Author Topic: TouhouCon illustrator Guests of Honor: Banpai Akira, Sunao and Shinoasa  (Read 22965 times)

Some of you may have heard of this TouhouCon thing that is happening in California this September, on the 18-20th. Some of you may have even encountered me on the IRC as I have hyped it. Some of you may even be going! (I know quite a few of you are already going). But even if you haven't heard of it before now, and you're the type to like the idea of the creators of various doujin works being brought over to the US, there is some pretty awesome news for you: TouhouCon is bringing over three really awesome illustrators.

Banpai Akira, Sunao and Shinoasa are going to be coming to TouhouCon as guests of honor!

Well... I can say that, but it might not mean much to you just as that sentence. So let me put out some details (full press release here):

• With regards to Banpai Akira: If you have seen any Koumajou Denstsu (aka Touhouvania) art... this is the character designer for that. Let me say that again:

THE ARTIST FOR TOUHOUVANIA IS GOING TO BE AT TOUHOUCON AIKGJED:JGEGAKL:JL:KDJKH;;.....

*ahem* In addition to working with Frontier Aja, he also illustrates for Yatsu wa Kamei, PURE and many other circles. He's also done work for ALiCE's EMOTiON, Sound Voltex, and many light novels.
  • Sunao also illustrates for Yatsu wa Kamei and PURE. However, if you also have read the Akuma no Riddle manga, she was also the illustrator for that awesome tale of yuri love and ridiculous assassination techniques.
  • Shinoasa is the main illustrator for the doujin circle Vivit Gray, and mostly does Touhou works. I'm not nearly as familliar with her works as the other two; sorry I can't describe her terribly well.

So, you may have had your interest piqued from that announcement; you may even be ready to buy a badge (which you can do here). But maybe those guests may not have been enough to really make it seem worth your time to get all the way to Anaheim, CA (even if you can visit Disneyland between events at the con). HOWEVER, I do urge you to consider the rest of TouhouCon's guests, in case you haven't been keeping up with all the anouncements (And you haven't if you don't know our guest list includes REDALiCE, ARM, Masayoshi Minoshima, Henry Liao, Yuuhei Satellite, TAM from TAMUSIC, ideolo, Marasy, Kozou, nomico, Akai Ryuusei, and Reitaisai?s president):

• ideolo is another artist who will be a guest of honor; he does stuff as NEKOWORKSi. Personally, his stle, use of solid colors and mastery of space and composition make him my favorite.
  • Henry Liao is a local illustrator who really worked his way up in the con scene, and even exhibits at ComiCon. He's not got a huge claim to fame within the Touhou scene, but he certainly is skilled.
  • Kozou, our other illustrator guest of honor, just draws pure awesome. He draws for the Shounen Shoujo Brigade.
  • Yuuhei Satelite has never appeared live as a unit. This is going to happen, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, at TouhouCon, where they have a concert just before the dance at 7PM. You may know them from the Memories of Phantasm OVA series, as well as their awesome other works.
  • Masayoshi Minoshima, the man behind Alstromeria Records. He made this song you might have heard of called Bad Apple. If you haven't listened to ALR's other songs, you should... probably check them out, even if you can't make it. Nomico is the singer for Bad Apple (and is actually quite talented, as shown by her other works), and will be performing with Minoshima.
  • REDALiCE is also going to be there, as is ARM of IOSYS. They're going to DJ the dance on Saturday at 10PM together with Minoshima and Nomico.
  • TAM of TAMUSIC is going to play his amazing Violin with accompaniment on the piano by Akai Ryuusei of Tokyo Active NEETs. They play on Friday evening at 7:30PM.
  • To round out the musical acts, the god of piano Marasy is having a concert on Sunday at 12:30. His piano is... uh... amazing, as could be expected by someone who has been called a god.
  • Finally, Takahiro Hojo is our final guest of honor. He runs a yearly gathering you may know of as Retaisai. Yes, CONVENTION-SEMPAI NOTICED US :D

If that got you, that link for registration is here, you can find a ton of info from our website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and you can bug me anywhere (including by replying to this thread or emailing me; I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can).

So... those are the big huge bombshells that are easy to trot out and show to the world. But the best part of TouhouCon (like most cons) isn't so easy to show; it's not something I can really sum up or link to or state on my own. It's really hard to give proof that that con you just went to is absolutely amazing, the best you've ever had, and had a spark that can't be easily found elsewhere. For me, the best part of TouhouCon was the people I've found while working there or advertising there, including plenty from hanging around the edges here. It's to the point where this is my boast:

TouhouCon is a land of Wonder and Magic, truly Gensokyo on Earth.

And as a part of TouhouCon's staff, I hope I can make the same thing for you.

--Acecipher (aka Kyouko-Sakura & Ithaca)

Disclaimer: I am a volunteer TouhouCon staffer, and do promotions for it simply because it is my favorite con of the 10 or so I have worked so far. Yes, we as a con got permission to post this as an advertisment.  All fanboying in this post does not reflect the opinion of Touhoucon or Touzai Company, and is merely me spazzing out because askakjdfklsjl I LIKE IT THAT MUCH AND JUST LOOK AT THAT LIST OF GUESTS OF HONOR AGAIN, REALLY.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:49:52 AM by acecipher »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: TouhouCon illustrator Guests of Honor: Banpai Akira, Sunao and Shinoasa
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:38:42 AM »
Banpai Akira as guest for TouhouCon. . . . holy shit.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 09:09:36 AM »
Since I'm incapable of going there, if anyone gets the opportunity please ask Banpai Akira if he knows if there will be no more Koumajou Densetsu games if possible. To be honest, after holding out hope for so long I'd rather have closure at this point.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 12:47:08 PM »
Welp, as a non-American, I hope that the western influence of TouhouCon will help inspire similar cons around the world to come to life, namely Europe and Australia.

Easy on the Sake now, Yankee's  :P

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 05:58:16 PM »
Reiterating that I and a number of other people in the western Touhou fandom would be willing to throw Texa$ at Banpai Akira for commissions and potential Koumajou Densetsu-style costume redesigns if he is looking for something to do on the side.
Since I'm incapable of going there, if anyone gets the opportunity please ask Banpai Akira if he knows if there will be no more Koumajou Densetsu games if possible. To be honest, after holding out hope for so long I'd rather have closure at this point.
Frontier Aja reportedly disbanded some time ago, hence why no word from them since.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 05:01:25 PM »
Cool!

Also, don't forget about me  ;)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 09:38:23 AM »
Can we turn this into a general TouhouCon news thread?

TouhouCon is starting soon, and I only just noticed they've got Takahiro Hojo, the president of Reitaisai doing a panel. Hopefully someone will report what he said at the panel.

EDIT: Scratch that, the schedule shows Hojo will have two panels on Sep 18 and Sep 20.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:21:06 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 02:30:35 PM »
I'm planning on going to his panels, though I can't promise a transcript of any sort, or an ear trained to listen to important subtleties.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 09:19:34 PM »
lol double post

Reiterating that I very much doubt I'll ever be able to do proper write-ups, but I will be posting quick summaries for the events I attend on Tumblr. Here's what I have so far.

Opening Ceremonies
Shiroasa/Banpai Akira/Sunao Panel

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

kevin1127

• 古明地こいし is cute and beautiful!!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 11:57:50 PM »
Is there any other Touhoucon live thread

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 07:04:49 AM »
Takahiro Hojo Panel

Pre-emptive apologies to cuc for what I'm sure will be disappointment at the lack of new information. At least it wasn't because I'm a shitty listener/note-taker, though!

Drake

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 09:31:23 AM »
There is another panel later though, what's up with that?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 10:05:27 AM »
Online events in a method similar to pixiv's Apollo would be pretty cool but the logistics seem rather complex.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 04:29:50 PM »
There is another panel later though, what's up with that?

Attend it and find out, ya doof!

Online events in a method similar to pixiv's Apollo would be pretty cool but the logistics seem rather complex.

Hojo-san implied that he and his staff have some ideas already, so we'll see.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 01:40:57 AM »
Writeup of the TAM/Akai Ryuusei panel will come later, because I actually have notes for it and my panel is in less than an hour so I don't want to waste time here online. I was also at the ARM/Nomico/REDALiCE/Masayoshi Miroshima panel, but was (a) exhausted, (b) way in the back, and (c) with a nearly-dead phone, so I didn't take any notes. The one thing worth mentioning were the responses to the "Which American musician do you take the most inspiration from?" question. Answers were as follows:

* Miroshima-san: deadmau5
* REDALiC: Michael Jackson
* Nomico: Marilyn Manson
* ARM: Slipknot

N-Forza

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 02:06:36 AM »
Out of morbid curiosity, did anyone go to that "Wonderful World of Walfas" panel yesterday?

