Author Topic: 东方夏夜祭 ~ Shining Shooting Star. (release)(ultra patch added)  (Read 74560 times)

Pruns

• Dearest wish, hide this stupid nickname set below
Re: 东方夏夜祭 ~ Shining Shooting Star. (release)
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2016, 06:40:44 AM »
Hello everyone !
I'm going to share my run here too.

Here is my 1CC lunatic no death with Koishi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svaV1On2iQE&lc=z13zwvb5foflh3sg304cenzh2zuujnihixk0k

Some silly mistakes on stage 5 boss and terrible fails on the first final boss 's spell.
Though, Perfected stage 4 boss so it's not that bad.
That's was a great game. I love stage 3 boss theme, stage 4 too, and final boss , and stage 5 theme and... well, all of them.

Anyway, at the stage 6, the passage after falling shooting stars is damn hard.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:33:41 PM by Pruns »

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2016, 03:07:13 PM »
Got a Lunatic 1cc with Sanae.

Lunatic is easier than I thought it'd be. Maybe it's because of all the bullet cancelling. The spellcards aren't impossible, but the final boss is really tempting to bomb on because of how fast her attacks are.

I enjoyed the battle with Kage Mimeima (Stage 4 Boss) the most - it's also my favorite theme.

So...why not NMNB her on Lunatic?

AbdulGalaxia

• space binch
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2016, 04:39:41 PM »
Alright 1ccd as the other remaining characters, now i can give my opinion on them.
Reimu Hakurei/Shinmyoumaru Sukuna:
Pros:
-All around speed and shot types.
-The only characters who has a partner in the game.
-Two types of Bombs that are great.
-Small Hitbox(?)

Cons:
-Bomb is deadly in stage 4 and needs at least another try to get the spellcard right.

Marisa Kirisame:
Pros:
-Fast.
-Lasers are extremely powerful.
-Bomb is great and powerful.

Cons:
-Her unfocused speed is remained ignored for most of the time for her focused speed.
-When fully charged, you must position yourself to get full damage.

Sanae Kochiya:
Pros:
-Unfocused Shot can fill the upper screen when fully charged.
-Focused shot can finish spellcards after the first pattern of said spellcard.
-Bomb fills the screen.

Cons:
I can't really think of one.

Koishi Komeiji:
Pros:
-Unfocused Shot fills the ENTIRE SCREEN.
-With the unfocused shot, it gives Koishi a HUGE advantage with stages and will also get higher scores than other playables.
-Bomb is like Reisen in th15

Cons:
-Poor Focused Shot, causes Koishi to wait longer in spellcards than other playables.
---------------------------------------------------
Kage Mimeima is the best character in the game, i love her ability so much and her theme~

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2016, 06:23:53 PM »
Cons:
-Bomb is deadly in stage 4 and needs at least another try to get the spellcard right.

Just to make sure, you mean the spellcard where Kage uses your bomb (the ying yang orb) against you?

AbdulGalaxia

• space binch
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2016, 06:41:41 PM »
Just to make sure, you mean the spellcard where Kage uses your bomb (the ying yang orb) against you?
Yes.

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2016, 06:43:59 PM »
If you misdirect the orbs in the upper corners of the screen, the orb will fall offscreen and won't even explode. If you do this a few times, the card is incredibly easy.

ChronaSE

• Doremy-rekt
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2016, 01:08:37 AM »
I hate Stage 6 boss so much, specially her nonspells and that spell that shoots a bunch of lasers so fast that it's impossible to simply react.
It's the third time I was close to 1cc lunatic with Sanae  :V

Aside from that, beautiful OST, graphics and danmaku !

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2016, 05:29:00 AM »
I hate Stage 6 boss so much, specially her nonspells and that spell that shoots a bunch of lasers so fast that it's impossible to simply react.
It's the third time I was close to 1cc lunatic with Sanae  :V

On my 1cc runs with Sanae, I generally end up bombing most of the nonspells. I had hoped not to bomb the entire fight...but the bullets are too fast for me to feel safe dodging, even with the small hitboxes on the stars. Sanae does have the added benefit of stopping the swirling stars spellcard before the lasers kick in. (Not that it's a difficult part.)

Haven't tested how effective this is, but Sanae's bomb does damage before exploding if near enemies...you *could* skip whole segments just by placing the bombs right on Tensei if you wanted.

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2016, 07:03:37 AM »
her worst non is actually her 4th tbh cos the blue wave is ridiculously weird to dodge when the second set of stars come in. Everything else is a bit hard to get the hang of (except the second non is really easy cos tiny hitboxes) but when you can get the hang of it it's not tooooo bad most of the time.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2016, 07:31:34 PM »
This game is pretty cool.

