Author Topic: Media coverage following news of Playism's Western Touhou release  (Read 17190 times)

Re: Media coverage following news of Playism's Western Touhou release
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2015, 06:53:48 PM »
Definitely the former. I remember Gensokyo.org releasing TDs english patch roughly two months after it came out. That was the first (and only) patch release from them that I saw firsthand but if I recall correctly, that patch had taken longer to get out compared to earlier patches.

This isn't true at all - the Ten Desires patch came out really quickly after the game compared to previous games in the series. I won't speak for the people who worked on it, but by the time Ten Desires came out the gensokyo.org guys had patched a whole bunch of games in the series and were really familiar with the process of doing so. If you look at their archives (http://www.gensokyo.org/archives/category/fanworks/translation-patches/page/3) you'll get a better idea. The gap between the Mountain of Faith and Subterranean Animism releases is the most telling - what allowed them to release the patches quickly was organisation and a familiarity with how to patch the game, and this came from their experience patching the previous titles. THCrap was similar in that the reason DDC got patched quickly was because the author had already gone in to patch the previous games in the series and knew how they were structured (it also had an explicit aim to replace the gensokyo.org patches by existing as a patch on day 0, regardless of translation completeness).

Before that there were fairly significant gaps between fan patches, which didn't have the level of organisation that groups put into them later. The reason that the EoSD patch that is linked from the wiki has a version number of 0.8 is because the person who was programming behind it disappeared before people were happy to call it final. And that patch came after the PCB patch.

With a fanbase as large as the Touhou fanbase you can expect someone will release a patch at some point, but you can never take the work for granted because people will move on with their lives. And releasing a fan-made translation patch within a couple of months of the game's release is definitely out of the ordinary.

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2015, 08:19:49 PM »
Yeah, TD was pretty fast comparatively, and it was two months: Game released August 13th, 2011, translation released October 24th, 2011.

Also I distinctly remember an Nmlgc video, with him complaining in the comments about how we were so unbearably slow with the TD translation. What a nice guy.

In all honesty GSO would have been absolutely positively ecstatic for someone to take over the reigns at that point, as I think we were all getting tired of the franchise at around that time, but it was really hard for any of us to endorse thpatch after the way they had acted, having basically treated us with disdain in everywhere but their public happy smiley face while talking endless shit behind our backs, without knowing any of us directly. And AFAIK, none of us agreed with the zero day translations or integrated updating with unfiltered wiki contents either. Quality takes time. It's not avoidable. (Let's not even get into the piracy discussion there...)

I do think we could have been friendly towards multilingual translations. Here's a fun one: When I updated the SWR translation to 1.06a, I had added support for proper multibyte locale so that profile names with Japanese characters would show up correctly in the translated version. Apparently, there was a Spanish translation that used ours as a base, without ever asking us about it, and this change broke that. Thanks man.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2015, 08:49:12 PM »
Which is exactly why I don't understand the claim that static patches are "obsolete". Surely not in the technological sense. My understanding was people at Gensokyo.org sorta stopped caring so much, and then thcrap started coming up. While I like the ease of a one-time-use static patch, I'm more or less OK with thcrap at this point, especially given there are pretty much no other options.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2015, 10:53:17 PM »
btw nmlgc stepped down from thcrap a few months back due to drama. He still contributes but is no longer the project lead. Since then thcrap's been in development hell.
Nmlgc has the mind of a supervillain. Even if he wasn't very likeable he was certainly good at what he did.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2015, 12:36:21 PM »
My thoughts on nmlgc and his THcrap project.

...YOU SCREWED UP THE ENGLISH TRANSLATION SECTION OF OUR GLORIOUS FANDOM YOU HIJACKER. I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU FOR THAT!!!

Seriously, this guy just turned up out of nowhere, funneled the translation projects through his structures he setup and now we have no more standalone patches for the games I love.

Don't even get me started on his choice of name for his patcher... Thcrap? Seriously!?! That's disrespectful of us as the fans, Touhou itself and Zun who works hard to bring us the games he loves to make. I don't buy the statement they made that thcrap is an anagram for patch, nmlgc did that deliberately to be a bastard. I get pissed off every time I see THcrap sitting there obnoxiously in my DDC folder, like a tasteless joke that nmlgc made that sits there forever mocking me and us. Disrespectful! I waited for months and months for somebody to make a standalone patch for DDC but it never arrived. I had no choice but to use his evil patcher because nobody else would translate the game because Nmlgc did it first.

I wish that we had stand alone translations again for the games. Nmlgc came along selling something that nobody asked for and then suddenly all future translations for touhou are going through his patcher.

His automatic patcher isn't even increasing translation speeds like he said they would... which was the whole POINT of doing what he did in the first place. As of the date of me writing this, the front page of thpatch.net still douse not have an English translation of ISC at around ">95% coverage. Only some language called български has a full translation. GOOD JOB THPATCH.NET! Your translation patches are incredibly overdue that 2 more games have come out since that one.

Lets not forget this old gem either: http://thcrap.tumblr.com/
"yo please dont support nmlgc he aint a nice person". I was determined to boycott him for his bastard-like behavior but no... He hijacked the touhou patching community and he runs the whole show now. We have no CHOICE but to use his translations because there is nothing else.

The touhou translation patch community is in shambles because of nmlgc and I am in hatred of him because of that. We had something beautiful, something that other fandoms only dreamed they would have... and this guy screwed it all up with his thcrap that holds us all in contempt.

I personally hope that thpatch.net burns and that we return to the glorious days of stand alone patches by people who truly love the touhou series. I don't play many other game series besides Touhou, I boycotted AAA games years ago due to DRM practices and corporate crap that they pull on us. Touhou was a game series that I loved and came from a good hearted place in ZUN's doujin mindset. I don't ask for much in games except a good translation of my favorites. nmlgc took that away from me.

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2015, 12:38:18 PM »
Pardon me for derailing this topic with my distaste for Thcrap by the way guys. I just wanted to put my thoughts out there on nmlgc and what he has done to our translation community since that was just being discussed.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2015, 12:42:06 PM »
How about we not stir up/recount/incite patch drama please.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2015, 07:27:20 AM »
Playism has retweeted two more reviews from Middle of Nowhere Gaming and APGNation.

Is there any interesting Western reportage in non-English languages?
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter