Author Topic: How many times have you seen Touhou references in non-Touhou works?  (Read 15372 times)

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
Question is in the title...

I'm asking it because...

Just today, I was watching this Discovery Channel TV series (made in Britain, no less) that introduces fancy gadgets that has yet to be released to the public, and said episode eventually moved to a UK Comic-Con revenue (not sure which year they filmed that episode) to introduce a few gadgets that are on display there. As expected for a Comic-Con event, there were attendees Cosplaying characters from various works of fiction, and I happen to spot in the background Cosplayers that are Cosplaying Raiden from Metal Gear Rising, Chun-Li from Street Fighters, Link from The Legend Of Zelda, and many others...

But then, as the filming crews are done introducing the gadgets on display there, the camera, for a brief second, focused on a Cosplayer in a familiar witch outfit.
Yes, although the cameraman may have intended to film a random attendee passing by, he happened to film a Marisa Cosplayer! In a British gadget documentary!

I was excited for the rest of the day, after seeing a Touhou character being referenced on live TV, even if an unintended one for just one second...
Good to know that Touhou is everywhere in the world.

In case you're wondering, this series is called Gadget Man, and said episode is aired in the series' second/third (not sure which) season.
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Shadow1176

• Garden of Death
  • Reaper
In a game known as Recettear: An Item's Shop's Tale, where a weapon utilizes a wave of Danmaku bullets.

In videos of various conventions where Touhou cosplayers have popped up or were even featured as Cosplay standouts.

I think Jojo's Bizarre Adventures has some, but I'm not sure. Conversely, Fantasy Heaven is a reference to Fist of the North Star.

I'm sure that there are many others, but I don't know of them.
That time, is breakfast time!
My Fanfiction Profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2752493/Shadow1176
My Deviantart Account: http://shadow1176.deviantart.com/

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
First saw such a reference in Pani Poni Dash, which came as no surprise to me in a show so steeped in otaku references that subbers felt the need to release a 30-page PDF of annotations with it.

You can find a whole slew of other references here. You might find there were references in place you overlooked, which is always fun.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

The main character of the puzzle game Deadly Rooms of Death is called Beethro.

The most recent version of DROD adds an achievement system to the game, and after its release, the makers have gone back and added achievements that can be earned in the earlier games when played in the new engine.

One early puzzle room in the third game, The City Beneath, requires you to lure out and kill four monsters, with the only land you can step on being a grid of trapdoors (each of which drops after being stepped on once). There is an achievement for solving this puzzle while dropping every trapdoor and finishing on the far side of the field.

The achievement is called "The Bridge Beethro Can No Longer Cross".

Ps

• Hiding from LoLK spoilers
Hayate the Combat Butler is another series with references to everything. In chapter 82 (vol. 8, p127 in the English release), Nagi mentions Touhou when she's rattling off a list of otaku things that she's forced her pet tiger to do. Hearing the list, Hayate realizes why the animal's personality is so twisted.

I don't know if this counts as a reference or not, but I remember someone asking about Touhou in the Letters to the Editor column of Oh My Goddess. There wasn't anything about Touhou in the story to prompt the question; letters are frequently off-topic because the editor, Carl Gustav Horn, is so polite and well-informed and people want to know his opinions on things. He hadn't played it, but liked the visuals because it was like fighting with fireworks or flowers.  (I wish I could remember the exact quote, but it's in a volume I don't own.)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
League of Legends has several Touhou references as items: Youmuu's Ghostblade, Wriggle's Lantern are/were the most obvious ones and several more probably.

Shadow1176

• Garden of Death
  • Reaper
League also has Lux who's creator actually stated that she was based off of Marisa.
That time, is breakfast time!
My Fanfiction Profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2752493/Shadow1176
My Deviantart Account: http://shadow1176.deviantart.com/

Lux is even capable of using Final Spark, and yes it is actually called that in game.

I know that one of the more rarely used facial expressions in Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 is a Yukkuri face. Though that game's stuffed with references anyway.

Camilo113

• Luck, Resilience and Perseverance
  • Gensokyo is capable of change
I think Jojo's Bizarre Adventures has some, but I'm not sure.

It's the other way around m8.

