Author Topic: What is the WORST game you've ever played in your life?  (Read 15442 times)

Mitsuhide

• History Nerd
    • The one eyed gamer
What is the WORST game you've ever played in your life?
« on: July 10, 2015, 11:12:01 AM »
The title is pretty self explanatory. Which game was so bad that you questioned the meaning of life itself? Take into account that you might happen to be a person that has only played average to good games, but from those, which one do you like the least?

Mine is definetely Techno Cop, on Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. I was looking forward to playing this game. An action platformer with gore and stuff. Looked cool. But god, what an abomination. Not only the graphics are bland, but pretty much everything is just bad. There is only one music track in the whole game, the one that plays on the title screen. The rest of the game is silent, just sound effects.

And the gameplay is horrible. You're a cop and you have to either catch a bunch of punks or blowing up their torsos (it is less fun than it sounds). Bjt first, you have to do a pointless driving scene to get to the apartment the punks and their boss are located. And when you get there, you have like 2 minutes to defeat the boss. The apartment is a maze, ao good luck finding him. Not to mention, the regular enemies appear out of the blue, giving you little time to react. And both the gun to catch them and the gun to blow stuff up are extremely delayed, specially the former. On top of that, each enemy takes several hits to kill, so you're going to lose health either way.

But don't worry if you don't catch the boss, you just continue to the next stage. Not even the developers gave a damn wether you completed a stage or not.
But the game is called Techno Cop. I don't know why I expected it to be any good.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:16:21 AM by Mitsuhide »

MatsuriSakuragi

Re: What is the WORST game you've ever played in your life?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 11:14:26 AM »
puzzle and dragons

trust me I've been playing it for almost 600 days and easily have thousands of hours invested into it I know these things

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 11:22:56 AM »
Lunar: Dragon Song.

Unironically the worst game I have ever played.

There are games out there which I have played which have been horrible but you can see at least some semblance of good ideas or plot points or something where you're like "okay, that might have been cool if it was better executed" or something.  Hell, even Sonic '06, for its universally reviled nature, had a few of these.

But no, Lunar DS was irredeemable.  I suffered through it out of nothing more than raw boredom over a summer.  It was nothing but grinding (and then repeating that grinding for money instead because you either got gold OR exp from enemies what the hell), then some completely unremarkable sidequests, then more grinding, then maybe a new environment that's just as uninspired as the others, and then characters that are completely flat and unremarkable...
and then an ending so spectacularly disappointing it was like a final punch in the face. 
Spoiler:
After an unwinnable boss fight against the antagonist halfway through the game... the final boss is actually his pet demon.  You kill the demon, his castle starts collapsing, and he falls to his death instead of actually getting a fight with you

Do not play this game.

I don't care how much you like bad games.  This isn't even a bad game that's got entertaining facets.  This is literally just nothing but pulling teeth the entire time for absolutely nothing resembling a payout, genuine or ironic.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 11:58:02 AM »

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 04:22:30 PM »
For Touhou it's Touhou soccer. It's not a bad game per se. It's very very difficult, you need to understand all the mechanics and stats in order to even stand a chance and even then, the A.I it's brutal. They cheat like bitch, the RNG sides with them, in story mode, they have better player overall. It's THE first game to make me legitimately says F-bomb. I still regret playing it.

For non-Touhou it's Mimana Iyar Chronicle for PSP. I bet you don't even know what it is. Well, it's just your average, everyday JRPG with a bland protagonist and his harem (yes, really). The battle itself is just bland action-RPG unlike tales series, you can only control the main character, there's little enemy variety, the skill is bad, the battle music is bland and many more. The RPG I played now (the Gray Garden) is more colorful than this. Apparently, they blew all their budget for the VA. The main character is voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch (yes, really) Kung Jin's VA. And that's also the reason I played it. Yeah, I'm stupid.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 04:30:20 PM »
For me, it would have to be Bioshock. Yes, I'm sorry. The intro is nearly perfect, and it's pretty to look at, despite the distinct lack of freedom. The limitations of gameplay could have been just fine if it wasn't possible to accurately predict how the rest of the game was going to pan out from like the halfway point. Transparent, limiting and not particularly fun, I'd say it's the worst within the context of expectations.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 05:03:05 PM »
For me, it would have to be Bioshock. Yes, I'm sorry. The intro is nearly perfect, and it's pretty to look at, despite the distinct lack of freedom. The limitations of gameplay could have been just fine if it wasn't possible to accurately predict how the rest of the game was going to pan out from like the halfway point. Transparent, limiting and not particularly fun, I'd say it's the worst within the context of expectations.

Me too. I admit that I'm biased because I don't like or understand first person shooters, but I went in expecting to love it. And christ, I did not love it. I agree with all of your complaints, but on top of that I hated the way the game woukd constantly kill you by spawning enemies directly behind you, only to respawn you within a few feet of where you died with no penalties at all.

