Author Topic: [Art] Stuff I do when I'm bored  (Read 4897 times)

LunaWillow

• >Everyone: Pose as a team
  • The world is real.
[Art] Stuff I do when I'm bored
« on: August 17, 2015, 04:08:34 PM »
Um, hello?
I've been drawing a lot of stuff latelty, since I have a vacation and lots of free time, and I wanted to share my stuff with people.
I actually wanted to make this thread earlier, but there wasn't that much stuff I drew, and it wasn't that good...
Anyways, let's start by showing some of my stuff (I took pictures with camera, I don't have a scanner):

Old stuff:
Shiro - uhhh I'm showing this just for comprasion with my recent stuff. It was before I went into Touhou, just a year and several months ago. So atrocious

Flandre - I drew some stuff on covers for my notebooks, here's one of them. I was in the process of finding my style, and I inspirated myself by ZUN and alphes.

Shion - more recent. I drew a lot of stuff in my notebooks when bored in class, but I haven't uploaded much of it, there's one exeption. It took me a lot of time to do, because of that stuff in her back. Couple of hours, I bet, but I haven't been counting. In comprasion, first drawing I posted took five minutes

Reimu vs. Mima - outcome of my pastel experiments.

Recent stuff:
Reimu - first try with crayons. The outcome is rather satisfying. Every drawing afterwords is with crayons.

Youmu - more crayons. Youmu's fun to draw.

Sakuya - I made a series spanning all heroines.

Marisa - I pretty like this one. I like her boots, her broom, her dress... That's a good one.

Sanae - her anatomy is kinda bad...

Reisen - I dunno how to comment these drawings

So I think that's enough for beginning I'm too lazy to post the rest. Please, tell me what you think, what I should improve, etc.
If anyone has a request, I'd gladly take one.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: PoFV
Extra Clear: PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF
Other Stuff: ISC all clear

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
Re: [Art] Stuff I do when I'm bored
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 05:57:02 PM »
Welcome to the boredom party. Isn't it great? Boredom is ambition.
Looking at your stuff, I did not know you could do that with crayons.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 04:42:54 PM »
Welcome to the boredom party. Isn't it great? Boredom is ambition.
Looking at your stuff, I did not know you could do that with crayons.
Boredom is love, boredom is life
Thanks! Crayons can do pretty neat stuff if you know how to use them.

I have some drawings I made in advance, so I'll post it in waves, I guess

Before LoLK, I was really hyped and I drew whole demo crew.
Seiran
Ringo
Doremy

Personally, I find rabbits quite nice, but I think I kind of failed at Doremy.

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 05:30:28 PM »
Some more old stuff I saved.
I'm in a very weird state now, as I don't really want to draw. And just several days ago I drew whenever I could. I hope my willpower comes back...

Anyway.

Yorihime
Toyohime
Sumireko

I drew Watatsukis 'cause I thought they'll appear in LoLK and read SSiB. Sumireko was a request from my brother.

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 05:21:16 PM »
I had a break of sorts..?
Rest of LoLK cast.

Sagume
Clownpiece
Junko
Hecatia

Hecatia is more recent than others. I caught willpower loss somewhere after Junko, but it's back, and I'm already preparing lots of new stuff!

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 03:16:22 PM »
Um, I'm back?
I made some Treasure Castle Labyrinth stuff, so I'm posting it. It's technically a Touhou fangame so I guess I can post it here.
Whoa, two weeks without posting, I'm so lazy

Tsumugi
San
Seki

I don't draw too much because school.

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 03:26:54 PM »
Nothing much, just more fangame stuff.

Banka
Shin'ya
Kuroji

Does anyone even look in here?

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 12:03:36 AM »
That whatever-you-call-it that Junko has, that over tarp cover wearing thing, looks colorful and nice, which I like.

AAA is treated like an art museum. No one goes to them anymore, and the policy is 'stay quiet' and 'see, no touch'.

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 02:10:25 PM »
That whatever-you-call-it that Junko has, that over tarp cover wearing thing, looks colorful and nice, which I like.

AAA is treated like an art museum. No one goes to them anymore, and the policy is 'stay quiet' and 'see, no touch'.
Ah, I see, so it's just like my deviantART profile!
Not that I mind, though. I'm doing it as a hobby, so I don't really need recognition.

Reviving threads after two weeks, yay
Writing response after this time 'cause even I don't look in this place too often

Also no art, because I'm a lazy butt.

Lunatic Sinsack

• Wanpan-Man
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 01:43:35 PM »
Okay now, I've looked through a bunch of your pictures and have to say that you are generally beginners level in every aspect possible.
There is little to no variation in your work; the posture is the same, the facial expressions don't really have much variety to them and you rarely include different angles or perspectives - which is fine if you are a beginner.
To point out the first thing I recommend you to work on: anatomy.
Your models proportions are way off, the body parts lack symmetry (Such as uneven arm- or leg-length), in addition to the arms being too long and the legs too short in relationship to the torso etc.
The hands look bad as well as the feet, which are aligned in an unnatural position.
The facial features don't line up with each other as well.

Now, this will probably be a bit much to take in. I hope it doesn't completely kill your motivation, but rest assured: Everyone has to start somewhere. And it's great to see that you actually draw things from your imagination, while many other people I've talked to about their work actually just copied things and wanted to sell it as their own.
Stay motivated and keep practicing even if you don't want to; naturally it's bad to overdo it, but sometimes the motivation comes during the process.

My advice for you would be the following:
Before you try out extraordinary things, get the basics done. Learn from real life examples and then proceed to stylize them in any way you see fit. This will be a slow process that'll get months to get into and no one ever really masters it.
Don't do the same mistake I did as to vehemently refuse to use references; it's something I did when I was younger and it slowed down my progress enourmously. Learn from everything you can; you don't have to copy things, but carefully examining them and applying them to your own work will save you a lot of precious time.
Don't get dicsouraged by failure and take even the harshest criticism as a stimulant to keep going and ultimately getting better.

pineyappled

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 06:55:36 AM »
Okay now, I've looked through a bunch of your pictures and have to say that you are generally beginners level in every aspect possible.
There is little to no variation in your work; the posture is the same, the facial expressions don't really have much variety to them and you rarely include different angles or perspectives - which is fine if you are a beginner.
To point out the first thing I recommend you to work on: anatomy.
Your models proportions are way off, the body parts lack symmetry (Such as uneven arm- or leg-length), in addition to the arms being too long and the legs too short in relationship to the torso etc.
The hands look bad as well as the feet, which are aligned in an unnatural position.
The facial features don't line up with each other as well.

Now, this will probably be a bit much to take in. I hope it doesn't completely kill your motivation, but rest assured: Everyone has to start somewhere. And it's great to see that you actually draw things from your imagination, while many other people I've talked to about their work actually just copied things and wanted to sell it as their own.
Stay motivated and keep practicing even if you don't want to; naturally it's bad to overdo it, but sometimes the motivation comes during the process.

My advice for you would be the following:
Before you try out extraordinary things, get the basics done. Learn from real life examples and then proceed to stylize them in any way you see fit. This will be a slow process that'll get months to get into and no one ever really masters it.
Don't do the same mistake I did as to vehemently refuse to use references; it's something I did when I was younger and it slowed down my progress enourmously. Learn from everything you can; you don't have to copy things, but carefully examining them and applying them to your own work will save you a lot of precious time.
Don't get dicsouraged by failure and take even the harshest criticism as a stimulant to keep going and ultimately getting better.
show us your work, buster

Lunatic Sinsack

• Wanpan-Man
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 09:37:02 AM »
I don't feel confident enough, so I won't, sorry.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 10:46:18 AM »
You know, your criticism would be taken better if you were known to draw well yourself. Artists too tend to be subjective when looking at the feedback.

On another side, Luna Willow's DA gallery does look kind of repetitive. My suggestion is to try your hand in depicting some situations, or even little stories. Maybe two girls arguing over something, while gesturing, one with a smug "you know I am right, admit it already" attitude while other is utterly annoyed and is barely holding herself from starting a fight. Or something other, that would suit you better; as you see, it doesn't have to be something epic, serious, actually funny or, for that matter, of any good as a story. Whatever you draw, it's experience; and what I'm trying to suggest is to make that experience more varied, so there'll be more things you're at least adept at drawing.

Oh, and here is my art thread, so you'll see what kind of an artist you've actually just been listening to. With a perfect page opener, of course :V

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Lunatic Sinsack

• Wanpan-Man
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
That may be true for many people. Now I myself show my work to all kinds of people, not only artists, but also people that don't do any creative work at all.
The thing is, even if I was an amazing artist (Which really, I'm not), the point would still be the same and wouldn't be of any more value than it is now... The value of criticism is not determined by the one doing it, but how in-depth and detailed as well as actually regarding flaws is, at least in my opinion. If people don't want to listen to me as long as they don't know I'm an artist myself or one that is better at his craft, they don't have to.
I still like to help out upcoming or fellow artists, even if many of them don't seem to appreciate it.

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 01:01:44 PM »
Yeah, having to show your own work to provide valid critique is a moot point, and Lunatic is right in all aspects.
If you'd like to take it further, start with the basics, anatomy etc... However, your current work is cute and colorful and fine for a hobby level.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 02:43:35 PM »
No one needs any credentials to provide critique. If it's valid and helpful, that's all that matters. And it's certainly valid. If the OP wants to follow the advice to go walk that well worn path to improvement, that's their choice. I would also recommend it, it's very helpful.
Though, I would assume it's the somewhat audacious quality that opening statement had that touched people's nerve. A little bold, but not necessarily hypocritical. No need to react on other's behalf.
Like Raga said, currently it's cute and if it satisfies your taste atm then by all means good for you, keep it up. What Lunatic suggested is a fine option to take if you suddenly develop a burning desire for great leaps. Whatever you decide, definitely keep drawing!

LunaWillow

• The world is real.
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 06:28:27 PM »
Oh my God, that's a lot of critisism

Uh, ok, so for the start, I'd like to say I don't mind if you're an artist or not. You don't have to be a baker to critisise the taste of bread, no?
So yeah, I guess there's a lot of monotony in my stuff... I sure have to train myself in some more dynamic poses. I guess I'll try it. You also said that I should study anatomy, well, I guess that's where I'll start. Sure, feet, hands and eyes are the hardest. I usually have to redraw these ten times before I'm at least partially satisfied with them. I also already learned before that looking at your favourite artist's work and learning from them is the best way to learn stuff. I haven't done that in a while, though.

Situations, huh? Something like comics? Yeah, I can try that. It'll help with faces and body languege. Though for now, I think I'll take it slowly. I kinda have to re-learn some basics.

Anyways, thanks for all of your critisism! I'm glad I got some. Before, I had not idea what to do, repeating same and same actions without much improvement. Now, I know where I should head for now. Even if some critique might by a little bit harsh. Thank you!