WodofGar

• Virtual Cartographer
  • Double Spoiler was my birthday present.
Re: How many times have you seen Touhou references in non-Touhou works?
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 09:52:35 PM »
I know it's not explicitly from a game, but profile pictures on YouTube. When I found Touhou for the first time and started seeing profile pictures of the characters very, very, very, often, I knew that it had been around me longer than I could have ever known. I've even watched videos of Touhou things before back in 2006-2009ish and didn't even realize it.

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
  • Cultured Tastes Since 1994
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 04:44:28 PM »
These pages from Monster Musume.  There's another page between the two but for some reason I can't find it.  I hope this scene ends up in the anime :ohdear:

There's also these two palettes from Peacock and Squigly in Skullgirls.  Interestingly enough, Peacock also has an attack that can drop a yukkuri (small chance, but it happens), and her Cirno palette is her 9th palette.

Emerald Mint

• Gemstone
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 06:40:47 PM »
In Loch Modan in Azeroth, there is a quest called A Tiny Clever Commander that required killing of a kobold named "Commander" Nazrim. Blizz seem to play these games a fair bit too.
Also these NPCs in Winterspring:
Marcy Curtainfire
Remma Curtainfire
Rinno Curtainfire
Sana Curtainfire

pineyappled

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 07:44:58 PM »

backer reward in pillars of eternity

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 07:51:21 PM »
Reirnu Halxijrei

This made me shout-laugh.

Find her with Marirsa Karskdjfskdjgsme.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 08:51:34 PM »
Touhou online folks made a similar thread here

Most of these can already be seen in the wiki, but just throwing this in  :V

WodofGar

• Virtual Cartographer
  • Double Spoiler was my birthday present.
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 09:03:20 PM »
I believe TV Tropes has a list too.

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 03:45:56 AM »
You want to tell me this wasn't intentional?
Same palette and everything.

_dk

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 08:12:59 AM »
I don't know if this counts, but a series of Touhou cosplay pics just won bronze prize in a category of a  French photography contest  :V

http://www.px3.fr/winners/zoom2.php?eid=1-50202-15&uid=3247133&count=0&cat=Press
http://www.px3.fr/winners/cat_details.php?cat_name=Press&compName=PX3%202015&pro=student the mention is here

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 08:45:39 PM »
Aside pages like image boorus'/devianart and doujinshi pages, the most references to Touhou I saw was while playing Osu!
If you don't know what it is, it's one of the most popular rhythm games now, which currently have at least few millions registered players and few billions ranked plays. Beatmaps are made by players, so there are many Touhou based maps, both with Touhou music and art, which are very easy to encounter while playing online. I think that one of few default maps you get after installing game (either it's default or I just happen to download it first) is Tear Rain with Marisa's and Reimu's art.

So, all Osu! players who play at least a little in multiplayer, just have to come in contact with Touhou   :]

I saw many Touhou pictures or even some cosplays before finding out 'what it is', then after playing some of Epic Battle Fantasy games I even tried playing Subterranean Animism, but what really made me into finding out more about Touhou was seeing these fancy clothed girls over and over, while playing Osu!  :)

Then... it started. And after getting interested with Touhou, it absorbs me more and more.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 08:47:50 PM by Vilikusan »

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 08:28:10 AM »
Personally, twice.

One is the aforementioned Pani Poni Dash OVA.
The other is Umineko Naku Koro ni .

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 08:01:29 PM »
Found something that might be a coincidence, but...

In Disgaea 4, the Mothman have a magichange skill called "Moth danmaku" (the translators gave a "Moth barrage" but it really is danmaku in the JP version), and it involves spamming lots of bullets in a pattern that the enemies'll try to dodge in panic. Of course, "danmaku" is not exclusive to Touhou, but only Touhou gives it some relevance. Maybe it is a very, very indirect Touhou reference ? I mean, c'mon, it's Disgaea  :V

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 09:05:08 PM »
You're seeing what you want to see. The pattern is extremely simple and generic and the bullets aren't even colorful.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 09:11:48 PM »
You're seeing what you want to see. The pattern is extremely simple and generic and the bullets aren't even colorful.
Found something that might be a coincidence, but...
(Refering to the reference to the "danmaku" rather than the danmaku pattern itself)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:15:38 PM by Suspicious person »

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 10:44:35 PM »
That's like thinking some game with a platforming segment is indirectly referencing Mario. In video games danmaku has been used since the late 90s to refer to bullet patterns with lots of bullets like those found in games in the style of Battle Garegga and DoDonPachi. The term itself predates video games and is used for other things too.