 with 2 loops.

I say roughly because my copies of the themes have fadeouts, and I'm not about to time each one myself.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:51:48 PM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

kevin1127

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 12:01:09 AM »
Rikako has the longest theme, at roughly 11:20 at 2 loops. Junko has the longest final boss theme at roughly 9:30 with 2 loops. Eiki is not 2nd place, that actually goes to Kokoro at roughly 8:45 with 2 loops. Eiki has roughly 8:30 with 2 loops.

I say roughly because my copies of the themes have fadeouts, and I'm not about to time each one myself.

Thanks for answering, didn't realize Kokoro's theme is that long.

Drake

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 03:11:17 AM »
So regarding LoLK's extra stage, what does Doremy mean exactly by saying things to the Heroine such as "You wouldn't be seeing such a Lunatic Dream now"?

Admitedly, I don't understand much of what any of this dream world talk is about.
If Doremy hadn't forwarded you to the Lunar Capital and instead made you fall into a dream back in Stage 3, you wouldn't be in the Extra Stage in another crazy dream where things try to beat you up.

I've read on the wiki that she has the power to manipulate psychic powers and some of her spell cards involve psychokinesis. So I was wondering, is there a chance that she could further evolve her powers? I was wanting to know if she could get to the level of, say, Starkiller from The Force Unleashed. I know that it might be a large stretch, but the seeds are there with her powers now. And I would also like to know if there is a possibility of her evolving other powers as well.
The thing with Sumireko that she's ultra chuunibyou and it's hard to even say if her powers are "real" in the sense of also existing for the Outside World. Even in the Outside World where you fight her, you're still fighting in a context where magic is considered real. But as far as Touhou goes, there's no real reason that her powers couldn't evolve. Main caution is just that most characters have their abilities increase pretty slowly -- the only one so far whose powers spontaneously improve is Maribel, or perhaps Kosuzu.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 08:58:42 AM »
What's with some people thinking that Shinki comes from hell?  Now some are associating her with Hecatia because of this.  I did read in the previous misc. questions and answers thread that Makai used to be translated as "hell" or something like that, but is there another reason to this?  I saw this on the Wiki:

"Due to her angelic and demonic elements, Shinki is sometimes considered to be a fallen angel, in particular an analogue to Lucifer or Satan (who was described as bright and beautiful, matching Shinki's name). Pand?monium, the capital of Makai, was the capital of Hell in Paradise Lost."

Has to do with that?

Thanks in advance!

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 04:02:11 AM »
I don't know if this has been asked before, but Hisoutensoku's arrangement of Voile, the Magic Library is almost quite literally just IaMP's version with a couple instrument swaps. Has it ever been said why this is the case? It just felt a little jarring, is all.

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 04:30:05 AM »
What's with some people thinking that Shinki comes from hell?  Now some are associating her with Hecatia because of this.  I did read in the previous misc. questions and answers thread that Makai used to be translated as "hell" or something like that, but is there another reason to this?  I saw this on the Wiki:

"Due to her angelic and demonic elements, Shinki is sometimes considered to be a fallen angel, in particular an analogue to Lucifer or Satan (who was described as bright and beautiful, matching Shinki's name). Pand?monium, the capital of Makai, was the capital of Hell in Paradise Lost."

Has to do with that?

Thanks in advance!

Makai is based on the Christian Hell with Pandaemonium and Shinki being Lucifer like you said, as well as the Lake of Ice (which is from Dante's Inferno).

Basically Makai is the Christian Hell and "Hell" is Buddhist Hell. I guess that's why? In HRtP Makai was mistranslated as Heaven, but I've never heard it called Hell until LoLK's release.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 02:08:11 PM »
Has ZUN ever said anything about Mamoru Samuragochi?

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
If Reimu can float away from reality, does this mean she can float towards other realities?
Could she use it for teleportation? 'Floating' towards abstract concepts and becoming a more personalized form of boundary manipulation? When floating 'away from reality', can she fly through physical objects?
Sounds simple on paper but when you think about it, Reimu's power is actually really vague - she can float away from reality, so is that neccesarily ALL it can do?

Also wasn't it explicitely stated somewhere Sakuya ISN'T a vampire?

Drake

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 05:19:08 AM »
"If Reimu can float away from reality, does this mean she can float towards other realities?"
No. Being able to "float away from reality" isn't a formal statement itself, it's just a description of what she does when using Fantasy Nature. "From reality" isn't even explicitly said in the original text, it just says "floats away from everything and becomes invincible".

"Could she use it for teleportation?"
She already does pseudo-teleportation by use of magical barriers.

"'Floating' towards abstract concepts and becoming a more personalized form of boundary manipulation?"
There's no evidence to suggest this is possible. "Floating away from everything" is already pretty out-there.