Bioshock seemed to think it was a horror game, or at least it leaned a lot in atmosphere, but the mechanics could not be less compatible with that idea. Giving you a ton of super powers and putting you in situations where you (or at least I, I recognize that this might just be a problem stemming from me sucking) constantly die but suffer absolutely no consequences from anything could not be less scary or atmospheric.

Of course, calling Bioshock the WORST game I've ever played is tremendously relative. I'm not even counting PC budget games widely regarded as trash because they were released unfinished from tiny studios.And I'm heavily weighting Bioshock's hype against it. Obviously a lot of care was put into making it, it's by no means unplayable, but it is probably among the least fun experiences I've ever had playing a video game.

Honorable mention goes to Dragon Age. I'm being unfair because I didn't finish it, but I didn't finish it because it was a broken game. My save file got eaten eight hours in or so by a known but unpatched bug and I quit because I found it boring and kind of uninspired up to that point and I felt personally insulted by all of the little glitches and bugs that existed known in the game, even years after release, that were deemed not important enough to fix. When you call your game a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate I'm going to hold it to a very high standard, and my standard was not even close to met.

Again, probably not a terrible game, but I had a bad experience playing it and found it badly lacking next to the hype. Occasionally looking over my roommate's shoulder when he played the new one did nothing to convince me otherwise, it was insultingly broken.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
  • in the emptiness of reason.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 11:07:58 PM »
The NES version of Mappy Land. If you've played it, you know what I'm talking about.
I need an option, a reason, and some hope.

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 11:13:34 PM »
Elsword, by far it's gotta be Elsword. I dumped more hours into this game than you guys can possibly believe.

It starts out cool and everything, with a decent enough premise and some characters, the problem is, once you actually start understanding the game, you learn how shitty it is. All of the game's PVE is ridiculously simple and repetitive, there's not even a real story to talk about, most of the game's ACTUAL story is given outside of the game itself, which is already a shitty enough decision, but between a bajillion rewriters, inconsistent information, outright contradictory information AND the fact that they simply decided that all character jobs and personalities are canon and yet not at the same time just makes the story completely stupid in the end. The most glaring fact of this is the "ElType" comics which were originally supposed to be extra story tidbits explaining the world and giving character backstories. They have devolved into "what if" fun fests which are entirely non-canon and serve only as a cash-grab for koreans.

Dungeon Difficulty? What difficulty? Grab literally the highest-level content in the game possible and you'll see that it's ONLY difficulty comes from the fact that all boss attacks are inescapable, unstoppable, have little to no telegraphs AND deal a bajillion damage. And don't even get me started on the bugged bosses (Looking at you, Ran.) Or the bosses which were intentionally designed to be bullshit (I'M LOOKING AT YOU TARANVASH AND YOUR INSTA-TELEPORT-COUNTER BULLSHIT).

The fact that it's pay-to-win doesn't make it any better, good fucking luck trying to do any content post level 50 without a +8 weapon AT LEAST. I should probably mention that any weapon upgrade post +5 has abysmal success chances and can also break your weapon, rendering it unusable unless you buy a specific item for real money. Oh, and by the way? There's an item that makes said abysmal rates slightly less abysmal, which also costs real money. And the chances are still fucking terrible.

The game emphasizes this stupidity so fucking much that having a +9 weapon is considered average, so much so that the only way to challenge players anymore is to make "achievements" which, by the way, are absolutely fucking unreasonable. And when I say unreasonable I mean "Finish this dungeon in less than 4 minutnes! Oh, btw, the dungeon has 3 minutes worth of loading time and the boss goes invincible frequently and randomly, all of which count against your total. Good luck!" or even the all-well-known Reaper achievement, or "Do 7-6 800 times". Neither of which, by the way, are isolated achievements. Between the "defeat the raid bosses 1000 times" achievement (bosses which also fall into the "deals too much damage, can't escape, has too much health and little to no telegraph" pattern) the "killl 9999 angry syrapes" achievement (of which you can get at best 16 in a single specific dungeon run, and some runs you can literally only get 2) or even the "SOLO BOSS RUSH (a can of worms in and of itself I assure you) IN CHALLENGE MODE 1000 TIMES" a process which can take more than an hour per run.

And let's not even talk about the bugs, or the balance, or the hitboxes, or the netcode, or the literally everything else, seriously, I watched this game grow from its early beginnings and the only reason I stayed in it for as long as I did was because I had no alternatives + the friendships I had made due to them.

If you want a summary of EVERYTHING that's wrong with the game... This 30-minute long video covers pretty much all of it. The fact that the uploader got enough footage for a 30-minute long video out of nothing besides videos which average on being less than 20 seconds long (and the fact that this isn't even all of his footage) should already tell you volumes about how shitty of a game Elsword really is.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 11:34:32 PM »
Lunar: Dragon Song.
[Inhuman wailing]

Anyway, -that- abomination aside, Sword of Vermillion. I do not remember what it was like beyond only playing like twenty minutes of it before I grew so bored I never opened it again.  Worst 600 Wii poimts ever.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 01:05:24 AM »
On my end I think it's been either Mabinogi or ArcheAge. A lot of people have essentially tried so hard to convince me that both games are fun, but out of all the free-to-play MMOs I have played in my life, Mabinogi strikes me as just overly repetitive, boring, and while there is sort of a lot of stuff you can do, it just takes sooooooooo long to get anywhere of value, and the fact that your skill growth is limited by how much time you actually play the game (because AP and you can only get so much via leveling before you can rebirth and do it all over again) is not fun. Plus the economy, at least when I was playing, was so freaking broken, everything costs so much money and it felt like you had to pay money to get anything half-decent, which I ended up doing. I regret every cent I paid to Nexon, and I'm glad I've never touched the game again

ArcheAge didn't make me give any money to Trion, because I was smarter than that. The labor system was slow, I was frustrated at the sheer plain to see advantage pay-to-win players got, and the quests are sooooooo repetitive. Like I'll give Mabinogi credit in that it had somewhat varied combat and whatnot (although the dungeons were the most repetitively unfun pieces of crap I've played ever in history), which ArcheAge... maybe it had it? I dunno, I just felt extremely bored with the game.

Hilarious that my least favorite games of all time, in terms of just how unfun they were, are both free-to-play Korean MMORPGs with pay-to-win aspects.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 01:23:17 AM »
I can't really be too rough on indie or doujin titles, to be honest. I don't know why, maybe they get a pass on a lot of stuff for trying with limited resources. Even truly awful indie or doujin games still aren't a waste of my time to try, I think. With the possible exception of Pocket Wars, which for some reason just felt like an endless grind.

Oh, honorable mention to Oblivion. Bloated map, repetitious events in the towers, the dialogue wooden and unconvincing - especially hard to deal with in dialogue-heavy scenes, of which there are many. Deliberately became a vampire out of sheer boredom.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 01:35:42 AM »

This hunk of junk.
It has a roulette style attack battle system in that your ability to hit things is based completely on luck, weapons break like glass, traps everywhere,
missions are seemingly random in difficulty and can spike to extreme levels early in the game.  Its basically RNGjesus the game.

I don't even know if there was a story. I didn't get far before some blue dragon nuked my party, and I just went to return the game.

This one takes 2nd place. It also has a roulette style attack battle system, but not as bad as saga's since you can better time your inputs. Still not fun though.
The killer is you're forced to slowly walk around the map using this focus mode to detect enemies, otherwise they are invisible and will surprise you.

It got dull real fast and I gave it away to some friend.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 01:49:28 AM by Cadmas »

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 01:44:49 AM »
I actually like Unlimited Saga. But I'm not going to pretend it's not a dense game that takes experimentation and research to figure out.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 01:51:37 AM »
Oh, honorable mention to Oblivion. Bloated map, repetitious events in the towers, the dialogue wooden and unconvincing - especially hard to deal with in dialogue-heavy scenes, of which there are many. Deliberately became a vampire out of sheer boredom.

Yeah... Yeah. I kind of hate Bethesda, even though I wish I didn't. I did have my fair share of fun with Oblivion, but I attribute 90% of that to mods. It has a lot of fun stuff, but also enough mind-numbing repetition that it averages out to a bland experience. And my Skyrim game hit a game-breaking bug 20 hours, so that one goes in the failure category too. Man... Fucking Bethesda. I wish their games lived up to the handful of really cool ideas that are in them.

Giratina93

• The Great Titan of a Lost Realm
  • Behold, the Dark Lord of Distortion sees all
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 01:54:01 AM »
May I just nominate a game that I hate with a burning passion?

PAPER MARIO: STICKER STAR.

This game... by the gods, this game. Now, I have played games that are of... lesser quality than Sticker Star. I've played some REAL glitched up messes *CoughSonic06andSonicBoomcough*, but Sticker Star... holds a VERY special place in the depths of hell. Everything you knew and loved about the Paper Mario series? The witty and hilarious dialogue, how awesome Bowser is, the feeling of a fleshed out world,  great partners that weren't annoying as hell, A deep and immersive story (by Mario standards), being ENJOYABLE AND FAIR?!

Yeah, Sticker Star LAUGHS at all of these. And takes a dump on the very basis of standard RP games.

Optional battles? WORTHLESS. There's no experience, you can get stickers from other means, and coins are overly abundant. Optional fights are COMPLETELY WORTHLESS.

Boss fight? Hope you like things either stupidly easy if you know what sticker to use... or so hard you have a migraine if you don't know, and more often than not, it's the latter. And don't even GET me started on the final boss fight against Bowser (And Kamek shortly beforehand)

Helpful NPC's? PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT. Try again, your only "hint system" is this useless crown that is annoying as heck and is so unhelpful... AUUUUGH!

Bowser? A mockery of how fun his RPG self tends to be.

Party system? Remember that crown I mentioned? You are STUCK with her, and ONLY her... yeah.

Music? I'm sorry but almost every single Mario RPG has better music than this game.

As a Mario RPG, it completely, utterly fails at every single level. As an RPG, it still fails. As a video game doing it's own game, it's an infuriating case of trial and error... or looking up a strategy guide every 5 minutes.

Just... I hate this game. I REALLY, REALLY hate this game. The fact Bowser Jr, who I HATE with a passion is shoehorned in here in a continuity where he has NO BUSINESS being in, is just the cherry on top.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 01:58:48 AM by Giratina93 »
Why... why must weak humans destroy their world? Why can they not preserve that which they see so dear to them? Why must all life perish before immortality?

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 02:17:10 AM »

This one takes 2nd place. It also has a roulette style attack battle system, but not as bad as saga's since you can better time your inputs. Still not fun though.
The killer is you're forced to slowly walk around the map using this focus mode to detect enemies, otherwise they are invisible and will surprise you.

It got dull real fast and I gave it away to some friend.

Thank you! I was having a hard time remembering a game I actively disliked (I'm big on reading reviews first and playing later) and you reminded me of this crap. When I got a PS2 my brother got me this game as a Christmas present because he remembered I was starting to really get into RPGs at the time. This game just did everything possible so poorly I wonder how it was released.

Poor voice-acting? Check.
Unnecessary jiggle-physics? Check.
The aforementioned slow walking if you didn't want to be surprised by literally every enemy in the game? Check.
Horribly-done battle system? Check.
To add on the battle system: a completely random guessing game for a "counter-attack" system? Check.

I think I kept the game for like a week (only played it a couple of times) then traded it in for several other games.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 04:32:52 AM »
After a few hours of considering all available choices, I'm going to heap this title on Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight.

A sequel to a definitive RTS that throws out pretty much most of the key elements of not just the franchise, but the entire genre. Resource gathering and base construction have been pretty much completely abandoned, and the only strategy that really exists is a completely unsubtle rock-paper-scissors system. Single-player missions mainly consist of throwing endless waves of units at your enemy's endless waves of units until something gives. Only one multiplayer mode exists. Unlocking new units and upgrades requires obtaining EXP and levels, even for the single player campaign. The conclusion to the series' storyline ranges somewhere between "massively unsatisfying" and "nonexistent". The game requires a persistent online connection, even though it precedes Origin. I paid $60 CDN for this.

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 04:41:55 AM »
This is a rather new game which some people love for other reasons, so apologies if anyone else here like it;

Soulcalibur V. From someone who started with II, easily migrated into III, and got only partially disheartened in IV's quality, V isn't even comparable to what came before it. Not only are the new-gen counterparts even as marginally good as their originals (and I'm damn well sure Xiba is more or less what Project Soul made in their attempts to create someone who was purposefully annoying, unlike ABSOLUTELY ANYONE ELSE in the Soulcalibur cast) , but the 'story' mode that PS made for this game is absolutely lackluster, and makes nil use of anyone who isn't an Alexandria, or ZWEI (who admittedly was the only good new addition in SCV).

The actual gameplay was just 'meh' to me, as I wasn't the most supportive of the Critical Edge system when SCIV advertised it (so I just saw no use to activate it) but here it's more or less necessary if you want a sporting chance at doing good enough against some of the later opponents (and maybe even online, though I rarely ever used it). Back then, I was used to the 'shoulder button-to-charge' sort of mechanic back in SCII and SCIII and I am rather disappointed that they didn't just get used to it later in future games.

For other points, there is how the character creation and customization system is, again, not even comparable to their old counterparts; SCIII's creation system was amazing in that I could make a PROPER new character thanks to the other weapon styles that aren't like the actual characters proper. SCIV's was both majorly disappointing in that only having the actual character's styles to work with is (as Yahtzee said) just like alternate skins for them, and very interestingly pulled off in the special stats that applied to the items themselves that made your custom character have alternate stats. SCV's gets rid of that and just makes it a dull version of SCIV's skins due to having NOTHING special to work with, (apart from Devil Jin) INCLUDING the weapons(!!!!!!!!), and NOTHING changing how you actually play.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

notverycreative

• The coldest chill,
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2015, 05:25:21 AM »
I kind of liked Magna Carta, too. I'm a really awful person who doesn't know what a good video game is, or I do but I also have weird taste. Thing is, I was REALLY into the Magna Carta artist's art for years before I played it. I liked the second one, too, from what I played of it. I mean, 'cause...I think Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and Shadow Hearts 2 are fantastic games and are easily two of the best JRPGs on the PS2, but then I'll freely-admit I spent money on Chaos Wars and didn't regret it and in fact had fun.  Obviously, I can dislike a game, since I said Mappy Land was irredeemable crap. There's apparently an arcade version, but I never played it. Probably plays differently than it does on the NES. You might die more often, to force the player to put more quarters into the machine.

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2015, 05:48:27 AM »
Worst game for me has to be... oh dear. Does this only encompass "official games" games? I'm incredibly lenient compared to most people so that'd be a tough one, but if not, I'd say that the worst game i've ever played has to be this monstrosity. It is a mishmash of everything that you shouldn't do in a Megaman game, combined with cringeworthy fanfic+OC smattering in the sad excuse for a plot. Complete with ms paint graphics, cutoff, frequent clipping issues, and randomly permanently disappearing upgrades, it's truly a sight to behold if you want a quick way to lower your expectations for humanity.

Yeah... Yeah. I kind of hate Bethesda, even though I wish I didn't. I did have my fair share of fun with Oblivion, but I attribute 90% of that to mods.

Oblivion gave me the most fun when I discovered the potion stacking glitch(?). Normally you can only have four stacks of potion effects going on at once, but through some weird fuckery with the pause menu, you can drink four more. Do this with Skooma, and you actually go so fast that you can noclip through... everything. As a bonus, when it runs out due to the incredible distance you probably spanned and how much it hopped up your maximum stamina, your stamina actually went into the NEGATIVES and your character would ragdoll at mach 5, not being able to get up until it naturally regenerated to 0. Who's too slow now, Sonic?

puzzle and dragons

trust me I've been playing it for almost 600 days and easily have thousands of hours invested into it I know these things

and yet still sinking hours in  BV
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 05:50:51 AM by OverlordChirei »

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2015, 06:26:38 AM »
I have a burning passion for Dungeon Crawl, which I played (torturously) for months before I finally got sick enough of it to kill the addiction.

I have found there are two ways to end a Dungeon Crawl game:
-You die an aggravating death
-You waste countless hours Not Dying miserably to ''''win''''

It's a roguelike, yes. By default it's Hardcore Mode where if you die you start over, all items are randomized except for your starting ones, you get a class-race choice and that's the only non-RNG thing in the game, delve to the bottom of a dungeon filled with hard monsters and head back up to win, etc.

But Dungeon Crawl is a special sort of hell.

Let's start with the first concept of the game: You WILL run into enemies you can't kill, at any stage in the game, and you WILL have to run away from them.

Unfortunately, the game makes it unreasonably difficult and RNG-dependent on if this is actually viable. Just the act of MOVING has a random chance of speeding you up or slowing you down ever so slightly, so sometimes (as in, whenever it's inconvenient), your foes will get free hits on you because you were randomly slowed down enough to let them catch up.

There are ways to speed yourself up, but it's either via spell (which requires you know magic), or a consumable, or being a naturally fast (and probably squishier) race. Naturally, most enemies that will Kill You have ranged attacks, making running unviable. Or they're faster then you by default, making running equally pointless. Or can summon to trap you in a hallway, or... you get the picture.

Then there's teleporting. Also a consumable, but it takes FOUR TURNS to teleport and it's RNG based where you go. This means you will always land in a spot that's guaranteed to put you worse off then before, because Crawl Hates You.

The only reliable method of running from things is via a Blink scroll, which is naturally fairly rare. Remember, this is a game where you will be forced to run a lot, and this is the only surefire way to distance yourself, a rare as shit scroll that on some floors of the dungeon isn't even fucking reliable because Fuck You It's Crawl.

Then we get to the enemies themselves that you will be running away from. The following cast of baddies can be found on any of the first three floors of the dungeon (of which you will have to endure around AT LEAST 50):
-Ogre. Deals Tons of Damage and has Tons of Health. Can easily one-shot squishy characters, found as early floor 3 or very rarely floor 2 or 1. You are guaranteed once every 50 games to see one spawn right next to you, right after you enter a new floor and instantly splatter you because it was Floor 3 and you have no real health bar.
-Orc Priest. Has a Line of Sight smite that deals irresistible damage. Can spam it as long as he's in LoS. Common Floor 3+ enemy, sometimes earlier.
-Orc Mage. Commonly found with blink, haste, and ranged poke attacks. Found at the same frequency as Priests.
-Gnoll. Tough melee monster. Solitary ones are uncommon on Floor 1, and beyond can be found in packs.
-Coyotes. Common Floor 1+ enemy. Travels in packs and faster then you. Deadly to squishy characters on Floor 1.
-Grinder. Boss Monster, second most lethal monster in Crawl. Found Floor 3-6. Has a ranged pain spell, blink, and paralysis. Resists almost every elemental magic you can start with.
-Sigmund. Most lethal character in Dungeon Crawl. Boss Monster found often on floors 2-4. Invisibility, Confusion, Ranged fire spell, will spam all three as often as possible. Often found with a random wand (which could be one that instant-kills you). Literally stated in the Knowledge Bot that he is "Proof that Crawl hates you and wants you to die."

The game is so deadly in the first five floors it's a wonder anyone ever wants to try venturing further past it, unless you can randomly find enough Magic Shit to make you overpowered enough to carry you through Early Game Hell. Keyword is, of course, "Randomly", because everything in the game is RNG. And the RNG hates you.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 06:34:44 AM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Eiburine

• Ferrero Rocher Lover
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2015, 07:40:50 AM »
Hanako Games. I love you, and I love Spirited Heart, but the rng dice mechanic is awful. Literally everything is based on luck. My character is poor, I need money, and you're telling me  that I rolled one too high and so I automatically fail the job. None of my plans go the way I intend and I always end up with an ending I wasn't going for. There's also no sound and music during gameplay so it's pretty difficult to get engaged :3c

Now, I find some luck based elements pretty alright :3 But if my character is more than qualified to do a job, yet isn't competent enough to stop messing up, there may as well be no qualifications. It's all or nothing, and it's unfair.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2015, 08:12:26 AM »
I can't really think of a worst game, but shoutouts to Sakura Spirits for not even being entertainingly bad; it's just mediocre. It's not even enough of a trainwreck to follow through.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2015, 10:46:21 AM »
I've noticed a lot of us are picking franchise killers; Unlimited SaGa, SC5, Lunar: DS...

So I'll add one more.

Master of Orion 3

What a pile of suck.  Thank God GalCiv came along and as a MoO game that was (mostly) right.

Dishonorable mentions:  FF8, Showdown Effect, Dungeonland

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2015, 02:35:43 PM »
Elsword, by far it's gotta be Elsword. I dumped more hours into this game than you guys can possibly believe.

As someone who played Grand Chase for probobly... 10 years, I can say Elsword is godawful in comparison. Grand Chase was a true 2D arcade-style fighter. [Complete with Arcade-style difficulty in some places. I still remember back when Fortress of Ascension was released. If you messed up against Thanatos Phase 3 he WOULD oneshot you unless you were in full cash gear or the set that dropped from there. Then he'd probobly 2 shot you.] Elsword... is some weird 2.5D Manga fighter thing it touts itself as?

I was mainly PvE; and I HATEHATEHATE the automatic knockdown mechanics. How GC dealt with infinite combos was enemies would randomly just do super-armor framed attacks; which if you did not stop pounding and dodge; you'd get owned and most bosses wouldn't flinch at all.  What Elsword does is make enemies fall down after a certain number of hits; get massive Damage Reduction; and then get up... to be pummeled again.

Worst game I've ever played is probobly Sonic '06. That thing was a glitchy; buggy pile of garbage which was so bad the game retconned itself out of existence. I also tend to make heavy use of youtube and reviews these days to avoid real stinkers.

I have a burning passion for Dungeon Crawl, which I played (torturously) for months before I finally got sick enough of it to kill the addiction.

I have found there are two ways to end a Dungeon Crawl game:
-You die an aggravating death
-You waste countless hours Not Dying miserably to ''''win''''

It's a roguelike, yes. By default it's Hardcore Mode where if you die you start over, all items are randomized except for your starting ones, you get a class-race choice and that's the only non-RNG thing in the game, delve to the bottom of a dungeon filled with hard monsters and head back up to win, etc.

But Dungeon Crawl is a special sort of hell.

Let's start with the first concept of the game: You WILL run into enemies you can't kill, at any stage in the game, and you WILL have to run away from them.

Unfortunately, the game makes it unreasonably difficult and RNG-dependent on if this is actually viable. Just the act of MOVING has a random chance of speeding you up or slowing you down ever so slightly, so sometimes (as in, whenever it's inconvenient), your foes will get free hits on you because you were randomly slowed down enough to let them catch up.

There are ways to speed yourself up, but it's either via spell (which requires you know magic), or a consumable, or being a naturally fast (and probably squishier) race. Naturally, most enemies that will Kill You have ranged attacks, making running unviable. Or they're faster then you by default, making running equally pointless. Or can summon to trap you in a hallway, or... you get the picture.

Then there's teleporting. Also a consumable, but it takes FOUR TURNS to teleport and it's RNG based where you go. This means you will always land in a spot that's guaranteed to put you worse off then before, because Crawl Hates You.

The only reliable method of running from things is via a Blink scroll, which is naturally fairly rare. Remember, this is a game where you will be forced to run a lot, and this is the only surefire way to distance yourself, a rare as shit scroll that on some floors of the dungeon isn't even fucking reliable because Fuck You It's Crawl.

