Author Topic: Songs that Make You Cry  (Read 10122 times)

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
Songs that Make You Cry
« on: May 19, 2015, 08:17:13 PM »
I have been holding onto this idea for a while because I'm afraid it'll just go unnoticed. I've finally decided to give this a shot. To me it's a fun alternative to the usual "what's your favorite song" topics. Hopefully it fairs better than my previous attempts at starting discussions. :blush:

Here we post songs that make you cry (or at least emotional) whenever you hear them. It can be for any reason. Maybe it reminds you of a lost loved one. Maybe it's part of your favorite soundtrack. Maybe it's just a very beautiful song. No matter the reason, feel free to share your sensitive side.

I'll start with one of my favorite orchestral pieces from one of my favorite movies: "Titan Spirit" by Trevor Rabin from the movie Remember the Titans. Playing during the climax of the movie, this song sends me on a veritable roller coaster of emotions. From struggle to hope to triumph, this song embodies everything that the movie is about. Like most people, the 2nd half is the part that really brings me to tears, mainly the part leading up to and including
Spoiler:
the final touchdown and post-game celebration
from ~4:35 to the end.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
Re: Songs that Make You Cry
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 12:31:32 AM »
Oh, neat topic alert.  Reminds me of something from Tumblr I replied to.  It's not necessarily crying, but it definitely qualifies as getting lots of emotion from me.  Copy-pasted below, with a link to the song above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b8yyVczZ10

Anyway, I have liked lots of music before. There have been some I liked the sound of, others I even related to the lyrics, but never had I heard one that I felt a powerful emotional response to purely based on the music itself.

Then I heard Snow Halation. I still have not shed a tear in over a decade, but?this song brings me awfully close. I don?t understand it, either. It is not happiness(though I?m pretty sure it?s supposed to be a happy song). It is not sadness. I simply FEEL so strongly, such a powerful rush of emotion is drawn forth, that I can?t help it. It?s a comfort, reminding me that yes, I too can feel to this degree.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 05:24:37 AM »
I'm going to be a rebel and post some classical music. Shock and horror
Scriabin Deux Po?mes, Op 32 no 1
Scriabin Etude Op 42 no 5
Both played by Vladimir Horowitz, because who else?
It's not so much a rush of emotion because I associate any with it, but more like every fiber in my body starts to quiver with... something, life, maybe, over the sheer beauty of it. Tears out of beauty, and not so much because I feel the sadness or the feels or anything.

In terms of Touhou music, I've always felt that Alice in Wonderland from MS had one of the most melancholic and moving melody of all Touhou songs.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:30:17 AM »
https://youtube.com/watch?v=RgKAFK5djSk

It's been a long day without you, my friend
And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
We've come a long way from where we began
Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
When I see you again.

For Touhou song, its Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind. First time I heard it, I cried because of its epicness.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 01:08:51 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdW7m22OMhk
Brings tears to my eyes every time, especially after that last episode. It was one of the only things I've seen that made me shed tears (the others being Little Reimu and the last fight in Fury)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qWGLgrD6MM
Even though a lot of people hate on the prequels, they can't hate on John Williams' ability to stir emotion. And just the way that Order 66 went down, that was really harsh. Even more with the expanded universe behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrrBEXbhRLQ
God, this song with the bagpipes. It just has so many emotions going through it, just like an emotional roller coaster. The gentle notes at the beginning, then the beat joining in. The bagpipes just add a sense of mystic to it. It carries so many emotions for me, especially after Meiling's route. It was one of the inspirations for the fanfic I'm writing.

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 10:50:02 PM »
Heh, since everyone else is also doing Touhou themes I may as well throw in one too.

Figuring my Top 7 list for the 11th annual popularity poll reminded me of Night Sakura of Dead Spirits, more specifically the piano cover linked. There's a reason I consider this my 2nd favorite song, even beyond the fact that it's just so damn well written. Around the time Touhou 13 came out I had set out to commit suicide, and afterwards attended a lot of small group meetings. A lot of times during breaks I would go outside and play this song/cover on my phone and just enjoy the music. It's so beautifully melancholic that I feel peace when listening to it, and I have a dream still of one day learning to play the song on piano myself.

