Author Topic: Magic Duels  (Read 1438 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Magic Duels
« on: August 01, 2015, 11:18:02 PM »
Another year, another Magic video game. This installment of the Duels Of The Planeswalkers series seems like it's a reboot kind of thing, with the same engine but a more Hearthstone-style distribution system. Allegedly it's going to be updated with new cards as new sets come out. Sounds decent in theory. And it's free, so that's good.

Has anyone else given it a try? I downloaded it and did not have a good go of it. The menu options didn't seem to do anything. I couldn't fully turn the (atrociously bad) music and sound effects off, and windowed mode was a barely-playable mess of missing textures. I haven't played a Duels Of The Planeswalkers game in a few years, but I liked the ones I did play just fine, and this one seemed like the interface was a lot slower and more awkward to work with. It also forces you to go through a mind-numbing tutorial mode, unless there's some way to skip it I couldn't figure out. Between the crap with the menu options and the fact that it overheated my laptop when I ran it I gave up before I could get to the more involved deck editing stuff.

Am I missing out? Should I figure out workarounds for all of its numerous problems, or does the shallow card pool defeat the purpose of the expanded deckbuilding over previous games? Is it pay to win, or does it give you enough stuff to work with to compete without IAPing? I wish I could give a more comprehensive review and more definite verdict myself, but I didn't give it enough time to figure it out. Maybe because it doesn't deserve to be given more time, I don't know.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
Re: Magic Duels
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 02:17:04 AM »
The server was pretty buggy but it's getting better.

The card pool is pretty shallow for now. Starting out there's no real way to pay2win. Throw all the money you want and still get the same commons/non-mythic rares. Despite that, basic draft deckbuilding skills will ensure you play something somewhat decent. I played it for most of a day and managed to cap out my daily ingame currency income limit (around 750).

I'm hoping games with your friends can count towards the daily quests count for easier farming. If not, just keep your rank low and go beat up noobs. I like to consider it a good sign that getting 8 out of the 10 ranked matches I played have resulted in my opponents ragequitting :V