Author Topic: Miscelleneous Touhou thoughts and commentary.  (Read 106118 times)

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
Re: Miscelleneous Touhou thoughts and commentary.
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2015, 02:25:53 AM »
Sumireko on WaHH.

Sumireko. On. WaHH.

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2015, 06:47:35 AM »
After making American Touhou OCs for goodness knows just how long, I'm more than overjoyed to see
Spoiler:
Clownpiece
in LoLK.

Boomer

• Lifeless Energy
  • Attributes and weaknesses are the same.
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2015, 02:35:42 PM »
I can imagine Patchouli being some sort of mentor, especially to Remilia; her "shut-in" personality only being in effect during moments of deep thought and focus like when she is reading for example.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:45:02 PM by Boomer »
I just know what I know...

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2015, 06:59:36 PM »
I see the pink blob thing Doremi carries around as a sentient, manifested dream which she keeps as a pet.

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2015, 11:44:13 PM »
After making American Touhou OCs for goodness knows just how long, I'm more than overjoyed to see
Spoiler:
Clownpiece
in LoLK.

She's not actually American though. If anything,
Spoiler:
she's Greek since she's one of the nymphs accompanying Hecate.

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2015, 12:21:45 AM »
Regarding LoLK's Extra boss's name...
Spoiler:
Could "Lapislazuli" possibly be a reference to LoLK's titular "Ultramarine Orb"? Lapis lazuli (the stone) is ultramarine in color (it's actually where we get the word "ultramarine" from, because ultramarine pigment for paint was made of ground up lapis lazuli.) If the Ultramarine Orb was lapis lazuli, and Hecatia is Lapislazuli, I wonder what connection they could have.

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2015, 01:22:42 AM »
It just occurred to me that LoLK's PointDevice mode is technically eligible for a speedrun; the fewer retries the faster the run.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2015, 02:16:12 AM »
Regarding LoLK's Extra boss's name...
Spoiler:
Could "Lapislazuli" possibly be a reference to LoLK's titular "Ultramarine Orb"? Lapis lazuli (the stone) is ultramarine in color (it's actually where we get the word "ultramarine" from, because ultramarine pigment for paint was made of ground up lapis lazuli.) If the Ultramarine Orb was lapis lazuli, and Hecatia is Lapislazuli, I wonder what connection they could have.

According to the extra boss' profile text:
Spoiler:
The player character is a metaphorical ultramarine orb, for whatever reason. The whole... thing is referred to as a the "Ultramarine Orb Person Plan". I think the whole plot of the game is supposed to be viewed as this big strategic battle between Eirin, Sagume, and Junko, with the player character as just a pawn. Like, all those famous tacticians from Chinese epics (and Suikoden games). Eirin came up with the brilliant and unexpected Ultramarine Orb Gambit to conclusively win the battle.

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2015, 11:47:35 PM »
After finding out more info about the characters I have to say...  Well Junko's designed interested me so I looked into her and...

Spoiler:
She is a character with a more tragic backstory than possibly even Yuyuko.  My condolences to her for her loss.  I understand why now she has such a grudge.  The loss of one's family is not something one can easily take.  The innumerable tears she must have shed could have flooded a river.  We can only hope that she will be able to somehow get on with her life and be able to find happiness.  I am sure her husband and son would have wanted as much for her.

Edit: 
Spoiler:
After reading a post in another thread I have found that a theory I had regarding the identities of her husband and child have been jossed so I had to revise my post.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:36:30 AM by NuclearFalcon »

Drake

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2015, 01:30:52 AM »
It just occurred to me that LoLK's PointDevice mode is technically eligible for a speedrun; the fewer retries the faster the run.
Considering the maximum of Pointdevice no retries is doable, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to bother calling it a speedrun any more than the other Touhou games that let you die with no time loss. Why measure for speed when the measure of retries is already essentially what you're going by?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2015, 04:31:33 AM »
Considering the maximum of Pointdevice no retries is doable, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to bother calling it a speedrun any more than the other Touhou games that let you die with no time loss. Why measure for speed when the measure of retries is already essentially what you're going by?
Should've been more specific. I was thinking less like a traditional world record speedrun and more something that would be done live at AGDQ.
IIRC shmup 1CCs have been done before at AGDQ, but PointDevice-NB would make for a hilarious live speedrun.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:34:01 AM by shockdude »
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2015, 08:22:22 PM »
The Moriya Shrine were the true victors of the incident featured in Mountain of Faith. Granted, most of their projects didn't work out as expected, but it is much more than the Hakurei God has ever done for Gensokyo. Another thing is that IIRC, Reimu has a very small shrine dedicated to the Moriya goddesses, but I don't believe that the Moriya Shrine has anything dedicated to the Hakurei God. If it weren't for Reimu, the Moriya Shrine would probably be the dominant power in Gensokyo.

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2015, 04:31:06 PM »
Has anyone ever wondered why LoLK's final boss name is
Spoiler:
Junko
? It feels too simple.
Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

Tribow

• pichuun
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2015, 05:54:27 PM »
I think Kogasa is only weak right now because she hasn't been scary lately.
If she really scared a lot of people she'd be powerful.

oh look at that, new gifs
(I apologize if I made you constantly reload)

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2015, 10:51:46 PM »
So apparently ZUN picked up a copy of -Pacific- USN Fleet Girls Collection at C88.

I'm crying so much right now. This is a miracle.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2015, 11:58:25 PM »
Has anyone ever wondered why LoLK's final boss name is
Spoiler:
Junko
? It feels too simple.
Her whole character is meant to be about pure/simple things.

Lollipop

• stay woke
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2015, 12:15:07 AM »
Her whole character is meant to be about pure/simple things.

Never noticed that, considering there's no english patch yet.
Touhou 1CCS:

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2015, 04:25:54 AM »
Actually, the English patch is out now, but you should read her translated profile on the wiki if you want to know more about her. In-game dialog is rarely all that insightful.

« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2015, 12:18:36 PM »
I was thinking less like a traditional world record speedrun and more something that would be done live at AGDQ.
IIRC shmup 1CCs have been done before at AGDQ, but PointDevice-NB would make for a hilarious live speedrun.

Something I'd like to see (or even do) is a speedrun of the photo games. I know that MotK had the "StB/DS done quick" collaborations, where every card in the games was done fast, but it would be genuinely interesting to think about the fastest necessary cards to pass each stage (as in enough for game completion). Hopefully interesting to watch in an AGDQ environment, too.
check http://vsoft.life/ for runs & creations
latest stream: Hollow Song of Birds Hard 1cc (OrangeReimu) @ https://youtu.be/eDFd4FHEjXg

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2015, 03:46:31 AM »
Since this thread is about misc. thoughts...

If you want to make Touhou crossover fan fictions, REMEMBER THIS: you WILL face criticism if you make some of the girls lose or struggle really hard in fights against opponents from the other series.

I personally faced this (I made a Touhou/DC Comics crossover on FF.net), and harsh ones at that...

And no, I'm not trying to start a power level discussion, mind you.

TableCloth

• Call of Loli: Waifu Warfare
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2015, 11:52:59 AM »
When playing EoSD, i often consider that the spell cards in Hard are easier than the spell cards in Normal

The VERY few exception are Patchouli's water sign spells and Emerald Megalith, as well as Sakuya's The World, and finally Scarlet Meister
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: MoF, IN, SA, PCB
Lunatic 1cc: MoF, IN

Currently struggling against depression by writing a light novel. Also, stop talking about nazi. The fact that I have Swastika in my name makes me stressed whenever anyone brought up any topic related to nazi and neo-nazi (unless we're talking about history, then I'm up for it). No, I'm not a neo-nazi. Neither are my parents. F**k off.

Ryuunotaki

• Rollin' fluffball.
  • Am I sane, or insane? That is the question.
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2015, 06:53:49 PM »
Since it's been said that there are other sealed-off worlds in Canon outside Gensokyo, I've been thinking that perhaps Mugenri exists in the same universe as Gensokyo, as a separate sealed world.
I'd make that part of my Fanfiction's canon. (When it is written, if ever.)

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2015, 08:53:56 PM »
Actually, the English patch is out now, but you should read her translated profile on the wiki if you want to know more about her. In-game dialog is rarely all that insightful.

Oh, is it out?  I've been looking up and down for the english patch but can't seem to find it anywhere.  Kind of curious about how Hecatia's dialogue is, heh.

Lollipop

• stay woke
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2015, 09:47:56 PM »
To me, MoF is basically: get all six extra lives,die only 2 or 3 times on stages 1 - 5, and waste all the other lives on Kanako.
Touhou 1CCS:

« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2015, 10:59:49 PM »
For the past 3 main games have had many ties to the "Windows 1" games. TD had Youmu as playable and featured the Netherworld and Yuyuko. DDC had Sakuya as playable and had patterns similar to EoSD's style. LoLK had Reisen as playable and focused heavily on Lunarians. Assuming ZUN's really abandoned PC-98, I think Touhou 16 will have similarities to PoFV, possibly with Komachi as ppayable.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2015, 11:25:30 PM »
For the past 3 main games have had many ties to the "Windows 1" games. TD had Youmu as playable and featured the Netherworld and Yuyuko. DDC had Sakuya as playable and had patterns similar to EoSD's style. LoLK had Reisen as playable and focused heavily on Lunarians. Assuming ZUN's really abandoned PC-98, I think Touhou 16 will have similarities to PoFV, possibly with Komachi as ppayable.
2hu 16 is phantasmagoria confirmed
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2015, 11:56:30 PM »
In a way, I'm grateful ZUN has set the History cap on spell card attempts at "99+". Because I think if I saw just how many times I bashed my head against Clownpiece's first spell card I would probably cry.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2015, 12:11:22 AM »
In a way, I'm grateful ZUN has set the History cap on spell card attempts at "99+". Because I think if I saw just how many times I bashed my head against Clownpiece's first spell card I would probably cry.

I'm used to  99+ after finally capturing Seiga's overdrive.

Lollipop

• stay woke
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2015, 07:10:31 PM »
One thing I don't like is that starting from MoF, the games feel more fast-paced. I don't have god reflexes, and some of the spells are almost impossible if you don't know what's going to happen.
Touhou 1CCS:

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2015, 08:41:12 AM »
When asked who the most powerful characters in the series are, people usually answer Yukari, Yuuka, Flandre, and Suika, but rarely ever Eiki, who ZUN says is the most powerful character in the series.  In fact, some people don't even believe she is that powerful.

And no, I am not trying to start a power level discussion.