Author Topic: Fantasy Crescendo ~ Rumble Dream Ensemble (Touhou Smash Bros.)  (Read 79222 times)

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
Hello, everyone! Savory here! I've put off mentioning this here until the flames started by the group who shall not be named had petered out. I think now is a good time to announce this.

A group of Touhou fans (yours truly included) have begun to work on our own Touhou x Smash Bros. fan game. We are currently looking for members to move the progress of the game's creation along.

While we plan on starting small with a demo of 3 characters and 3 stages, we plan to include a total of 8 characters and an additional number of stages by the time we reach v1.0. We plan to include game play modes such as a classic arcade mode and online multiplayer if possible, as well as a "conquest" mode. Additionally, should the game be developed to full, more stages and characters will be developed in the future.

Characters confirmed to appear in the demo (art courtesy of my friend, who goes by Profit Shame)

Reimu Hakurei

Marisa Kirisame

Wriggle Nightbug

And here is a little sneak peek at the modeling progress for our Reimu fighter!

---

Now! Here is where I ask for help. What are we looking for? While we do have members of our team working on everything we need, we do not have nearly enough people to develop the game in a timely fashion. Here are some positions we need filled:

Unity programmers - These are the guys who actually make the game, obviously implementing what everyone else gives them. We are looking for people who know how to work in Unity 5 and program in C#. If you need access to the code, you can find it at our Github repo.

Concept Artists - We have concepts, but can you illustrate them? We are looking for people who can turn ideas into things that are actually usable to the people developing the game.

2D and 3D artists - We are looking for people who can flesh out various models, including characters, stages, and other items. Additionally, we are looking for 2D artists who can assist with creating various elements of the UI, among other things. 3D art can be done in anything, though keep in mind that rigging will be done in Maya, so keep in mind that your files need to be compatible with Maya.

Animators - Characters don't move by themselves. We are looking for people who have sufficient enough 3D rigging and animation skills to get the characters to do what we want. Most of this will likely be done in Maya.

Musicians and Foley Artists - As we all know, Touhou is known for its iconic music themes, and thus music is an integral part to completing the game. We are looking for musical artists who can contribute arranges of classic Touhou themes to be used throughout the game. As per ZUN's guidelines, we are not allowed to use the games' official sounds, and thus we are looking for people who can create sound effects.

Finally, to alleviate some potential concerns, we have learned from the mistakes of that group who shall not be named.  We are an unpaid team making this for fun, not profit. We have decided to use donationware as a means of attaining funds, as allowed in ZUN's guidelines.

Thank you for your time and please wish us luck!

Also, please cast your vote in the Genso Shojokosen Character Poll! This will be ongoing until further notice.

---

UPDATES

• Software (GPL v3.0) and content (CC BY-NC-SA v4.0) licenses added.
  • Added information/documentation on how to contribute to the project. Viewable here.
  • Opened our Open Mailbox. Email your submissions to teahouse.hourai@gmail.com. See the above contributing information for more details.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:20:33 PM by Savory »

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
Re: Genso Shojokosen (Touhou Smash Bros.)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 08:54:25 AM »
Finally, to alleviate some potential concerns, we have learned from the mistakes of that group who shall not be named.
That's all I needed to hear, good luck.

Drake

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
Neat. I'm quite interested in how you intend to develop this alongside OpenSmash, which also seems to be early-ish in its development. I'm sure you've thought about how to reconcile this, so can I spare some thoughts from the managers or programmers themselves?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Paz legalces

• Namusan
  • Howdy, I am Potato
    • Touhou Project FB
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 12:35:12 PM »
Wow, that Reimu's model is truly delicious from the look of it 'v'b
Do you mind if I was to... spread this news around a bit or would you still prefer for this to stay underwrap within the forum for development reason right now?

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 01:38:30 PM »
As someone who followed a certain project similar to this one, I'm intrigued by your efforts in combining two of my favorite video game franchises.

I can likely help with 2D art, such as UI elements and iconography. PM me if there's anything specific you have in mind.

EDIT: I won't be able to contribute until mid-August.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:29:28 AM by aUsernameIsFineToo »

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 02:27:09 PM »
That model alone even as a WIP is still much better than that previous project in style. I am already looking forward to this! I don't think I have the skills to help out, unfortunately, but I wish you luck all the same (and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to avoid the controversy that surrounded that project).
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

gtbot

• Master of ScreenSplit
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 02:34:55 PM »
Ooh I was waiting for another project to eventually appear, good luck!  :D

What iteration of Smash do you plan to closely resemble? (64/Melee/Brawl/Sm4sh)
please tell me you won't have a wavedash button

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 03:13:59 PM »
Neat. I'm quite interested in how you intend to develop this alongside OpenSmash, which also seems to be early-ish in its development. I'm sure you've thought about how to reconcile this, so can I spare some thoughts from the managers or programmers themselves?

I will get back to you once I relay this to them.

Do you mind if I was to... spread this news around a bit or would you still prefer for this to stay underwrap within the forum for development reason right now?

Oh, by all means! We'd appreciate that.

What iteration of Smash do you plan to closely resemble? (64/Melee/Brawl/Sm4sh)

Sm4sh. And no, no wavedash button.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:18:31 PM by Savory »

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 03:22:59 PM »
By the way, are you going to try implementing...uh, "mechanically unusual" fighters? *cough*ryu*cough*

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 03:28:20 PM »
The other 5 characters aren't decided yet, right? I can foresee this game getting popular when it's done (and if it has netplay), so I think it'd be nice if the other 5 characters are those who didn't get to appear in a fighting game yet.
Spoiler:
Or add Sumireko, you can never have enough Sumireko.

Is development of this going to be transparent (for lack of a better word), like the previous Smash was? With in-dev videos showing progress and stuff.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 03:38:38 PM »
Characters confirmed to appear in the demo (art courtesy of my friend, who goes by Profit Shame)
I knew I saw that style before, he's a nice dude.

Ah, well, can't have everything, I guess...

Good luck anyway.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 03:45:06 PM »
By the way, are you going to try implementing...uh, "mechanically unusual" fighters? *cough*ryu*cough*

At the moment, we are not sure if we'd implement the same mechanics as Ryu for any other character in our current roster or otherwise.

The other 5 characters aren't decided yet, right? I can foresee this game getting popular when it's done (and if it has netplay), so I think it'd be nice if the other 5 characters are those who didn't get to appear in a fighting game yet.
Spoiler:
Or add Sumireko, you can never have enough Sumireko.

Is development of this going to be transparent (for lack of a better word), like the previous Smash was? With in-dev videos showing progress and stuff.

All of the characters are decided for the most part. As for development, we'd like for it to be transparent, but we cannot say just yet.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 03:49:06 PM »
By the way, speaking of cribbing from other fighting games, Wriggle totally needs a Genocide Cutter. :V
#Genocide4Wriggle

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 06:08:44 PM »
Signed up to the forums to say that i'm excited for this! Love the 3D model and hope to see more WIP soon!  :]

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 06:11:41 PM »
Nice! I'm glad to see another project like this pop up.

Finally, to alleviate some potential concerns, we have learned from the mistakes of that group who shall not be named.  We are an unpaid team making this for fun, not profit. We have decided to use donationware as a means of attaining funds, as allowed in ZUN's guidelines.
Thank you, I'm already reassured as far as that's concerned.

At the moment, we are not sure if we'd implement the same mechanics as Ryu for any other character in our current roster or otherwise.
All of the characters are decided for the most part. As for development, we'd like for it to be transparent, but we cannot say just yet.
I'd personally like to see unusual mechanics like Ryu's (which really aren't that unusual for fighting games, but for a smasher they are) but it's your decision. Also who are all the planned characters? PleasesayKaguyaFlanorReisen. Or are you not saying yet?

Nice, closer to Sm4sh than Melee. I like that.

By the way, speaking of cribbing from other fighting games, Wriggle totally needs a Genocide Cutter. :V
#Genocide4Wriggle
Yes, please.

Anyway, I hope this one goes better than the last one. That said, I can't do any of what is required, so I can't help beyond giving feedback. Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 08:18:55 AM by Flandre5carlet »

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 06:15:02 PM »
Also who are all the planned characters?

Sorry, that information is confidential and I'm sure you know that.  :3

We might reveal more as time goes on though.

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 06:31:12 PM »
Sorry, that information is confidential and I'm sure you know that.  :3

We might reveal more as time goes on though.
Yeah, so I thought. I just hope my favourites get in. ^^'

Gabo7

• 3D Artist & Programmer
  • Watatsukiphile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 06:42:48 PM »
Hello guys!

3D modeler reporting for duty.

Some of my works: http://gabo-7.deviantart.com/

I could help with the levels and items. I'm not that good at characters (yet)

Currently I'm helping another touhou fangame so my free time isn't much for now, but would like to help!

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 06:48:08 PM »
I don't have experience with C#/Unity but I do know several other languages. If you still need more programmers I'd love to help.

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 06:51:59 PM »
Im interested in joining (from 20 july ). I might be able to help as 3d artist or concept artist.

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 07:04:19 PM »
I'm interested in helping out with programming. Was quite disappointed when the previous take on a Touhou Smash deflated. Currently I'm working on a commercial Unity-based game though, and have engagements all the way up to the end of the year. So at least for now I'd ask whats your rough timetable for development? If you expect it to run well into 2016 and still need an additional programmer then, I'd love to join in. C# is also what I work with for Unity.

Trickster-kun

• Well, well, well...
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 07:44:47 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to do this! I will look forward to the finished product.  :3
~Yesterday was all I had. Today is all I have. Tomorrow is all I want.~

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 08:05:15 PM »
Programmer question: Do you have some sort of version control in place right now?

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 08:44:36 PM »
Thanks, guys! I will be PMing those who offered to help.

Programmer question: Do you have some sort of version control in place right now?

Not as of yet.

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 09:16:15 PM »
Oh man, I am not good with a lot of things but drawing, so I'd love to help out with concept arts if you haven't got too many people yet!

Here's my new sliver of hope for orin to be playable somewhere ever
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 01:03:43 PM by Peachems »

james7132

• Sleepyhead Programmer
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 11:01:23 PM »
I don't have experience with C#/Unity but I do know several other languages. If you still need more programmers I'd love to help.

Sup, y'all. I'm currently the de facto main programmer on this project, and we could definitely use some help. I have been pretty busy as of late due to job searching, so not much has been done on the programming front for a long while. If you want, the code is currently viewable at this Github repo.

Last commit was in March (-_-). Feel free to fork it and change whatever you like. If you have any issues, it would be best to either PM me here or better yet log the issue on the github tracker.

There's currently an issue with dealing with large git repos, which is temporarily getting solved with a git submodule to contain all of the large binary files (models, music, etc). I applied for Github's LFS (large file service) and hopefully that will alleviate any issue we related to clunky large repos. If you have trouble accessing the assets repo, please contact me.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:07:28 PM by james7132 »

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 11:07:28 PM »
Edited the main post, adding the link to our Github near the topic of Unity programmers.

Eiburine

• Ferrero Rocher Lover
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 11:49:48 PM »
Hmm :3c I'd like to help out with concept and 2d art.

I'm glad someone decided to make a Touhou Smash :D

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 12:55:37 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen, we are happy to announce the opening of our
Genso Shojokosen: Battle Maiden Character Poll
. Here you will be able to vote for three characters (based on your preferences) that you'd like to appear as playable in the game.

The poll will go on indefinitely until further notice.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 03:50:28 PM by Savory »

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 02:02:45 AM »
My friends and I are rooting for this project do your best!
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?