Author Topic: It's happening, Touhou is coming to the West.  (Read 46723 times)

Re: It's happening, Touhou is coming to the West.
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2015, 03:12:16 AM »
I'd rebuy as many games as needed, even though I have the disks in my gaming draw.  Just to show my support for Western releases.

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2015, 05:10:03 AM »
I'm just screaming like a girl noticed by her senpai <3 <3 <3

But Sempai did notice us!

Sempai noticed the West! (Finally!)

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2015, 06:52:10 AM »
This is the coolest thing!  I've had a huge smile on my face reading this thread.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 07:55:44 AM »
Their Marketing Director was telling to send him a line if we had a question, so here's what I could gather with some other answers I found :

- For now they're only announcing DDC.
- They can only talk about the mainline Touhou titles for now.
- About a translation : "Hopefully we'll be able to talk about that soon."
- Yes, this is real life.

That's a lot of "for now", so I guess we're in a wait & see state right now.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 10:07:14 AM »
Yeah; I asked if they were doing all of them, and he responded with 'just DDC for now.'

Which probably means if this is successful, they'll likely do the others at some point. In other words, word of mouth (and money) will likely help shape what's to come~ <3

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 10:32:47 AM »
Yes!! It's finally happening!! I need it!! I WANT IT!!!
Mwahahahahha!

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 10:45:03 AM »
Their Marketing Director was telling to send him a line if we had a question, so here's what I could gather with some other answers I found :

- For now they're only announcing DDC.
- They can only talk about the mainline Touhou titles for now.
- About a translation : "Hopefully we'll be able to talk about that soon."
- Yes, this is real life.

That's a lot of "for now", so I guess we're in a wait & see state right now.

How about suggesting them to consider the translations in the Touhou Wiki? A lot of efforts and thoughts have gone in it, so I'm sure that it can be a good reference

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 03:04:08 PM »
That's good idea. They understand Japanese better than us but I dunno about their English so the Wiki can be a little help for them.

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 03:04:27 PM »
How about suggesting them to consider the translations in the Touhou Wiki? A lot of efforts and thoughts have gone in it, so I'm sure that it can be a good reference

They really can't, because it would be an extreme mess of legal landmines and potential headaches nobody wants to deal with.

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 08:15:25 PM »
Hell. It's about time. </starcraft>

FLASH

• Still looking for the Hakurei shrine...
  • So close
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2015, 08:27:52 PM »
is this real life?  :V

No, seriously, tough, what gets me the most exited about this, is the Possibility of Finally an Official english translation! Wow!  :)

Although, he did said in an interview that he liked fans handling the translations (because in his words "we're the most hardcore ones about the series", aww, thanks), and that he'd be OK if things continued this way...
so, really curious to see how translation will be handled...

if there will be a translation at all, i don't know Playsim... is there precedent that an untranslated game gets released here?

As far as i'm concerned, i'll still keep Importing the CD versions from japan though, it just feel nicer to have an actual physical copy, there in your hand, rather than just the program on your computer... but it's really Fantastic new for all the folks who can't/don't want to import, obviously, so really happy about it still!
Though if there is an Official translation on the Playsim versions, i might actually start Double-Buying all the games at that point! F*** IT, HE DESERVES IT, ANYWAY!   :D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:30:29 PM by FLASH »

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2015, 09:02:21 PM »
Hey cool, I'll be able to play the full version of DDC.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2015, 03:02:34 PM »
I wonder if Touhou 14 being the Touhou 1 of America will cause any confusions among newcomers to the series.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:44:58 PM by game2011 »

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2015, 03:23:10 PM »
I wonder if Touhou 14 being the Touhou 1 of America will cause any confusions among newcomers of the series.

While this may seem odd, keep in mind also part of the reason ZUN chose this particular game is because DDC is labeled (even by ZUN) a stand-alone chapter to the series. Since it doesn't connect too much to the other chapters before hand. So it may also be the best way to "test the waters on new grounds"

Still to think that two years ago, I worked on a giant scroll that I collaborated with 70+ artists with to be given to the man himself at the AWA convention. And thanks to all the hard work from my team, the people here, and AWA. We left a giant impression on ZUN that would lead to this day.

I can't be any more happier knowing now that he's going to start releasing his games to the US now.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2015, 09:00:55 PM »
FINALLY it's happening. That's excellent news!  :D

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2015, 11:48:18 AM »
Wasn't DDC also the first digital copy released in Japan only? Afaik ZUN was twittering about he was excited / worried about the online release of DDC. He seems to to do this step by step so it is kind of a logical move as well.

Branneg Xy

• ^UP http://www.miyasuke.net/flash/yuyugohan.html ^
    • (FREE) LINKEDIN PROFILE
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2015, 03:44:59 AM »
I first found it out on touhouwiki.A development that came earlier than expected,and in a positively interesting manner
^^^^ http://www.miyasuke.net/flash/yuyugohan.html  " 西行寺幽々子の強奪!!隣の晩御飯 " ->>>
" Yuyuko Saigyouji 's "Uslurpation" !! Dinner is Next ".
( Possibilities of ENGrish ) ^^^^ .

Fumi

• Dragon of Seven Colors
  • Disaster in Takamagahara
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2015, 05:16:55 AM »

We already had hints before, with ZUN tweeting a picture of an english option menu of the concerned game and DDC being put on digital purchase on Playism JP, but we now have real meat to put on our plates. Playism EN is officially bringing Touhou to the West.

Whaaat? When did ZUN tweet that? I want to see.

This is a very good development! I'm really happy about it! I just hope it ends up being a success, I'm going to buy a copy seriously can't wait for them to re-release TD I'm not sure about the fighters since they are developed by Tasofro too but hey, as long as we get the series to expand it's actually nice!

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2015, 05:38:56 AM »
Whaaat? When did ZUN tweet that? I want to see.

This is a very good development! I'm really happy about it! I just hope it ends up being a success, I'm going to buy a copy seriously can't wait for them to re-release TD I'm not sure about the fighters since they are developed by Tasofro too but hey, as long as we get the series to expand it's actually nice!
I don't have time to dig up the tweet at the moment, but what he tweeted - the Touhou 14 setting program in ZUN-English - can already be seen in the Playism Japan's downloadable version of the game.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2015, 07:26:50 AM »
Hoorays... but...

I'll wait 'til it comes to Steam.

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2015, 08:12:41 AM »
I think ZUN's probably overseeing or maybe doing the translation by himself, I remember seeing one of his tweet picture showing the translated version of options in Touhou 14.

Drake

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2015, 12:34:07 PM »
Except without a hired translator he would be forced to use what's already at his disposal. This tweet was last July, so at the time there was no outside translating option. There are arguments for why he would be tempted to do it himself, but his english "isn't exactly the greatest" and he knows it. I find it unlikely that he would literally do the entire translation himself. That being said, a translation not being overseen carefully by ZUN could easily end up a disaster, and we know how passionate he is about minute control over his brainchild, so I'm pretty confident that if the game is translated (which only makes sense, given the need to release it separately to begin with) it will be with close communication with the translation team. Likewise, the Playism side probably know the weight of what they're dealing with, and I'm going to trust that they know they need to take special care to do a good job.

Well, assuming that it will be translated to english.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 05:05:44 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2015, 12:56:05 AM »
Please excuse me while I go do a funny dance in the corner. :V

Hoorays... but...

I'll wait 'til it comes to Steam.

I personally don't think they will come to steam at all.

Tsuken Yasashi

• Student of War
  • Ready to start fightin' for real?
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2015, 06:41:45 AM »
You also have to thank them natural disasters in Japan for making them bring their games to the west.

After all, none of their games would have officially came translated to English if those events didn't happen.....

"Subterranean Animism" ------> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_T%C5%8Dhoku_earthquake_and_tsunami

"Current Nuclear crisis from Utsuho Reiuji" -----> http://fukushimaupdate.com/

Just saiyan the truth~!

Between Two Dimensions - Arc One Complete

"War is a grave affair of state; it is a place of life and death, a road to survival and extinction.  A matter to be pondered carefully..."  -Sun Tzu's Art of War

Drake

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2015, 09:41:55 AM »
do you even comprehend how completely wrong and utterly inhumane that post is

what

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2015, 10:23:34 AM »
Natural disasters are nothing to joke about. Like, at all.
Try to be more considerate about such things.

Spoiler:
FYI, don't make fun of tsunami to Indonesians

Tsuken Yasashi

• Student of War
  • Ready to start fightin' for real?
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2015, 03:00:18 PM »
Natural disasters are nothing to joke about. Like, at all.
Try to be more considerate about such things.

Spoiler:
FYI, don't make fun of tsunami to Indonesians
I suppose so..  However, any bad event, in a way, is a good one.  It allows people to adapt to the circumstance, changing their ways for better or worse.  One has to think about what they could do; making the best of situations, regardless of their current state.

do you even comprehend how completely wrong and utterly inhumane that post is

what
Yes and no.  Its better to be informed rather than be the ignorant when events such as a Japanese Game comes to a different country in its official native language actually happens.

Even Extra Credits partially predicted this to happen, as Japan is realigning itself to the global market, now that their domestic market is being overburdened with its own production costs and current situation in their country --------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auDqJuVE7Xc

Also, know the difference between connecting dots to incoming events and straight out saying that I'm completely wrong about my assumption.  Like I said: that natural disaster must have caused a major blow to Japan's industry in terms of damage costs and production speeds, as well as the citizens' living conditions, forcing them to take a gamble at the western market.  But that gamble would not happen without them knowing what's out there in the world.  Ask yourself this: How did Xenoblades: Chronicles get released to the world?  They asked the consumers in the world market first whether they would buy it or not (They have a facebook or twitter page about this).  Once they got the data, they released the game to test out the consumers' testimonial if the game would sell or not.  And it did, making the results an example to game developers in Japan that there IS a place for those Japanese games to be shown once more in the world gaming market.

So how does this relate to Touhou coming to the West?  Well, the results of Xenoblades: Chronicles released to the West is mainly connected to it, which that result would not happen without events from before, from the natural disaster, to their domestic market not performing well because said disaster.  How am I drawing this theory out?  Two things: Applying what I know from my Business Major in college into being Well-Informed about the current world.  And them students say them college degrees betray themselves...

Between Two Dimensions - Arc One Complete

"War is a grave affair of state; it is a place of life and death, a road to survival and extinction.  A matter to be pondered carefully..."  -Sun Tzu's Art of War

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2015, 06:02:13 PM »
"But see, the deaths, destruction and ruined lives benefits us, here, elsewhere in the world, so it's a good thing" is what is wrong with the world today.

If you can't be compassionate, at least be tactful, and back away from this indefensible and sloppily-constructed position instead of derailing this thread.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:18:51 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2015, 07:05:20 PM »
You also have to thank them natural disasters in Japan for making them bring their games to the west.

After all, none of their games would have officially came translated to English if those events didn't happen.....

"Subterranean Animism" ------> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_T%C5%8Dhoku_earthquake_and_tsunami

"Current Nuclear crisis from Utsuho Reiuji" -----> http://fukushimaupdate.com/

Just saiyan the truth~!

I... wha. Is this a troll or are you actually serious? I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and say you're trolling, but even then, like... saying that those natural disasters are the reason Touhou hasn't been brought to the West instead of, I dunno, stuff like maybe ZUN wasn't quite sure about selling overseas, or he was still thinking about it... literally ANY OTHER REASON besides natural disasters. I mean come on, really? Let's not go there.

Back on the actual subject, I'm also wondering if the western release will be translated. I'm thinking it will, but I dunno, we'll see, I suppose. Still, this is some pretty major news. Hopefully ZUN'll also try getting the older games ported over to the West too. ^^;
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2015, 07:08:49 PM »
Ugh, I really apologize beforehand for feeding this troll discussion, but I just feel the need to point out that ZUN is ONE man, who seems to be reasonably well-off and not in any desperate need of cash.  Therefore I HIGHLY doubt Japan's overall economical situation has much influence on his own personal decisions and his decision to bring Touhou to the west.