Then we get to the enemies themselves that you will be running away from. The following cast of baddies can be found on any of the first three floors of the dungeon (of which you will have to endure around AT LEAST 50):
-Ogre. Deals Tons of Damage and has Tons of Health. Can easily one-shot squishy characters, found as early floor 3 or very rarely floor 2 or 1. You are guaranteed once every 50 games to see one spawn right next to you, right after you enter a new floor and instantly splatter you because it was Floor 3 and you have no real health bar.
-Orc Priest. Has a Line of Sight smite that deals irresistible damage. Can spam it as long as he's in LoS. Common Floor 3+ enemy, sometimes earlier.
-Orc Mage. Commonly found with blink, haste, and ranged poke attacks. Found at the same frequency as Priests.
-Gnoll. Tough melee monster. Solitary ones are uncommon on Floor 1, and beyond can be found in packs.
-Coyotes. Common Floor 1+ enemy. Travels in packs and faster then you. Deadly to squishy characters on Floor 1.
-Grinder. Boss Monster, second most lethal monster in Crawl. Found Floor 3-6. Has a ranged pain spell, blink, and paralysis. Resists almost every elemental magic you can start with.
-Sigmund. Most lethal character in Dungeon Crawl. Boss Monster found often on floors 2-4. Invisibility, Confusion, Ranged fire spell, will spam all three as often as possible. Often found with a random wand (which could be one that instant-kills you). Literally stated in the Knowledge Bot that he is "Proof that Crawl hates you and wants you to die."

The game is so deadly in the first five floors it's a wonder anyone ever wants to try venturing further past it, unless you can randomly find enough Magic Shit to make you overpowered enough to carry you through Early Game Hell. Keyword is, of course, "Randomly", because everything in the game is RNG. And the RNG hates you.

Crawl player here. [Furthest I've got is 2 runes and then dying on Vaults 3 when my TP scroll I used to escape a pack of about 20 deep trolls teleported me in Dragon Form right into the clutches of a Frost Giant...]

You missed Adders. Floor 2+ [Usually]. Decent damage. Outrun almost all characters so no escape. Highly venomous bite which will often leave you to die. Pretty good evasion.

Also; Xom.

But I'm a freaking gaming machoist. I play stuff like Crawl. I play Dwarf Fortress. And so on.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:47:10 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2015, 03:05:53 PM »
As someone who loves Silent Hill games, even a few of the much-maligned ones (relatively, of course-I would never call Downpour a great game, but it is short and containing of some great sequences, which makes it plenty wotthy of a playthrough) I have a grudge against Silent Hill 5/0/Origins/whatever.

Much of the game actually works really well for me. For sheer scariness I think it might have given me the most spooks out of any Silent Hill game. The atmosphere in some areas is so downright oppressive that it made me actually anxious to open a door to see the next thing.

The "use anything as a weapon" system is cooler in concept than itvis in practice since you have unlimited inventory space to cram everything that isn't nailed down into, which means that breakable weapons are meaningless because you already have ten IV poles in your pocket anyway if you lose this one. Botched execution of a good idea, but not awful.

No, the awful part was the last ~hour. I was relatively on board up to then. I won't spoil specifics in case for some weird reason someone actually cares about the plot to a Silent Hill that isn't the second or third one, but I'll just say that throughout the whole game you're receiving clues to why your character is on Silent Hill that suggest a connection to certain characters from other games.

When reveal times comes though, onstead of explaining anything and making the plot matter, the game just shows you something it already showed you and pretends it's shocking new information even though you found out at least an hour ago. Then it railroads you along to a hasyily-assembled final sequence with none of the care or atmosphere of previous parts of the game leading to a bunch of meaningless metaphysical nonsense and a crappy anticlimactic boss fight against the most generic cartoon devil you've ever seen that takes about fifteen seconds to kill. Game over, collect your traditional one-of-several endongs that explains little and get out.

Why were you in Silent Hill? What does this alleged prequel add to the backstory that we didn't already basically know? Why did your character have the inexplicable ability to travel back and forth between worlds almost at will? No particular reason. The whole point of the game seemed to be (aside from casting aside SH4 by returning to the characters and plit of the original Silent Hill, which is a game I don't particularly care for) to set up a plot point that was seemingly scrapped at the last minute with next to nothing offered to fill the hole it left. Granted, if I'm right about what the original intent was that twist ultimately wouldn't have mattered thaaaat much either, but it would have been something. And something is better than the gibberish we got.

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2015, 03:39:32 PM »
As someone who played Grand Chase for probobly... 10 years, I can say Elsword is godawful in comparison.

Ugh, Grand Chase is another can of worms entirely, honestly I dumped a fuckton of hours in Grand Chase before I dumped a fuckton of hours in Elsword and there's good reason Elsword is considered the better game of the two. Between the bullshit grabbing mechanic, the dungeons which were just as godawful as Elsword's, the equally as bad storyline with the exact same problems, the pay-to-win aspect, the horrible balance problems... Literally the only thing Grand Chase had it going for it that was better than Elsword was that was that this was not a common occurrence.

There's good reason Grand Chase is dead, I hope Elsword follows suit as soon as possible. Considering how much I know about KOG's decision making both gameplay and business-wise, I would like to say that Elsword is going to be dead by the end of the year but that seems less likely by the day. Which hurts my soul.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2015, 04:11:46 PM »
Ugh, Grand Chase is another can of worms entirely, honestly I dumped a fuckton of hours in Grand Chase before I dumped a fuckton of hours in Elsword and there's good reason Elsword is considered the better game of the two. Between the bullshit grabbing mechanic, the dungeons which were just as godawful as Elsword's, the equally as bad storyline with the exact same problems, the pay-to-win aspect, the horrible balance problems... Literally the only thing Grand Chase had it going for it that was better than Elsword was that was that this was not a common occurrence.

There's good reason Grand Chase is dead, I hope Elsword follows suit as soon as possible. Considering how much I know about KOG's decision making both gameplay and business-wise, I would like to say that Elsword is going to be dead by the end of the year but that seems less likely by the day. Which hurts my soul.

Except they fixed a lot of those issues in the final years. Beyond players making rules; they actually added options like 'disable pet attacks' and 'disable probs/equalize stats'; which basically killed off pay2win. And I wasn't a PvP'er. Elsword has:
Skill Notes which is largely cash
B slot which is borderline required for some characters and is cash only and is a massive PvP and PvE buff.
Avatar stuff which gives notable stats
Pay2Win armors with no 'equal mode' in PvP.
Pets which are pretty much cash only. [Some of the best GC pets were PvE grinding only; like Thanny Boy]

If Grand Chase was P2W Elsword is borderline P2P. Especially in PvP. THE best equipment in Grand Chase was PvE-exclusive. [Lv 85 Relic. Best cash equips were Lv 80 Relic]

Oh; and the Stamina system. That sucks too.

And PvE is better than Elsword's; aside from the lack of the stupid knockdown mechanics; you're rewarded for things such as attacking the enemy from the rear or knocking them airborne and juggleing them. There's no stoic stupidity. The PvE is more about making quick reactions to enemy super armor attacks than just looping mobs until they hit auto knockdown, waiting for them to get back up because lol 80%+ DR and repeating. Storyline is awful but hey it's the same company what do you expect?

GC died because it was more than 10 years old and Elsword existed splitting the playerbase between the shiny new game and the older one. That and they made a lot of choices people didn't like [Cough; AP system which eventually led to an overhaul of the entire skill system :/]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 04:16:33 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
Except they fixed a lot of those issues in the final years. Beyond players making rules; they actually added options like 'disable pet attacks' and 'disable probs/equalize stats'; which basically killed off pay2win. And I wasn't a PvP'er. Elsword has:
Skill Notes which is largely cash
B slot which is borderline required for some characters and is cash only and is a massive PvP and PvE buff.
Avatar stuff which gives notable stats
Pay2Win armors with no 'equal mode' in PvP.
Pets which are pretty much cash only. [Some of the best GC pets were PvE grinding only; like Thanny Boy]

If Grand Chase was P2W Elsword is borderline P2P. Especially in PvP. THE best equipment in Grand Chase was PvE-exclusive. [Lv 85 Relic. Best cash equips were Lv 80 Relic]

Oh; and the Stamina system. That sucks too.

And PvE is better than Elsword's; aside from the lack of the stupid knockdown mechanics; you're rewarded for things such as attacking the enemy from the rear or knocking them airborne and juggleing them. There's no stoic stupidity. The PvE is more about making quick reactions to enemy super armor attacks than just looping mobs until they hit auto knockdown, waiting for them to get back up because lol 80%+ DR and repeating. Storyline is awful but hey it's the same company what do you expect?

GC died because it was more than 10 years old and Elsword existed splitting the playerbase between the shiny new game and the older one. That and they made a lot of choices people didn't like [Cough; AP system which eventually led to an overhaul of the entire skill system :/]
GC Player here.... and want to say this... they even nerfed characters when people bitch and moaned especially Amy FOR NO GOD DAMN REASON at all, 4th bars broke the game, they never added good dungeons or tried to make the story line make sense, and on top of that... they tried to turn it into Elsword. GC had potential, but KoG FUCKED UP big time trying to make it more like Elsword that's probably was the reason why GC fell... I don't mind Elsword it's just they need to make it interesting.

Now on the subject of worse games... FUCKING MAPLESTORY FUCK THAT NOISE AIN'T GOT TIME FOR THAT SHIT NO MORE. (Yes you can shoot me for calling Maplestory out)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 05:04:07 PM by MewMewHeart »
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?