Author Topic: Question About Table Usage  (Read 3607 times)

FlamingRok

• Rena is pleased with your efforts.
Question About Table Usage
« on: March 20, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »
Hello, I have come to ask a question that has been lingering in my head for a while now, mainly because I want a way to make my posts in my forum game less ugly, or more refined. My question is...

Is there a way to change how wide each column of a table is?

Basically, the way that the tables work without any modifications made to them seems to be that it tries to even out the space equally, and will expand a column when more characters are implemented in this column in comparison to the others. During this process, however, it also compresses the size of the other columns, making the text more cramped, and difficult to read cleanly. I want to try and fix this, hence why I am posting here in the first place.

This is currently how the table looks as of this moment:

aUsernameIsFineToo (Archer) (Lv. 4)
HP: 6/10
SP: 10/10
Knowledge: 3/4
ATK: 2 | DEF: 0 (1) | SPE: 1
SPD: 1 | Luck: 5%
Cash: 9 | EXP: 7/100
Inner Shards: 2
Items: Apple: Heals 5HP upon use.
Blueberries: Heals 5SP upon use.
Cardboard Shield: Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip. Boosts DEF by 1 (Passive) (Equipped).

Raitaki (Blood Mage) (Lv. 3)
HP: 3/5
SP: 5/5
Knowledge: 1/3
ATK: 1 | DEF: 0 | SPE: 4 (5)
SPD: 1 (2) | Luck: 5%
Cash: 42 | EXP: 75/100
Inner Shards: 0
Items: Plastic Wand: Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip. Boosts SPE by 1 (Passive) (Equipped).
"Exercising For Dummies": Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip. Boosts SPD by 1 (Passive) (Equipped).
Present: What's inside? Who knows! Open to find out (takes an action to do so)!

Kasu (Healer Mage) (Lv. 3)
HP: 8/10
Knowledge: 2/3
ATK: 0 | DEF: 2 | SPE: 1 (2)
Cash: 74 | EXP: 90/100
Items: Items: Plastic Wand: Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip. Boosts SPE by 1 (Passive) (Equipped).

an unmatched sock (Warrior) (Lv. 3)
HP: 6/10
Knowledge: 0/3
ATK: 2 (3) | DEF: 2 (5) | SPE: 0 (-1)
Cash: 31 | EXP: 15/100
Items: Plastic Sword: Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip. Boosts ATK by 1 (Passive) (Equipped).
Cardboard Shield: Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip. Boosts DEF by 1 (Passive) (Equipped).
Chestplate: Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip. Boosts DEF by 2, but lowers SPE by 1 (Passive) (Equipped).

Smashy (Fighter) (Lv. 4)
HP: 3/15
Knowledge: 2/4
ATK: 2 | DEF: -1 (0)| SPE: 2
Cash: 32 | EXP: 5/100
Inner Shards: 1
Items: Cardboard Shield: Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip. Boosts DEF by 1 (Passive) (Equipped).
Dodge Badge: Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip. When you defend, you have a Luck% chance of taking zero damage (Passive) (Equipped).

bigyihsuan (Bookworm) (Lv. 4)
HP: 15/15
Knowledge: 4/5
ATK: 1 (2) | DEF: 1 | SPE: 1
Cash: 25 | EXP: 2/100
Items: Apple (x1): Heals 5HP upon use.
Plastic Sword: Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip. Boosts ATK by 1 (Passive) (Equipped).

Patorikku (Thief) (Lv. 3)
ATK: 1 | DEF: -1 | SPE: 1
SPD: 4 | Luck: 5%
Cash: 75 | EXP: 95/100
Items: Sharpened End: Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip. Grants a 10% chance of inflicting the enemy with Bleeding Tier I (Passive) (Equipped).
Luck Gauntlets: Need 2 Knowledge Points to equip. Boosts Luck by 5% (Passive).

LaserTurtle (Sprinter) (Lv. 3)
HP: 4/10
ATK: 1 (2) | DEF: 0 | SPE: 0
SPD: 4 (7) | Luck: 5%
Cash: 38 | EXP: 73/100
Items: Plastic Sword: Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip. Boosts ATK by 1 (Passive) (Equipped).
Mystery Card: One use. Is said to have 128 different effects, both helpful or harmful...can turn the tide of a battle for either side.
"Exercising For Dummies": Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip. Boosts SPD by 1 (Passive) (Equipped).
Broken Guitar: Previously owned by...LaserTurtle? But that's you, isn't it? In it's current condition, it's unusable.
Music Sheet (Energize): Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip, and guitar. Costs 3SP. When used, the party's ATK, DEF, SPE, and SPD are all increased by 1 for 2 turns.
Wood: It's wood, what else is there to explain?

MewMewHeart (Healer Mage) (Lv. 2)
HP: 9/10
Knowledge: 0/2
ATK: 0 | DEF: 0 (1) | SPE: 2 (3)
Cash: 5 | EXP: 62/100
Items: Items: Plastic Wand: Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip. Boosts SPE by 1 (Passive) (Equipped).
Unknown Script: Shows an image of a person placing a circular object into the slot in the wall. The text is illegible.
Book of Flight: Needs 6 Knowledge Points to equip. Allows user to walk on all terrain (Passive).
Familiar Charm: Need 1 Knowledge Point to equip. Gives the wearer a chance to obtain enemy summon cards upon defeating an enemy (Passive).
Cake: Happy Birthday! Heals up to 50HP. Can be partially eaten and used later.

The Hating Hater (Robot) (Lv. 3)
HP: 9/10
Knowledge: 3/3
ATK: 2 | DEF: 1 | SPE: 1
Cash: 26 | EXP: 63/100
Items: Donut (x4): Heals 1HP and 1SP to entire party upon use.
Present: What's inside? Who knows! Open to find out (takes an action to do so)!
Wood: It's wood, what else is there to explain?

Miniking1 (Townsfolk) (Lv. 3)
Knowledge: 2/3
ATK: 1 (2) | DEF: 0 | SPE: 1
SPD: 2 | Luck: 5%
Cash: 24 | EXP: 13/100
Inner Shards: 1
Bzzit Summon: Need 3 Knowledge Points to equip. Information can be found here.
Apple (x1): Heals 5HP upon use.
Lunchbox (x1): Can be used three times before the item disappears. Heals 20HP and 10SP upon use.
String (x1): It's a piece of string, nothing special here.

As you can see, it displays most of the vital information that is required in the forum game, but it's rather cluttered (though this probably can't be fixed), and the columns are all very uneven (this is what I'm aiming to fix), where the second column is noticeably more cluttered, and the fourth column is visibly larger. I want to try and adjust the code inside this table so that every column is even with the other columns. If this is possible to do, I request to know how to do so. If not, well, it was a nice try at least. Thank you in advance for attempting to help me out with this problem.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Re: Question About Table Usage
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 09:09:08 PM »
I'm not sure, but that might be a limitation with BB Code. You might need to look on the website to see.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 06:50:08 AM »
Unfortunately the table tag is pretty primitive and doesn't let you pass options like width and such to it, and due to security concerns only admins can insert raw HTML. I'll look into adding it.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

FlamingRok

• Rena is pleased with your efforts.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 08:56:46 PM »
Ah, that all makes sense. Thank you for clarifying the limits of table usage. Someone should probably close this thread, as the question at hand has now been answered, and the answer is fulfilling to the asker.