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 07:33:34 AM »
Takahiro Hojo Panel

Pre-emptive apologies to cuc for what I'm sure will be disappointment at the lack of new information. At least it wasn't because I'm a shitty listener/note-taker, though!
There was a second Takahiro Hojo panel and they did allow recordings then, and infos there were more interesting facts there than the first.  I'll upload the recordings once I get back to my lot.

Also, I have more or less complete transcripts for all guest panels except Kozou, so I'll cross reference with Kilga's writeup to see if there's anything else to add.

As for the biggest news that could be of interest to cuc from Hojo's panel is the announcement of "Touhou Summit", which is planned to be a worldwide Touhou-only convention meetup to discuss the future direction of these conventions. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 07:41:55 AM by Sedrife »

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
As a background, Touhou Summit happened as a part of Otaku Expo on March 2015.  http://reitaisai.com/rts12/4237
The summit declaration https://twitter.com/sharonrainswor2/status/581723526408769536
 is taken by one of the attendees, and in his panel of Touhoucon, Hojo essentially expressed interest in applying this statement to Touhou-only events not only in Japan, but worldwide.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 01:15:12 AM »
The Touhou Summit manifesto mentioned by Sedrife is partially why I'm so interested in Hojo's visit. Some pics (source: 1 2 3)

Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

N-Forza

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 02:30:28 PM »
Apparently I have an impersonator who was present at the convention, or so a friend tells me.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »
Apparently I have an impersonator who was present at the convention, or so a friend tells me.
Impersonator, as in mistaken for you but as a gag or someone actively promoting himself as N-Forza who ships stuff around? The last one is not amusing.

N-Forza

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 03:44:39 PM »
The former.

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 03:05:27 AM »
I got an OK from Hojo to go ahead and upload his panel.  Will start upload it on my channel.

Drake

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 03:20:30 AM »
Excellent, because I can't remember half of it despite being one of the most excited people there, and I was late so I apparently missed talk about Chokaigi. Mainly I was trying to work out nuances in Hojo's speech so I glazed over the more general points. I'm so bad.

In the meantime, I can go ahead and "spoil" that the catalogue for this year's Autumn Reitaisai has its cover drawn by Aki Eda. How appropriate that "Aki" is drawing for Autumn. I dunno how well it'll show up on video, but it seems almost uncharacteristically colorful lol. Also, just as I had guessed upon this reveal, he later confirmed that they decided to use official Touhou artists for the Autumn Reitaisai, in contrast to the Spring Reitaisai with select popular fanartists.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 03:41:31 AM »
Autumn Reitaisai cover by Aki Eda Drake is talking about.  You can expect my video quality to be around this much. https://twitter.com/Sedrife/status/646529483269373952

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 10:22:55 PM »
Hojo panel video has been uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TERO5b_O4s

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 02:37:45 AM »
Was there a reason they didn't have Lisa translating at the Sunday panel?

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 05:43:38 AM »
Was there a reason they didn't have Lisa translating at the Sunday panel?

Haven't heard of one.

By the way, here's TAM's concert.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjx__unGWCk

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2015, 02:52:23 PM »
Mmm. Well, hopefully that means it's something innocuous like "that cold she was coming down with Friday night went full bore" and not something more unpleasant.

Sedrife

• Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2015, 11:20:28 PM »
Before my twitter logs are overflooded, here's the summary of all the events and panels I've attended to.  It includes the Q&A from various artists.

Touhoucon 2015 Opening Ceremony
===============================
- Photography was initially announced to be allowed with no flash, but changed to "no photography" policy before the Opening Ceremony started.
- TAM starts the ceremony with solo violin.  Medley of:
"Kid's Festival ~Innocent Treasure"
"Septette for the Dead Princess"
"Bad Apple!! {Alstroemeria Record's remix}"
"Gensokyo the Gods Loved"
"Final Fantasy Prelude"
"Beloved Tomboyish Girl"
"Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea"
- Introduction of the guests ensue.  Ideolo, the artist who have provided the majority of the artwork used for Touhoucon, could not attend due to personal reasons.