So I guess I'll submit the Reimu Lunatic 1cc.
Got all the full border bonus spellcards this run too which is actually fairly hard to do.

Final boss' yellow lasers in her second card are apparently not static so I think it's safe to allow a green border break for a perfect fight. Cos bringing it down to luck it's ridiculous when the rest of the fight is stupid hard to perfect anyway.

Aren't the yellow lasers just aimed?

AbdulGalaxia

• space binch
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2016, 09:52:40 PM »
Is it me or does Koishi and Tensei(Last boss) have a different artstyle than the rest of the cast???

ZoomyTsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2016, 02:12:51 AM »
Aren't the yellow lasers just aimed?
I don't think so? I always try and go to the same place and half the time I still get hit. It's pretty ridiculous

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2016, 03:37:56 AM »
Cleared Normal on two credits, later when I find more free time I'll try to 1CC. It's nice to see that fangames can be this well-made. Echoing the opinions of many others, the soundtrack is fantastic and the danmaku patterns are quite nice. Also, it was nice
Spoiler:
reading all of the producers' wishes in the staff roll. Really makes me feel motivated since I share a lot of them.

All in all, this is definitely a top-10 on my list of Touhou fangames! 棒极了,雨夜枫雪制作组!

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2016, 06:26:17 AM »
For anyone else attempting to score in this game-- I've noticed a hidden PIV multiplier. Point items collected at maximum value are multiplied by 1+[successful borders]/10 (for example, 2.3x if you've timed out 13 borders). So it's possible that maximizing the number of borders may be more profitable, in certain places, than collecting every star as blue for the 5000 PIV.

Also the bonus for timing out a border (any color) is twice what's displayed, for some reason. Pink borders are actually worth 10,240,000, for example.

I don't know what the stage 6 clear bonus is yet, meanwhile. If it rewards extra lives enough, it might be worth deliberately going for a few extends' worth of pink stars (probably during the final boss when PIV is less relevant).

This seems to be a pretty interesting scoring system, anyway. The scoring feels the most like an official Touhou game of all the fan games I've tried, actually. I have a Normal route with Reimu that should be worth more than Zigzagwolf's 3.045b Koishi score from earlier, but have yet to actually clear with it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 06:30:09 AM by Karisa »

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2016, 09:17:36 PM »
So, after watching several YouTube runs in the past week, today I finally got round to installing LocaleSwitch so I can play this myself.

Well, it's every bit as awesome as it looks: really fun patterns, interesting mechanics and a well-built scoring system. Honestly I'd rank this as one of the best Touhou games. Just hope there's an English patch soon ;)

I have a few questions, though. Sorry if these make me sound like a total noob.

Do I have to enter via LocaleSwitch every time I want the game to not crash? I was kind of hoping it would be like turning on a switch that would thereafter remain on.

Is it possible to make the game fullscreen?

In the Youtube runs, there is a row of yellow stars under the lives and bombs, which count how many borders you've had during the stage, and if you get enough, it activates the boss's Last Word. I don't seem to have these in my game. Anyone know why that might be?

« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2016, 09:38:06 PM »
Do I have to enter via LocaleSwitch every time I want the game to not crash? I was kind of hoping it would be like turning on a switch that would thereafter remain on.
Nope. Using Localeswitch, you can create a shortcut icon. When you choose the (ch) on Localeswitch, look toward the bottom of the window to hit the icon to the right of the i. Clicking that makes a shortcut that seems to place itself on your desktop. (For me, it shows up as "(L)THSSS.exe") From then on, just clicking that icon starts the game.

Is it possible to make the game fullscreen?
Open the Settings file in the folder with a text editor and the first line reads:
[DirectX]
FullWindow=0

Change FullWindow to 1.
In the Youtube runs, there is a row of yellow stars under the lives and bombs, which count how many borders you've had during the stage, and if you get enough, it activates the boss's Last Word. I don't seem to have these in my game. Anyone know why that might be?
The borders only count on Hard or Lunatic. Easy and Normal do not give you access to the Last Words.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2016, 12:26:20 AM »
This seems to be a pretty interesting scoring system, anyway. The scoring feels the most like an official Touhou game of all the fan games I've tried, actually. I have a Normal route with Reimu that should be worth more than Zigzagwolf's 3.045b Koishi score from earlier, but have yet to actually clear with it.
After several more Normal scoring attempts today that still didn't clear, I feel I might as well upload my best run in case anyone's interested. 3,213,011,090, game over to the final spell after some silly deaths in stage 4 (the bombs lost in stage 4 should've been spent on the star fairies near the end of stage 5).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 04:43:08 AM by Karisa »

« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2016, 04:01:46 AM »
I usually don't play for score but...

