Author Topic: Miscelleneous Touhou thoughts and commentary.  (Read 105402 times)

Miscelleneous Touhou thoughts and commentary.
« on: July 06, 2015, 08:16:43 PM »
This thread is for posts that aren't big or detailed enough to warrant their own thread.

Anyway, I believe that we are living in will be what probably be remembered as the golden age of Touhou. There have been releases almost every year since 2002 and a growing and diverse fanbase. It makes me wonder where the fanbase will be 20, 30, 50, or 100 years from now.

Tribow

• pichuun
Re: Miscelleneous Touhou thoughts and commentary.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 12:01:02 AM »
Are there other sealed off worlds besides Gensokyo? I do wonder.

oh look at that, new gifs
(I apologize if I made you constantly reload)

Drake

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 12:21:36 AM »
the lunar capital

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 02:20:43 PM »
Are there other sealed off worlds besides Gensokyo? I do wonder.

In a sense, both Wonderland and Oz may qualify... If they actually exists in the Touhou-verse as sealed-off worlds, that is.
In fact, almost every fairy tale locations qualify as such.
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Shadow1176

• Garden of Death
  • Reaper
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 05:32:17 PM »
the lunar capital

Is the lunar capital actually a sealed off land?  Then again, it would make sense since the moon landings never proved anything...

Also, I think the other realms, such as Makai and Heaven qualify as separate worlds, not part of Gensokyo. I read somewhere that it was easier to access other realms from Gensokyo, but I'm not sure if those count.
That time, is breakfast time!
My Fanfiction Profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2752493/Shadow1176
My Deviantart Account: http://shadow1176.deviantart.com/

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 06:59:59 PM »
Gonna politely ask that this not become a second version of the Misc Questions thread, which we already have. "Thoughts and commentary" can include questions, but those are more of a speculative, no-definitive-answer nature. If it's a question that has a specific answer, go ahead and ask it in the stickied thread.

Anyways.

I've been thinking a lot about how ZUN manages fatherhood and Touhou Project. Admittedly I have no idea where or even if his wife works, so maybe they're both stay-at-home parents. But even so, those first couple years are pretty intense in terms of energy and attention requirements. This was part of the reason why LoLK impressed me so much - he keeps topping himself, more or less, despite these incredibly demanding new circumstances.

I dunno, maybe he lucked out and got one of those mythical Babies Who Sleep All The Time.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 08:46:12 PM »
I've been thinking a lot about how ZUN manages fatherhood and Touhou Project. Admittedly I have no idea where or even if his wife works, so maybe they're both stay-at-home parents. But even so, those first couple years are pretty intense in terms of energy and attention requirements. This was part of the reason why LoLK impressed me so much - he keeps topping himself, more or less, despite these incredibly demanding new circumstances.

I dunno, maybe he lucked out and got one of those mythical Babies Who Sleep All The Time.

His wife works, but she's on maternity leave, or something like that. It was mentioned in cuc's ZUN-news thread, I think.

Drake

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 12:12:56 AM »
Japan's child care leave (after the paid maternity leave) takes effect up until the child reaches 1 year old, so her leave would have ended last month.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 08:17:50 PM »
As we know, Remilia uses fairies as maids despite the fact that she can summon devils to do the work. I believe that she uses fairies because a part of her wishes that she was still a child, and fairies help bring a bit of child-like innocence to her life. This brings me to another part of my conjecture: Remilia brought the fairies into Gensokyo. These supernatural creatures are of European origin (According to this post, yousei is used for foreign spirits) and so is Remilia. Perhaps prior to her arrival, they were spirits of nature that were formless. The concept of fairies meshed extremely well with the native Shinto religion and they became a major part of Gensokyo.

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 01:22:25 PM »
It's fun to find classical music references in the soundtrack.

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 10:01:06 AM »
Back on the topic of "Other sealed worlds beside Gensokyo"...

If there were other sealed worlds, would it be accurate to say that they have good diplomatic relationships with each other?
For example, I have mentioned (obscurely) in my Fan Fic Fantasy Blitzkrieg: Mission 3  that Wonderland and Oz have an Embassy and a High Commission respectively in Gensokyo.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 12:30:58 AM »
Touhou (東方) literally translates to "East", "eastern", "orient", etc.
"Eastern Project," "East Project," and "Orient Project" all sound like codenames for some government or military investigation.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 03:41:42 AM »

If there were other sealed worlds, would it be accurate to say that they have good diplomatic relationships with each other?
For example, I have mentioned (obscurely) in my Fan Fic Fantasy Blitzkrieg: Mission 3  that Wonderland and Oz have an Embassy and a High Commission respectively in Gensokyo.

Yukari brings in some hobgoblins from somewhere, and they don't seem too unhappy about so I guess you could call them legal immigrants. On the other hand, the Lunar Capital hates dirty Earthling scum. So it probably depends on a lot of things.

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 02:40:06 PM »
I'm still wondering how an entiety like this one should exist in Gensokyo. One of my characters is based off this legend.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 07:59:04 PM »

I'm still wondering how an entiety like this one should exist in Gensokyo. One of my characters is based off this legend.

Not a criticism, but have y'all considered asking these questions in PSL? They might be great help with these questions.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Drake

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 01:02:32 AM »

I'm sure everyone already knows of the "Spell Card Attack!!" lines on the spell card declaration, and probably most people know the "Border of Life" part of the spell card circle, but I didn't realize until now that the other part of the spell card circle (line 4, which is a combo of line 1 and the squiggle) also has text and isn't just random lines as I've thought for years: it says "Spell Card Attack of Little Girl..."

neat

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 03:18:53 AM »
I saw that when poking around in the files of somebody's danmakufu script, and thought it was something the scripter had edited in as a joke. I guess not.

Drake

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 04:47:33 AM »
To clarify, I've known the image for a long time, I just thought it was a bunch of decoration. I've tried looking for text in it before, but given how the last two lines are laid out I was probably looking at it upside-down.

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 01:51:24 AM »

I'm sure everyone already knows of the "Spell Card Attack!!" lines on the spell card declaration, and probably most people know the "Border of Life" part of the spell card circle, but I didn't realize until now that the other part of the spell card circle (line 4, which is a combo of line 1 and the squiggle) also has text and isn't just random lines as I've thought for years: it says "Spell Card Attack of Little Girl..."

neat
Lines 1-3 also say "Spell Card Attack of Little Girl..." I thought they were all just random lines, that's pretty cool.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 06:56:50 PM »
On the fantasy world relations...  I wonder how well Gensokyo relates to Fantastica (Neverending Story), especially given the significance of names in Fantastica, and the fact that the name roughly translates into Japanese as "Gensokyo".  Fantastica even has an empress that is for all intents and purposes Lolikari!  She even controls the border of Fantastica and the outside world through the AURYN.

Hell, I am shocked to find no crossover fics between Neverending Story and Touhou.  Makes you wonder if Michael Ende influenced ZUN in any way...  or what would happen if Kosuzu got a hold of the actual book...

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2015, 03:20:19 AM »
To quote one of your posts in the "Best series to crossover Touhou with" thread, Mr, NuclearFalcon:

The Neverending Story.  Seriously I have no idea why no fan fiction of it has ever been done before.  There are so many parallels it is not even funny.

Also the Touhou series itself references Alice in Wonderland.  Maybe Alice Margatroid having some tea with Alice Liddell could prove interesting.

In my opinion, Alice Margatroid is Alice Liddell. That's, in my headcanon, the result of Alice having somehow wandered from Wonderland to Gensokyo, and getting adopted by Shinki, while also adopting her "Margatroid" surname from (also my headcanon) Luize Margatroid.

PK

• Border of Whatever
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »
I always thought that not every boss is flying.
Yoshika for example is described as slow and easily to escape from because she's stiff and can't run fast, but if she could fly then having stiff legs wouldn't be a bother.

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2015, 11:13:22 AM »
I always thought that not every boss is flying.
Yoshika for example is described as slow and easily to escape from because she's stiff and can't run fast, but if she could fly then having stiff legs wouldn't be a bother.

I always assumed that Yoshika's body stiffness made it difficult for her to fly. She has difficulty moving, which therefore results in difficulty navigating around while flying, and hence she is clumsy while flying, yada yada...

Tribow

• pichuun
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2015, 03:53:07 PM »
What if Yoshika was just faking?
I always thought she can move fine, but she prefers to moving zombie-like manner.

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2015, 07:55:15 PM »
If Alice Liddell is Alice Margatroid then the Empress in Neverending Story could easily be Yukari in her Lolikari form.  Hey, she was sick and Yukari is known to take that form to "save power".  Also in the case of Alice it would appear she also got a haircut.

I always interpreted Yoshika's arms as her just following along the stereotype and that she CAN move them as necessary.

Kaizaki

• Pillager
  • I'm feeling lucky
    • GitHub
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2015, 10:54:10 PM »
I've always thought that Tewi was responsible for Mokou finding Kaguya in the first place:
1. She knows what's going on inside the Bamboo Forest, and would have known about Mokou, much like how she knew about Eientei.
2. She made a deal with Eirin ensuring humans would not approach them, but Mokou somehow ended up finding the princess anyway.
3. Kaguya would have been hidden inside Eientei, so Mokou finding her would mean the pyro finding the mansion, which would also mean Tewi didn't keep to the agreement in Mokou's case.
4. Mokou's official profile indicates that her meeting with the princess was through luck.

Added to the fact that Tewi is a probable cause of disagreements between the two, maybe it really is a conspiracy...

To reference Alice in Wonderland, I can imagine Mokou following a white rabbit, falling down a rabbit (trap) hole, finding a pile of rice cakes with a sign saying "Eat Me", meeting royalty tending to her plants while surrounded by servants, and---after causing a ruckus---having the aforementioned royalty wanting to go off with her head.

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2015, 11:37:56 PM »
I like to think most doujins about Kaguya and Mokou are technically canon, even the silly yurishipping doujins. Since they are ageless and will spend an infinite amount of time interacting with each other, all possible interactions have or will eventually be exhausted, even if the chance is extremely low.

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2015, 05:58:12 AM »
I like to imagine that Ringo always takes some dango with her wherever she goes just in case she has to engage in combat with someone or something.

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 12:54:23 AM »
I like to imagine that Ringo always takes some dango with her wherever she goes just in case she has to engage in combat with someone or something.

Speaking of Ringo if I remember correctly she has 5 dangos in her hand before her battle begins, and 2 after it ends.

It gave me a little headcanon that Ringo has to eat one dango for every spellcard she uses.

Tribow

• pichuun
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 02:46:18 AM »
I feel like Meiling would be really good at cooking.