Author Topic: Midi piracy  (Read 5242 times)

RomanNoodles

Midi piracy
« on: May 14, 2015, 07:26:08 PM »
Is downloading midi's ripped from the game considered piracy? And if it is is there a legal way to get them without buying the games(I'm broke T_T)

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
Re: Midi piracy
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 01:12:44 PM »
When you say MIDI, do you mean the soundtracks or just .MIDI files. I think he stopped packing .midi files after Touhou 8 and the demos have those files. Other than that, might have to but em.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 04:57:57 PM »
Downloading any game data for a game you don't own is illegal.
Downloading an "official" MIDI file is no less illegal than downloading an audio file or a commercial sheet music book, even if a MIDI file is technically just a pre-recorded script for a synthesizer. In japan you can even get in trouble for just making a MIDI cover of a commercial song.

Hope you weren't planning to do this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E57SnVgjbvk
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 05:06:00 PM by Not Bigode »

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 05:03:46 PM »
I don't know how legal/illegal this is, but there's this thread that has existed on the forum for quite a while. In addition to entire OSTs, it also has links to image rips, sound effects, and a whole bunch of official/fangame resources. If you want the MIDIs, there's a link to an archive toward the end of the first post under the "other audio" section.

Disclaimer, I do not endorse or suggest that you should pirate Touhou/other games, nor do I wish to present this data as if I stole it, or that you have stolen it by downloading. All game data whether it be images or music or some other thing is property of their owner(s), may it be ZUN or another party and links will be, and have been, taken down if requested. Anything uploaded to this thread is for personal use/distributing purposes only, direct commercial use is greatly frowned upon and in certain cases is illegal. Please also be wary that the nonprofit usage of graphics, bgm, etc from the Touhou games (or minor alterations thereof) in most fan works is frowned upon by many communities, though the users of MotK have no problem with this in general.

RomanNoodles

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
Ok thanks.

Drake

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 06:17:06 AM »
Anyone who's talked with me about this in the past like, year, knows I've been internally struggling with this topic for a while. There are multiple reasons why I haven't updated that thread in forever that aren't solely due to laziness.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -