Author Topic: It's happening, Touhou is coming to the West.  (Read 46737 times)

Tsuken Yasashi

• Student of War
  • Ready to start fightin' for real?
Re: It's happening, Touhou is coming to the West.
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2015, 07:25:51 PM »
"But see, the deaths, destruction and ruined lives benefits us, here, elsewhere in the world, so it's a good thing" is what is wrong with the world today.

If you can't be compassionate, at least be tactful, and back away from this indefensible and sloppily-constructed position instead of derailing this thread.
True compassion comes from understanding the truth and how they respond to their current situation.  That way, people will appreciate their actions in the long-run and eventually forget the bad stuff.  Seija would understand this tactful thinking out of all the touhou characters, if you do not know what kind of "sloppily-constructed position" I have placed myself in.  The whole point of what I'm telling you all is to think of where all of this is originating from, then draw in respects, compassion, or at least appreciate how they respond to it because of untimely events.  Also, I wasn't even negative about anything of what I said to begin with.  Just being neutral and objective.  If one cannot see that, then one has picked the wrong target to make a straw-man to argue with.

I... wha. Is this a troll or are you actually serious? I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and say you're trolling, but even then, like... saying that those natural disasters are the reason Touhou hasn't been brought to the West instead of, I dunno, stuff like maybe ZUN wasn't quite sure about selling overseas, or he was still thinking about it... literally ANY OTHER REASON besides natural disasters. I mean come on, really? Let's not go there.

Back on the actual subject, I'm also wondering if the western release will be translated. I'm thinking it will, but I dunno, we'll see, I suppose. Still, this is some pretty major news. Hopefully ZUN'll also try getting the older games ported over to the West too. ^^;
I was being a bit of both, but mostly serious.  Back on topic, I, for one, am looking forward to it too heh.

Ugh, I really apologize beforehand for feeding this troll discussion, but I just feel the need to point out that ZUN is ONE man, who seems to be reasonably well-off and not in any desperate need of cash.  Therefore I HIGHLY doubt Japan's overall economical situation has much influence on his own personal decisions and his decision to bring Touhou to the west.
Don't think about it too much.  I just wanted people to be informed where the origin of the action may have came from.  Theories, if you must say.  I'm not saying that ZUN needs more money, I'm just saying that society can be affected by many things, and with the changes going on, even influential people choose to "go with the flow" in terms of where society stands.

Between Two Dimensions - Arc One Complete

"War is a grave affair of state; it is a place of life and death, a road to survival and extinction.  A matter to be pondered carefully..."  -Sun Tzu's Art of War

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2015, 10:29:11 PM »
Don't think about it too much.  I just wanted people to be informed where the origin of the action may have came from.  Theories, if you must say.  I'm not saying that ZUN needs more money, I'm just saying that society can be affected by many things, and with the changes going on, even influential people choose to "go with the flow" in terms of where society stands.

I just find it HIGHLY doubtful that ZUN stopped and said to himself (even subconsciously), "Gee, Japanese society sure is in an upheaval right now. I should bring Touhou to the west!"

Drake

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2015, 02:26:03 AM »
you also can't seriously say afterward that it "may" be a contributor or that it's your theory when you first say "you also have to thank them natural disasters in Japan for making them bring their games to the west" as though it were a statement of fact, and then talk about "being informed" and putting yourself on this pedestal as though you're the only one here who is, when really the whole matter is just totally irrelevant and you tossed it in out of nowhere

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2015, 04:36:27 AM »
how much do you guys think it will cost when it gets released?

Drake

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2015, 04:54:09 AM »
Probably 15$. The other STGs on Playism are pretty consistent in price difference between JP/EN, seemingly ignoring exchange rate.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tsuken Yasashi

• Student of War
  • Ready to start fightin' for real?
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2015, 04:29:22 AM »
I just find it HIGHLY doubtful that ZUN stopped and said to himself (even subconsciously), "Gee, Japanese society sure is in an upheaval right now. I should bring Touhou to the west!"
The gaming industry may say otherwise, since they're opening up their products to the world market, despite their highly insecure way of thinking about the world experiences video games.  Then again, I suppose the only way to really find out is to wait and see what happens until they find a way to clean up their land, or at least get their domestic markets to trust their own products once more.

Between Two Dimensions - Arc One Complete

"War is a grave affair of state; it is a place of life and death, a road to survival and extinction.  A matter to be pondered carefully..."  -Sun Tzu's Art of War

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2015, 12:06:06 PM »
I... wha. Is this a troll or are you actually serious?

The former, ignore him.

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2015, 12:43:09 AM »
http://playism-games.com/article/touhou-14-hits-playism-on-5-7-2015

Only a few days from now, guys.

Also, Takkoman.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2015, 01:15:03 AM »
If he wouldn't even allow them to translate the game title, just calling it "Touhou [No$]: [Subtitle$]" is an acceptable compromise, better than "Touhou [IncomprehensibleJapanese$]". Actually ZUN might have demanded them to call it that, considering the window title in the Playism Japan version.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
  • Drifting along, one day at a time
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2015, 02:15:39 AM »
So Japanese version being released, correct? I don't see where it's explicitly stated but I'm assuming such.

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2015, 03:28:54 AM »
touhou-14-hits-playism-on-5-7-2015
The cheapest copy on Amazon is $22.25 + shipping. Plus there's a two-week delivery time.

At $14.99 there's no reason not to buy a copy and have it instantly. This is seriously one of the best decisions ZUN can make.

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2015, 04:35:53 AM »
I am quite curious about how successful this will be. Touhou has a reputation for being a big fandom, but can we put our money where our mouths are? Or will that information even be released? Hmm.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2015, 05:02:54 AM »
So Japanese version being released, correct? I don't see where it's explicitly stated but I'm assuming such.
It's highly doubtful it'll be untranslated, considering Playism releases translated games already, like One Way Heroics.

Considering there REALLY isn't that much text in a touhou game to translate, it only makes sense that it's going to be in English, even with the speedy release.

I'm most interested in what the official translation will look like. Will the fan-accepted names for things hold out or will we have youkai be monsters? There's been a lot of debate over what the name of Sukuka's species is too, what they translate for that will probably cause some level of upheaval.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2015, 05:42:33 AM »
I'm leaning toward the possibility of an untranslated version, but if it does get translated I'm pretty sure ZUN will be involved in it. He doesn't seem like he'd allow "official" translations without his involvement.

cuc

« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2015, 08:58:52 AM »
The moment of truth comethhhh...

From Playism Japan's twitter:
On May 7, Touhou Kishinjou will be released in English-speaking territories, allowing people to buy it from overseas. The game itself is only in Japanese, but it is playable on English operating systems. Takkoman (English version) will be released at the same time. On the Japanese side, we will be releasing Marisa no Kirisame Mahou-ten, Touhou Genmuyoudan ~ Ran, and Tenjou no Tempest.

Tenjou no Tempest probably needs no introduction. Marisa no Kirisame Mahou-ten ("Marisa's Drizzle Magic Shop") is Strawberry Bose's most recent game, a shop management RPG. Genmuyoudan ~ Ran is the updated version of Touhou Genmuyoudan: Nightmare of the Rebellion, the third game in their RPG trilogy.

It's really interesting to see them releasing different games on the English and Japanese sides.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:19:27 AM by cuc »

hungrybookworm

• Shipper On Board
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »
Hmm, I think it would've been better if they had translated it, since that might've attracted more new fans (even if it caused several hundred threads full of people complaining or arguing over which words to use from now on lol) but I guess it's not a huge deal since you don't really need to understand Japanese to dodge bullets and stuff.

I hope it does well!

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2015, 09:41:38 AM »
That's pretty interesting. I guess it was mainly about getting a popular game overseas than getting people into it ? At any rate, we'll be sticking with the good old fan translation, which is pretty okay too, as these are pretty accurate (it's not like DDC wasn't already fan translated anyway). Seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity but then again it's not like translation would be vital gameplay-wise and would have been a bit bothersome...  :X

Also, gotta love how fangames got some spotlight as of late

cuc

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2015, 11:12:42 AM »
From Playism's perspective, like all other doujin game publishers, they'd absolutely love to secure the holy grail of their trade: publishing Touhou Project in the West. Of course they would want to translate it - that was common sense.

But for ZUN, this is above all about making the game available to existing fans who want to play Touhou legally, eliminating the expensive middlemen and shipping fees they had to pay. As for translation, he would not trust the content of his games to another person, so that was not an option.

These are of course just speculation, but everything I said above has been said by someone else.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:24:37 AM by cuc »

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2015, 11:58:28 AM »
Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity to me - a professional translation could potentially have been very good, and provided a real point of difference to people who'd imported (or pirated) the game previously. As it stands I suspect most people who are interested in the game might have played it already, and directing people to fan patches will probably just direct them to pirate the games (IIRC the group running the autopatcher also ran a site tracking how long it took for pirated versions of DDC to become available, and used this to promote the patcher). I guess this news really might have more of an impact on derivative works, if "English version" actually means Takkoman will be translated. What a weird position to be in!

For me it means I'll probably just keep importing the games, unless there's an indication that 14.3 and 15 might hit Playism without a huge wait - I held off on 14.3 because of the noise surrounding potential online distribution, but I'll probably get them together when 15 comes out. And on a selfish note, I can't complain too much if ZUN's more interested in making new games than overseeing the translation of older ones.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2015, 03:00:57 PM »
Well it might also make sense not to translate it if there is already an established fan translation community that already does it. Cut out time and effort and the fans dont fight over anything new.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
  • Drifting along, one day at a time
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2015, 03:05:57 PM »
In my opinion, I personally feel that people who have already played TH14 and showed an interest in getting it should seriously consider purchasing it even if they played their worth it, not only because it would be the right thing to do, but it would actively show that people are actually supporting what they clamored for. Strong sales could possibly hasten future releases whereas weak ones may mean no future ones.

Heck, I already have a physical copy of 14 and I'm willing to purchase it once more. I've done it before with a number of the Ys games, Trails in the Sky and Xenoblade because I legitimately want more quality games brought over. I *like* supporting devs who put out quality products.

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2015, 04:23:18 PM »
Note that thcrap iirc is currently in development hell; it doesn't support the Japanese Playism TH14, and I wouldn't expect it to support the western TH14 for a while.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2015, 09:46:23 PM »
Wish Playism showed any interest at all non-Windows ports. Oh well.

That Takkoman made it in is interesting. I am curious if other derivative games will be forced to go through Playism or if other publishers are okay. Suspecting not but we just don't know.

« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2015, 03:40:06 PM »
It is a bit of a shame that the game won't get an official translation, but I was actually dubious of there being so with the wording of the announcements, and ZUN working on new games and not really wanting anyone else developing upon his official works. I'd probably still get it if I ever decide to have Paypal or something, though.

Besides, even with thcrap in development hell, I don't think it'd be too long until some other patching group picks it up.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2015, 10:28:51 AM »
The game is now available for purchase on PlayismEN.

Takkoman is also here.

EDIT :

Haha, Playism please. :]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:38:06 AM by Spotty Ren »

« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2015, 11:04:01 AM »
The game is now available for purchase on PlayismEN.

Takkoman is also here.

EDIT :

They got humor, I give them that.
The "arouses your primal instinct" part is worth a chuckle.

ZUN are into this too, so I hope this will be a good start. Keep it up.

cuc

« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2015, 11:35:58 AM »
They got humor, I give them that.
The "arouses your primal instinct" part is worth a chuckle.
ZUN always writes his stuff, including system requirements like that. The problem is past translators of Touhou games did not translate them. You had no idea what you missed out lol.

Well, at least ZUN allowed Playism to translate his game description, creator's comments, etc. I would say the translation work is professional (the errors, lost nuances and allusions notwithstanding), except for...

Editorial error.

A mistake professionals should not make: a "prequel" is not an earlier episode, it's a later episode that takes place chronologically earlier,

Meanwhile, the new games are also online at Playism Japan. If I recall correctly, they did not have a Touhou category before. Whether this is the case or not, the category URL and page title is a little weird...

Since "Dongfang" is how you pronounce "Touhou" in Chinese, I'm sure some clueless Chinese outsourcer had a hand in that.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:12:37 PM by cuc »

cuc

« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2015, 02:01:46 PM »
There have been reports that the game won't run unless you change your system language or use related tools.

First, AppLocale has a bug that can cause lots of headache. A third party tool, Locale Emulator works better.

Second, the problem is probably caused by the directory path of your game. When unpacked from the ZIP file you downloaded, you get a game folder that contains Japanese text in its name, which may screw things up if your system language is not Japanese. The same may happen if your game path includes characters that are outside of the usual ASCII range.

In short, the first solution you try should be renaming the game folder, ensuring the game path contains only basic symbols such as numericals, English letters and space.

EDIT:
My download is done. I can now confirm that all game files are exactly the same as last year's Playism Japan.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 03:16:07 PM by cuc »

« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2015, 04:18:30 PM »
The SJIS youkai strikes again...

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »
The game itself is only in Japanese, but it is playable on English operating systems
There have been reports that the game won't run unless you change your system language or use related tools.

First, AppLocale has a bug that can cause lots of headache. A third party tool, Locale Emulator works better.

Second, the problem is probably caused by the directory path of your game. When unpacked from the ZIP file you downloaded, you get a game folder that contains Japanese text in its name, which may screw things up if your system language is not Japanese. The same may happen if your game path includes characters that are outside of the usual ASCII range.
gg playism

Let's wait and see if things'll get fixed