Author Topic: What is the WORST game you've ever played in your life?  (Read 15314 times)

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
  • in the emptiness of reason.
Re: What is the WORST game you've ever played in your life?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2015, 06:33:31 PM »
Unlimited Saga only killed the whole "new SaGa games" thing. They still remade Romancing Saga, and it's awesome (the visuals don't bother me). And we also got remakes of FF Legend 2 and 3 out of it. Square's not exactly making good decisions anymore, so I doubt Kawazu will ever work again, unless they want him to redo Romancing Saga 2 or 3 for mobile or some shit like that.
I need an option, a reason, and some hope.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »
I make a habit of playing horrible games and LPing them, or just generally yelling about their incompetence to anyone who wants to listen. Normally I've got a good stomach for this stuff and can push through even if I can't stand what I'm reading.

But then I played Fading Hearts.

Fading Hearts is the worst Visual Novel I've played in my life. It uses Y2K as a legitimate plot point to explain both why the protag's parents are dead and why he's able to live on his own despite being in high school (because he's THE BESTESTESTEST PROGRAMMER EVAR!!!). The writing gives us quality lines like "I smile winningly at her, hoping my charming smile will soften her heart". All the characterisation is explained through text rather than action, breaking Show Don't Tell clean in half. The art is awkward at best and painful at worst. The music is horrible, to the point where one song samples the sound of a door opening for no obvious reason. It's pretentious, it's wangsty, it's got no idea what it wants to be, and it's almost hilariously sexist (you have to team up with a pick-up-artist to save your female friend from her abusive partner). THEY EVEN GET THE DAY OF THE WEEK WRONG SEVERAL TIMES. There is NOTHING redeemable about this game, and the fact I spent fifteen dollars on it makes me physically ill.

Second place goes to the horribly NSFW My Girlfriend Is The President, which was at least mildly entertaining until its characterisation turned utterly horrific and made me want to murder everyone involved. Third place is Caf? 0, or Everyone Is An Awful Person Simulator 2014.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 07:04:14 PM by Fariskanken »

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2015, 06:54:36 AM »
Having never played any actually terrible games, I'll say the worst one when compared to my expectations was Oblivion. I played Oblivion after a long and eventful adventure with Morrowind, and compared to Morrowind, Oblivion was too generic and underdetailed (reportedly almost all the dungeons and the overworld map were procedurally generated). Dumbed down in a way that actually harmed the game (mostly less lore and dialogue in return for having it all spoken in bad voices). There were unnecessary restrictions to player freedom: tons of unkillable characters and doors with unbreakable locks. And everyone knows about the leveling system. I'm also going to say that the physics engine, while spectacular, makes it completely impossible to neatly arrange your collection of stuff like in Morrowind, so you have to either put it in a chest (and hope it doesn't respawn), or throw everything on one chaotic pile.
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2015, 04:57:46 PM »
I'm also going to say that the physics engine, while spectacular, makes it completely impossible to neatly arrange your collection of stuff like in Morrowind, so you have to either put it in a chest (and hope it doesn't respawn), or throw everything on one chaotic pile.

That right there is the biggest slap in the face the game has to offer considering the elder scrolls games always turn into crap collection simulators for me.

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2015, 05:45:37 PM »
I had bought a pok?mon ruby cartridge on a store on a mall long ago. When I started it up, it turned out to be some random lame badly translated bootleg version of  a platformer or something. The disappointment was too great. The game itself had awful controls, too.

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 11:18:53 PM »
Mods, okay, you had fun changing the fonts, please change it back, it's getting painful to read stuff
I haven't played any games I've considered TERRIBLE, or the worst. But I'll just mention a few I particularly didn't like:

Burning Rangers, Sega Saturn: I never quite understood how to play this game, it looked like absolute garbage even for a Sega Saturn game, and thanks to me not understanding it, I never had fun playing it.

Call of Duty: Ghosts, platform doesn't matter: ...That game... exists. I actually have far more to talk about with this game than any of the others I'll be talking about here.
If you're a fan of CoD, you more than likely hate this game, too. You'll have a hard time finding someone that actually likes this game, actually. Next to no CoD fans even bother defending it. Ghosts effectlively shat on everything that made the previous games good. I won't bother going on detail about just WHY this game came to be the trainwreck it was, it's a long story that started way back in the MW2 days, but I'll explain how the game itself we got is.
First of, the graphics. If you played MW3, you know that Infinity Ward (or what was left of it) really must've suddenly got a thing for the colour grey, since MW3 was pretty greyed out. Still, it wasn't that bad. The game looked a bit ugly and somewhat depressing, but it worked. But they went *waaaaaaaaaaaaaay* overboard with it in Ghosts. The entire game is pretty much in greyscale. In fact, in that ridiculous and infamous space level, if you actually look at the Earth itself, you'll see even that didn't escape this decision, since it is also somewhat greyed out. This made Ghosts a *very* ugly game to look at. Also, in Multiplayer, enemy players blend in *very* well in the background, but I'll talk about the Multiplayer in itself more in a bit. Ghosts is also pretty much unplayable on a CRT TV. An entire 1/10 of the game is off screen on both sides of your television, the game gets a bit blurry and smaller text is borderline unreadable.