1CC List (all shmups)

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 12:47:02 AM »
Alice => Dere is one of my favorite songs, especially when I'm sad. The song itself presents itself as cheerful, but knowing the lyrics (as well as knowing the video that accompanies it) makes me want to cry. (admittedly I'm pretty heavy into Mari-Ali shipping though)

Green Eyed Jealousy and the many many arrangements for it also place very high in my favorite songs. The base song in itself is very sad at it's heart, and I sometimes play it on loop when I'm really depressed.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Ps

• Hiding from LoLK spoilers
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 05:59:45 AM »
After seeing the video for *Hello, Planet。, I can no longer make it through the song without crying. It's kind of a shame because the chiptune in the song is really well done, but I always press skip because I don't want to be depressed.

Sometimes I cry at the end of Mahou Shoujo Saisen☆Reimu. That's because when I first heard it, I painted a scene in my head where cute little Reimu lives as a magical girl fighting unspeakable horrors (like, as the song mentions, tentacle monsters). The guitar solo is the backdrop of her greatest, most dangerous battle yet. The slow part after that is when she's dead under the rubble. It perks up again when she resurrects, and that's when I start crying, because I'm happy she's not dead.

Pray makes me cry too. Then I remember that the next song on the album is Border of Extacy and start laughing.

I cried a lot to Change by Manic Drive the summer after I graduated high school, while I was working through some personal issues. It's such a melancholy song, with deep swells of bass like a swimming pool of sound. A vacant swimming pool at the end of a wasted August, with no direction or future.

As for Touhou, Green-Eyed Jealousy probably comes closest because it makes me feel inadequate. It's the soundtrack to being a complete failure. The only thing I can do is beat Parsee as fast as possible and go party with Yuugi.

...It's weird looking over this list because I usually think of myself as unhealthily unemotional, but here I seem like a sobbing wreck. Just yesterday I was crying while listening to Saqwz's remix of Dancing Stars on Me because it just made me feel so happy.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 09:30:07 AM »
Not a Touhou song of course, but This might be the only song to ever invoke a reaction anywhere close to crying.

Tribow

• pichuun
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 11:32:34 PM »
During my kid years I was quite the emotional person, and this is where I ran into the first song that made me cry.

02's theme in kirby 64.
I'm not sure why now, but that song seemed so sad to me.

Also, a lot of songs by TAMUSIC are cry worthy.

oh look at that, new gifs
(I apologize if I made you constantly reload)

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 07:08:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BTjZ9U5XF8&index=43&list=PLFA87E0DFC0A1E984

Legit Penguindrum spoilers, if you haven't watched yet, DON'T RUIN IT FOR YOURSELF!
Spoiler:
Let's share the fruit of fate!

I mean, it's very clearly the scene associated with it that did it but, the music just downright makes it emotional cheating ;_;.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 05:19:33 PM »
It takes a lot for a song to make me cry. But this a cappella, single voice, Spanish-language version of Roy Orbison's "Crying" rips my heart out and dropkicks it through a window into a river of hydrogen peroxide. If you can watch and listen to this entire thing and feel nothing, take your fedora back to Reddit.

Where Touhou is concerned, Lullaby of a Deserted Hell gets to me, for personal reasons. Reminds me of the summer of 2009, which was a great summer, but also the last good summer I had with my family before getting divorced the following year. We're all on great terms now and all, and I'm ecstatic in my new relationship, but there's still something bittersweet about looking back and seeing you were in the peak of the good times in a situation without even knowing it at the time.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 06:19:13 PM »
There are not many songs which have managed to make me cry, but...

For one, there is "Koma" by Saltatio Mortis, which, as you may be able to guess, is a german song about a person lying in a coma. The desperate pleas to "hold on to me" during the chorus, as well as the ending to the song... yeah. It does not help that it reminds me of the deaths of my grandparents.

