Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 4, Part 2  (Read 58447 times)

Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 4, Part 2
« on: June 29, 2015, 08:01:26 PM »
>You are Byakuren Hijiri, 18 years old, resident of the city of Mayoiga, caretaker (owner) of Rin Kaenbyou, resident of the Moonside apartments, and third year student of Mayoiga High. A few days ago, you were the most popular girl in school, one of the most well-known and liked girls around town. And then you touched a strange doll, and saw a world not your own. That was the day that everything changed, and you became Magical Lotus, the Hero of the Heart.

>As trying as yesterday yes for you, today has been every bit as bad, if not more so. Granted, it started off well, with the arrival of a new neighbor into Moonside Apartments, one Sanae Kochiya, a new transfer student and friend. But while you were welcoming her to the neighborhood, you detected a connection between the captive Champion of Water and Patchouli Knowledge, a connection that was eroding the walls of Water's cell. And to make matters worse, the Champion of Air decided to pay you a visit. Despite your attempts to intercept her before she reached Moonside, she did eventually encounter Sanae, with whom she shared a connection similar to that between Patchy and Louise. Sanae, it turned out, was the Avatar of Air, her heart connected to that of Elis'. Now she shares the power of Makai and seems to have undergone a dramatic shift in personality.
>Although you might have been able to keep Patchouli and Louise separate, the enforced separation seemed to be having serious consequences for the both of them. Feeling that their lives may have been at risk, you brought Patchy into the Oubliette, and the connection between the two was finalized. Patchouli became the Avatar of Water. But while the first thing Sanae did was fulfill her lifelong dream of flying, Patchy's anger and resentment towards her parents boiled over, and while you were able to take some of the edge off of it, you were unable to dissuade her from her course. The newly minted Water Avatar took off into the sky, murder on her mind.
>For reasons you don't entirely understand, Louise did nothing to stop you from going after Patchouli. In fact, she almost seemed to encourage it. And nor, thus far, has she escaped from the Oubliette, despite Patchy knocking a very sizable hole in the walls of the dimensional jail.

>Back in reality, you took Reisen aside to give her a brief update on what had occurred. This conversation led to her gaining a ring of her own, one of yours, becoming Magical Poppy. While you felt guilty about recruiting the former soldier, you knew she would want to help Patcholi, and she's going to need power to do it. And now, with her help, you and your other allies, Lily and White Rose, are attempting a new and untested power, in the hope that you can get ahead of The Avatar of Water, to keep her from passing what may be the point of no return...

>Do we think we should get that image directly from Lily first, or should that be handled during the power linking and magic-weaving part of the process?
>Is there anything else in particular we'll need to do beyond the whole 'hold hands, join power, focus, and exert a lot of will?' bit?

>If you're right, it would be best to do it all at once.
>That should be sufficient. Just make sure to try and balance the energy flow between the four of you, or this spell could take more out of you than you want it to.

Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 4, Part 2
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 08:10:13 PM »
>"Focus and will."
>Let's link our hands together and connect our powers
>"I will lead, but I'll need all of your help to shoulder the burden. Are you ready?"

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:31:43 PM »
>"Focus and will."
>Let's link our hands together and connect our powers
>"I will lead, but I'll need all of your help to shoulder the burden. Are you ready?"

>"Always." White Rose says quickly.
>"Ready and willing!" Lily adds.
>Poppy sighs. "As I'm going to be."

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:35:13 PM »
>Nod
>"Then let's begin."
>Teleportation ritual: commence!

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 01:37:27 AM »
>Nod
>"Then let's begin."
>Teleportation ritual: commence!

>Despite her inexperience and her seemingly reflexive hesitation, Reisen seems to have no real trouble syncing your power with yours. She seems comfortable with you and especially Rin, though a bit less so with Lily. You expect that will change with time. Lily's a hard person to stay uncomfortable around. But the power flows from your comrades into your hands as, with your ring linked with Lily's once more, the image of Patchouli's family home comes into your mind. Along with some slight, faint images of frolicking rabbits and dancing butterflies. It IS Lily, after all, but you do get a good image of the Knowledge manor. It's a very European design, all blue stone and white marble with a slate roof. But even through Lily's eyes, the place does look a bit unwelcoming. The wrought iron fence encircling the place is evidence of that, and the tended grounds of the place seemed to indicate not so much a love of aesthetics, but a desire to set its owners apart from the people around them.

>While you would much prefer to have a target on the ground for this spell, since you can't be sure there won't be someone on the other end when you materialize, you settle for a spot around sixty or so feet off the ground. You'd prefer to have some water to land in in the even things go wrong, but there are no ponds or pools in evidence, and the marble fountain in the front drive isn't the best target either.
>And with that image firmly in mind (as firmly as you can make an unoccupied spot of open air) you take hold of the power given to you by your allies, and will yourself across the city.

>The sensation is not the most pleasant one in the world, if you're honest. For a moment, you're certain you've left a few bits of yourself behind, and there is a distinct stretching sensation, as though your whole body was made of putty and being pulled on by a determined teenager. Unlike the rainbow road leading down to the Oubliette, your vision is filled with blinding white, purple and pink streaks of light.
>And then these sensations fade as you return to reality, and immediately, the absence of anything solid beneath your feet makes you start to plummet.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 01:43:39 AM »
>Quickly conjure another flying disc beneath us to catch our fall - and make sure to catch Reisen as well, just in case she can't come up with her own solution to this. Well, Rin can probably handle herself, but still spare a look afterward in case she can't. Lily's obviously fine.
>I mean, assuming the gang's all here properly!

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 02:29:53 AM »
>Quickly conjure another flying disc beneath us to catch our fall - and make sure to catch Reisen as well, just in case she can't come up with her own solution to this. Well, Rin can probably handle herself, but still spare a look afterward in case she can't. Lily's obviously fine.
>I mean, assuming the gang's all here properly!

>It takes you a brief moment to adjust to the sensation of being in mid-air, and to get your wind back. Your prediction was right, the act of transporting yourself and your comrades was a tiring one. You avoid looking down, as the sensation of falling is disconcerting enough, and you don't need to make it any worse. After a moment's flailing, you manage to conjure up a disc big enough for you and indeed Reisen, as she seems to recover a little less quickly than you do. White Rose, who is here as well, actually activates her stepping disc before you do, and throws one beneath you as you form your own to field Poppy. And Lily is, of course, fine, as you predicted.
>And then you notice the sounds of grinding metal from beneath you, accompanied by a woman's voice cursing in Moscovian.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 02:33:59 AM »
>Quickly survey the situation below

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 02:46:11 AM »
>Quickly survey the situation below

>Below you, standing a few feet in front of the Knowledge's gate, is a shrine maiden in the silver colored hakama of the Tiger shrine. It is Anya, the leopard youkai, and she has seen action. Her clothing is dripping wet and damaged in places, and there is a large gash on her right arm, as well as over her left ribcage.
>The source of that damage is not too hard to spot. Floating about a hundred feet in the air in front of the shrine maiden is the Avatar of Water, surrounded by that aura of power, two large sphere of energy floating on either side of her. "I will not be be denied!" she roars at the feline miko before hurling the energy orbs at her.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 03:07:18 AM »
>Fly towards them and intercept Patchouli's attack with a Sapphire Lotus
>"Anya! What are you doing here?"

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 03:53:13 AM »
>Fly towards them and intercept Patchouli's attack with a Sapphire Lotus
>"Anya! What are you doing here?"

>Although your flight speed is slower than normal, due to carrying Reisen with you, your power's speed is not impeded, and as you send out a sapphire barrier, Poppy raises her hand and yells, "Caster: Safety Wall!" A shimmering red and blue shield appears in the air before Anya. Your Lotus blocks one of Patchy's attacks, while Reisen handles the other. And you're thankful for it, because the impact the Avatar's attack sends through your Sapphire Lotus is a significant one, and surprisingly hot as well.
>The miko points up at Patchouli. "That woman has assaulted a miko of the Bird shrine. She will answer for it."
>"Not to you." The Avatar snarls, electricity crackling along her aura. "Not to anyone. I answer to NO ONE!" Her scream is punctuated by jagged fingers of lightning cascading out from her body.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 03:56:59 AM »
>Can we tell what she is aiming at? Or does it not seem like this is aimed at anyone in particular?

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 03:59:37 AM »
>Can we tell what she is aiming at? Or does it not seem like this is aimed at anyone in particular?

>While the lightning doesn't seem to have specific targets, at least one of them is heading towards you, or possibly Anya. Its course is somewhat random. The others don't appear to be menacing anyone.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 04:05:38 AM »
>Keep a shield close to the both of us, in case it arcs in that direction, but don't waste power catching things that might course away harmlessly
>"Assaulted who? What happened before we got here?"

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 04:42:32 AM »
>Keep a shield close to the both of us, in case it arcs in that direction, but don't waste power catching things that might course away harmlessly
>"Assaulted who? What happened before we got here?"

>"Shrines stepped up patrols after last night." she says as she produces a paper charm. In response to the incoming lightning, Reisen throws out another one of her shields, which explodes upon impact with the electric strike but does stop it from harming anyone. "Sister from Bird shrine saw that woman, tried to question her. Woman attacked Sister."
>"She got in my way." The Avatar of Water growls, her hand glowing, preparing another strike. "Nobody will stand in my.... my...." She trails off as her eyes fall upon Magical Poppy, narrowing for a moment before widening in disbelief. "It can't be."

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 05:01:13 AM »
>Give her another brief moment, just to make sure she really has seen through the guise, and isn't leaping to some different conclusion
>But assuming that is what it still seems like, message Reisen: Tell her why you've come here. She claimed vengeance on your behalf as well, you know - against the people that have used you, that have hurt you. She believed it was something you would have wanted. Is she right?

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 04:33:05 PM »
>Give her another brief moment, just to make sure she really has seen through the guise, and isn't leaping to some different conclusion
>But assuming that is what it still seems like, message Reisen: Tell her why you've come here. She claimed vengeance on your behalf as well, you know - against the people that have used you, that have hurt you. She believed it was something you would have wanted. Is she right?

>Patchouli's hesitation gives the shrine maiden a chance to strike. With a brief incantation, she hurls her talisman up at Patchouli, the paper glowing silver as it flies. The charm expands into an amorphous mass of a silvery compound, which grows and engulfs the Avatar of Water.
>"What was that?" White Rose yells down at Anya.
>"Containment gel. Hold her for now." the miko explains as Patchouli thrashes within the goop. "Who is this woman?"

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 06:57:32 PM »
>Did we actually get that message off to Reisen or no?
>"She is... she is a friend of ours. But the power she is touched by has affected her personality; I swear she is not a violent person, normally."

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 08:37:53 PM »
>Did we actually get that message off to Reisen or no?
>"She is... she is a friend of ours. But the power she is touched by has affected her personality; I swear she is not a violent person, normally."

>Yes. She just didn't have time to answer before Anya used her magic on Patchy. Successfully, as well, by the look of it
>"Violence follows you." the sour faced miko observes.
>As for Reisen, she looks sadly upon the trapped Avatar, and shakes her head. Vengeance? No. I'm... tired of seeing people hurt.

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 08:50:32 PM »
>"More like we follow it. We knew she was coming here; we wanted to make sure she did not do something that cannot be undone. Something the woman she was would regret."
>"Is the other miko alright?"

>I tried to tell her, but she wouldn't listen. Wanted to repay the hurts done to you, tenfold. There is so much anger in her right now that I am not sure she could see how you would not want suffering visited upon those who brought you suffering, any more than a starving person would not want to eat.

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 12:07:20 AM »
>"More like we follow it. We knew she was coming here; we wanted to make sure she did not do something that cannot be undone. Something the woman she was would regret."
>"Is the other miko alright?"

>I tried to tell her, but she wouldn't listen. Wanted to repay the hurts done to you, tenfold. There is so much anger in her right now that I am not sure she could see how you would not want suffering visited upon those who brought you suffering, any more than a starving person would not want to eat.

>"Not sure. I did not have time to check. She moves fast."

>Even I didn't know how deep her anger ran. Or... Reisen's red eyes harden. Is it this power that did this to her?

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 12:27:36 AM »
>Did Patchouli's power give off a similar sense of resentment and isolation that Sanae's did?
>How similar/different was our impression of it compared to the rings Water made for Kiku and that other woman in the CRA?

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 01:24:42 AM »
>Did Patchouli's power give off a similar sense of resentment and isolation that Sanae's did?
>How similar/different was our impression of it compared to the rings Water made for Kiku and that other woman in the CRA?

>Not entirely. Both Patchouli's and Sanae's power comes from the dark places of the heart, the negative emotions the lurk within that can dominate a life if left unchecked. But Patchouli's ring carries a sense of abandonment, a hollow sensation. An long-standing emptiness that has been filled with the rage she holds.
>Completely different.

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 02:11:31 AM »
>I do not know the full extent of what becoming an Avatar does to a person. Sanae seemed to remember things she had not known until then, while Patchouli spoke only of hurts I knew she had suffered. But I do not think they were like this. I do not think this is just a result of gaining power to strike back at her resentments, but as though those wounds she had have been heightened somehow. I wish I understood it better; I might have a better idea how to help her.

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 04:11:25 AM »
>I do not know the full extent of what becoming an Avatar does to a person. Sanae seemed to remember things she had not known until then, while Patchouli spoke only of hurts I knew she had suffered. But I do not think they were like this. I do not think this is just a result of gaining power to strike back at her resentments, but as though those wounds she had have been heightened somehow. I wish I understood it better; I might have a better idea how to help her.

>Hopefully we can ask her once this is over.

>"Where did the other miko fight her?" Lily asks Anya while you speak to Reisen.
>The metal miko points to the west. "Next to bakery that way."
>Lily calls down to you, "Want me to check it out?"
>"I don't think you'll get the chance, look!" White Rose yells, pointing at the metallic goo surrounding Patchouli. The goo is boiling.

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 04:19:06 AM »
>Unsurprising. Nothing's that easy these days.
>If we had a few uninterrupted moments, do we think we could form some kind of energy cage around Patchouli that would be more efficient at absorbing blows than what shields we can construct on the fly? Not necessarily something that could hold her for very long, but which would cost her more energy to punch through than it cost us to set up? Maybe if we pooled our power to do it?

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »
>Unsurprising. Nothing's that easy these days.
>If we had a few uninterrupted moments, do we think we could form some kind of energy cage around Patchouli that would be more efficient at absorbing blows than what shields we can construct on the fly? Not necessarily something that could hold her for very long, but which would cost her more energy to punch through than it cost us to set up? Maybe if we pooled our power to do it?

>Given how effective earth magic has been against Makai powers so far, it's remarkable Anya's spell held the Avatar that long.
>You could, but you're not sure if you could do that without taking a lot of backlash from Patchy's attempts to break the cage. On the other hand, though, Lily should be able to. Her Petal Cyclone is designed to contain an enemy rather than damage it, it only serves to add to the damaging effects of yours and Rin's spells when she uses it in concert with yours. And likewise, Reisen didn't seem to show any signs of shock when she used those Wall spells of hers to block Patchy's attacks. If you pooled your energy with either one of them, you might be able to generate a cage around Patchy that would be a task for her to break, without having any severe repercussions on you or your allies. Apart from the energy expended, of course.

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 05:46:44 PM »
>Can we make even a rough estimate whether the process would be more tiring for us or for Patchy, given what we've seen so far?
>Do we have any sense that our Violet Lotus could accomplish anything against the dark emotions powering Patchouli? They're certainly not as pure as with youma, but do we think there's anything that our power might be even a little effective at softening?

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 07:17:24 PM »
>Can we make even a rough estimate whether the process would be more tiring for us or for Patchy, given what we've seen so far?
>Do we have any sense that our Violet Lotus could accomplish anything against the dark emotions powering Patchouli? They're certainly not as pure as with youma, but do we think there's anything that our power might be even a little effective at softening?

>Difficult to say without knowing just how deep Patchouli's power reserves are.
>It depends on whether or not the emotions are natural to her, or if they've been forced upon her by either the ring or the connection with Water or both. Your Violet Light was able to at least lessen the effects of the negative emotions affecting Kiku when the Water Champion was trying to recruit her, because those emotions were being manipulated by Water herself. But if these emotions really are Patchouli's own, your own power might not be able to affect them.

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »
>Quickly run this idea past our allies, see which feels more comfortable taking the lead with this, and then try to quickly erect one before Patchouli breaks free of the containment gel. If we can specify, translucent would be nice, so that one of us could theoretically have a conversation with her while contained. Assuming any part of this works at all, of course.