The Campaign... is terrible. More specifically, the story. You might be thinking "Oh, but the story in previous COD games was never something to brag about", but atleast they weren't this bad. It's very awkwardly paced, the missions aren't that fun to play, and dat ending. Apparently, getting shot in the chest by a .44 Magnum round, then getting blown up, then getting stuck inside a flooding container just isn't enough to kill the main villain.
And now, the Multiplayer. Easily the worst MP experience I've ever had. The gun balance, while better than, say, Black Ops 1 or MW3, still frankly stinks. The MTAR (which for fuck's sake, Ghosts, is NOT a Submachinegun!) reigned king over all weapons in the game for a long time. There were way too many perks, and they were all just perks from earlier games except stripped down into many parts. Deadeye is literally just Stopping Power that works randomly. Now, brief history class:
Deadeye increases your current bullet damage by 40% much like Stopping power did, but while that doesn't sound bad, you must remember that the three CoDs that HAD SP, CoD4. WAW and MW2, had every gun in the game somewhat weak to justify its usage. The average amount of bullets to kill in those three games without Stopping Power was 4 for automatic weapons and 3 for Semi Automatic weapons, and using the perk would effectively make you need one less bullet to kill. In Black Ops 1 onwards. Stopping Power was removed, and most weapons were given the effects of said perk by default, so now Automatics killed in 3 shots and Semi Automatics in 2. Even though Infinity Ward effectly brought that ability back for Ghosts, they still kept the default bullet power of the games where this ability was not present, so if you do use Deadeye, it's like you're stacking TWO Stopping Power perks in your gun, so now you have 900RPM Automatics killing in 2 shots, and Semi Automatics killing in... 2 still! The 40% buff still wouldn't give you enough power to kill someone in one shot to the body. The only thing that makes Deadeye different from Stopping Power is that it only works once every 4 shots (once every 3 shots if you kill 2 people and every other shot if you kill 5 people) which disencourages its usage in slower firing or Semi Automatic weapons.

So thanks to this decision, Semi Automatic weapons became useless and Automatic Fast Firing weapons became too powerful, and thanks to the lag (something this game definitely doesn't lack), most of the time you can literally get killed in less than 10 frames depending on your connection. Now, the maps. CoD was always about small maps and fast paced arcade action. Black Ops 2 took this too far and made every single map in the game claustrophobically small, so people complained. Infinity Ward saw this during the development of their upcoming game (which was Ghosts) and decided to change the formula of the maps. So, when we got Ghosts, suddenly it was the complete opposite of BO2: The maps were way too big!
The maps were too big, too open and barren. If even in small maps it was sometimes possible for you to run around everywhere and not find a single enemy for a minute or two, in the big maps, it happens all the time, basically! The maps were so big and so slow paced, most matches would actually time out rather than finish through score. it also slowed the pace of the game down to a crawl and made the Shotguns useless.

Overall... Ghosts was just sad. Advanced Warfare was a bit better. A tiny bit better. Slightly better. 

Touhou Project Wars: I'm putting this since it has been previously mentioned here in this thread. Sure it's a fangame, so I should give it a break... but I won't. The game is very boring and repetitive. You need to keep getting money to buy new Gasha dolls and train them, so this means plenty of grinding to get money, and then even more grinding on top of that to get them leveled up. Boss Fights are a cruel joke. I've never had one that lasted less than 280 turns. The RNG keeps healing them everytime they're about to go down, then it keeps healing me when I'm about to go down. The story is on par with Ghosts in terms of quality, and that fucking SI protagonist is so damn annoying!. The cutscenes sometimes allow you to choose what you're going to do or say next, but, atleast to me, it doesn't seem to make that big of a difference. It's not the worst thing ever, you can definitely have some fun with it, but ever since I've stopped playing it two years ago I've never felt the urge to come back to it even once.

The nova of the ocean of the cleverness

Tribow

• pichuun
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2015, 01:31:11 AM »
So I own superman64.

I tried to play it
tried
I had no idea what the hell I was doing for a good percentage of that game. Fly through rings, fun.
That's it.
NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS!
Plus if you sit and watch the intro superman will fly into city building and glitch out.
I can't even explain how bad the game is, I haven't played it long enough to do it.
Just search videos of Superman64

And for another bad n64 game.

GLOVER

OH GOD
THIS GAME IS HARD AS FUCK!
It's totally not because horrible controls, gameplay is terrible, camera angle pls, what the heck am i supposed to do here? I DONT KNOW WHERE POINT A AND POINT B IS!!

Yup.

oh look at that, new gifs
(I apologize if I made you constantly reload)

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2015, 10:20:36 PM »
I've played many horrible games through my life, but I guess this piece of shit here takes the cake.

I remember playing it as a kid. I don't want to even look at it again...

There's also this.  :barf:

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Kuriz

• Flying Gatekeeper of no real significance
  • Watch out for my my Special Attack MOVE!
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2017, 04:25:53 AM »
I would pull out some shovelware game from my childhood, but I can't remember any, save for Ben 10 Protector of Earth on DS, so I'll just say Lost Planet 3. Maybe Tekken Tag 2. Ranked match has broken me on a spiritual level I cannot even begin to comprehend, but a it's still Tekken. I can't hate a Tekken. Not when Lost Planet 3 exists

BONUS OFF TOPIC THINGER: The worst game I actually love is Sonic R. Yup. I like the music, mainly.

PX: Just a friendly reminder that this thread ended over two years ago. It's better to make a new thread rather than revive a dead one.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:21:20 PM by PX »

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »
BONUS OFF TOPIC THINGER: The worst game I actually love is Sonic R. Yup. I like the music, mainly.
Lucky sod. My copy never had music for some reason.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

JetSet

• Nyahaha! - SR
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2017, 11:45:47 PM »
Worst game I've ever played...

If you think in terms of least enjoyed, then Skyrim. I played through it for a long while, but I was never really too drawn in. Like, I never lost myself for hours in it like most people say they do.

As for worst as in just bad, I would say....uh, probably Resident Evil: Umbrella corps. It played like a bad mobile game...for PC.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 09:18:10 PM »
I played a lot of "worst games" such as ET. But the game that made me think had no redeeming qualities whatsoever for its time is that god awful simsons game where you spraypaint stuff.

Master of orion 3 isnt the worst but it is outstanding with how bad they effed up, and it certainky is quite probably the most dissapointing game ever for me. Even still though I WOULD enjoy it. But the thing is that game is supposed to be ridiculously complex and filled with tons of minutia rhat you CAN micromanage but encourages you to "macromanage"... This is a lie. I micro everything, and even enjoy it. But it has a fatal flaw. Even if you micro everything and set bulding/planet/government advisors to off, they will stealth turn themselves on again and replace all your effing orders on all your planets. Basically making it so you arent even ALLOWED to play the game, it WILL play itself for you.

I HOPED this was a bug they would fix after a patch or two but nope. I waited YEARS before playing again and updated the game only to encounter the same issue. Arrgh!

The painful thing is I REALLY liked the esthetic, the UI, etc. It felt so immersive as a space commander thing and really got me in the mood. When I tried gal civ 2, everything felt cheesy in comparison even if it may be a better game.

Lords of the realm 3 is similar to master of orion 3. They turned the whole premise of the game upside down and amounts to being like playing a moba without the heroes. Which is to say you do virtually nothing but tell the troops who are automatically generated from a town you dont manage to attack and thats about it..
 In real time, after the series was established as something of a 4x turn based game. What the heck were they thinking?!

Edit: oh yeah. You guys suck, elsword is fun =p. Though it does get really grindy later on and the boss health bars get to be excessive.

Vindictus kinda is like an enhanced version of elsword, both the good and the bad. The expectation that you are to have +10 gear is even higher, though in vindictus its +15. The penalty for not having it is so bad people outright state they will kick you if you lack a certain stat number.

The bosses are much MUCH harder and more damaging, and the trash getting to them is so mind numbingly noring and easy you can probably reach the bosses blindfolded and playing with your feet. But the boss battles are SOOO good I still enjoy the game regardless. Plus vindictus has the best done dragon fights ive ever seen in a game.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:25:10 PM by Ghaleon »

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2017, 09:33:15 AM »
RuneScape.

Or really, just the MMO genre in general. It's incredibly grindy, exists only just to waste your time, to get the best gear, levels etc you pretty much have to invest in tons of time or commit yourself to doing dailies. All of which RS has fallen victim to. And that's not to mention the (completely optional, fortunately) MTX.

Bossing/PvM is about the only thing I like doing in this game, and it's the only reason I play this game nowadays pretty much. Everything else about RS is just trash or dead content.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

Jeremie

• MoonScraper
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2017, 01:28:17 PM »
Out of all games I've played, Rise of the Robots is a very strong contender for worst game I've ever played. In my opinion, it's not like Superman 64, Action 52, Big Rigs or all the games that have a charm for being so bad that they're good. Out of all the fighting games I've played, it is bar none the worst I ever had the misfortune to try (I played the SNES version). There's many contenders out there just in the fighting game department but the lack of response in controls, the A.I. that can be horribly dumb just like it can curbstomp the player just makes it downright unplayable and boring. At least Shaq Fu and many of the Mortal Kombat clones had a bit of charm to them because they were flat out weird, silly or hilariously bad.

Meanwhile, the biggest disappointment in terms of games I experienced includes Mario's Time Machine because, while I was younger I thought that sounded awesome for a premise... and then I discovered it was an educational game. To make matters worst, I didn't know English at all back then. Unlimited SaGa ranks up there as well because, while I can appreciate change, I think it's fair to say it went wayyyy too far.

I also got to agree about the MMO genre more or less. While I think there's some good ones out there that are fun even with all the grinding and stuff, there's a certain famous one that I have a lot of contempt towards. Beyond that, there's so many mediocre titles out there that have extremely little to contribute. On the other hand, I feel there's some browser games out there that are even worse.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by Rumia.