I tried it, Normal with Koishi, and got 3.3 billion. I messed up really badly in stage 4 because I forgot the lasers are aimed around you on easy/normal (they're aimed at you on hard/lunatic) and I died a couple stupid deaths in stage 6. I can do much better, honestly.

I tried hard too and got 4.6 billion, but that wasn't a 1cc so I won't post it.

I just want to mention again that bullet clears fill up your little meter thing >_< So, with Koishi especially, you can REALLY increase the number of borders you get if you time your bombs for bullet heavy patterns. That goes double for hard/lunatic, since you get an extra bomb at the end of every stage anyway.

Also, Koishi does toooons of damage if you unfocus shotgun. You can only every get her main shot and 1 option to hit, but even just that does ridiculous damage.

EDIT
Turns out 3.4 billion actually isn't much better than 3.3, but this is still a much cleaner run.

There are no bonuses at the end of the game, not for lives remaining or anything. The score you see after beating the final boss is your final score.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:06:59 AM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2016, 06:09:24 AM »
Hmm, looks like Koishi's shot has an advantage in stage 5, where I had to bomb repeatedly as Reimu to clear the enemies. I'll probably try Koishi after finishing a Reimu run.

I'm not sure I see the border advantage with Koishi you mention, though-- at the start of stage 6, you had a slightly lower PIV (460k compared to 467k) and the same number of borders (the PIV is being multiplied by 4.1, indicating 31 successful borders) as in my failed clear. The 200m you gained seems to be mainly from stage 5 items and clearing. I wonder how many extra borders it'd be worth to spend those remaining lives on bullet cancels somewhere earlier?

There are no bonuses at the end of the game, not for lives remaining or anything. The score you see after beating the final boss is your final score.

How is this not a clear bonus? Screenshot from your replay. Assuming 60m of the 98,153,000 is the stage 6 bonus, that leaves 38,153,000 unaccounted for.

Edit:
Checking a few Lunatic videos posted earlier, the bonus was:
86,523,000 in FleetingGaze's Lunatic 1cc (finished 0/0, 352,110 PIV, 13,500 graze)
171,347,000 in Zigzagwolf's Lunatic 1cc (finished 4/1, 380,760 PIV, 16,039 graze)
236,207,000 in Jaimers' run with all last spells (finished 6/5, 362,530 PIV, 13,502 graze)
260,008,000 in Pruns' no-death Lunatic run (finished 8/3, 338,090 PIV, 10,059 graze)

These bonuses are rather irregular. Too irregular to be only based only on remaining resources. And yet they do approximately scale with resources (note that Pruns' 8/3 clear bonus is about 90m higher than Zigzagwolf's 4/1 clear bonus, which in turn is about 90m higher than FleetingGaze's 0/0 clear bonus).

I don't think 4 data points are enough to figure out a formula, though-- too many potentially relevant variables (including hidden values like the total number of borders).

Edit 2:
3,344,994,040 (still Reimu), with another silly game over. No major mistakes up to stage 6, and I reached Tensei with 1/0, which should've been plenty. Except I died to the first nonspell then again to the last frame of the survival, as I captured it (the game did add the 37m spell bonus).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:07:03 AM by Karisa »

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2016, 02:57:55 PM »
Huh. I clearly don't know what I'm talking about, then XP

My thinking behind the resources was this; I did 2 runs, in the first one I ended with 0 lives and got 3.3 billion, in the second I ended with 4 lives and got 3.4 billion. I captured and failed all the same spells. I guess that was a silly assumption to make, maybe my first run was just significantly better so it made up for the 4 extra lives in the second, though... that seems a bit unbelievable.

As for Koishi... there were several spots here where I screwed the timing up, such as the death fairy in stage 2. Ideally I would have bombed the fairy, bullets would have filled up the screen, then the fairy would have cleared them, but I got a border a bit too late so it screwed me up. I messed up again in stage 3, where bombing the midboss might have been more beneficial than capturing he pattern.

Of course, I'm just flailing about PoCing and trying to get blue stars. I really don't know what I'm doing. I'm just trying to contribute the information I have XP
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2016, 04:46:52 PM »
It's hard to tell since I didn't see the first run to compare, but I don't see why the first run would be better. Unless that lack of lives was because you picked up more blue stars, or bombed for PIV more, but then wouldn't it have a higher score? If the clear bonus is about 38m for 4 lives, I don't think remaining lives make much difference on Normal. (Unless I'm wrong about the 60m stage 6 base bonus, which is possible since this doesn't necessarily follow all scoring standards from official games.)

Spell bonuses aren't a good comparison, yes. They're clearly large enough to be important (and failing them costs valuable resources that could be spent on bullet cancels or PoC-ing), but not as much as point items with the PIV/border multiplier.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2016, 06:59:52 PM »
The game runs fine, but the window (and the full screen resolution) is absolutely tiny and blurs everything. Is there a way to enlarge the window size in the config.exe or Setting.INI?