For another, there is "Cliffs of Gallipoli" by Sabaton, which is based on a speech given by Mustafa Kemal Atat?rk on the casualties of the gallipoli campaign during WW I. It is just very emotional, both the lyrics and the music.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 12:51:53 AM »
I consider myself pretty resilient--sat through Madoka dry-eyed and all--but anything having to do with parental abandonment just destroys me. I don't really know why it affects me so much, having had a pretty unremarkable family life. But it is what it is. Anyway, Eminem's When I'm Gone pushes that particular button for me.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 06:10:51 PM »
This song from the VN G-Senjou no Maou Close Your Eyes always gets me. It is an emotional song to be sure. However, after playing the VN when the song plays makes it all the more emotional. By the way, I highly recommend G-Senjou to VN fans. A few H scenes but not too many. One is legitimately funny.

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 12:28:38 PM »

In terms of Touhou music, I've always felt that Alice in Wonderland from MS had one of the most melancholic and moving melody of all Touhou songs.

I feel the same when hearing that song, so melancholic,
Also, a lot of songs by TAMUSIC are cry worthy.

which makes TAMUSIC version of it even more worth the tears https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS2OybGInw8

Another song that I can recall right of the spot is "Cherish" by Ai Otsuka. After seeing "Draw with me" for the first time, it comes back when ever I hear it. (I guess it is more about the presented story, though)

When it is about songs with lyrics, I like this German song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOzMWu0awMY
The song was written by the Frontman of Die Toten Hosen for his dead mother. I heard this song on a live concert and you could almost hear his emotions in the song.

Right in the feels

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 01:51:08 PM »
When it is about songs with lyrics, I like this German song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOzMWu0awMY
The song was written by the Frontman of Die Toten Hosen for his dead mother.
dammit who put those onions here
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Kulgia

• The Alpha
  • Let Super Saiyan Okuu rekt you
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 12:11:51 PM »
This one will surely make you cry,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqn8vcrIstQ

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 06:10:29 PM »
One Tin Sodier

I didn't link the original Castle version, nor the Coven remake, because the emotional feel of their versions did not match what I remember as a child. To be fair neither does this version, but it's the closest I found on Youtube.

This is probably the song that shaped my opinions of peace and war the most as a child and how I treat people as a whole. When I was growing up this was a church camp song (not sure if it is still sung today). Looking back there seems to be a definite jab at religion, but I think it is more taking a shot at the idea that one can use religion to justify everything (see: Manifest Destiny, slavery, war, etc).

I remember wanting to cry whenever we got to the 3rd verse, and even now I still cry whenever I sing it to myself. The only reason I didn't post it earlier was because I sadly forgot about it.

1CC List (all shmups)

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 09:11:11 PM »
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

PhoenixMaiden

• Resurrected fire maiden
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 01:30:18 AM »

Massaca

• すやぁ...
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 06:19:42 AM »
As far as "getting a bit emotional" goes, not knowing Japanese and not listening to much else, only song that comes to mind was Aishiteru Banzai (vid might have spoilery scenes, not sure) from Love Live a while back if I thought about it too much because of
Spoiler:
the graduation
Playing the game was a bit iffy for one score match lol. Doesn't bother me now though.

Oh actually sometimes Memories are Here from Katahane (NSFW). Haven't yet played the game though... >_>

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2016, 08:38:13 PM »
Not enough to make me cry, but the song Sukyaki (Ue o Muite arukou) by kyu Sakamoto is pretty heart wrenching for me

CenturyEgg

• Gentle older sister types are the best!
    • My world cosplay account
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 03:33:04 AM »
I suspect this might do it for most of us. Might be a lowblow but still... so good

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »
Ayano's Happiness Theory.

I'll just... I'll just leave it at that, really.

Monarda

• Tactician that has a soft spot for cuteness.
  • Art by Amibazh
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 11:35:07 PM »
https://youtu.be/g9sp3De7ocA

I already got the feels when hearing the in game version, but this remix was the one that made me drop manly tears.
After all i`m a sucker for Piano and Violin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ595N9NZVg&index=40&list=LL8mEe6uA-IvTuVt3gIAHPKw

The intro Theme is the same case, however it has a more energetic vibe than the other one, and this just extended what was already good.