Author Topic: Media coverage following news of Playism's Western Touhou release  (Read 17171 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
This thread is a place for discussing notable coverage by Western media in response to Playism's plan to release Touhou in the West.

Let's see how this works out :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:39:02 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Re: Media coverage following news of Playism's Western Touhou release
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 06:25:50 AM »
There's one by PC Gamer just this morning.

http://www.pcgamer.com/an-introduction-to-touhou-project-japans-biggest-indie-series/

I personally think that the article is pretty well done, pointing out the necessary details without making it overly long
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:31:17 AM by monhan »

cuc

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 06:36:12 AM »
EDIT: ^ Yeah, that article is why I started this thread.

First of all, I've been keeping an eye on how Western media covers the Playism announcement itself. What I found was that there hasn't been much coverage, per se. I can imagine Touhou's Western release being treated as a bigger news a few years ago, when the Western indie game market was still fledgling, and the arrival of a Japanese indie hero might be more of a cause for celebration. Ah, but that's just how things are :).

For the moment, in non-news coverage, PC Gamer has published an introduction to Touhou by Heidi Kemps. The author had made good use of the article's short length, delving into the idea behind DDC's design and the difference between the doujin and indie mentalities.

P.S. Strangely, PC Gamer also published another article about Touhou's early days in Dec 2014. This was a bad article, as the author was clearly trying to pass information he found on a few wikis as insider knowledge, without any real understanding of the topic. That's why I didn't link to it back when it came out.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:43:58 AM by cuc »

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:46:07 AM »
Some links:

nichegamer                 :                 http://nichegamer.com/2015/04/the-first-official-touhou-localization-is-happening-thanks-to-playism/

ricedigital                    :                 http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/touhou-coming-west/

rocketnews24             :                 http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/04/11/bullet-hell-fans-in-heaven-with-shooter-series-touhou-project-officially-coming-to-the-west/

siliconera                    :                 http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/08/playism-is-publishing-touhous-first-official-release-in-the-west/

animenewsnetwork    :                http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-11/playism-brings-touhou-double-dealing-character-game-to-the-west/.86926

vgchartz                      :                 http://www.vgchartz.com/article/258628/tohou-14-is-finally-coming-to-the-west-via-playism/

rockpapershotgun     :                 http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/04/09/touhou-official-english-translation/

gamnesia                    :                 http://www.gamnesia.com/news/touhou-14-will-be-localized-by-playism-games

destructoid                :                  http://www.destructoid.com/doujin-shooter-touhou-14-targets-western-release-290129.phtml

discussion on reddit /r/Games   :  http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/31rnlu/touhou_finally_coming_to_the_west/

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:16:28 AM »
A lot of people are making the assumption that this will be a localization, when the only thing Playism has said at present is that it will be available in English-speaking countries. Admittedly, it's a fair one to make, but it might be affecting people's expectations.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 09:28:26 PM »
A lot of people are making the assumption that this will be a localization, when the only thing Playism has said at present is that it will be available in English-speaking countries. Admittedly, it's a fair one to make, but it might be affecting people's expectations.
Their wording is very careful about saying that they're bringing to the "English speaking territories," rather than bringing it in English, yeah. IIRC they got asked about it and the result was that they would have some sort of news about translations at some undefined point in the future, so I'm guessing it's still in negotiations, but they managed to confirm that they got the series itself to bring over and were ecstatic enough to announce that.

Honestly I'm more interested in what this means for derivative games than it does for the originals. There's a few games I would very much like to see brought over, for their gameplay moreso than their story.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 10:58:56 PM »
My impression is that ZUN would be extremely reluctant to allow a translation because he likes to keep careful control over his works and with a translation he can't personally judge how faithful it is.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 01:03:30 PM »
Their wording is very careful about saying that they're bringing to the "English speaking territories," rather than bringing it in English, yeah. IIRC they got asked about it and the result was that they would have some sort of news about translations at some undefined point in the future, so I'm guessing it's still in negotiations, but they managed to confirm that they got the series itself to bring over and were ecstatic enough to announce that.

Honestly I'm more interested in what this means for derivative games than it does for the originals. There's a few games I would very much like to see brought over, for their gameplay moreso than their story.
Playism have also announced at least one derivative too. Also out next week, so not a long wait to see on translation etc.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 03:42:30 PM »
Apparently Suika made a little cameo appearance on ESPN (American sports channel) on Monday...

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/05/04-1/touhou-project-makes-a-surprise-cameo-on-espn

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 03:44:52 AM »
*watch warmly

And yet again, no one bothers to get it right D:

Gamer251

• DJ FlanFlan
  • Too lazy to type long sentences.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 02:04:30 AM »
Following the release of the game(s) on Playism, I saw some comments on various articles that they were disappointed since it wasn't in English.
I understand their pain, but it was never stated in the first place that it wouldn't be released in English (yet).

But hey, it would be a lot easier to buy the games now~
I just hope ZUN covers the entire Windows Series.

"You ought to watch out, yourself. Even a high-school girl can make her own weapons these days, after all..."

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 05:54:48 AM »
Now I feel dumb for not paying closer attention. =P Still, a Touhou game released outside of Japan is nothing to scoff at, and I'll gladly support buying it...Once my Playism account is back up and running, that is. >w>;;

cuc

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 07:00:36 AM »
TBH, I am quite disappointed.

Like what it is said in the review, this Western release could have potentially brought Touhou popularity to another level. However, Playism just felt lazy and ported the game without translating anything, thus mostly defeating the purpose of localization.  With this, it's like getting people only to know Touhou but they might not be interested cuz it is untranslated. I knew that they said that they aren't going to translate the game but it just felt really hollow.

Oh well, guess I have to wait for the overall response from the players to see whether this was the right choice.

Formless God

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 07:06:00 AM »
thus mostly defeating the purpose of localization.
i thought the purpose was so that people can play 2hus without going to da bayz

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2015, 07:12:02 AM »
Well, yes that's one thing. But wouldn't it be better to both have the games for fans to support ZUN directly and introduce the game for people who might spot the game by chance? Untranslated games would mostly hinder the probability of the latter.

If ZUN didn't allow the translation then it can't be helped. I guess we can't have everything in one go.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 08:52:33 AM by Kageshirou »

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2015, 07:32:40 AM »
Well, my thoughts on the matter are that this was probably ZUN's decision (note that they translated the Touhou fangame that they released at the same time), and he probably doesn't really care about introducing the series to more people. The sole purpose of this is to make it easier for existing fans to buy the Japanese games, presumably because a while ago he seemed shocked/offended at the prices people needed to pay to import.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 07:35:24 AM by Clarste »

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2015, 08:21:59 AM »
TBH, I am quite disappointed.

Like what it is said in the review, this Western release could have potentially brought Touhou popularity to another level. However, Playism just felt lazy and ported the game without translating anything, thus mostly defeating the purpose of localization.  With this, it's like getting people only to know Touhou but they might not be interested cuz it is untranslated. I knew that they said that they aren't going to translate the game but it just felt really hollow.
They didn't have a choice, ZUN himself didn't want it to be translated.

Not saying it's not a shame though...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 08:24:45 AM by Spotty Ren »

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2015, 01:20:34 PM »
They didn't have a choice, ZUN himself didn't want it to be translated.

Guess were still going to have to rely on those wonderful, wonderful people who bring us translation patches for a little while longer.

It is a shame that language localization for Touhou doesn't seem to be a priority yet. This brings to mind Yotsubane with his Crimson Clover -World Ignition- rework of his original game. That game has language options for not only English but a plethora of other languages as well. This small indie game is gaining popularity *because* of it's localization.

Crimson Clover -World Ignition- is badass by the way... Double Limit Break gives me an adrenaline rush. Go support that game!

Zun-Sensei! Please reconsider your stance on marketing to the international market! You can hire your own translator to rewrite the script of your games that you can read and give your seal of approval to. Surely this can be a viable option that still stands true to your doujin/micromanagement stance for your games.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2015, 02:32:15 PM »
It is a shame that language localization for Touhou doesn't seem to be a priority yet.

It used to be. Pre-Ten Desires, someone or a few people would pool resources and bang out a stand-alone English patch within a couple weeks or even days of release. I don't know the specifics of what happened, but somehow thcrap moved to the forefront and the usual patching suspects went elsewhere.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2015, 03:12:33 PM »
What? English patches used to take months to come out. With thcrap you can play with a basic english translation just days after the game's release. Static patches aren't made anymore because they're obsolete, not because there's no interest in getting the games translated. The community is translating the official games faster than ever, so please don't say it's not a priority.

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »
that's language localization in an officially handled sense, not fan works.

'the usual patching suspects' mostly just grew up and apart from each other and from touhou. it happens. thpatch had nothing to do with it; though i still don't agree with their methods to this day.

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2015, 03:24:02 PM »
It used to be. Pre-Ten Desires, someone or a few people would pool resources and bang out a stand-alone English patch within a couple weeks or even days of release. I don't know the specifics of what happened, but somehow thcrap moved to the forefront and the usual patching suspects went elsewhere.
Which happened first, the downfall of gensokyo.org or the rise of thcrap? I recall it was the former but I could be wrong.

I looked at thcrap when TH14 first came out on Playism, and it didn't seem like it'd take a lot to add Playism support to thcrap, assuming ZUN didn't do anything weird.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 03:34:30 PM »
@Anyone dissappointed

What matters is that, like Ayy Lmao said, we can now get Touhou with ease, and not have to have a costlier and unorthodox method of aquiring them (i.e. extra shipping and such).

Besides, like Clarste and Bigode pointed out, even if it's still un-translated on the other side of the pond, we can simply get things like ThCrap and apply it to the game with ease. Hell, it could translate it into other languages by the speakers of said languages. Not many translation patches and/or programs do things like what ThC can do with the click of a mouse.

Oh yes, and in relation to Crimzon Clover, I am thinking most other countries save Japan were happy that Clover-TAC localized it, since (iirc) the game already had a steady amount of coverage probably since what batshit insanity Unlimited had in store for players. Japan is not happy about this since they aren't so fond of Steam's digital distribution (which I find a tad hypocritical since Melonbooks DL and the like). Though, I am pretty sure that the "It has more stuff than our version!" argument isn't neccesary since World Ignition was just a port of Full Boost.

Although, given exactly WHAT dissappointed both sides about the localization (DDC to Americans: No translation, and CCWI to Japanese: digital distribution) maybe SOME liberties could be taken by Playism during the next Touhou release, or maybe they could just point out "hey, ThCrap is a thing, you should check it out" like how some devteams point out mods of their game which interested them.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
  • Drifting along, one day at a time
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2015, 03:46:11 PM »
Which happened first, the downfall of gensokyo.org or the rise of thcrap? I recall it was the former but I could be wrong.

I looked at thcrap when TH14 first came out on Playism, and it didn't seem like it'd take a lot to add Playism support to thcrap, assuming ZUN didn't do anything weird.

Definitely the former. I remember Gensokyo.org releasing TDs english patch roughly two months after it came out. That was the first (and only) patch release from them that I saw firsthand but if I recall correctly, that patch had taken longer to get out compared to earlier patches.

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »
Earlier patches took way longer. Out of the patches by gensokyo.org only the UFO and GFW patches took less time to complete.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2015, 04:12:59 PM »
Speaking of thcrap, how's it doing nowadays?

Tengukami

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2015, 06:10:15 PM »
What? English patches used to take months to come out. With thcrap you can play with a basic english translation just days after the game's release. Static patches aren't made anymore because they're obsolete, not because there's no interest in getting the games translated. The community is translating the official games faster than ever, so please don't say it's not a priority.

Then I must be misremembering, but some English patches seemed to come out pretty quickly, like in a timeframe of weeks. But again, this could just be myopic hindsight.

And I wasn't taking a jab at thcrap. I use them myself, nor do I think translating isn't a priority, as all the work being done on the wiki attests.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »
I was with GSO, and aside from the 12.8 which was a bit rushed for a 9/9 release(har har), most of the mainline games took 2~3 months, and the fighters around 6-9. The most time consuming aspect was not usually the translation itself, but editing, verifying, and getting all the images edited. (In the case of the fighting games, there's a hell of a lot more text scattered in there than you'd think.)

Which I would not consider terribly slow, but people are impatient these days, so whatever.

Tengukami

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2015, 06:41:10 PM »
I was with GSO, and aside from the 12.8 which was a bit rushed for a 9/9 release(har har), most of the mainline games took 2~3 months, and the fighters around 6-9. The most time consuming aspect was not usually the translation itself, but editing, verifying, and getting all the images edited. (In the case of the fighting games, there's a hell of a lot more text scattered in there than you'd think.)

Which I would not consider terribly slow, but people are impatient these days, so whatever.

Huh, well I'll be. Guess I did shrink the timeline looking back!