Author Topic: Gensokyo's national flag  (Read 5281 times)

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
Gensokyo's national flag
« on: May 21, 2015, 01:17:07 PM »
So we have already discussed the possibility of Gensokyo being a nation in its own right (in fanon, at least)...

But if so, what would Gensokyo's national flag look like?

My idea:

A pure white background with a red circular rune (a pentagram or something similar just gives demonism vibes, which isn't good for global PR) in the center-left, with lines of runes representing the seven elements running above and below the circular rune horizontally across the flag.
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
Re: Gensokyo's national flag
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 02:18:49 PM »
Probably just a plain white flag with Reimu's Yin-Yang orb slapped on it.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 03:11:21 PM »
As Gensokyo has no government, it can't have a national flag, and I doubt a flag would be important to Gensokyans anyway.

/flagpedantry

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

draganuv15

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:40:13 PM »

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:42:35 PM »
Gensokyo isn't a nation in any sense of the word. Arguably the Human Village is a city-state, along with the Tengu Village and maybe the Underworld.

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 12:53:53 AM »
So we have already discussed the possibility of Gensokyo being a nation in its own right (in fanon, at least)...

But if so, what would Gensokyo's national flag look like?

This is a hypothesis thread saying IF Gensokyo is a nation, not saying that Gensokyo ALREADY IS. Why do some of you try to tear a "What if?" question apart just because it doesn't match your headcanon or opinion?
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 03:37:44 AM »
This is a hypothesis thread saying IF Gensokyo is a nation, not saying that Gensokyo ALREADY IS. Why do some of you try to tear a "What if?" question apart just because it doesn't match your headcanon or opinion?

If Gensokyo was a nation, it would be totally different from what it is and therefore unrecognizable.

The most obvious thing that comes to mind right now is that the earth spider proletariat revolts against their oppressors, kills Yukari, Reimu, etc, and their flag is Yamame wearing Kisume bucket as a helmet, in honor of her dead friend who sacrificed herself for the revolution.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 04:04:49 AM »
If anything, the flag would need a picture of a mug of beer on it.

Tengukami

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 08:19:03 AM »

Whoah there, no one is "tearing this apart", relax.

There have been a lot of these "what if Gensokyo was/the 2hus were" threads lately, and not just from you. When a lot of people start using the same template, the bar raises in terms of what makes the thread a good one, as people will start to get weary of seeing them. So long as no one is being crappy about it, there's no reason why folks can't offer criticisms. And just by sheer math, not every thread is going to be successful. And that's really OK.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 09:58:15 AM »
Subjectively, my own opinion would be to for the topic starter (LT) to actually provide bit more entertainment or information. Like maybe a drawing or your own imagination?  (Reimu example made me chuckle for a moment). Explaining what the flag entails? You know, just to avoid from people tearing the "what-if" element apart.

Also, playing along the thread:  Wouldn't it be more 'plausible' or interesting to brainstorm a flag for each faction / household? Remember how all characters had their own sigil in the official works?

Also Gensoukyo itself, regardless of a government or nation, wouldn't make sense. Gensoukyo is connected to several non-Gensoukyo locations remember? So how would that exactly work out?

Tengukami

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 12:15:04 PM »
Yeah, Gensokyo's whole sociopolitical model is closer to being a very, very loose confederation of factions and individuals, each with their own form of organisation, not really united by anything other than wanting to live in Gensokyo and not anywhere else. That's about as far from a nation as you can get.

Also, playing along the thread:  Wouldn't it be more 'plausible' or interesting to brainstorm a flag for each faction / household? Remember how all characters had their own sigil in the official works?

I am immediately reminded of the flag of Eientei from that brief fan manga A Bad End, by Doyora. That was a fun piece, although in retrospect I'm sure some of the jokes would seem played out now, as old as it is.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:18:33 PM by Tengukami »