Author Topic: So how do you guys feel about that Steven Universe?  (Read 2621 times)

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
So how do you guys feel about that Steven Universe?
« on: July 14, 2015, 05:00:06 AM »
For those who don't know what it is. It's a show airing on Cartoon Network about a family who a group of aliens called living on earth after one of their own had a kid with a human and died during childbirth. They're kinda like magical girls, fighting monsters and helping people out. The show covers them teaching the kid(Steven Universe) what it means to be a crystal Gem. I like the show a lot. At first the commercials threw me off a bit, making think Steven and his Dad were going to be really annoying, but they're actually pretty cool. The head writer previously worked on Adventure Time, which is fairly popular.

Right now, Cartoon Network is airing a new episode everyday for a week, so now I thought it'd be a good time to make a topic about it. I'm surprised there isn't one here yet. Unforturnately, I don't know too many decent places for new people to play catch up, but it's mostly episodic, making it easy to jump on.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: So how do you guys feel about that Steven Universe?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »
I don't watch it, but my roommate does so I've seen a couple of episodes incidentally. Seems fine. I know a lot of people put it on the same tier as Adventure Time, which isn't obviously apparent from the bits I saw, but it's watchable and maybe really good for all I know. Every episode I saw slipped into cliche a little every time it tried to get serious, which is something I don't feel Adventure Time often does, but maybe that's less distracting if you're more invested.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 11:25:49 PM »
Steven Universe has the advantage that it's not meant to be half-ironic, though, so it doesn't force everything to be viewed through that lens.

But yeah, I watch it, it's a goodass show. I like Japser because she is violence =]

Tribow

• pichuun
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 11:35:08 PM »
I feel like Steven Universe is currently the only good show on Cartoon Network.

Adventure Time used to be good, but was abandoned by original creator because Bravest Warriors is much better, so Adventure Time has gone down into just bad.

oh look at that, new gifs
(I apologize if I made you constantly reload)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 11:44:26 PM »
RIP Pizza Steve.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 11:55:05 PM »
Not to derail the topic, but I'm gonna derail the topic for a second. Sorry. :V

I feel like Steven Universe is currently the only good show on Cartoon Network.

Adventure Time used to be good, but was abandoned by original creator because Bravest Warriors is much better, so Adventure Time has gone down into just bad.

You think so? I thought this last season of Adventure Time was a significant net positive even though the quality had quite a few weird peaks and valleys. I have nothing against Pendleton Ward, but cashing him out of a staff of accredited comedy writers seems like a fair move, and I think it paid off nicely.

Also, I've never really liked Bravest Warriors that much. Admittedly I'm not caught up on it, but that's because it's not that great. At least I didn't think it was, which is too bad because I wish I liked it more. I think it's more of a straight comedy than most of its contemporaries and that doesn't work for me at all, I just find it annoying most of the time.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 01:20:56 AM »
bravest warrios is da best u just a h8er BV

PhoenixMaiden

• Resurrected fire maiden
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 01:20:37 AM »
I've seen a few episodes and I've liked what I've seen. The art looks cool.