Shinoasa, Banpai Akira, Sunao panel
==============================
- The panel jumps straight to fans Q&A, and takes the entire session of the panel
Q. What was your initial motivation for drawing?
A.
Shinoasa - The first season of Pokemon
Banpai Akira - Castlevania
Sunao - Saint Seiya

Q. If you could do something other than drawing, what do you want to do?
Shinoasa - A dolphin trainer
Banpai Akira - Probably take a part-time job in the convenience store
Sunao - I want to be a NEET

Q. How were you introduced to Touhou and what made you fall in love with it?
Shinoasa - First found Touhou through Pixiv, and she soon got addicted to a the deep world of Touhou illustrators there.
Banpai Akira - From watching videos of Nico Nico Douga
Sunao - From watching videos of Nico Nico Douga as well, her initial video was Marisa Stole the Precious Thing.  She's in love with Yuri shipping, so naturally this became a thing for her

Q. What is your favorite Character in Touhou?
Shinoasa - Kamishiwasara Keine.  She loves shipping Keine x Mokou
Banpai Akira - Remilia.  He loves shipping Remilia x Sakuya
Sunao - She loves all yuri, especially Remilia x Sakuya and Remilia x Flandre

Q. If you were to create an original character in Touhou, what would you create?
Shinoasa - Ninja, because ninjas are cool
Banpai Akira - I'll probably make a guy, but I don't feel Touhou needs one.  Something that can be shipped with Rinnosuke.
Sunao - A nekomimi character that gets bossed around by Sakuya.  Preferably a white cat.

Q. What is your favorite Touhou theme?
Shinoasa - Plain Asia
Banpai Akira - Necrofantasia
Sunao - Maiden's Capriccio

Q. What did you expect before coming to North American Touhou-only convention, and how do you like it now?
Shinoasa - I didn't expect there to be an Otaku culture here like the one in Japan.
Banpai Akira - Similarly, it's very fun that the passion for Touhou is seen here like how it is in Japan.
Suano - She expected something different, though she didn't know what it would be.  But she likes the fact that there are so many good cosplays here.

Q. What do you say on collaboration with each other?
Sunao & Shinoasa - We did plenty of that already.  We are all connected and became friends through Touhou, and has supervised each other's work for improvement.  But right now, we are all busy with other things.

Q. Looking back, what did Touhou and its doujin market mean to you, as opposed to your current status as professional illustrators in commercial market?
Shinoasa - Touhou was a place where I could meet friends and similar minded persons.  Being involved in the community, and help each other out to be successful was very meaningful experience.
Banpai Akira - There was a lot of room to practive creativity, as I started out drawing jackets for albums, and got various feedbacks on my work, which gave me a lot of confidence to try something even more drastic.
Sunao - I just love the fact that there are so many Yuri shipping here, and felt that I was accepted by such Yuri-loving community that is Touhou.

Q. What is the most difficult part for you when drawing Touhou?
Sunao - I just can't get Remilia's hat right.  It's very difficult to draw.
Shinoasa - I can't get Keine's skirt design right either.  I wonder why it has such ominous pattern.
Banpai Akira - I have some difficulty coming up with the arranged clothing for my Touhouvania series.  But the process is very fun.

Q. What is your favorite doujin circle other than each other's?
Shinoasa - Rireba
Sunao - I'll say Rireba
Banpai Akira - Yume no... something (Dream Country of Churano or something like that).  I haven't heard of it.

Q. What is your favorite tag in Pixiv?
Shinoasa - I don't browse pixiv much now but I look for shipping tags
Sunao - I don't browse pixiv much now but I look for shipping tags
Banpai Akira - I don't browse pixiv because I'm busy

Q. What do you do on your spare time?
Shinoasa - I like to play Aikatsu!
Banpai Akira - I would like to get a bigger aquarium and appreciate watching fish, but I haven't got time.  I have some fish right now.
Sunao - I practice cooking using my pressure cooker.  I have lots of confidence in my pasta making with it.

Q. What is your favorite food?
Shinoasa - Rice with Miso soup
Banpai Akira - I like kani (crab meat)
Sunao - I like steak, and I want to eat a lot of it while I'm here

Q. What is your working process when making a doujin and/or illustation?
Shinoasa - Drawing doujin/manga and illustration are two different processes.  I draw rough sketch, and then ink my lines, then color.  I do it all in digital now.  For illustration, it usually takes me three days.
Banpai Akira - I'd rather draw using pencil, but digital art is much speedy, so I have no choice to draw on computer to save time.
Sunao - I used to use Photoshop for all my work.  However, now I started using Manga Studio, and interchange back and forth with Photoshop to complete my work.

Q. What final message do you have for your fans here?
Shinoasa - I'd like to draw something for you all.  Please visit my booth.
Banpai Akira - Thank you so much for coming here.  Special thanks to those who came here as Touhouvania cosplays.
Sunao - Thanks, and please visit my booth as well.