EDIT: I seem to be getting a Setting Load Error. Not sure if it has anything to do with this or not.
Okay, I have a screenshot of the screen blurring.

I have no idea what's causing this. I can't read the life and bomb fragment counters....
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Zigzagwolf

• Kuruminist Touhou Player
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2016, 11:15:50 PM »
Decided to do another scoring attempt, kind of decided to graze some nons and try out a few things this time, my internet basically expired a week ago so I couldn't really play more, oh well.

I did manage to barely get a 3.5b run with Koishi, pretty good run, few mistakes but overall really solid. Planning on uploading that run later, kind of want to get one of my MS runs up first. (Also should get the extra stage of this game up I guess.)

I have a replay here though: Replay

Edit: Should this game have a scoreboard? It seems like this game would be a pretty good fangame for scoring.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 11:17:28 PM by Zigzagwolf »
Raid Kappatalism for great Kurumi!

Youtube channel My Youtube channel, I hope you enjoy my Touhou runs.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2016, 04:35:45 AM »
Edit: Should this game have a scoreboard? It seems like this game would be a pretty good fangame for scoring.
Looks like it, though based on past fan game scoreboards I wouldn't expect much-- only the Flash game thread and Suwapyon thread received a significant number of submissions.

Might as well, though. Zigzagwolf, TresserT, should I add your scores?

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2016, 06:09:35 AM »
some scorerun replays here:

01:Reimu easy 4.08b by CLY
03:Koishi hard 7.15b by RLL
04:Koishi lunatic 5.02b by DB0

Zigzagwolf

• Kuruminist Touhou Player
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2016, 07:25:05 AM »
Looks like it, though based on past fan game scoreboards I wouldn't expect much-- only the Flash game thread and Suwapyon thread received a significant number of submissions.

Might as well, though. Zigzagwolf, TresserT, should I add your scores?
I don't expect a lot actually, the LoLK board also hasn't been doing as good as I thought it would (I wasn't expecting it to get big, but a bit bigger? I guess those scoreboards just grow overtime.) This fangame seems really interesting for people willing to try though.

Sure, I'd like to have my scores there, I am not really sure if I'll do more scoreruns though, MS kind of gets priority I guess.

Edit: Wow, apparently I forgot "don't" as the second word I wrote there, gives the whole post a whole different context. Not much of a problem if I figure that out fast I guess..
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:27:09 AM by Zigzagwolf »
Raid Kappatalism for great Kurumi!

Youtube channel My Youtube channel, I hope you enjoy my Touhou runs.

« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2016, 07:42:52 AM »
I want to do better, so there's no sense in adding mine yet.

Maple

• Mukyuu!
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2016, 08:33:38 PM »
Okay, i was editing the wiki; the spell card names have been extracted from 东方夏夜祭\东方夏夜祭 ~ Shining Shooting Star\Image\Menu\SpellCardName3.txt; however i couldn't find the name of Rika's 6th card for Sanae, nor her last spell, i'll need some help with that.

Also, there's SpellCardName.txt and SpellCardName4.txt, name4 is a near exact copy of name3, difference being that it adds a 欧 before any card name; SpellCardName3.png and name4.png are identical except that one is blue and the other is black, i guess it's just for visual effects; but name.png and name.txt have a full set of unused cards, and name3.txt has 流光「幻影无限」 in the area for Kage's cards (between Marisa's and Sanae's seconds). Dummied content? A preview for an "expansion" (like RSS' Phantasm and Overdrive patch released after the Extra patch)?

Edit:
also, could someone transcribe the character descriptions (found in the same folder), so i could later edit the wiki? Either that or edit the the wiki him/herself, thanks. I ask just for the Chinese text, no need of an English translation.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 08:40:44 PM by Maple »

yoshimo

• Impractical Coder
  • Just your neighborhood-friendly Yoshi!
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2016, 01:22:28 PM »
So it seems people have been working on translations. That's good, because I have news regarding locality support.

I looked into a decompilation of the game and actually found what makes the game crash on different locales.
I not only found that, but I also fixed it. I have a version of the game which theoretically should run on any locale.
This would mean players would no longer need to run the game through something like LocaleSwitch; they could just start the game.
I'm not yet distributing it, though, because I currently only can distribute the executable itself rather than a patch for it, and I'm not sure if that would be okay with the original developer.

You can read more info about this in a new thread I started.
I only made it a separate thread because it has a lot of technical detail, so I feel that it would be inappropriate to post all of it here.

<Karisa> Fixed broken link.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:12:08 AM by Karisa »
My perception of my work ethics.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2016, 02:45:36 PM »
Looks like English patch project threads go here. I've gone ahead and moved the thread.