"When floating 'away from reality', can she fly through physical objects?"
Well yes, that's the whole point.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 08:09:30 AM »
Also wasn't it explicitely stated somewhere Sakuya ISN'T a vampire?

Well, she outright says she's a mortal human in IN Extra.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:11:50 AM by CyberAngel »

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 09:52:53 AM »
About Chang'e, was it ever confirmed that she actually became fully immortal? Could it be that she only toke the elixir once or twice, becoming "only" ageless and immune to illness?

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 03:57:55 PM »
http://blog.livedoor.jp/tohomemory/archives/45220006.html

I'm curious what is the reason for this and what it is about. Is Kosuzu advertising for something?

--

Also, I've read a few times that Forbidden Scrollery is fairly popular. Are there any numbers or estimates for that? (like the how many tankebons were sold or something)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:59:29 PM by Quwanti »

Camilo113

• Luck, Resilience and Perseverance
  • Gensokyo is capable of change
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 10:41:55 PM »
Has ZUN ever said anything about Mamoru Samuragochi?

No. I don't think he even cares.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/tohomemory/archives/45220006.html

I'm curious what is the reason for this and what it is about. Is Kosuzu advertising for something?

--

Also, I've read a few times that Forbidden Scrollery is fairly popular. Are there any numbers or estimates for that? (like the how many tankebons were sold or something)

I remember seen no too long ago (like 2 weeks ago) a Tankobon Sales List and it surprised me to see FS was so high. There were like 50 mangas in the list and FS was between 15 or 25 iirc; but I didn't save the image so I don't have any proof or an estimates of number. Sorry.
It was the Volume 4 by the way.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 02:21:43 PM »
Is it safe to assume that the power stone capable of materializing the urban legends, created by Sagume, is the lunar occult ball? I wanted to add it to the wiki but if we're not sure i won't bother.

Drake

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 02:39:50 AM »
The Power Stones are just Occult Balls. Sumireko called them Power Stones since they're found in Power Spots in the Outside World.

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 05:26:11 AM »
Also, all the Power Stones are capable of materializing urban legends: that's a game mechanic in ULiL.

kevin1127

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 05:27:55 AM »
What are the rules for manga spoilering in this forum? I don't really see a lot of manga discussion here so I don't know what's the policy.
I understand that there are only a few manga translator, but I mean there are many manga contents that are discussable.

Drake

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 05:36:41 AM »
I probably think about marking spoilers for about a month or so, I guess? But often times there are large discussions around a new chapter's contents (cough FS 25) so as far as I can tell it's case-by-case.

kevin1127

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 06:06:17 AM »
large discussions around a new chapter's contents (cough FS 25)
Do you mean in 4chan? Because that's the only place where I saw a huge discussion(read: bitching at Reimu) about FS 25 (aka my first time entering that fu*ked up website)
But I don't see that much FS 25 stuff in both MotK and reddit
often times there are large discussions
Probably because I am new, but FS 25 is the only "large" manga discussion I have known in English community...
I mean...
Spoiler:
Rinnosuke in FS? no one gives a fu*k..Satori and Rin in WaHH? I don't remember anyone has mentioned that yet..
Sumireko in WaHH with possible connection to ULiL and LoLK and explanation of dream? Oh yeah, only a few comments on Sumireko's school seat..
Or are there other places for such discussion?

Drake

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 06:52:49 AM »
I'm probably just biased because I reply to everyone

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 12:57:15 PM »
Also, all the Power Stones are capable of materializing urban legends: that's a game mechanic in ULiL.
Well, Sagume's profile seems to indicate that only the one she made is capable of materializing false rumors, since she made it specifically for that purpose.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 01:20:16 PM »
IIRC the Power Stones weren't supposed to do that, and only gained that property because of Sagume's interference.

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 08:26:12 PM »
Is it, like, common knowledge that civilian moon rabbits are literally regular, modern-looking people but with goofy rabbit ears?? Or am I just really, really late to the party here

edit: From the way people talked about them I assumed they were all like the Watatsukis' soldiers and were just, homogeneous like the Earth rabbits? But there's mom rabbits and grandpa rabbits and boy rabbits (?!) and they're literally just Us But Rabbit Ears, some of them are wearing t-shirts, im screaming
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:36:36 PM by gilde »

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 01:22:11 AM »
Would native gods be considered impure by lunarians? What about divine spirits?

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 02:32:27 AM »
Native gods seem to be made of impurity, or something like that. Suwako says that drinking the elixir in LoLK would have been a one-hit kill for her because it removes impurity from the drinker. And it leaves Sanae as a "clean human".

I would imagine divine spirits would be fine though, for at the very least the same reason that ghosts are.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 02:36:12 AM by Clarste »

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 09:19:34 PM »
Does anything in canon say who does the cooking in Eientei?
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi