Author Topic: Reanimation  (Read 8462 times)

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
Reanimation
« on: August 24, 2009, 01:34:55 AM »
Okay this is a simple question, one that might not even require that much thought, but I just thought I'd run this by a few guys to see if it's actually possible.

Okay here's what I got - Since youkai like tsukumogami's can become living things (or at least become animated objects, but let's just use Kogasa's case as an example since we're in the ZUNverse) if they sit around for 100 years. I was thinking that other things could do the same, most likely fossils. Now I know that fossils usually date back for millions of years, but hear me out for a sec before you call this crazy.

Let's assume that there's a fossilized skeleton of a dinosaur sitting around somewhere in Gensokyo, would it be possible for the fossil itself to regain the original form of the dinosaur and thus become what is, essentially, a dinosaur youkai (or a Phantom Dinosaur) via the same method of a tsukumogami? I think there's a small chance that this might be possible, if you believe that spiritual energy could posses the fossils and give them life again.

Or maybe we could say that since people think Dinosaurs are exticnt they thus can appear in Gensokyo, much like how Rinnosuke said that things that are forgotten end up in Gensokyo or whatever (too lazy to check source, but I think that's the gist of it, feel free to correct me if I'm totally off base on this).

I dunno, it's probably silly for me to think of stuff like this, but it came up while I was writing and wanted to see what you guys thought or if you think it's actually possible.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
Re: Reanimation
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 01:45:05 AM »
would it be possible for the fossil itself to regain the original form of the dinosaur and thus become what is, essentially, a dinosaur youkai (or a Phantom Dinosaur) via the same method of a tsukumogami?
Yes, but it will transform into the appearance of a 8-24 years old female.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 01:47:25 AM by shinyjam »

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:08:16 AM »
Well, tsukumogami only comes from tools that reach their 100 years regardless of their treatment. If kept in good order and used well, that tools becomes a happy and well mannered spirit (or god, I forgot which... ^^;) whereas a broken tool that gets ignored becomes more angry and hates humans more.

Though, it would be cool to see a dinosaur youkai. I'm sure there's probably something in the Japanese mythos that could make it possible, just not this one.

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 02:56:11 AM »
I get where you're coming from.

Another thought that passed my head: is there a chance that the fossil won't necessarily become a dinosaur youkai in the flesh, but rather, a fossilized dinosaur youkai?

Hyper Dunk

• I'm a Double Dragon.
  • I will fight everyone.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 02:58:31 AM »
Yukari should go through a border and get Tyrannosatan from Death Smiles.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 03:00:41 AM »
Firestorm is right.
And yes, since dinosaurs are extinct, they can show up in Gensokyo.

Von Stein

• Just some insane airhead.
  • What's this newfangled stuff?
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 04:10:48 AM »
would it be possible for the fossil itself to regain the original form of the dinosaur and thus become what is, essentially, a dinosaur youkai (or a Phantom Dinosaur) via the same method of a tsukumogami?

This.

That is unless there is an appropriate female around that the dinosaur follows obediently.

At least that's how it seems to be in the ZUNverse.
Can't think of a good signature.
More lilies maybe?

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 04:17:00 AM »

If someone can photoshop this cover to be Touhou-related, you'll get something awesome from me.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 05:16:17 AM »
Unless she happens to come back like the zombie fairies that follows Orin around.  Or maybe a pet like Unzan... sort of.  I dunno.

Omnifish

• One Fish To Rule Them All
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 05:25:10 AM »

Horrible attempt at MS paint...

Anyway, don't only crafted objects become tsukumogami? Although if the fossil was made into jewelry or something I guess that would work.

There doesn't seem to be any reason the extinction=present in Gensokyo method of getting a dinosaur wouldn't work though.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 05:30:44 AM »

Horrible attempt at MS paint...

Anyway, don't only crafted objects become tsukumogami? Although if the fossil was made into jewelry or something I guess that would work.

There doesn't seem to be any reason the extinction=present in Gensokyo method of getting a dinosaur wouldn't work though.
That said, do assembly-line objects count?  I just though of this but the first assembly-line produced cars are now turning or rapidly approaching 100 years old.  Car tsukumogami anyone?

Omnifish

• One Fish To Rule Them All
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 05:39:57 AM »
According to wikipedia, tsukumogami are repelled by electricity, so probably not.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 05:44:36 AM »
Firestorm is right.
Yes Dinosaurs exist, but do people belive in them?

Von Stein

• Just some insane airhead.
  • What's this newfangled stuff?
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 05:49:57 AM »

People in the outside world don't believe that dinosaurs exist anymore. Except of those that do. Just like people don't believe in ghosts...except those that do...and people don't believe in UFOs...except...you get the point.
Can't think of a good signature.
More lilies maybe?

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 05:52:37 AM »
Firestorm is right.
Seems like people believe in Little Foot and The Land Before Time 1~infinity

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 05:53:59 AM »
Firestorm is right.
You've got it backwards -- for something to exist in Gensokyo, it requires active disbelief, and possibly for people to have previously believed in them (c.f. Curiosities of Lotus Asia, in which Rinnosuke deduces that the crested ibis is going extinct because of a sudden proliferation of them in Gensokyo, or SSiB, in which he is able to easily find information on the moon landings because enough people were starting to think they'd been faked).

Specific fictional characters like Light Yagami don't exist in Gensokyo, of course, because of suspension of disbelief. ;)

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 01:14:51 PM »
Well, there is an actual population of creationists who believe the earth was created in seven days and that dinosaur fossils are all fake. It just isn't large enough, apparently (and thankfully).  :V
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 01:56:57 PM »
I'd like me a dinosaur loli.

Lexica

• Phantom Princess
  • Well erm...
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 10:39:19 PM »
I'm struggling to imagine what Frieza would look in a loli-form...
Anything to eat... perhaps?

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 10:59:27 PM »

There's Satori already.

shinyjam

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 03:29:04 AM »
Male version is call shota...

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 03:38:34 PM »

There's Satori already.
... but ... Frieza isn't a satori ...

Male version is call shota...
Yeah but we're talking about Touhou; therefore lolis.

shinyjam

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 03:45:44 PM »
Yeah but we're talking about Touhou; therefore lolis.
Rule of Touhou: Unless he has the ability to change gender...otherwise he will never be shown in Gensokyo unless he's insignificantly weak but had interesting ability like Rin.

cleartailcat

• Idiot Shouta
  • Missing
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 06:49:08 AM »
Quick, someone draw a dinosaur loli! Bonus points for fossilized dinosaur loli.